PDA

View Full Version : iPad Steambirds Survival HD (Halfbrick + Spry Fox)

crex
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steambirds-survival-hd/id468595066?mt=8

PraetorianX
10-09-2011, 04:36 PM
It' HD, so , right section:) I got it earlier,played first two levels,liked it. However, i'm always scared with IAP's. If I'm reinstalling, what happens then?

LordGek
10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
It' HD, so , right section:) I got it earlier,played first two levels,liked it. However, i'm always scared with IAP's. If I'm reinstalling, what happens then?

Credit stuff probably won't transfer but things like the Ad disabling IAP will surely follow you onto the new system or reinstallation.

LordGek
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Great Googly Moogly!

This is the game I so wished the original release of Steambirds was and will gladly pay the devs some beans even though I'm just as content unlocking the stuff naturally, I NEED to reward devs for doing good like this!

Basically this is Steambirds HD but not only is there a fair amount of randomization even when playing the same mission (you never know where the baddies will spawn from nor what power-ups they'll drop when blasted), even after you complete a mission you are free to keep going and see how many more baddies you can take out before overcome!

I love how all of the various planes have their own unique stats and abilities, the wide variety of power-ups I've seen so far, and just the general vibe of the game itself!

One of the classic balancing acts this game is constantly presenting is how you must achieve your goal in a limited number of turns which means you have to make every move count. Is that Poison Cloud power-up worth wasting an extra turn to snag? Will going for that power-up put you in more harm's way than it's worth? It's your call!

5/5

Cromwell
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I must say, that I prefer "Crimson:Steam Pirates", because it has a really unique atmosphere, which is underlined by absolutely lovely graphics, with a lot of details. And in my opinion it offers more variety in mission and map design. Steam Birds is a little bit repetitive and somehow "empty". What it lacks is the randomness of Steambirds, but who knows, maybe someday they publish some kind of mission editor, so that you can share missions, MP maps, etc...
Don't get me wrong, Steambirds is still a good game, but Crimson is better in my eyes.

LordGek
10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I must say, that I prefer "Crimson:Steam Pirates", because it has a really unique atmosphere, which is underlined by absolutely lovely graphics, with a lot of details. And in my opinion it offers more variety in mission and map design. Steam Birds is a little bit repetitive and somehow "empty". What it lacks is the randomness of Steambirds, but who knows, maybe someday they publish some kind of mission editor, so that you can share missions, MP maps, etc...
Don't get wrong, Steambirds is still a good game, but Crimson is better in my eyes.

I hear what your saying and it is clearly a matter of taste. I think the Steam Pirates might be a far deeper story and unique missions but there isn't any replayability once you've played a mission. At the same time decent replayability often comes at the cost keeping stuff a tad generic.

Perhaps the original non-randomized Steambirds had more of a storyline?

CzarCastic
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Has the app been removed from the App Store? The link here doesn't work and when I try to search for the game by name it comes up in the search box, but then can't find the app.

missalexis
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Looks like they removed it. I got it in time. :D. Really nicely done. I will be playing this a lot. I do think the tutorial was kind of short though if you have not played original.

LordGek
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Has the app been removed from the App Store? The link here doesn't work and when I try to search for the game by name it comes up in the search box, but then can't find the app.

I did once get a nasty crash from which only reinstalling appeared to get me out of...but it seems to be working okay now.

LordGek
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I think my only whine at this point is, as cooly unique each aircraft you fly in each of the 8 city campaigns, it doesn't appear you ever get to mix an match aircraft. In each campaign if you want to hire any recruits (which are just up to two additional controllable aircraft) they will always be a choice of either the campaign's featured aircraft or the game's very generic no frill aircraft. I can only hope in the 4 or so cities yet to be released they'll enact a little tag team fun where you get to use a variety of aircraft.

PraetorianX
10-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Anybody knows why they removed the app? What happens with IAP's now? Thanks

LordGek
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
The game is way too cool to simply remove permanently. While I have no idea what the technical issues were, other than one early crash, the game has performed seamless for me. I'm willing to bet it will be back up in no time but will ask around anyways.

Doh, just looking at @SpryFox on Twitter and it appears there were some stability issues they're addressing. Maybe it has major problems with iOS 5 coming out in a day or two (I'm playing it on iOS 4.3.5)? I'm not too clear on the specifics.

In the meantime did you know you can play a web version of the game over at http://www.steambirds.com/

I kind of like the mechanics of the web version a bit better, other than the insane purchase price of missions, you can actually fly some as the bad guys like the infamous Monitor (slow moving UFO thingy with 360 degree firing and lots of armor).

I also am finally getting the flow of the City Campaigns. Once you pass a mission you can't replay it but if you complete the first 7 missions you'll open up an essentially endless mission (survive 99 waves...realize that each of these waves is bigger and badder and your plane doesn't get to repair in between them). Since each City Campaign locally tracks your 10 best personal scores (GC tracks your top score in each City Campaign), this final mission is your chance to REALLY blast out some highscores. Bringing in allies in this final survival style mission is VERY EXPENSIVE (allies for the first City Campaign were normally 800-1,400 each, but in this mission they cost 10,000-18,000 each)!

PraetorianX
10-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Thank you LG) So, do you think it's worth it, to unlock all the cities?

LordGek
10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Thank you LG) So, do you think it's worth it, to unlock all the cities?

Hard to say. I did it as I want to show my support for the devs and while I have no issues with IAPs themselves, I hate buying currency based IAPs as then you have NOTHING to show for it if you need to re-install or upgrade devices. At least with this $3 pledge I get all 8 of the currently released cities (I think there is an additional 5 or more still in the coming soon category) all at once and no ads. I made more than enough credits in the first City Campaign to easily buy the next one, but I do believe some of these campaigns will get much more expensive and it may no longer be that easy.

One advantage to this little splurge is that not only can you then save your credits for recruits (as I mentioned above, recruiting folk in the final Survival Mission of these City Campaigns is INSANELY expensive but at the same time the only hope you'd have in getting a decent score in those missions as they start off pretty tough.

I also am liking how at any point I'm now free to pursue any of these 8 City Campaigns. While there is a CLEAR difficulty progression within each campaign, each of these campaigns seem pretty stand alone and primarily vary in the featured craft that all have very unique stats and pre-loaded power-ups. Like in the first Aberdeen Campaign you're riding around in a Dart whose claim to fame is being able to repair itself once and jump into super speed at least 20x in a session (not counting whatever power-ups you snag in the session). The Manchester Campaign is all about the Buster. The Buster is more of a fighter/bomber that comes pre-loaded with 1 repair, 5 bombs, and 5 super speed boosts. So far I'm finding Manchester a very unique experience compared to Aberdeen. The Buster is not as maneuverable but I think has better armor and I find myself trying to setup situations where I intentionally get in the middle of many enemy aircraft coming at me from all angles to then just drop one of my bombs that instantly takes out all nearby enemy craft (luckily I believe friendly aircraft are immune to the blast).

So in the end unlocking all cities is totally optional but a good way, I think, to ensure the rest of the upcoming cities are completed that much faster by the devs. :D

PraetorianX
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Why can't they just make lite free version and regular $3 one? iAP always smells like scum of some kind

spryfox
10-10-2011, 11:55 PM
To be perfectly honest, we accidentally released the game earlier than we intended to, and we pulled it down a few hours later. Everyone who grabbed it before it was pulled down is essentially getting an unplanned sneak peak. :-)

spryfox
10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Why can't they just make lite free version and regular $3 one? iAP always smells like scum of some kind

It's the same thing in this case. We just don't want people being confused into thinking that the free version is a somehow "crippled" or "trial" version. The free version is the complete package and you only need to pay if you want to disable advertisements or otherwise accelerate your progress through the game. It is absolutely possible (and I hope enjoyable) to play your way from start to end of the game without paying a dime.

LordGek
10-11-2011, 04:44 AM
To be perfectly honest, we accidentally released the game earlier than we intended to, and we pulled it down a few hours later. Everyone who grabbed it before it was pulled down is essentially getting an unplanned sneak peak. :-)

Cool. Will the official release be the same build or will it include some improvements?

spryfox
10-11-2011, 12:27 PM
99% the same.

LordGek
10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
99% the same.

Did you address the issue where the Main Menu/Select City/City Campaign screen buttons would occasionally become unresponsive?

LordGek
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
While not usually a fan of games with a lot of "virtual currency" (and therefore IAPs) but, wow, am I loving how that is handled in this game. When the dev said the IAPs in this game are totally optional, he meant it. While I did take the shortcut of paying $3 to unlock all cities, I find I have more than enough credits in-game to afford the only other function these credits seem to serve which is buying allies for the next mission (even if they survive they only last for one mission). What I love about this aspect though is that when I do spend some credits for some extra allies on a mission I feel like I've just ponied up some cash that I'm risking in the game which then drives me to want to at least make more money in this mission than I just staked to play it. The cost of the allies really varies from mission to mission but I'm not sure what drives the price (I think, in general, they get more expensive in later missions of a campaign, but even then it isn't that clear).

spryfox
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Did you address the issue where the Main Menu/Select City/City Campaign screen buttons would occasionally become unresponsive?

Hmmm, I don't think we've actually experienced that ourselves. If you have more info about the issue, please post it here (exactly when it happens, how long the delay is, etc) and I'll forward to our QA team.

LordGek
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Hmmm, I don't think we've actually experienced that ourselves. If you have more info about the issue, please post it here (exactly when it happens, how long the delay is, etc) and I'll forward to our QA team.

I'll try. It might just be something weird with my own machine or do to trying to multi-task with a podcast running in the background. If it comes up again I'll try to get you more specific info.

Will we ever get to play Monitors or Blimps or are they, in practice, not really fun playable characters?

spryfox
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Will we ever get to play Monitors or Blimps or are they, in practice, not really fun playable characters?

Yup, one of the upcoming cities features a blimp-style allied plane. It is slow but powerful and heavily armored. (I personally prefer faster and more agile planes, even if they pack a little less punch.)

ojtitus
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
When can we expect the "official" release?

Saucepolicy
10-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Honestly, how is this different than the trial versions of games on Steam, XBLA and PSN? You download a demo for free, play a few missions to see if you like it and pay to unlock the rest of the content if you want the the full game.

I've always hated lite and full versions of apps, because with very, very few exceptions, you can't carry your progress from a lite version over to the full game. As long as the devs include a "restore purchases" button to get my content back if I somehow lose the unlock, I don't see the problem.

LordGek
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Right now I'm trying to master the Cockroach-Z9 of the Belfast Campaign. In the game they are described as:

Nearly indestructible plane with extremely short range. Get in close and bite!

So what this means in game terms is that the plane come pre-loaded with 50 Shield and 50 U-Turn power-ups each mission. Also this campaign is even nice enough to let you start each Belfast mission with 2 for free and can still bring in 2 more (usually you only start missions with 1 free plane).

They aren't the fastest planes and without the Shield power-up in effect they are in fact VERY DESTRUCTIBLE. While 50 free Shields is more than enough to cover most missions, using a Shield in the game is a little tricky since while shielded you are invulnerable to all enemy fire, you also can't fire back. So the key to using them seems to be rushing right at an enemy plane with the shield on until you are right on top of them or, if you over shoot them in your charge, simply use a u-turn and come in right behind the baddy. This works fine for many of the bigger slow planes but is not as foolproof with the quicker planes (Darts and Arrowheads) nor will it work that well with Monitors (slow moving guys that can fire 360 degrees).

LordGek
10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Honestly, how is this different than the trial versions of games on Steam, XBLA and PSN? You download a demo for free, play a few missions to see if you like it and pay to unlock the rest of the content if you want the the full game.

I've always hated lite and full versions of apps, because with very, very few exceptions, you can't carry your progress from a lite version over to the full game. As long as the devs include a "restore purchases" button to get my content back if I somehow lose the unlock, I don't see the problem.

No, that use of IAPs is actually pretty cool BUT WHAT SUCKS is when you use an IAP to buy credits in a game since these DO NOT TRANSFER to a new device or a reinstall. Basically the disposable IAPs are what I hate so much. By just going for the "Unlock All" I've gotten the equivalent of one of those bigger credit packs, disabled the ads, and can easily restore the purchase on another device. ;)

spryfox
10-12-2011, 12:17 AM
When can we expect the "official" release?

Try now. :-)

Saucepolicy
10-12-2011, 01:53 AM
No, that use of IAPs is actually pretty cool BUT WHAT SUCKS is when you use an IAP to buy credits in a game since these DO NOT TRANSFER to a new device or a reinstall...

I get your point, but that's not entirely true. Most games that save to a remote server track those purchases just fine, even if you reinstall or change devices.

That said, I'm hoping that games supporting iCloud saves in iOS5 will eliminate this issue once and for all.

Rixx
10-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I get your point, but that's not entirely true. Most games that save to a remote server track those purchases just fine, even if you reinstall or change devices.

That said, I'm hoping that games supporting iCloud saves in iOS5 will eliminate this issue once and for all.

The real issue is if you back up your .ipa files, you can reinstall the game yourself. If that game has IAP and it is no longer in the store, then you are screwed. If you stored your .ipa, you can still play the game you purchased, no matter if it still is in the store....unless it has IAP.

Rixx

JoeyLP
10-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Sadly, this could be only Halfbrick game that I do not buy.

LordGek
10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Having now played this a few days I have some questions and suggestions!

Questions:
1) Are new waves triggered by the clearing of current enemies or once a number of turns have passed? Does this depend on the mission?

2) Will two calls for reinforcements (via the power-up) in the same turn have any sort of cumulative effect?

Suggestions:
1) Currently it is very difficult to pull up information/status on a plane when several are in close proximity or very close to a "Command Arrow". I would hope in an update that if a player performs something like a press and hold (or some other gesture technique) the game will switch over to the information of the next plane occupying that exact same area.

2) Could the mission's absolute borders be made a bit clearer? There is little more annoying than flying along to then get stuck up against the invisible barrier. If the borders were better delineated I think it would be easier to avoid such situations.

2) Any hope for some of the upcoming city campaigns to add in the web version's AA guns?

3) While it probably would over complicate things admittedly, any chance we'll see some temporary critical damage effects? In the original game there was the occasional rudder stickage but I have a few new ideas to throw in as well:
a) Accelerator Stuck: No slowdowns while in effect.
b) Engine Hit: Half Speed while in effect.
c) Clunky Ailerons (really have no clue what to call this one): Half of the normal Agility (i.e. much wider turns) while in effect.
d) Partial Gun Jam: The plane will only fire at half the normal rate while in effect.

I think stuff like the above critical effects would really add something to the game's depth but admit it might not work well in the game as it is unlikely that plane with only a sliver of health left will have any chance of making some amazing comeback (by that point they'll more than likely be a completely crippled mess, especially if multiple criticals were in effect at the same time).

Ubisububi
10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
The option to unlock all maps is a pretty reasonable implementation of IAPs, IMO. Jaxx makes a great point about the possibility of apps being pulled, and with them the ability to restore purchases. However, it seems that this is a fairly rare occurrence, and if IAPs enable developers to blunt the effects of piracy then I am willing to support them.

All of this goes out the window, of course, with predatory consumable IAPs. Gladly, this is not the case here.

LordGek
10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
The option to unlock all maps is a pretty reasonable implementation of IAPs, IMO. Jaxx makes a great point about the possibility of apps being pulled, and with them the ability to restore purchases. However, it seems that this is a fairly rare occurrence, and if IAPs enable developers to blunt the effects of piracy then I am willing to support them.

All of this goes out the window, of course, with predatory consumable IAPs. Gladly, this is not the case here.

Yeah, and while unlocking the cities might get into insane credit prices, so far buying a spare ally has never been much more than what I could earn in a couple of runs.

LordGek
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, a BIG question I forgot to get in my previous post!

Does my poison effect allies? While it seems all allies on screen when I initially lay it are immune, I'm pretty sure later reinforcements are affected by my poison trails.

spryfox
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
> Are new waves triggered by the clearing of current enemies or once a
> number of turns have passed? Does this depend on the mission?

Its both; if you clear all the enemies on the map the next wave will automatically spawn. Otherwise, there are a couple variables that determine spawn rate, and they vary per mission.

> Will two calls for reinforcements (via the power-up) in the same turn have
> any sort of cumulative effect?

Right now, you can only call one group of reinforcements per turn.

> Any hope for some of the upcoming city campaigns to add in the web
> version's AA guns?

Probably not; most people seemed to have the AA guns in the Web version.

> any chance we'll see some temporary critical damage effects?

Anything is possible. :-) But we don't have this planned right now; lots of other things need to be improved / smoothed out first. I agree this would be very cool though!

Oh and to your other post: yes, your poison *will* affect your allies, so use it carefully.

LordGek
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Another easy fix, I'm sure:

Currenty, after the End of Mission screen the palyer is dumped back to the City Select screen. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to drop the player back IN the last selected city?

Having unlocked all of the cities and jumping back and forth between all of the campaigns, I just finished one of the Belfast missions (the Cockroach twins) but if I want to jump right to the next mission in the campaign but now I need to scroll down to Belfast and reload that campaign. If I'm in the midst of a campaign it only makes sense that I'd want easy access to starting that next mission by beign dropped right from the End of Mission screen back to the Belfast Campaign screen. If I do want to switch things up and go to another city then I can hit the back button and choose another city from the City Select screen.

LordGek
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
UPDATE v1.1!

(going from memory here)

-Fixes nasty iOS 5 crash bugs.
-Adds a new City Campaign (and therefore a new featured aircraft in 8 new missions).
-Adds a new recruit option for most of the campaigns (the asking price to have this jet join a mission is insane, but then again, so are its stats/abilities).

LordGek
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
v1.2 Update!
First and foremost, there's a new city available, featuring a new unique plane as always! And of course, a bunch of bug fixes and improvements:

- The price of recruits has been slashes significantly. You should be able to hire recruits much more often now.
- Fixed bugs with achievements
- Fixed a bug with poison gas not causing the appropriate amount of damage.
- Saving game data to Open Feint's servers
- Other random, minor fixes and improvements

Choosing the new city causes my iPad 1G to crash 100% of the time...might even try a fresh install to see if it helps.