PDA

View Full Version : beta testers -- someone with experience from ibetatest.com?

Anders
05-30-2009, 07:45 AM
We are probably going to do some external beta testing for our next game, and in the search of good beta testers I stumbled upon ibetatest.com (http://ibetatest.com). Is there anyone here with any experience from using the site, either as a beta tester or as a developer?

Thanks in advance!

(I think we are going to select 50% of the beta testers that already have a rating on the site, and 50% with no rating at all)

yourofl10
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm on ibetatest.com I think it's easy to use and very helpful. There;s alot of people on there.I think you should give it a shot.

Marioman619
05-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I just joined there, seems very nice. It should make everything a lot easier.

VeganTnT
05-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm on there as well but I haven't got a request from there as of yet =/

I was starting to think it was all beta testers and no devs

nattylux
05-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Haven't tried iBetaTest, but we've actually had great experiences just recruiting beta testers directly from TouchArcade and Twitter. We've gotten great feedback, and since we all hang out in the same place, the people are trustworthy. For example, VeganTnT has now beta tested 2 of our games and gave some really helpful feedback - and I remember him blogging about Imangi about 10 months ago, so there's a history there :) Also, the TA people who beta test your game will generally go on to talk it up after the game comes out.

What I usually like to do is post a thread previewing the game, and somewhere in the middle start recruiting people for the beta. That way, the people who respond are the ones that have been following your thread all along, and you know they're interested in the game. Not just people who jump on a thread with the word "beta" in it because they want a free game.

I've also gotten a lot of interested people on Twitter, and that's another community that weeds itself out. If they're following my posts closely enough to see my call for beta testers, then they're genuinely interested and will probably give good feedback. And again - since they're on Twitter, they will advertise your game for you once it comes out, which is always great.

dannys95
05-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I think it would be better to go with ppl here on TA as natty said.
Anders: I hope I'm trustworthy to beta test!!! :D ;)

codepunk
05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I have gotten a few good testers from ibetatest however you need to be very careful and I would not release to unknown people unless you have anti-cracking code in place. If you do not you stand the chance of the game being cracked then leaked to the pirates before even being released.

Anders
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm on there as well but I haven't got a request from there as of yet =/

I was starting to think it was all beta testers and no devs

I'm not sure, but don't you have to manually apply for beta testing? I don't think you can just sit back and wait. Not sure though.

Anders
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Haven't tried iBetaTest, but we've actually had great experiences just recruiting beta testers directly from TouchArcade and Twitter. We've gotten great feedback, and since we all hang out in the same place, the people are trustworthy. For example, VeganTnT has now beta tested 2 of our games and gave some really helpful feedback - and I remember him blogging about Imangi about 10 months ago, so there's a history there :) Also, the TA people who beta test your game will generally go on to talk it up after the game comes out.

What I usually like to do is post a thread previewing the game, and somewhere in the middle start recruiting people for the beta. That way, the people who respond are the ones that have been following your thread all along, and you know they're interested in the game. Not just people who jump on a thread with the word "beta" in it because they want a free game.

I've also gotten a lot of interested people on Twitter, and that's another community that weeds itself out. If they're following my posts closely enough to see my call for beta testers, then they're genuinely interested and will probably give good feedback. And again - since they're on Twitter, they will advertise your game for you once it comes out, which is always great.

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ibetatest.com can be used as a tool, as in you can add beta testers yourself, from TA for instance. there seems to be a neat little bug repporting/feature suggestion system too.

The problem is that if you let 100 people beta test your app, I reckon around half of them will actually be helpful in some way (i.e. report bugs, come with suggestions etc). The idea behind ibetatest.com is pretty novel, the beta testers get a rating so it's pretty easy to pick ones that are good.

That said, I would love to have people from TA beta test.

Anders
05-30-2009, 12:13 PM
I think it would be better to go with ppl here on TA as natty said.
Anders: I hope I'm trustworthy to beta test!!! :D ;)

Sure! ;)

Anders
05-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I have gotten a few good testers from ibetatest however you need to be very careful and I would not release to unknown people unless you have anti-cracking code in place. If you do not you stand the chance of the game being cracked then leaked to the pirates before even being released.

Aha, good point!

charlieiscool12
05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
ibetatest is great, although i havent used it from the dev point of view

VeganTnT
05-30-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure, but don't you have to manually apply for beta testing? I don't think you can just sit back and wait. Not sure though.

I thought it was both =/ at least that's what I was told.

So devs could hand pick people that they would like to beta test for them.

Looks like I need to be more active on there now

Stykman
05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
i dont really like ibetatest as a tester myself you dont or barely have contact with anyone

i hope im trustworthy enough to beta test

Anders
05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
i dont really like ibetatest as a tester myself you dont or barely have contact with anyone

i hope im trustworthy enough to beta test

I thought it was both =/ at least that's what I was told.

So devs could hand pick people that they would like to beta test for them.

Looks like I need to be more active on there now

If you go to http://ibetatest.com/iphone/controllers/betas/ you can see the apps that are looking for beta testers, then you just click "apply for testing" for the ones you are interested in beta testing, easy peasy lemon squeezy. The devs aren't going to hunt you down, you have to apply for the ones that interest you.

Spartan12103
05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Hmm I've beta tested but never there.

VeganTnT
05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
If you go to http://ibetatest.com/iphone/controllers/betas/ you can see the apps that are looking for beta testers, then you just click "apply for testing" for the ones you are interested in beta testing, easy peasy lemon squeezy. The devs aren't going to hunt you down, you have to apply for the ones that interest you.

I've done that before but I never got a notice that I was accepted or declined. I tried it again and I got an email saying that my application was submitted (never got that before)

Maybe the site was just having issues when I applied the first time?

Anders
05-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I've done that before but I never got a notice that I was accepted or declined. I tried it again and I got an email saying that my application was submitted (never got that before)

Maybe the site was just having issues when I applied the first time?

Aha, I dunno. That doesn't sound too good. Perhaps the spam filter caught it, or it simply doesn't work, or perhaps the dev never actually accepted/declined.

VeganTnT
05-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Aha, I dunno. That doesn't sound too good. Perhaps the spam filter caught it, or it simply doesn't work, or perhaps the dev never actually accepted/declined.

I checked back and the beta I applied to says it has no more open slots. But the application I sent hasn't been approved.

So I think that a dev says they have X spots. The X amount of spots are shown and every application fills a spot until it's declined. If there is 1 slot left and 2 people apply then one goes through and the other (usually me :() ends up in limbo. Cause it says I applied, which I did, but the dev won't ever see it. Or maybe they saw it but they already had their slots filled

If you end up using it please please let us know how it works on the devs side. I'd love to know how it works

Cheers!

Clymos
05-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I saw that site and even made an account I believe but I never use it. I find that betas are often more promising here (from a testers side of course) but really TA members are often pretty good beta testers as we can help hype up a game here before and after it's relase. Plus there is a very large community here. I don't know exactly how the site works but it is true there is no real way to tell how good beta testers are on here. Unless of course you contact others devs they beta tested for. If you end up getting testers from here I hope I am considered :)

Marioman619
05-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm just wondering why they implemented the use of incentives. Beta testing is supposed to be voluntary (for the most part). I've never expected or asked for anything after beta testing, apart from the success of the app.

Shocked
05-31-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm just wondering why they implemented the use of incentives. Beta testing is supposed to be voluntary (for the most part). I've never expected or asked for anything after beta testing, apart from the success of the app.

I never mind a promo code, but I don't ask for more, I just enjoy knowing I got it early.. :)

I mean, I do it for fun an to help out the devloper.. There seperation of forums and real site is annoying, and they need to implement a PM system without the forums, and make it so you can reply to Developer's emails..

I just realized today, that the email I sent in reply to "so how is it going" idnt reach them sense I replied to the email ibetatest sends out....

PointOfLight
05-31-2009, 01:09 AM
My personal experience with ibetatest.com is that it's a great place for getting the latest betas on a project, but not so good for interaction between beta testers. The mechanism for leaving reports, suggestions, etc. is like a hybrid between a forum and a social group, and it just doesn't seem all that friendly to me. Plus, I don't think there's a way that you can be notified if someone has replied to anything you post on a thread at ibetatest. As for any actual testing I've done through ibetatest, I've actually been in contact with the developers outside of the site, and they basically just directed me to the site in order for me to get the betas without them having to send the betas to me. In other words, I don't think the developers are really even using the site the way it was intended to be used (incidentally, both of the test groups I've been involved with there were as a result of TA :) )

Shocked
05-31-2009, 01:29 AM
Mmmm, i think it's simpler for devs to just make their own forum, or make a group here..

PSMOkizzle
05-31-2009, 02:03 AM
Im on ibetatest, and i also am betatesting for iSR, GeoRain, and iCombat 1.2, if you still have spots open

Anders
05-31-2009, 04:31 AM
If you end up using it please please let us know how it works on the devs side. I'd love to know how it works

Cheers!

Sure! IF we decide to use it, we will probably do a test run ourselves to see how it works.

Anders
05-31-2009, 04:37 AM
My personal experience with ibetatest.com is that it's a great place for getting the latest betas on a project, but not so good for interaction between beta testers. The mechanism for leaving reports, suggestions, etc. is like a hybrid between a forum and a social group, and it just doesn't seem all that friendly to me. Plus, I don't think there's a way that you can be notified if someone has replied to anything you post on a thread at ibetatest. As for any actual testing I've done through ibetatest, I've actually been in contact with the developers outside of the site, and they basically just directed me to the site in order for me to get the betas without them having to send the betas to me. In other words, I don't think the developers are really even using the site the way it was intended to be used (incidentally, both of the test groups I've been involved with there were as a result of TA :) )

That doesn't sound too good. I was hoping that the bug reporting tools were easy to use, and so that we would just get one report of a certain bug if the testers could see that it was already reported, and not 25 about the same one. And if you have 100 beta testers.. you get the picture.

Anders
05-31-2009, 04:37 AM
Im on ibetatest, and i also am betatesting for iSR, GeoRain, and iCombat 1.2, if you still have spots open

We will probably begin beta testing in late July or something like that. I'll start a thread about it, or post here.

Zincous
05-31-2009, 04:51 AM
We will probably begin beta testing in late July or something like that. I'll start a thread about it, or post here.

K I'll definitely be watching for that ;) Hope I'm on at the right time :rolleyes: they go so quickly.

Haephestos
05-31-2009, 05:37 AM
I'm on there, but I haven't done much testing through it!

Anders
05-31-2009, 07:00 AM
K I'll definitely be watching for that ;) Hope I'm on at the right time :rolleyes: they go so quickly.

I'll be hand picking the beta testers, so it's not first come first serve ;)

wmcwmc
05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I applied for that website but I never got accepted or declined. Its been 2 weeks now...

inferi22
05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
well i have an acount there but have never been chosen (on that site)though, though i have been chosen as a beta tester here for the following:ZENONIA-,-UNDERWORLDS-,-LEGION OF AMON-(not yet released but you can check upcoming games forums for some concept art),-THOR-(not out yet either,-CARDIO-(also not out),-SCI-FLY 2-(of course a much better seguel to the one currently on the app store),-CRAZY SNOW BOARD-, and finally -GALACTIC GUNNER-(upcoming EZONE game)
i loved sway and really hope im chosen-btw my account is just inferi there

Stykman
05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I applied for that website but I never got accepted or declined. Its been 2 weeks now...

the site is very boring

wmcwmc
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
the site is very boring
agreed

brewstermax
05-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Sure! ;)

I signed up for iBetaTest, but have found it useless. I have a expansive reputation with testing games, and most devs on this site know about that, so I'm not going to go up to iBetaTest and apply to test. If they want me to test, they'll come to me, unless it's a game I really want to succeed. I'm happy to test whatever Illusion Labs has next though. Sway is THE ONLY game on iPhone that I can play for more than an hour at a time. It's amazing.

Anders
05-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I signed up for iBetaTest, but have found it useless. I have a expansive reputation with testing games, and most devs on this site know about that, so I'm not going to go up to iBetaTest and apply to test. If they want me to test, they'll come to me, unless it's a game I really want to succeed. I'm happy to test whatever Illusion Labs has next though. Sway is THE ONLY game on iPhone that I can play for more than an hour at a time. It's amazing.

glad to hear you like it!

and thanks everyone for posting your thoughts about ibetatest.com, seems like most of you don't care for the site.

inferi22
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
glad to hear you like it!

and thanks everyone for posting your thoughts about ibetatest.com, seems like most of you don't care for the site.

ya its actually better just to create an invite only social group here with more experienced testers

PointOfLight
05-31-2009, 03:11 PM
ya its actually better just to create an invite only social group here with more experienced testers

I don't agree with this either. The social groups here are a worthless mess. You get 15 pages of posts that usually contain only 3 pages of useful and relevant data. Plus, there's no way to organize thoughts or threads in a social group. I think the best bet for communication among beta testers is to have a forum somewhere. All the most productive beta groups I've worked with have had one, whether it's a forum on the developer's own web site or a sub forum on some other site (PDArcade and PDAGround used to be good places for this until they both went belly up). From that perspective ibetatest is actually a better choice than a social group, but it just doesn't feel as beneficial as a true forum.

inferi22
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree but maybe you(anders) could create a private forum on the illusions lab website

VeganTnT
05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't agree with this either. The social groups here are a worthless mess. You get 15 pages of posts that usually contain only 3 pages of useful and relevant data. Plus, there's no way to organize thoughts or threads in a social group. I think the best bet for communication among beta testers is to have a forum somewhere. All the most productive beta groups I've worked with have had one, whether it's a forum on the developer's own web site or a sub forum on some other site (PDArcade and PDAGround used to be good places for this until they both went belly up). From that perspective ibetatest is actually a better choice than a social group, but it just doesn't feel as beneficial as a true forum.

I agree about the social groups here. The handful of inexperienced testers end up flooding the channel with nonsense.

I prefer email. It's tied with my iphone so I know I have an unread message quickly and can respond in turn. Also it gives a dev a more one on one handling of a situation. The dev can also get a better handle on who isn't contributing.

inferi22
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I agree about the social groups here. The handful of inexperienced testers end up flooding the channel with nonsense.

I prefer email. It's tied with my iphone so I know I have an unread message quickly and can respond in turn. Also it gives a dev a more one on one handling of a situation. The dev can also get a better handle on who isn't contributing.

i agree + maybe my forum idea to put all the testers together on the side

redsoxsrule424
05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah I agree with inferi. But on a side note im on ibetatest as well and I also reccomend that you use testers from that site as many of them have tested at least more than one app and thus have experience.

Sainter
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
iBetaTest is a great idea and while I haven't had the time for it, its certainly a great concept.

If you have 100 UDID builds I might suggest splitting it up between different sources. One option I might suggest is 50 to iBetaTest, 25 to TA and maybe 25 to the media. This will give you bug fixes from the 75 plus the TA folk will talk about the game, like they did for Zenonia. The media will also give you previews on the game

looman9635
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
its great im a tester (and my id is looman9635 and have tested 2 apps) its a good idea to have a lot of spots because sometimes people will just go for it to get a free app. i have helped alot and the devs are helpful as are the forums.the other way to do it is like objective 3 they have done a facebook group for the testers to talk about fixes and whatnot

Vester
06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
any more spots open?

Anders
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
any more spots open?

We haven't started yet. July or August.

Vester
06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
We haven't started yet. July or August.
ah lololol ok i guess i should make an account then :D
Also i love illusion labs games, they r worth every cent

Anders
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
ah lololol ok i guess i should make an account then :D
Also i love illusion labs games, they r worth every cent

We haven't decided yet if we are going to use ibetatest.com, so no need to register just yet.

Glad to hear you like 'em! ;)

sumiguchi
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I used ibetatest.com for Anomaly. I thought the site worked very well - the bug reporting was good. For incentives I offered to put their name in the credits. (But in the end sent promo codes to the US folks that did good testing!)

The biggest problem that I see with the site is that you create a beta and then people apply to fill the spots. Spots fill up fast - but it doesn't mean that you will get quality testers... so you actually have to reject them, and then wait for it to fill again (which is litterally only hours).

I would suggest that at least 80% of your testers should have 4 or 5 star ratings to insure good feedback (Or have a good reputation from sites like TA!)

It also helps to be very clear in your expectations (timeframe, effort etc).
For example:
Beta test will be from June 1st to June 20th. Each tester should spend no less that 20 hours (1 hour per day) playing the game. Bug reports & feedback should be submitted by no later than June 22nd.

And before adding any of their devices to your provisioning profile - I'd recommend that you email them and re-iterate expectations to get their confirmation!

Overall the site is a fantastic resource for developers that don't have their own bug tracking software! I highly recommend it.

Anders
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I used ibetatest.com for Anomaly. I thought the site worked very well - the bug reporting was good. For incentives I offered to put their name in the credits. (But in the end sent promo codes to the US folks that did good testing!)

The biggest problem that I see with the site is that you create a beta and then people apply to fill the spots. Spots fill up fast - but it doesn't mean that you will get quality testers... so you actually have to reject them, and then wait for it to fill again (which is litterally only hours).

I would suggest that at least 80% of your testers should have 4 or 5 star ratings to insure good feedback (Or have a good reputation from sites like TA!)

For example:
Beta test will be from June 1st to June 20th. Each tester should spend no less that 20 hours (1 hour per day) playing the game. Bug reports & feedback should be submitted by no later than June 22nd.

And before adding any of their devices to your provisioning profile - I'd recommend that you email them and re-iterate expectations to get their confirmation!

Overall the site is a fantastic resource for developers that don't have their own bug tracking software! I highly recommend it.

Thank you very much for sharing, much appreciated! Would you use the site again?

Vester
06-02-2009, 02:24 PM

For example:

wow, sounds very orderly!

aboll2009
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
As both a dev and a tester on ibetatest, it is a good way to go. It is way better to have a 25-50 person slots of rated, experienced testers then to take 75 random people. And don't post an incentive even if you will give your testers one, because then most people will apply solely for that.

Tester wise, only take people with at least 4 star ratings and a bio because that shows that they care, and will take time to type reports if they aso take the time to type a bio.

Hope this helps!!!

P.S. aboll09 on the site, look me up haha

sumiguchi
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you very much for sharing, much appreciated! Would you use the site again?
Yes I plan to use it again.

wow, sounds very orderly!
Well - the site doesn't really enforce it to be orderly... it just gives you big text boxes to put in your content.

Setting clear expectations and timeframes is just my recommendation - I like to follow a pretty structured software development cycle and not all testers are necessarily up for that. (Since you can only provision 100 devices - its best to not waste them on people that can't commit to doing what you need to get done!)

All that said - I'm not paying them to test so I can't set my expectations too high!

Nice sig Vester!! ;)

PixelthisMike
06-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Of those devs who have used ibetatest do any of you give the new testers a chance? It seems like by refusing to use anyone who's unrated we might be missing out on testers who are really good but just new to the site. Maybe have an 80/20 ratio of rated to unrated or something like that and only choose unrated people who have gone to the trouble of putting up a bio as aboll09 suggests.

PixelthisMike
06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice sig Vester!! ;)

Haha nice :)

aboll2009
06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, one other thing. You can usually weed out the ones that won't work to hard at it by asking them some info, such as how many days of the week they can work, how many hours of a week, apps they've beta tested, etc.

aboll2009
06-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Of those devs who have used ibetatest do any of you give the new testers a chance? It seems like by refusing to use anyone who's unrated we might be missing out on testers who are really good but just new to the site. Maybe have an 80/20 ratio of rated to unrated or something like that and only choose unrated people who have gone to the trouble of putting up a bio as aboll09 suggests.

Usually the good ones wont apply, which is kinda annoying. If they don't have a rating look at two things:
1. Bio- They might put previous experiences here
2. Reason why they want to test or lack of- People who don't put a reason are usually a instant no-no. Look for reasons like "your app looks like a quality one and I would like to help you out" over "This looks really fun and I want to like test it and stuff."

Sorry for the double post

GatorDeb
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Why not just ask for Beta Testers here? :D You are one of the more popular devs. I'd apply ;)

aboll2009
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Why not just ask for Beta Testers here? :D You are one of the more popular devs. I'd apply ;)

I second that!!!

PixelthisMike
06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
We would certainly source a lot of our beta testers from TA as it is obvious that they really get behind the devs and it is awesome to have that support, and hopefully we can provide the same level of support in return!

In fact most of our Rune Mage beta testers were from TA and even though we were only trying to collect gameplay metrics they also provided heaps of excellent advice about the game itself which has been used to shape gameplay as we've been developing.

PointOfLight
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
As both a dev and a tester on ibetatest, it is a good way to go. It is way better to have a 25-50 person slots of rated, experienced testers then to take 75 random people. And don't post an incentive even if you will give your testers one, because then most people will apply solely for that.

Tester wise, only take people with at least 4 star ratings and a bio because that shows that they care, and will take time to type reports if they aso take the time to type a bio.

Hope this helps!!!

P.S. aboll09 on the site, look me up haha

??? I've filed reports or comments on both the betas that I'm involved with, and I haven't filled out my bio. I don't get the correlation there.

Ratings are not fool proof either. A developer could have a personal beef with someone and consequently rate them low. This is not a "bitterness" remark, by the way, because I haven't had it happen to me (yet). I'm just saying it's possible. Can a registered developer look at comments that people have put on other betas?

PixelthisMike
06-02-2009, 09:37 PM
??? I've filed reports or comments on both the betas that I'm involved with, and I haven't filled out my bio. I don't get the correlation there.

As a dev the bio thing does make sense, it shows they've gone to the effort to promote themselves and it also gives an insight into how eloquently they can get a point across which is pretty important when beta testing! A lot of people who are just after a free game won't be bothered going to the effort.

Ratings are not fool proof either. A developer could have a personal beef with someone and consequently rate them low. This is not a "bitterness" remark, by the way, because I haven't had it happen to me (yet). I'm just saying it's possible. Can a registered developer look at comments that people have put on other betas?

Developers are wonderful people who never have a beef with anyone ;)

Seriously though, it would be useful to see exactly why a tester has been given a poor rating. I doubt whether devs would have access to comments on others devs betas.

iphoneprogrammer
06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I used ibetatest before and from a devs point of view it wasnt the smartest move. Most beta testers on that site just signed up for the hell of it. No one i used helped me at all and none of them knew what i needed them to look for. I would stick with using TA to look for beta testers and only chose those who are members or senior members. If that doesnt work then i would contact other devs and find out who they used as their testers. Ibetatest should screen anyone who signs up for their site inorder to ensure that a devs app is tested properly. Hope this helps

aboll2009
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM

For what good reason would a developer have a beef with a tester? If they didn't do well or didn't help at all they have the right to rate them low. What developer would actually have a beef with a tester, unless the tester wasted a spot by not testing and saying the game sucked. Now you ???????? me!

PixelthisMike
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
For what good reason would a developer have a beef with a tester? If they didn't do well or didn't help at all they have the right to rate them low. What developer would actually have a beef with a tester, unless the tester wasted a spot by not testing and saying the game sucked. Now you ???????? me!

Uh oh I feel a war of question marks brewing... :p

PointOfLight
06-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Okay, clearly you've got some issues, but don't make this a personal attack. The question marks were in regards to saying that a developer shouldn't pick someone that didn't fill out their bio. As for the part about developers having a beef with someone, I have known developers to get bent out of shape just because they didn't like constructive criticism. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I completely agree that a beta tester should be rated low if they didn't help or do well, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I do appreciate the maturity of your reply, however. I'm pretty sure "Now you ????? me!" is what, like 5th grade reasoning...

PixelthisMike
06-03-2009, 12:46 AM
He's just pulling your chain, don't worry about it :) It is definately true that some devs get bent out of shape when receiving constructive criticism but I think that most understand the value of an outsiders opinion and receive it graciously so long as it is given in a friendly manner. I would like to think that instances of devs responding to feedback with negative ratings would be very very low. Especially since the feedback is normally in a private environment.

Anders
06-03-2009, 03:29 AM

I second that!!!

We will recruit beta testers here when the beta period is getting closer, and thanks ;)

Anders
06-03-2009, 03:35 AM
And thanks for all your comments about ibetatest.com and beta testing in general, much obliged (I just realized I've watched The Wire too much).

The more I read the comments in this thread, the more confident I get that we'll stick to hand pick beta testers from here, which is nice, since we do love TA and the people here.

PointOfLight
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
And thanks for all your comments about ibetatest.com and beta testing in general, much obliged (I just realized I've watched The Wire too much).

The more I read the comments in this thread, the more confident I get that we'll stick to hand pick beta testers from here, which is nice, since we do love TA and the people here.

I wouldn't totally rule out ibetatest.com, because as the site matures I think it will become a valuable resource. I think you will be making the right decision to hand pick for your next project yet, however. Good luck, and hopefully you'll get what you're looking for testing wise.

Kuratsu
06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

I've been on iBetaTest since it opened and participated in a few beta tests. I have not once received a beta tester rating despite providing constructive criticism and coming up with ideas for the developer to improve their app.
Note: I never created a bio.
Also, I noticed a lot of "testers" were testing to merely get a "free app".

Until (if and when?) the developer of iBetaTest hammers out all the problems there, you're better off handpicking testers here at TA. The people here are more likely to be helpful, and truthful.

sumiguchi
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Well in any spot you will have to be careful about who is doing testing. People everywhere want to test just to get a freebie before other people.

The advantage of using ibetatest over TA is that there is a bug tracking tool (of sorts). Tracking bugs through pm's or email would be a bit of a nightmare IMHO ;)

That said - its a free site so if you feel better to recruit on TA, then you can use ibetatest for a closed beta group ;)

PointOfLight
06-03-2009, 12:36 PM
This is off topic in regards to getting testers, but it sort of goes along with the discussion. Once you've "assigned a slot" to someone by including their UDID in a provisional file, is there no way to take that slot back? Are the UDIDs associated with a particular application somehow registered with Apple? if this is something that can't be discussed here then no problem, but I've always been curious about that.

Kuratsu
06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Well in any spot you will have to be careful about who is doing testing. People everywhere want to test just to get a freebie before other people.

The advantage of using ibetatest over TA is that there is a bug tracking tool (of sorts). Tracking bugs through pm's or email would be a bit of a nightmare IMHO ;)

That said - its a free site so if you feel better to recruit on TA, then you can use ibetatest for a closed beta group ;)

Most of the beta tests I have participated in have proved successful with the availability of a private forums in which testers can post bugs/glitches and ideas/suggest game features. Also, if you require participation on the forum, you can see who is active, and who isn't.

sumiguchi
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Most of the beta tests I have participated in have proved successful with the availability of a private forums in which testers can post bugs/glitches and ideas/suggest game features. Also, if you require participation on the forum, you can see who is active, and who isn't.

Sure - that would be great... but only if you have a private forum at your disposal ;)

inferi22
06-03-2009, 03:26 PM
add forums to illusions lab website maybe

Anders
06-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Sure - that would be great... but only if you have a private forum at your disposal ;)

It's pretty easy to setup a basic forum, doesn't take that long. There a bunch of free ones (the one TA uses is a commercial one).

add forums to illusions lab website maybe

Yup, it's possible.

Anders
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
This is off topic in regards to getting testers, but it sort of goes along with the discussion. Once you've "assigned a slot" to someone by including their UDID in a provisional file, is there no way to take that slot back? Are the UDIDs associated with a particular application somehow registered with Apple? if this is something that can't be discussed here then no problem, but I've always been curious about that.

The UDID is unique to your device. It is stored on Apple's dev site where the provisioning files are generated using a web interface. We devs have control over that stuff and can delete and add UDID's as we like. You can use 100 UDID's per provisioning file and app.

PointOfLight
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
The UDID is unique to your device. It is stored on Apple's dev site where the provisioning files are generated using a web interface. We devs have control over that stuff and can delete and add UDID's as we like. You can use 100 UDID's per provisioning file and app.

Thanks for the details. So while it would be annoying and a waste of time on the developer's part, it is possible to get rid of deadbeat "testers" simply by creating a new provisioning file, right?

Anders
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the details. So while it would be annoying and a waste of time on the developer's part, it is possible to get rid of deadbeat "testers" simply by creating a new provisioning file, right?

Yeah you just remove the undesired UDID (one click), and then click another button to create a new provisioning file. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

brewstermax
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Anders, I'd be just thrilled to test whatever you have next. I hope you'll pick me to help test. Testing resume given upon request. ;) :)

flyingblind41
06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I am new to the idea of beta testing, and I would be interested in getting started in it. I am really interested in helping devs make the app store better for us all by putting out quality games.

However, I do not know how to get started with beta testing? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I searched the forums and could not find a thread on it. Thanks!

Bobby

PointOfLight
06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I am new to the idea of beta testing, and I would be interested in getting started in it. I am really interested in helping devs make the app store better for us all by putting out quality games.

However, I do not know how to get started with beta testing? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I searched the forums and could not find a thread on it. Thanks!

Bobby

Hopefully you've read through this thread, so you can see that one way is to join ibetatest.com. Also, just keep a close eye out for threads where developers are requesting beta testers, and reply as soon as you can. Another way is to watch the "upcoming games" forum, and when you see a game you're interested in that has a web site associated with it, go to that web site and see if there's a contact that you can write to and request to be a beta tester. Finally, start posting to threads of already released games with thoughtful insights that will make developers interested in what you have to say. A good way to accomplish this one would be to TOFTT games, which means get a copy of a newly released game and post comments about it to a thread so that others can make an informed decision as to whether they should buy it or not.

What you SHOULDN'T do is to directly PM a developer asking to beta test, unless they specifically asked for it. While most developers don't necessarily seem to have a problem with this, it's highly discouraged by the moderators (and could get you banned if a developer complains about you).

Jeoud
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Can you share your experience if you used their service?

Otherwise there are 2 alternate services:
- thebetafamily.com
- http://www.reviewfordev.com (http://www.reviewfordev.com): each step if manually controlled to ensure quality reviews and you can get text or video reviews (i created this website so I'm biaised :) )

Freespirit
11-01-2012, 03:37 AM
I used ibetatest 2 weeks ago, it wasn't a good experience. People just downloaded my app and never did anything. I flagged them as non testers to help others but the guy on support said they just unflag them when asked. Great for pirates! Wasted my time and money. Reviewfordev went very smooth and i had some great feedback. I'm going to try using people on TA next.