PDA

View Full Version : Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball???!!!!

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

We're thinking of porting the Wii version of Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball (releases May 12!) over to the iPhone. But first I wanted to gauge whether you, iDevice users, would even like to see such a game released on the phone.

Before I go into further detail about the game I'd first like to show you a little eye candy. Here are the first two screenshots that are beimg exclusively revealed on the Touch Arcade forums!

As for gameplay....

We'll use onscreen analog pads to control the characters (much like what is used in most character-based action games). However, for throwing, dodging, jumping, and catching we've decided to go with gesture based controls. We'll have more details about how this will exactly work in the coming weeks.

Oh and one last bit of info I'd like to share with you guys. Wi-Fi Multiplayer will be supported (and when 3.0 comes out we'll patch in Peer-to-Peer too!)

Stay tuned for more details about this ambitious project we're undertaking in the days and weeks to come.

You can also visit us at www.blazinglizard.com for info on all our upcoming projects!

- BL

dannys95
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
It's an interesting idea. If ported correctly I'll look at it,

But it looks like the porting already has begun. :p

yournothere
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
i think it would be nice to have a polished dodgeball game for the iphone and touch. I would totally purchase it if it was out. Looking at the screenshots i think i would like it alot.

nuggetsman28
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
interesting..might pick up for a buck...doubt any higher though...

FilthyCanadian
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
NO, please do not. This was one of the WORST xbla games I've ever played. I buy almost all of the XBLA games, and I made sure to steer clear of this game. The sad thing is, was when the developers of this game delayed the game because of all the negative reviews, then added more garbage modes onto this poor game.

No I would not like to see this game, there's enough trash on the app store.

EDIT: Found this:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/piratesvsninjasdodgeball?q=Pirates vs Ninjas dodgeball

PvN dodgeball currently has a meterating of 44.

A couple of review comments:

GameRevolution:
I am at a loss for something truly positive to say. As much as I want to present something, anything, positive about a product people put time into developing, I cannot. Pirates Vs. Ninjas is just a dumb idea, badly executed.

IGN:
By adding new rules to the game of dodgeball, Blazing Lizard has removed everything that made the schoolyard game fun and replaced it with a bunch of arena brawling game ideas we've seen done better a thousand times over.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:04 PM
NO, please do not. This was one of the WORST xbla games I've ever played. I buy almost all of the XBLA games, and I made sure to steer clear of this game. The sad thing is, was when the developers of this game delayed the game because of all the negative reviews, then added more garbage modes onto this poor game.

No I would not like to see this game, there's enough trash on the app store.

This is not based on the XBLA version and is instead based on the Wii version (a completely different product). Please don't pass judgement until you've checked out the Dodgeball mode in the Wii version.

The iPhone version of PVND will actually feature highly detailed sprites instead of dumbed down versions of our 3D characters. The gameplay itself will be entirely in 2D and based off the classic NES Super Dodgeball game.

FilthyCanadian
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
This is not based on the XBLA version and is instead based on the Wii version (a completely different product). Please don't pass judgement until you've checked out the Dodgeball mode in the Wii version.

The iPhone version of PVND will actually feature highly detailed sprites instead of dumbed down versions of our 3D characters. The gameplay itself will be entirely in 2D and based off the classic NES Super Dodgeball game.

It doesn't matter what platform it's on. The game itself, is a poorly executed dumb idea.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
It doesn't matter what platform it's on. The game itself, is a poorly executed dumb idea.

You haven't even played the Wii verson yet. How can you say it's poorly executed?

If you don't like the idea itself, fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions...

FilthyCanadian
04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
If you don't like the idea itself, fine, everybody is entitled to their opinions...

And so is: IGN, 1UP, My Gamer, EuroGamer, Destructoid, Gamespot, Team XBox, OXM, OXM UK, DarkZero, Game Revolution, XBox World 360 Magazine, GamingTrend, Thunderbolt, and Talk XBox,

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:13 PM
And so is: IGN, 1UP, My Gamer, EuroGamer, Destructoid, Gamespot, Team XBox, OXM, OXM UK, DarkZero, Game Revolution, XBox World 360 Magazine, GamingTrend, Thunderbolt, and Talk XBox,

Those sites reviewed the game poorly because of a few key problems they had with the game (the camera sucked was the big one). Their scores had little to do with the IDEA of the game itself.

FilthyCanadian
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Those sites reviewed the game poorly because of a few key problems they had with the game (the camera sucked was the big one). Their scores had little to do with the IDEA of the game itself.

Game Revolution:

"I am at a loss for something truly positive to say. As much as I want to present something, anything, positive about a product people put time into developing, I cannot. Pirates Vs. Ninjas is just a dumb idea, badly executed."

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Game Revolution:

"I am at a loss for something truly positive to say. As much as I want to present something, anything, positive about a product people put time into developing, I cannot. Pirates Vs. Ninjas is just a dumb idea, badly executed."

Like I said, some people disliked the idea. There is no denying that.

My only point is IF the XBLA version was more fun the reviews would have been higher even if they disliked the general theme of the game.

VoodooVyper
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Wasn't the idea of this game made in a contest. From what I remember, 10 teams or such were gathered and were asked to develop a game in under 10 days and this one was one of the 3 finalists?
I may be mixing two stories together here, so I guess my main question is: was the development of this game done for a contest?

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Wasn't the idea of this game made in a contest. From what I remember, 10 teams or such were gathered and were asked to develop a game in under 10 days and this one was one of the 3 finalists?
I may be mixing two stories together here, so I guess my main question is: was the development of this game done for a contest?

Nope. That was a different dodgeball game created for a Doritos contest.

Shocked
04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the game looks pretty good.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Are there life bars in the Wii version?

Is there a "one hit, one 'kill'" gameplay option in that version?

Is this game anything remotely like Super Dodgeball?

Yes, the Wii version does have health bars. There is not a one hit, one kill option as the gameplay is very fast paced and matches would be over far too quickly.

The Wii version features two modes, DodgeBrawl and DodgeBall.

DodgeBrawl is more combat-centric but is vastly improved from the XBLA version. The levels are more compact. Teams are comprised of 3 v 3 instead of 4 v 4. We removed Special Abilities to make it far more tactical.

DodgeBall features 6 v 6! Teams are comprised of 3 active players and 3 Linesmen positioned on opposite ends of your opponent's court (just like Super Dodgeball). It plays out very similarly to the NES classic.

All I ask is you guys wait until you check out the Wii version of the game before writing off PvN altogether. It's a vastly superior playing product in every way.

dashzed
04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
don't listen to filthycanadian, he's always like that:p

I think it's a great idea, I would consider purchasing it for a buck.

Varkman
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Looking at the screenshots this product is clearly worlds apart from the opriginal XBLA release - it has every potential to be good or even great.

Frankly I'm all for anything that isn't another "me-too" racing game with tilt controls :)

dannys95
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow................this whole thread is turning into people comparing it with other games. People!! THIS IS THEIR GAME. (http://www.piratesvsninjas.com/)So don't compare it with anything else.

Like I said before, I think if done properly this SHOULD be awesome. If done incorrectly....................it will be an epic fail.

Not much of a pep talk but it's the truth. Better than FilthyCanadian's comments anyways.

armaankhan
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
I love cartoon/arcade sports games, and liked the idea of Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball on XBLA but I never bought it because I don't like it when those games have powerups or special powers or anything fancy like that.

From your description, it sounds like you're revamping the game into something I'd actually play, and if you can pull it off, then I'll be more than happy to buy it.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow................this whole thread is turning into people comparing it with other games. People!! THIS IS THEIR GAME. (http://www.piratesvsninjas.com/)So don't compare it with anything else.

Like I said before, I think if done properly this SHOULD be awesome. If done incorrectly....................it will be an epic fail.

Not much of a pep talk but it's the truth. Better than FilthyCanadian's comments anyways.

Same could be said for any game idea. In the end its all about execution and fun factor.

Suffice to say we got our clocks cleaned on the XBLA version. We zagged when we shoulda zigged. We learned our lesson and won't be repeating the same mistake twice.

The iPhone needs a damn good Dodgeball game and we aim to deliver that.

TheOZ
04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Since when does this forum welcome members(developers for that matter) with such a rude awakening, it's sickening. Give them a break it's not cool to just harass him like that especially since he is giving information he doesn't have to give. It's horrible....

supg328911
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
thsi looks pretty cool if it turns out good i will get it..

Rocketman919
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Since when does this forum welcome members(developers for that matter) with such a rude awakening, it's sickening. Give them a break it's not cool to just harass him like that especially since he is giving information he doesn't have to give. It's horrible....

Its not horrible, the dev asked for feedback, and thats what he got. Would you have preferred that people didnt give honest feedback and just told devs their game was great when it sucked? (i dont mean BL, just in general)

While I have not played this game, I have read the reviews and they are bad. I mean really bad.

I personally wont leave any feedback on it (because i havent played it) but i dont think this is a good idea for 2 reasons. First, dodgeball games are a very niche market. Most dodgeball games are just plain boring. Second, you devs dont have a very good track record, so anyone who has heard of this game or played it will probably shy away. Dont expect to sell this thing for 5 bucks, especially when you know of the massive beatdown its getting from review sites.

dannys95
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Same could be said for any game idea. In the end its all about execution and fun factor.

Suffice to say we got our clocks cleaned on the XBLA version. We zagged when we shoulda zigged. We learned our lesson and won't be repeating the same mistake twice.

The iPhone needs a damn good Dodgeball game and we aim to deliver that.

Good, don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I agree, so I hope you can deliver.

Rocketman919
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Wow danny, nobody WAS comparing it to another game. They were comparing it to the game that it is being ported from. And if you have seen the reviews on this game, im pretty sure that it wasnt done correctly at all.

dannys95
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Wow danny, nobody WAS comparing it to another game. They were comparing it to the game that it is being ported from. And if you have seen the reviews on this game, im pretty sure that it wasnt done correctly at all.

People were confused with other games and other version when it's the Wii version being ported.

Rocketman919
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
In my opinion I think it would be best to not make this game. Go ahead and make a game, just not this one. As i said before, dodgeball games usually arent very good. I mean, why play a dodgeball game when you can be playing a football one or a soccer one? It just makes more sense to play those. I also stated before that people who know this game would probably shy away from it, and that is something you dont want. This is why I think it would be best to come up with a totally new game idea. It appears you guys have the ability, all you need is a good idea and some good execution. Or just make a good football game, we need one of those.

Rocketman919
04-22-2009, 06:57 PM
People were confused with other games and other version when it's the Wii version being ported.

Just because of the platform difference doesnt mean its a different game. I bet if you compared the two, very little would be different. It still uses the same base, and as was said in the reviews, the idea and execution were the problems, and that doesnt change from platform to platform.

dannys95
04-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Just because of the platform difference doesnt mean its a different game. I bet if you compared the two, very little would be different. It still uses the same base, and as was said in the reviews, the idea and execution were the problems, and that doesnt change from platform to platform.

XBLA version had diference that were huge mistakes, fixed after reviews.
Wii version is much better, and fixed later on as well.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM

I wish everyone would just forget about the XBLA version. :)

I know that in reality though we're fighting an uphill battle to improve the quality and image of the PvN franchise. I'm hoping the Wii version proves that we do care about quality, fun gameplay.

In the end, we'd like to see the PvN franchise applied to other genres too (Kart Racing anyone?)

As for Dodgeball being boring? Have you tried Super Dodgeball for the NES? That game is still loads of fun to this day...

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM

No offense Rocketman919 but this statement isn't true at all.

The two biggest problems users complained about the XBLA version were the game's camera and the fact that it wasn't really Dodgeball. People's expectations were that it should play like Super Dodgeball for the NES. When we didn't deliver that people were let down. The camera problems were inexcusable and all I can say to that is that it never came up during focus tests.

The Wii version is very, very, very different game. We streamlined the whole experience, revamped the camera, took out special abilities (no one like them anyway), added a old school Dodgeball mode, and just generally improved the overall experience across the board.

In fact, I almost wish we could've called it something different because yea the XBLA version tarnishes it.

dannys95
04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
No offense Rocketman919 but this statement isn't true at all.

The two biggest problems users complained about the XBLA version were the game's camera and the fact that it wasn't really Dodgeball. People's expectations were that it should play like Super Dodgeball for the NES. When we didn't deliver that people were let down. The camera problems were inexcusable and all I can say to that is that it never came up during focus tests.

The Wii version is very, very, very different game. We streamlined the whole experience, revamped the camera, took out special abilities (no one like them anyway), added a old school Dodgeball mode, and just generally improved the overall experience across the board.

In fact, I almost wish we could've called it something different because yea the XBLA version tarnishes it.

Told ya!! Changing the name would not be a bad idea

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Told ya!! Changing the name would not be a bad idea

heh, my hope is we won't have to once the Wii version comes out. :)

armaankhan
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
But the devs have said they've made changes to the idea and execution in response to the criticisms of the XBLA version, so we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

You made an earlier comment that the devs don't have a good track record, I'll say that I recently downloaded iSkydive!, which was done by them, and like it a lot, so to me their track record is just fine. Maybe XBLA wasn't the best platform for their style of design? Guess we'll have to wait and see how Pirates vs Ninjas turns out. I'm optimistic about it.

Question to the devs: have you also taken out the ability to stun opponents with melee attacks? I personally hope so, or at least hope you have the option to turn it off.

BlazingLizard
04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
But the devs have said they've made changes to the idea and execution in response to the criticisms of the XBLA version, so we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

You made an earlier comment that the devs don't have a good track record, I'll say that I recently downloaded iSkydive!, which was done by them, and like it a lot, so to me their track record is just fine. Maybe XBLA wasn't the best platform for their style of design? Guess we'll have to wait and see how Pirates vs Ninjas turns out. I'm optimistic about it.

Question to the devs: have you also taken out the ability to stun opponents with melee attacks? I personally hope so, or at least hope you have the option to turn it off.

In the Wii version, this still exists in DodgeBrawl mode as its crucial to the overall design. However, this was taken out in DodgeBall mode.

The iPhone version will most likely feature DodgeBall mode as that is what seems to be the most popular. Also, the design of this mode caters to the phone's strengths vs. the more action-y DodgeBrawl.

armaankhan
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I wish everyone would just forget about the XBLA version. :)

I know that in reality though we're fighting an uphill battle to improve the quality and image of the PvN franchise. I'm hoping the Wii version proves that we do care about quality, fun gameplay.

In the end, we'd like to see the PvN franchise applied to other genres too (Kart Racing anyone?)

As for Dodgeball being boring? Have you tried Super Dodgeball for the NES? That game is still loads of fun to this day...
Using the PvN brand in other genres would be pretty sweet. Maybe not a racing game because that's super-saturated on the iPhone, but it would be lovely to see other arcade sports apps using the PvN brand/imagery. I suggest tennis and soccer.

BlazingLizard
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey guys, you can follow our development exploits on Twitter! @Blazing Lizard

I promise it'll be more exciting than watching paint dry! :)

FilthyCanadian
04-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I promise it'll be more exciting than watching paint dry! :)

Which is more fun than playing the PvN XBLA game.

BlazingLizard
04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Which is more fun than playing the PvN XBLA game.

I appreciate your kind words.

/ignore