PDA

View Full Version : iPad Fairway Solitaire HD problems

Jacobtf
02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
I discovered that Big Fish Games released Fairway Solitaire for iPad and since I enjoyed it on PC, I decided to check it out on the iPad.

Well, like many of the rather expensice (for the AppStore) games I have previously purchased from Big Fish Games, the game seems to crash. Now, for my previous purchases, I had gotten the full, 5-10 dollar versions and they played well on both my iPad and iPad 2 having iOS 4.3.3. But after upgrading to 5.0.1, the iPad crashes on many of them, thus rendering at least $50 of games useless on the iPad (1). They mostly work on the iPad 2, so I suspect it's up to iOS 5 using more RAM.

The fact is that it crashes after the first level on both my iPad 1 and 2. Sure, I have just downloaded the free version, but it's not exactly something that persuades me to dash out for the full version, since it will probably keep crashing. I do however see other people giving it good reviews, so I was wondering what might be the problem. Both my iPads are jailbroken, since I adore IntelliScreenX, FolderEnhancer and Gridlock. But I have had a friend trying to install the game on a stock 5.0.1 iPad 2 and his crashes to - even after a cold reboot!

Since Big Fish Games haven't reacted at all to the complaints I have previous sent them, I'm going to try here instead. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

Thanks in advance.

Fuzzyaardvark
02-15-2012, 07:11 AM
I have the exact same problem of it crashing after the first level on my iPad 2. It is not jail broken and everything else on it is closed down so I am not sure what else to try.

I really want this game and want to give them my money. I hope it is fixed soon.

LordGek
02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
I find it interesting that the non iPad version weighs in at 466M while this one is only 249M. Perhaps the HD build uploaded was corrupted somehow?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fairway-solitaire-hd-big-fish/id428393840?mt=8

LordGek
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I just cleared the first two levels of the non-HD version on my iPod Touch 4G (notorious for memory issues) w/o issue.

Did you see the little cartoon after the first level (or maybe it was the second level)? I'm willing to bet there are some missing files in that 249M FS HD.

Fuzzyaardvark
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I find it interesting that the non iPad version weighs in at 466M while this one is only 249M. Perhaps the HD build uploaded was corrupted somehow?]

The size difference is odd.

I got mine from the UK store so I checked the American one to see if people there were having problems, but so far no-one has mentioned it. Of course it is still early over there.

EDIT No, no cartoon, as soon as you place the last card it crashes.

pka4916
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
No problems for me so far.. I'm at Course 3 now.

Guess what I don't understand with this game what is the purpose of those golf clubs that you can buy? seems like it's changing the card sometimes?

LordGek
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
No problems for me so far.. I'm at Course 3 now.

Guess what I don't understand with this game what is the purpose of those golf clubs that you can buy? seems like it's changing the card sometimes?

I can field this one as a big fan of the original PC version.

The clubs are just one time use reserve cards to get you out of a bind. If out on the field are a '6' and '7' but your current face up card is a 'K', just pull out that 8 Iron (just a cute name for your spare '8') and now you can play the '7' and then '6' onto it.

pka4916
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I can field this one as a big fan of the original PC version.

The clubs are just one time use reserve cards to get you out of a bind. If out on the field are a '6' and '7' but your current face up card is a 'K', just pull out that 8 Iron (just a cute name for your spare '8') and now you can play the '7' and then '6' onto it.

Thanks for the info.

btw. I did get an animation after the 1 course...
going underground where is is drawing on a board lol

LordGek
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

btw. I did get an animation after the 1 course...
going underground where is is drawing on a board lol

If you can make it past the second course without incident, perhaps it really is just an issue with jailbroken devices (not that I have tried it as I went straight to the iPhone version to be safe).

pka4916
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
If you can make it past the second course without incident, perhaps it really is just an issue with jailbroken devices (not that I have tried it as I went straight to the iPhone version to be safe).

My Ipad2 64Gb is JB though for GenR. but no problems so far.
I'm really liking this game.. I'm in Area 4 now

btw. how do you get that Golf shooting thing to work at the right top?
It worked 1 time for me, and got 1000 coins, but no clue how I managed that.

LordGek
02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
My Ipad2 64Gb is JB though for GenR. but no problems so far.
I'm really liking this game.. I'm in Area 4 now

Again, no problem, it's based on streaks, i.e. how many cards you can move to the base in a row without having to turn over a new card from the deck. It will take some real monster streaks during a single game to win that 1,000, though. Most of the time I find I'm lucky if I end a hole with 20-50 extra bucks from my streaks.

While this is a DEAD-ON port of Fairway Solitaire 2 on the PC, I still think the original Fairway Solitaire 1 on the PC was a lot better than the sequel (on any device). To access each subsequent course you had to fulfill some arbitrary objective in the previously unlocked course like ending a game with a score under -8 par or getting a streak of 20+ in a single hole (those are some of the much later course explained there, the early objectives were much more forgiving). As far as I can tell now all you have to do is finish a course under par to open the next one.

Happy W
02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Tried the non-HD version on my iPod this evening (a fourth gen. iPod Touch, which hasn't been jailbroken).

The game crashed after I'd completed the first course. Upon re-starting the game, I found that it hadn't saved my progress—I had to play through the tutorial again. This time, the game didn't crash once I'd completed the first course. I began the second course, and after completing the second hole of that course, the game crashed once more.

Filed away now under "games that seem like they might be fun but need an update before I go near them again".

pka4916
02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Sounds like the Iphone version is broken. try turning the Airplane mode to ON. Seems to fix problems
for other games in the past

Ipad is working fine

Happy W
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
try turning the Airplane mode to ON. Seems to fix problems for other games in the past

I had my iPod in airplane mode while it was crashing, so it doesn't look like that's the problem this time.

That's a combo meter, basically. Get a run of cards long enough (I think it's six cards in a row without needing to take a new card from the deck) and the meter will start filling up. An audio cue kicks in at this point too. Keep that run going until the meter fills all the way, and you receive the 1000 bucks bonus.

Bastet
02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I discovered that Big Fish Games released Fairway Solitaire for iPad and since I enjoyed it on PC, I decided to check it out on the iPad.

Well, like many of the rather expensice (for the AppStore) games I have previously purchased from Big Fish Games, the game seems to crash. Now, for my previous purchases, I had gotten the full, 5-10 dollar versions and they played well on both my iPad and iPad 2 having iOS 4.3.3. But after upgrading to 5.0.1, the iPad crashes on many of them, thus rendering at least $50 of games useless on the iPad (1). They mostly work on the iPad 2, so I suspect it's up to iOS 5 using more RAM.

The fact is that it crashes after the first level on both my iPad 1 and 2. Sure, I have just downloaded the free version, but it's not exactly something that persuades me to dash out for the full version, since it will probably keep crashing. I do however see other people giving it good reviews, so I was wondering what might be the problem. Both my iPads are jailbroken, since I adore IntelliScreenX, FolderEnhancer and Gridlock. But I have had a friend trying to install the game on a stock 5.0.1 iPad 2 and his crashes to - even after a cold reboot!

Since Big Fish Games haven't reacted at all to the complaints I have previous sent them, I'm going to try here instead. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

Thanks in advance.
Absolutely the same problem on ipad 2. Hope they will fix it

maskeddog
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I've played through the first chapter and the first course in chapter 2 and haven't had a single problem. I'm running it on an iPad 1 with 5.0.1 and downloaded it from the US store yesterday afternoon (Feb. 15).

OK, just checked both stores. Most, if not all, of the reviews in the UK store mention the crashing problem. Out of 22 reviews in the US store, one mentions that "it tends to crush a few". I'm assuming that person meant crash instead of crush.

I think that Fuzzyaardvark is right. They must've uploaded the wrong version to the UK store.

pka4916
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm on course 9 and no problems what so ever..
Only thing is that I can't pass this course lol... it's getting hard indeed :)
but it's an awesome game.

Fuzzyaardvark
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
I've played through the first chapter and the first course in chapter 2 and haven't had a single problem. I'm running it on an iPad 1 with 5.0.1 and downloaded it from the US store yesterday afternoon (Feb. 15).

OK, just checked both stores. Most, if not all, of the reviews in the UK store mention the crashing problem. Out of 22 reviews in the US store, one mentions that "it tends to crush a few". I'm assuming that person meant crash instead of crush.

I think that Fuzzyaardvark is right. They must've uploaded the wrong version to the UK store.

I sent an email to BigFish explaining that it seemed to be broken in the UK but I don't hold much hope of them paying any attention.

bgribin
02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm unable to download the iPhone version now - maybe they pulled it?

Fuzzyaardvark
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
It has been updated and I just now finally got past the first level. It works!

There goes my sleep tonight.

Laire
02-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Like others, I've played through the first few stages of HD without crashing incident. There's also a comment on the 2/16 update saying "Fixes to prevent the came from crashing on devices set to unsupported languages," so that may some of the issues otehr people had been having.

I actually came to this topic to see if anyone could explain the bizarre memory size difference - 250MB HD vs 466MB Standard. Is the High Definition version missing content? Or is the Standard Version inflated in size for some unknown reason?

I like the game and I'm tempted to buy it, but space availablity is a concern - I'd rather have several smaller aps than a few graphically impressive ones (I WAS raised in the 2600/NES era, after all!). If I can get the same gameplay at lower resolution, lower cost and a smaller file size, I tend to go that route.

While the regular version is cheaper ($1 vs $3), that nearly doubled file size leaves me scratching my head.

pka4916
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking that the Iphone version has also Retina support in it, so it double the size sometimes... But I might be wrong :o

1nonya1
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Plays just fine on my iPhone 4S. I'm starting to dominate the online rankings.
Addictive as hell.

farjo08
02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
The only crash I experienced was after a wild card, I got that rare gopher flush card. Otherwise no problems (about halfway through the send set of courses).

Teagan
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have been playing on my iPad (bought the full game after becoming addicted) without any crashes thus far. :) Its obviously not a universal problem bc I usually am plagued by those lol

Zallman
03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Runs like a champ on my ipad2. I'm on the third page of courses now.
No crashes.

crunc
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't think I've had any crashes on my iPad 2. Game is fun, though I have gotten a little burnt out and now just play a course at a time and on occasion, which is perfectly fine. This is a great game to take a break with from other games.

PCKid
03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Problem with Gamecenter. My friend is playing it also on the iPad but i see all her other games in Gamecenter but not Fairway Solitaire HD. Anyone else have this problem?

jyhjyh
03-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Problem with Gamecenter. My friend is playing it also on the iPad but i see all her other games in Gamecenter but not Fairway Solitaire HD. Anyone else have this problem?

There is no GameCenter in the iPad version.

PCKid
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
There is no GameCenter in the iPad version.

Now that just might explain it :)