PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Snoopy's Street Fair out NOW...

Snooptalian
11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snoopys-street-fair/id474517295?mt=8

mashead2000
11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Nice!!! Been waiting all day for this lol!!! Replacement for Dragonvale me thinks :)

New England Gamer
11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Nice!!! Been waiting all day for this lol!!! Replacement for Dragonvale me thinks :)
More like replacement for Smurfs!

Shhh don't tell my nephews.... Then I won't have to play for the sole purpose of sending them gifts!

Snooptalian
11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Having fun with this. Never got in to the Smurfs so much. This one has cool stuff to unlock like classis comic strips which is a nice touch. Game Center is integrated, but there are no leaderboards OR achievements. Surely achievements, etc. will get updated in real soon...

New England Gamer
11-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Having fun with this. Never got in to the Smurfs so much. This one has cool stuff to unlock like classis comic strips which is a nice touch. Game Center is integrated, but there are no leaderboards OR achievements. Surely achievements, etc. will get updated in real soon...
No Smurfs was that way too - they use Game Center for visiting friends' villages when you get to the right level that it allows you to.

Sanuku
11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I`ll give it a try and report back as soon as i can.

New England Gamer
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I`ll give it a try and report back as soon as i can.
It's free - and it's pretty fun. I need another world to control like I need a hole in my head but I am sure since it is free people who like freemium will like the differences this game actually does give.

hico
11-16-2011, 09:14 PM
No images, no video to preview. But it's free, so I will try it.

Sanuku
11-16-2011, 09:29 PM
HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2/First few Minutes):

7W-jpkChnlY

Cassette
11-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm a huge Peanuts fan, so I will definitely try this.

MJY8
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
pb7m1RsDjb0
my gamecenter id : MJY8.com

floob
11-17-2011, 12:45 AM
bird sounds are quickly becoming annoying

EB1089
11-17-2011, 04:14 AM
Surely achievements, etc. will get updated in real soon...

Not likely but possible. I say that b/c Smurfs' Village has Game Center integration but no leaderboards (what's there really to be on a leaderboard for in Smurfs Village? lol) and no achievements, plus it's made by the same company Beeline (which is really just Capcom's mobile arm). On a side note, I'm still mad at Capcom for cancelling my Mega Man Legends 3 on 3DS. :mad:

multimage
11-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Played for some time last night and a little bit this morning. Here are my impressions so far:

Pros:
- The Peanuts "feel" is there. They did not overdo anything and it seems that the characters are true to their usual behavior. At some point, Charlie Brown gets a letter and says "Wow! A letter? For me?", which fits very well with him not usually receiving anything. Having been exposed to the whole Peanuts culture since childhood, I feel that it is done very well in the game.
- No visual glitches. It's done very well for an isometric game. No z-order messup. (I'm looking at you Zombie farm). Characters do not walk through hard objects (I'm still looking at you, Zombie Farm, with zombies walking through fences). It feels just right when looking at it.
- No lag. It doesn't seem to be connecting to a server for each little thing you do. (Get that, Tiny Farm?) Everything is very smooth.
- Cool unlockables. You can actually get classic comic strips now and then. I think this is a nice touch. There's also costumes for Snoopy, baseball cards, character icons, etc. And the minigame I have unlocked is OK too. It all adds a little variety to the game.

Cons:
- The paywall shows its ugly face after about 3 minutes of play. Seriously, you need about 1000 Snoopy Dollars to buy everything in the game, maybe even more. I got 8 so far, and I'm now getting them at a slower pace than at the beginning. I'm guessing 2-4 Snoopy Dollars per day now. That's not a lot considering that the Linus Stand is 30 Snoopy Dollars. And this is just ONE stand. Which brings me to the next problem.
- The Snoopy Dollars cost way too much. So you need 30 Snoopy Dollars for that Linus Stand. OK, how about buying 50 Snoopy Dollars from an IAP for 5$?! 5 hard earned dollars for 50 Snoopy Dollars! And this is the minimum! There are no IAP at 1$, nope. It starts at 5$, and this is the only way to get those dollars fast.
- The most popular members of the Peanuts crew all cost Snoopy Dollars except Sally and Rerun. So you want Linus? 30 Snoopy Dollars. Lucy's Psychiatric Stand? 30 Snoopy Dollars. Woodstock? 75 Snoopy Dollars! Seventy-five Snoopy Dollars, or 7.50$! And there's like 20 of those stands, not mentionning all the objects like flowers, benches, pool, and even the minigames!

So yeah, I understand this game is supposed to be played periodically like all the freemium games. I get that. I have to work long and hard to earn the whole crew. But come on! IAP is getting ridiculous now. I mean 5$ to get 1/200th of the game? Please! I can get 5 great, complete games for that price. But this is just typical corporate thinking cashing in on a popular franchise whose creator is long dead by now.

To recap, the game feels great, it doesn't lag, there are no glitches, the Peanuts feeling is well done and there's a lot of stuff to find and to do. So in that sense, it's a great game. But the IAP is completely killing it for me. It's just too much now. Way, way too much.

tmc701
11-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I'd have to agree about the IAP, multimage… I'm guessing they're paying a pretty penny for the license to begin with. Hopefully the economics of it pan out and they either start rewarding more in-app bucks per day/level or lower the overall prices.

Speaking of IAP… does anyone know if the snoopy costumes/minigames unlock at higher levels automatically, or do they require purchase?

EB1089
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Hopefully the economics of it pan out and they either start rewarding more in-app bucks per day/level or lower the overall prices.

Seriously not likely to happen. At all. This is quite literally Smurfs Village with a Peanuts coat of paint over it, including the ridiculous IAPs. Welcome to TA by the way, tmc701 =)

New England Gamer
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Another game bound to be the subject of news reports that children racked up multiple hundreds of dollars without their parents knowledge.

Wow, just what a way to milk the system.

Sxethang
11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Another game bound to be the subject of news reports that children racked up multiple hundreds of dollars without their parents knowledge.

Wow, just what a way to milk the system.

But parents SHOULD know to not keep an open credit card on theirs kids accounts though. Should being the key word!! :rolleyes:

GregB
11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
The game has a notice up front about IAP and tells you how to disable it. The photo kith is cool - it lets you make pix with snoopy missing you. And it's free to place in-game.

The greeting cards are also nice and free.

Agree completely about the Peanuts feel - its very good even with snoopy doing his happy dance from time to time.

I enjoyed my the game for an hour or so and hit he IAP wall. Will likely delete soon, unfortunately.

C.Hannum
11-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately, it's just another Beeline product - reasonably polished for a freemium builder and has a lot of good applications of the setting, but if you've played Smurfs, Monster Petshop, or Dream Park, then you've already played this game and you're also well aware of the dubious price to entertainment value you'll get playing yet another Beeline title.

Capcom needs to rethink their approach to free to play titles, because I think they've about beat the reskinning of freemium builder games to death.

I'll leave it on my device a bit longer, but if it continues in this same vein for more than a couple of weeks, it'll wind up binned like every other Beeline title I've downloaded.

Cromwell
11-17-2011, 06:26 PM
This game has no real objective. Yes, it looks nice and you got the peanuts feeling. But at all this game is so pointless. You do not have to think just a little bit. But I think that is intended...^^ ;)
It is for the dumb cows who like to be milked again and again... ^^
And it is like strawberry chewing gum, you will never be fully satisfied, because you just get the taste, not the fruit.

@beeline What about inventing something real new? Walking the beaten track over and over again and trying to milk the customers where you can doesn't make your company more likeable. Do something for the money you want!

multimage
11-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Do something for the money you want!

Sadly, they are getting the money they want. While most people on TA are against that kind of IAP milking, most of the crowd don't have a clue and will buy the IAP just to get that other character. Just go to the "friends fair" section and visit some random fair. Many of them have about 50~100 Snoopy Dollars worth of items. That's 10$ right there.

As a gamer, I feel sad that this model is working out so well for these companies. It encourages them to just keep going with that bullshit and in the long run, the gamers are the ones who will suffer from this.

As a developper, it saddens me even more. To see those big corps raking in the money while I'm sitting here, trying to bring something new to the table, and not even making 10% back of what I invested in time for just one game. So those big games which are all the same will keep on being made, and small indie devs, trying new innovative stuff for the gamers and for the sake of gaming, will get to do one game and then close shop.

It's sad really. Surely people will wake up at one point and stop getting involved in those shitty freemium games. But as history teaches, people tend to wake up when it's too late.

Also, not all freemium games are bad. Take a look at Pocket Frogs for example. You can do everything without needing to buy any IAP unless you want to go a little bit faster. These work very well. But freemium games like Smurfs, Snoopy, Tiny Farm, Zombie Farm, etc. should all burn in hell for the damage they are doing to gaming in the long run.

Artfoundry
11-19-2011, 06:07 PM
The game has a notice up front about IAP and tells you how to disable it. The photo kith is cool - it lets you make pix with snoopy missing you. And it's free to place in-game.

The greeting cards are also nice and free.

Agree completely about the Peanuts feel - its very good even with snoopy doing his happy dance from time to time.

I enjoyed my the game for an hour or so and hit he IAP wall. Will likely delete soon, unfortunately.

I agree - great feel and those extra features are cool (I already posted a few pics of my daughter with Snoopy, etc. on Facebook, and you can even view original Peanuts comic strips). So far, I haven't hit the wall, but I can see that happening in the near future. It does seem like an awful lot of content is IAP.

skeevs
11-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree - great feel and those extra features are cool (I already posted a few pics of my daughter with Snoopy, etc. on Facebook, and you can even view original Peanuts comic strips). So far, I haven't hit the wall, but I can see that happening in the near future. It does seem like an awful lot of content is IAP.

Agreed!

Artfoundry
11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Anyone figured out how to get Snoopy to wear his outfits? The Flying Ace minigame says to tap the button to have him wear the outfit, but when I do that, it just moves the camera to show the house. Snoopy never wears any of the outfits.

JustAGamer
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Anyone figured out how to get Snoopy to wear his outfits? The Flying Ace minigame says to tap the button to have him wear the outfit, but when I do that, it just moves the camera to show the house. Snoopy never wears any of the outfits.

There is a Flying Ace minigame and outfit? I only see the Beagle Scout and Artist costumes in the mninigame panel.

Artfoundry
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
There is a Flying Ace minigame and outfit? I only see the Beagle Scout and Artist costumes in the mninigame panel.

The very first one, in which you're supposed to have Snoopy jump in the leaves - that's tied to the Ace outfit (as far as I can tell).

soldat7
11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
This is only at about #51 for Top Grossing Apps, so maybe they'll lighten up on the extreme IAPs.

sooz
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
There are so many great things (the art, the voices, the booth ideas) about this game. It's a shame the IAP is SO darn aggressive. Tiny Tower is the one game I've seen really do it well. Snoopy's 2 bucks per level up is ridiculous. The game maker's greed is really the focus of the experience instead of the great intellectual property. If they want to make money - they need to offer more to do in the game (better mini games, better interaction with the characters/booths, more objectives/achievements) and make it easier to gain the critical currency in game.

I hope soldat7 is right...I want to love this game. And I want to spend money on it. But I just refuse until there's some value.

Artfoundry
11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm actually still playing it and still have non-IAP stuff to work toward. However, gameplay definitely isn't there - it's pretty mindless. If it weren't for the sentimentality of it, I would have stopped playing long ago. The one nice thing is the real life extras - the picture composites and the greeting cards. I can actually find uses for those (not frequently, but they're there).

multimage
12-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm actually still playing it and still have non-IAP stuff to work toward. However, gameplay definitely isn't there - it's pretty mindless. If it weren't for the sentimentality of it, I would have stopped playing long ago. The one nice thing is the real life extras - the picture composites and the greeting cards. I can actually find uses for those (not frequently, but they're there).

Yep. Same for me. I keep on playing only for sentimentality value. Right now I'm playing 10 minutes per day, scattered across 3 sessions of 6 hours wait. I'm now at level 18 with 34 snoopy dollars and I just don't know what would be the best use of it. The booths have nice characters but they don't add anything, and it bugs me that they say the exact same thing each time Charlie Brown goes up to them. Expanding south? Why would I spend my 30 dollars for more space? The minigames? The lemon one is bugged for me so I don't want to pay to unlock the other ones that might be as buggy.

It's a shame. So much potential going to waste...

Keri1972
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
My reffreal code is GBgrytd i enjoy gifts and baseball cardes