PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch 2nd gen compatible games?

trev2hi
09-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

My son is turning 7 this weekend and I picked up a (super) cheap used iPod Touch 2nd gen device for him, and I am looking for recommendations from people who have games working on this device. I know that it is limited by the old ARM6 cpu and the fact that it can only run IOS 4.2.1, but I know there are plenty of games that run on this thing. I was super bummed to find that Minecraft won't run on it (he is obsessed with minecraft,) and I just picked up the game "Crafted" which looks to be a 2d version that I'm sure he will scoff at. Anyway, just wanted to know if there are any cool games that I can pick up for him that will work.

Ones that I have either already bought or am considering that are compatible: Crafted, Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, 1-bit Ninja, Tehra Dark Warrior, Fruit Ninja, Need for Speed Undercover.

Thanks for any input.

awp69
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Probably want to move this to the General Discussion forum, but there's hundreds of good games that still will run on the 2nd Gen (older games, but still good games).

Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Plants vs. Zombies and Asphalt 6 (I'd take this over Need for Speed) are a good place to start for a 7-year-old.

I'd have to go back to my 1,000+ apps to see which ones are compatible. I'll try to come back and post some more good ones.

ninjackid
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Get Eden. If he loves Minecraft, he would love Eden and it ran fine when I had a 2nd gen.

Here's a few others:

Call Of Duty World at War: Zombies
Zombie Highway

Platformers:

Meganoid
Stardash
INC
Mos Speedrun
Stardash
ChocoRun
BlooKid
League Of Evil
League Of Evil 2
Commander Pixman
CheeseMan
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Pizza Boy
Giana Sisters

Casual/Endless:

Run!
Solipskier
Monster Dash
Jetpack Joyride
Tilt to Live
Super Crate Box
ForgetMeNot
The Blocks Cometh
Temple Run

Hope that helps a bit! :)

trev2hi
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks to both of you, this looks like a great starting list. I will definitely check out this Eden, if it's like Minecraft he should definitely dig it. Thanks again.

awp69
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Good list ninjakid. Keep in mind that a few of those platformers (like League of Evil) are on the difficult side.

Some others he may like:

Pac Man Championship Edition
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
All of the Sonic games up until the last one (Sonic 4 Episode 2) work on the 2nd Gen
Super Crossfire
Reckless Getaway
Infinity Field
Where's My Water
Little Acorns
Beat Hazard Ultra (if he also is gonna have some music on his device)
Expand It
Zombie Tsunami
Monsters Ate My Condo
Hyperlight
Silverfish

....I could go on...but these are some of the more casual games I have on my 2nd Gen.

ninjackid
09-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks to both of you, this looks like a great starting list. I will definitely check out this Eden, if it's like Minecraft he should definitely dig it. Thanks again.

Sure, the game's full name is "Eden - World Builder" and it's by Kingly Software, Inc. ;)

Greyskull
09-11-2012, 03:02 PM
First off, you need to know what hardware you have in it, since there is a difference in either the amount of memory or the gpu between the 2 versions.

You can tell which by the amount of storage space you have. I know that 32 and 64 gig versions have the better specs, 8 gig ones don't, and I'm not sure about the 16 gig versions.

I've heard them unoffically called the iPod touch 2 and iPod touch 2 1/2.

I have the one w/the better specs.

That being said; I know the following quality games which haven't been mentioned work:

Space Miner
Depict!
the three (currently) free original ooo Gameprom pinball games
Ascension (probably not best for a 7 year old)
Multiplonk

Human X
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
A few that haven't been mentioned.

Casual
Enviro-Bear 2010-a bear driving simulator.
Rune Raiders-a very cool RPG.
Anodia-a colourful brick breaker.
+1 to Tilt to live.

Adventure
Swordigo-a massive 2.5D RPG, one of the best.
Perfect Cell-you control an organism escaping a lab, a bit bloody.
Yipe5-a little, basic RPG.

Puzzle
Dummy Defense-build structures to protect a crash test dummy.
Jelly Car-navigate a car through a bunch of 2D levels, I spent hours on this.
Cogs-solve puzzles by sliding cogs in the right place.

Fighter
Fly-Fu-a very cool insect-themed fighter
Puncho Fighto-a bit more complicated, requires swipe gestures
The Simpsons Arcade-like Fly-Fu, with levels and a Simpsons theme.

If you could tell me what age restrictions you would impose on the iPod, what model it is (how many GB) and what type of games he likes, I could add some more apps.

Royce
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
First off, you need to know what hardware you have in it, since there is a difference in either the amount of memory or the gpu between the 2 versions.

You can tell which by the amount of storage space you have. I know that 32 and 64 gig versions have the better specs, 8 gig ones don't, and I'm not sure about the 16 gig versions.

I've heard them unoffically called the iPod touch 2 and iPod touch 2 1/2.

I have the one w/the better specs.

They didn't introduce 64 gig models until the 3rd gen. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 3rd gen in general? I've never heard of any of this regarding the 2nd gen Touch and that was my first iOS device. The 3rd gen differs by storage (8 gig is actually just a 2nd gen).

awp69
09-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Swordigo-a massive 2.5D RPG, one of the best.

Good suggestion, but I don't think it works on a 2G, does it?

awp69
09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
They didn't introduce 64 gig models until the 3rd gen. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 3rd gen in general? I've never heard of any of this regarding the 2nd gen Touch and that was my first iOS device. The 3rd gen differs by storage (8 gig is actually just a 2nd gen).

I think you're right. The 2nd Gens all had the same specs as far as I know. It was the 3rd Gens where only the 32 and 64 GB models were equipped with the better hardware. As you mention, the 3rd Gen 8 GB was essentially the same as a 2nd Gen.

Greyskull
09-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Now I'm not sure. :). I STILL. Think that there is a difference, at least with the 32 gig iPod touch 2.

Let me add some more games, since I've got my old, cracked, coffee stained touch in front of me now:

The Piyo Blocks series (great little block swapping puzzles)
Birzzle (same sort, great in its own right)
Hyperlight (tilt based shooter with vector based graphics, so no prob w/ a child playing it)
Fly Kiwi Fly!
Rocket Bird
Supercow
All Pangea games apparently
Minigore (cartoony, probably fine for a 7 year old...then again I saw Aliens in the movie theater at about that age)
FMX Riders (bloodless, great 3d motorbike racer)
Robot wants Kitty (age appropriate platformer)
The Sims games
Flick Homerun

If you think he might like a tower defense game, The Scamps! is adorable (and still one of my favorites).

nfong
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
If your son likes racing games, I'd definitely recommend Sonic All Stars Racing. It's really kid friendly (I personally found the AI easier to beat than the AIs in other racing games), and ran great on my 2nd gen.

edit: Swordigo runs fine on a 2nd gen - great action platformer, and imo isn't too violent for a 7 year old

S.I.D. CrAzY
09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
There is no difference in second gen iPod Touches. The difference came with 3rd gen iPod Touches.

Where the 8gb "3rd" gen iPod Touch was really just a second gen iPod Touch. Unlike the 32 and 64 gb versions which were true 3rd gen iPod Touches.

Teh_Ninja
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
since I've got my old, cracked, coffee stained touch in front of me now

Good God man, wth did you do with your 2nd gen?!?

Also on a side note: the specs are all the same for the 2nd generation iPod touch. They didn't even introduce a 64gb model until the 3rd generation; which is where the specs differed. The 8gb 3rd gen has the same specs as the 2nd generation iPod touch. End. Of. Rant.

Back to the topic.

Human X
09-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Good suggestion, but I don't think it works on a 2G, does it? It works fine, just a bit laggy.

Greyskull
09-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Good God man, wth did you do with your 2nd gen?!?

Also on a side note: the specs are all the same for the 2nd generation iPod touch. They didn't even introduce a 64gb model until the 3rd generation; which is where the specs differed. The 8gb 3rd gen has the same specs as the 2nd generation iPod touch. End. Of. Rant.

Back to the topic.

Dropped it on concrete.
Dropped it on tile.
spilled my coffee on it.
It wasn't detecting the USB cable, so I sqooshed it (it was already dented)
Power button got a bit sunken in, so I sqooshed it some more.
The screen has smashed glass next to the volume buttons, and has cracks emanating from that point. This caused trouble with the volume buttons. So I sqooshed it more.
I've sat on it.
I've dropped it in the toilet.

It still works great :)
I really should upload photos of it. Oh, and no, its never had a screen protector or been in any case.

Connector
09-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Dropped it on concrete.
Dropped it on tile.
spilled my coffee on it.
It wasn't detecting the USB cable, so I sqooshed it (it was already dented)
Power button got a bit sunken in, so I sqooshed it some more.
The screen has smashed glass next to the volume buttons, and has cracks emanating from that point. This caused trouble with the volume buttons. So I sqooshed it more.
I've sat on it.
I've dropped it in the toilet.

It still works great :)
I really should upload photos of it. Oh, and no, its never had a screen protector or been in any case.

Wow... Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking...

Do you buy Apple care plus nowadays? Sounds like you need it.

Greyskull
09-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Wow... Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking...

Do you buy Apple care plus nowadays? Sounds like you need it.

Otterbox ;)

November's Chopin
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Pretty much none of the new games support 2G devices at this point, they set the minimum iOS requirement to 4.3 on purpose, because Apple wants people to buy newer devices obviously.

Human X
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Pretty much none of the new games support 2G devices at this point, they set the minimum iOS requirement to 4.3 on purpose, because Apple wants people to buy newer devices obviously.Very true. In the case of most games, iOS 4.2 is fine, they just require the 3GS or above. Just look at the featured page right now. Wild Blood, Avengers Initiative, Drakerider, Huebrix and FFD. All the games people want. Well played, Apple, well played.

c0replay
09-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Well since your son is into minecraft, I'd recommend trying out Junk Jack. It can run on 2nd Generation devices

EpicAtheist
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Anyone here know newer games that work for the 2G? And thanks for the guy that said Sonic 4 Ep. 2 works on 2G devices, will definitely get it later.

Here are more games that work on the Touch 2G:

Action:
Bowmaster
Plants War (Dota/LoL/HoN like game)
Pocket Army
Solomon's Keep (dungeon crawler)
Solomons's Boneyard (Endless version of SK)
Real Racing 1/ Real Racing 2

Arcade
Blocks Cometh
Phoenix
Robot Unicorn Attack
Madcoaster
Tiny Wings

Casual
The Tribez (just downloaded it and although it works, it crashes a lot in my 2G)
Junk Jack
Voice Fantasy
Tiny Tower (the older versions worked, now it requires 4.3)
Plague Inc. (needs to be jaibroken and version changed to 4.3)

nfong
09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
^ Sonic 4 Episode 2 doesn't work on 2nd gens, according to iTunes reviews.

jerzeeshadow
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I would definately recommend Junk Jack. It blows Minecraft out of the water! Check out the game's forum for the possibilites this game holds:

http://forum.pixbits.com/

Also games like

Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Zombieville 1 & 2
2079 Tilt! (a robotron-type dual-stick shooter)
Monster Flip (very cool puzzler)
8bit Ninja
1-bit Ninja
Fingerzilla
PewPew (dual-stick shooter)
Tetris
Frogger
Minigore
Duckers
DoodleJump
Mikey Shorts

Issac
09-27-2012, 02:05 AM
It would be great if there was a tool in the search thing-y on iTunes that would allow you to search by device, os, etc..

Issac
09-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Very true. In the case of most games, iOS 4.2 is fine, they just require the 3GS or above. Just look at the featured page right now. Wild Blood, Avengers Initiative, Drakerider, Huebrix and FFD. All the games people want. Well played, Apple, well played.

True. I have an iPod Touch 3rd gen that is running 5.1.1, and I can't play Lili or Street Fighter x Tekken. Pbtpbtpbt to that. :(

Firetruck94
09-27-2012, 01:49 PM
What about worms?

astralWolf
09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Here are some others that works on 2G devices that he may like:

* Zenforms
* Thumpies
* Plants War
* Hand of Greed
* Hammer Heroes
* Zombie Tsunami
* Dark Nebula Episodes 1 and 2
* Jet Car Stunts
* Archer Cat
* Bounce On
* Jetpack Joyride
* 3D Rollercoaster Rush: Jurassic

OneMinuteGames
09-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Guys, there is bad news, new Apps, and those updated probably will not work on 2nd generation devices due to lack of support for older devices in the newest iOS Apple Tools.

Developers now has to choose: support iPhone 5, or iPhone 1/3G and iPod touches 1st and 2nd generation. So keep and backup your ipa's because most probably next updates for your games could not work on your device.

awp69
09-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Guys, there is bad news, new Apps, and those updated probably will not work on 2nd generation devices due to lack of support for older devices in the newest iOS Apple Tools.

Developers now has to choose: support iPhone 5, or iPhone 1/3G and iPod touches 1st and 2nd generation. So keep and backup your ipa's because most probably next updates for your games could not work on your device.

Well damn, I use my 2nd Gen for games that I can still play on it so that I don't have to use that space on my 3GS.

When you say iPhone 3G, are you actually referring to the 3GS? If so, I hope that's not the case. It would actually be pretty strange if the new tools didn't support the 3GS. Apple themselves allowed iOS 6 to support the 3GS.

OneMinuteGames
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
iPhone 3G is iPhone 3G ;) A generation older than 3GS. 3GS is still supported.

awp69
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
iPhone 3G is iPhone 3G ;) A generation older than 3GS. 3GS is still supported.

Guess it seems so are for me to even hear of someone having an actual 3G, I forget that it existed :) !

05-14-2013, 02:11 AM
what about asphalt 7

psj3809
05-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Ha ha seriously? Not a chance. Anyway it's free so why not simply try?

Pocketnova
05-14-2013, 03:28 AM
I still have my iPod touch 1 that works perfectly. Not a scratch on it. (Ok, not completely true, but still in great shape IMO) and I am working on getting my sister's iPod touch 2, even though it has huge cracks in the screen as well as the power button not working. :-/

one.sixty.four
05-14-2013, 08:06 AM
I still have my iPod touch 1 that works perfectly. Not a scratch on it. (Ok, not completely true, but still in great shape IMO) and I am working on getting my sister's iPod touch 2, even though it has huge cracks in the screen as well as the power button not working. :-/

You can get a iPod touch 4 for like 179$. I wouldn't try so hard to get a busted 2G.

Pocketnova
05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
You can get a iPod touch 4 for like 179$. I wouldn't try so hard to get a busted 2G.

It's more of a collectors item for me then a device I'll actually use, but thank you for letting me know about that! I am trying to get all the iPod touch models :p I had the fourth gen for a long time, but recently sold it to get the 5.

one.sixty.four
05-14-2013, 12:34 PM
It's more of a collectors item for me then a device I'll actually use, but thank you for letting me know about that! I am trying to get all the iPod touch models :p I had the fourth gen for a long time, but recently sold it to get the 5.

oh, okay. that makes sense.

MidianGTX
05-14-2013, 02:21 PM

You can have mine for $100. Better condition than your sister's.

Frustrated-iMum
05-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Can anyone advise? My son has just been bought a reconditioned ipod touch 2nd generation (4.2.1, 8GB), and is really fed up, trying to search for any free games which are available to him now. I just want to throw it out of the window, so I'm trying not to be Luddite and thought I'd ask the experts (you out there). Can anyone help? He'll be so happy to have 4 or 5 games to get him going. All the games he knows about are for much more recent games and he's now feeling the 70+ present is worthless...

Fleabag323
05-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Can anyone advise? My son has just been bought a reconditioned ipod touch 2nd generation (4.2.1, 8GB), and is really fed up, trying to search for any free games which are available to him now. I just want to throw it out of the window, so I'm trying not to be Luddite and thought I'd ask the experts (you out there). Can anyone help? He'll be so happy to have 4 or 5 games to get him going. All the games he knows about are for much more recent games and he's now feeling the 70+ present is worthless...

2nd gen is a bit tough because developers that want to support the iPhone 5's whole screen (pretty much every release since September plus apps from before then that have been updated) can only target iOS 4.3, which isn't available for it.

Because of that, you want to look for games that came out a while ago but haven't been updated recently. Try looking at TouchArcade's top games until about 2011. Most of the games will be paid though (2nd gen was before the freemium trend). Just make sure that the app is compatible with 4.2.1 before you buy or try to download them. Part of the problem is that a lot of the best games are also the most successful ones, meaning they will have been updated for iPhone 5.

Of the games you'll find on these lists that will work, I recommend Space Miner, Hook Champ/Super Quickhook, and Rolando/Rolando 2. Not sure if it's on the list, but I Dig It Expeditions is also good. Obviously what games would fit depends on your son's age though. Of all of those, Rolando 1 and 2 are pretty suited for every age.

http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/25/best-of-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-a-2008-holiday-guide/
http://toucharcade.com/2009/12/25/best-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-2009-buyers-guide/
http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/24/best-ipod-touch-and-iphone-games-2010-buyers-guide/
http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/23/best-ios-games-2011-buyers-guide/

Solverguy
08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I wrote an iOS app called VintApps 3.1.3 that will really help with this.
Information on nearly 35,000 apps which require iOS 3.1.3 or earlier. Of those, there are nearly 9,000 game apps. It works on all iOS device iOS 3 or later and is only 99 cents.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vintapps-3.1.3/id639274910?mt=8&uo=4

I also wrote an an app called VintApps 4.2.1 which includes over 35,000 more apps requiring iOS 4.2.1 or earlier but Apple 's one man review and appeal board is rejecting new app store finder apps so unfortunately it will unlikely ever be available to help Apple customers.

ip4weather
09-09-2013, 04:44 PM
your application is not on appstore,can anyone suggest good horror game for ipod touch 2G 4.2.1?

Royce
09-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Apple 's one man review and appeal board is rejecting new app store finder apps

Wait seriously? You mean in general or because it to closely resembles an alternate "store" which was their previous rejection stance. I hope this doesn't mean AppShopper and AppZapp will never get any more updates...

Primoz
09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
your application is not on appstore,can anyone suggest good horror game for ipod touch 2G 4.2.1?

Would Prisoner 84 work on it? Or maybe "The Crimsons"?

ip4weather
09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
the Crimsons,thanks for that friend :)

Primoz
09-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Did you find it on the AppStore? Because I can't...

Primoz
09-09-2013, 05:19 PM

How about "Hysteria project 1" and "Mystique 1&2".

mackerm
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM

There's still the free tool I made to find apps for older iPods:

https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/

All legal, by the way. Nothing hacky.

psj3809
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I know not everyone is made of money but ipod 2nd gen ???

I couldnt believe how cheap my ipod 4th gen 64 gig went for on ebay, sold so cheaply. Prices of ipod 4th gen's on ebay are very low

jakooistra
10-12-2013, 07:36 AM
All of my old games should work fine on even a first generation iPod touch, be sure I've been out of the app dev scene for over three years. :p

Fastar is a lot of fun!

Blue Defense is unique on the App Store (second wave may not be compatible, but we just put up the original again)

Blue attack and Red Conquest are more complicated, so depending on your kid he might just not like them.

mackerm
10-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I know not everyone is made of money but ipod 2nd gen ???

I couldnt believe how cheap my ipod 4th gen 64 gig went for on ebay, sold so cheaply. Prices of ipod 4th gen's on ebay are very low

Please excuse this mini-rant. It's not aimed at you. But It's too bad you had to sell it for a big loss. It was expensive when new, and you should have gotten many years of good use out of it. The iTunes store makes it very hard to find apps which are compatible with the older iPods like the 2nd generation. Apple could easily include an option to filter out incompatible apps, but for reasons I can only speculate, they haven't done so.

Apple makes its money by selling hardware, but it also makes money selling apps made by independent developers. But guess what? When customers find they need to get a new device after only a couple years, they're going to start looking at Android.

I like Apple. I don't mind paying for a quality device provided that I'm going to get years of good service. But Apple's policy of discouraging development of apps for older devices and the aforementioned roadblocks for customers who want to pay money for apps that work on older devices is corporate suicide.

So I made a simple tool to help Apple despite themselves, to help developers who did the hard work is making good quality games and useful apps, and even to help gamers with the latest iPod who don't want their little sister to mess up their personal device. (There are really lots of games still available for the 1st generation devices, so you can find something nice for her!)

As far as I'm concerned, the proper reason to get a new device is because there's some new game or feature you just want so badly you'll buy a whole new device (Think Halo when it was new, or the Grand Theft Auto 5 for the console players). When Apple tries to strangle the older devices, it's really strangling itself.

Oh, by the way, the App store recently began allowing downloads of "last compatible versions" but this is a poor solution because it guarantees you're getting an out-of-date app. If you want a shot at a current, supported app, you'll need a tool like iOSSearch (https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/).

Rant off.

mirandalou
12-25-2013, 06:25 PM
hi everyone!
im geting really frustrated! i know its christmas and i got a used ipod 2g and i cant find any games! i know if i want games i have to look for old games but like when ppl list the games for the ipod 2g i go and try to download them but they wont let me... and i dont wanna tell my mom that i cant do anything on the ipod....
help. please :o

ninjackid
12-25-2013, 08:11 PM
hi everyone!
im geting really frustrated! i know its christmas and i got a used ipod 2g and i cant find any games! i know if i want games i have to look for old games but like when ppl list the games for the ipod 2g i go and try to download them but they wont let me... and i dont wanna tell my mom that i cant do anything on the ipod....
help. please :o

Hey, welcome to TA and Merry Christmas. Did you try the games on this list? Most of these should still be supported:

Get Eden. If he loves Minecraft, he would love Eden and it ran fine when I had a 2nd gen.

Here's a few others:

Call Of Duty World at War: Zombies
Zombie Highway

Platformers:

Meganoid
Stardash
INC
Mos Speedrun
Stardash
ChocoRun
BlooKid
League Of Evil