PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Back-up problem

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I purchased the 3.0 os for my 2nd Gen non-jailbroken iPod Touch. The update went fine, and after it did everything, I disconnected it as usual.

I recently got a game through iTunes so I hooked up my iPod to sync it, and it ran it's usual back-up routine. It reached about 20% and stayed there for almost an hour before I gave up and canceled it. I disconnected, restarted the iPod and my computer and tried again. Now it's hanging at the back-up status with the animated striped bar (before the actual back-up process) and has been for nearly a half hour.

Has anybody else experienced this? Did you find a solution?

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok so it passed the animated bad and went up to about 2% on the progress bar. I punched a hole in the screen and uninstalled iTunes. Reinstalled 8.2 and am now back at the animated bar. Question: does backing up the iPod require an internet connection? I imagine it does not, but iTunes Store is slow as hell and I was thinking maybe there was a tiny chance it was related. Probably not, though.

Anyways, I sit and wait yet again. If I click "Restore" underneath the "check for update" button, it says everything will be wiped and be restored to factory settings. How do I go about restoring everything that I had on there from the last back up? Will my game saves still be there as well?

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. I decided to restore my iPod. It's currently re-installing all the damn games I had on there. My saved game progress better be saved, I'll be quite upset if it isnt.

Stykman
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. I decided to restore my iPod. It's currently re-installing all the damn games I had on there. My saved game progress better be saved, I'll be quite upset if it isnt.

your welcome!!! and your saved progresses should be saved if you keep the same profile or w/e

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
your welcome!!! and your saved progresses should be saved if you keep the same profile or w/e

I assume you mean choose the "restore from a backup" option? I chose mine, yes. Keeping my fingers crossed. It still has 3.0 installed so hopefully I'll be able to back up once all the shenanigans are done with.

starjimstar
06-17-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't know. And you have been around long enough to know that if you really want responses, you "accidentally" post in the 'game releases' section. Some people will get in a huff but you will get answers too.

wootbean
06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I think I have this problem too :(:( for me it's stuck about a third of the way through.
edit: nvm, I canceled the sync and retried it.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Ok, so it finally synced, but now a new problem, yay! iTunes says sync complete, but my iPod still says Sync in Progress and has for aobut 15 minutes now. I'd really just like my money back, this update has caused nothing but trouble.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Re-synced it to fix the problem, but my saved games aren't there :mad:.
Games that don't have profiles still have save progress, but games like Airport Mania and Bounce On lost the saved profiles:mad:
Is there anyway to recover these?

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't understand, any game that used profiles to save progress had all profiles deleted. Any game that allowed you to save your status to save slots either retained the save data or didn't (some games kept it while others didn't). And any game that only allowed for one user saved all data.
Why does every where I read say that all game progress is saved? Even the Apple support guy said they would. This is obviously not true. I got very far in most of the games that were deleted, and I really don't feel like playing them through from the beginning again.

gus1
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Re-synced it to fix the problem, but my saved games aren't there :mad:.
Games that don't have profiles still have save progress, but games like Airport Mania and Bounce On lost the saved profiles:mad:
Is there anyway to recover these?

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. Could you try to go back to 2.2.1 firmware and try to reinstall the backup to the old firmware? Sounds like 3.0 is a mess. Today I bought a 16 gig touch from Walmart to use as a backup for my games. I have a 32 gig touch. Both are gen2, non jail broken with 2.2.1 firmware. I plugged in the 16 gig touch right out of the box and restored my backup from the 32 gig one to the 16 gig one. It took about an hour and a half to transfer all the games and saves to the new 16 gig one (9 app pages are alot:D). But I was relieved to see that my NFSU save, Galaxy on Fire save, and all other saves transferred to the new 16 gig touch!
My plan is to buy a 3rd gen touch whenever it comes out (I assume that it'll have 3.0 firmware on it). I'll try my best not to mess up my two touches with 2.2.1 on them by going to 3.0. Sorry for the long winded post, but hopefully it can help you.:)

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know how to go back to an older FW. After the restore, I figured it would go back to 2.2.1. But it remained at 3.0.

gus1
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Can you try to erase all data and settings in the ipod touch options app in the touch itself? Will that restore you to 2.2.1? It'll be a bummer if you can't go back to 2.2.1! I suppose another option, albeit a pricey one, is to do what I did. Purchase another touch with 2.2.1 and restore the backup to that. It worked for me, as I have 2 touches with 2.2.1 and the same save data on each. Lots of luck to you on this one. Hope it all works out!:o

jecebn
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't know how to go back to an older FW. After the restore, I figured it would go back to 2.2.1. But it remained at 3.0.

In order to restore back to 2.2.1, you'll need to put your phone in recovery mode.
Open iTunes
Plug your iphone into your computer and wait until iTunes recoginzes it
Turn the phone off
Hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds
Release the power button while still pressing down on the home button
Wait for iTunes to recognize your phone in recovery mode
Once iTunes gives you the option to restore, hold down on the shift key and press "Restore"
Select 2.2.1 from the list that shows up

This worked for me, so it should work for you as well - Hope that helps!

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
And all your game saves (including games that use profiles) remained?
See, I think it's too late though. I already did a normal restore while on 3.0 and I lost my damn saves. I think if I do what you said, I'll just be at 2.2.1 again in the same spot without my saves. 3.0 is working now as far as backing up goes (I actually canceled it when I saw your message because now I don't know what to do).

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
In order to restore back to 2.2.1, you'll need to put your phone in recovery mode.
Open iTunes
Plug your iphone into your computer and wait until iTunes recoginzes it
Turn the phone off
Hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds
Release the power button while still pressing down on the home button
Wait for iTunes to recognize your phone in recovery mode
Once iTunes gives you the option to restore, hold down on the shift key and press "Restore"
Select 2.2.1 from the list that shows up

This worked for me, so it should work for you as well - Hope that helps!

Eh I did this and am at the point where I shift + click restore and it opens up my documents. Where do I find this file?

jecebn
06-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Eh I did this and am at the point where I shift + click restore and it opens up my documents. Where do I find this file?

Mine was in a iTunes folder (which is what opened up when i clicked shift + restore)

And to answer your other question, as long as you have a current backup of your data (did you do this before you initially downloaded the 3.0 update?) - then you should get all of your game saves back

EDIT: if you can't find the 2.2.1 update in a folder on your computer, Im pretty sure you can find the file for download online, just do a google search for 2.2.1 iphone firmware download

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
The only iTunes folder I have is in my music folder. I'm using vista and an iPod Touch, not iPhone if it makes any difference.

The only relevant folder is "Previous iTunes Libraries" but the two files in there aren't recognized by the iTunes restore file selector.

jecebn
06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
The only iTunes folder I have is in my music folder. I'm using vista and an iPod Touch, not iPhone if it makes any difference.

hmmm, not really sure... if you cant find it on your computer, try finding it for download online and you should be able to use that

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
hmmm, not really sure... if you cant find it on your computer, try finding it for download online and you should be able to use that

Well, while searching for it, the iPod disconnected itself?? :confused:

So now I sit here with my iPod connected to iTunes, not being recognized, with the Apple logo hanging there. :mad:

worldcup1100
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Or just try to find it on the hardrive, with the built in search function, you know start>search... That was how I found my firmwares after needing to restore from jailbreak.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Or just try to find it on the hardrive, with the built in search function, you know start>search... That was how I found my firmwares after needing to restore from jailbreak.

Well, as I was typing a response, I got an error using the FW I dl'd and ofcourse had to hit the spacebar at the exact time the error came up so I wasn't able to see what it said.

jecebn
06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, while searching for it, the iPod disconnected itself?? :confused:

So now I sit here with my iPod connected to iTunes, not being recognized, with the Apple logo hanging there. :mad:

... you are having the worst luck with this :( - if you try putting it into recovery mode again, iTunes should recognize it again.

This may help as well - My roomate was having issues updating her iPod Touch as well and decided to downgrade back to 2.2.1 like i had done, but she ran into problems during the process and ended up restoring back to 3.0 - but this time it worked okay for her and the backup went through (took about 45 minutes) - other than trying that, I really dont know what else to tell you :confused: - hope you can get it all worked out

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
... you are having the worst luck with this :( - if you try putting it into recovery mode again, iTunes should recognize it again.

This may help as well - My roomate was having issues updating her iPod Touch as well and decided to downgrade back to 2.2.1 like i had done, but she ran into problems during the process and ended up restoring back to 3.0 - but this time it worked okay for her and the backup went through (took about 45 minutes) - other than trying that, I really dont know what else to tell you :confused: - hope you can get it all worked out

I can't find the ispw file anywhere on my computer. The only relevant folder I found was in an AppleInc_ folder that had a "Update 3.0 for..." folder that was empty. I downloaded the 2.2.1 file from some site and it returned an error. I guess I will download another.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok, I tried again with another file and I believe the same error came up. It says "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An uknown error occured. (20)"

Edit: I also found the directory where the updates get installed to, and the folder is empty? It's user/Appdata/Local/Apple/Apple Software Updates

Why would this be empty if I downloaded both 2.2.1 and 3.0 from iTunes on this same computer?

Edit: Nevermind I found it, it was my Roaming folder, not Local. Who woulda thunk. I'm gunna restart and try it with my own file.

worldcup1100
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, as I was typing a response, I got an error using the FW I dl'd and ofcourse had to hit the spacebar at the exact time the error came up so I wasn't able to see what it said.

If you want to see what the error was, I believe that if you right click your device there is an option to reset error messages so that you can try to recreate it.
Other than that good luck getting it to work, it seems that apple is out to get you today.:rolleyes:

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
If you want to see what the error was, I believe that if you right click your device there is an option to reset error messages so that you can try to recreate it.
Other than that good luck getting it to work, it seems that apple is out to get you today.:rolleyes:

Ok, I used my own FW file that I found, it worked. So now I must wait another 18 hours for this to finish. If by the end of the night, I end up with 3.0 and no saved games, you will no longer find me on TA, as I'll be in the hospital with iPod glass shards stuck in my head from ramming the pile of shit.
Thanks for all the help so far guys and gals. It looks like I'm out of luck though. If this restore doesn't get my saves back, then I don't think there are anymore options left. I don't know why my backups would not give me my saved game profiles back. The auto-Backing up before syncing is the same as normally backing up, correct? It's been backed up by this method more times than I care to count, but when selecting my backup point, only one is there is "Mike's iPod" with no date. Is this normal?

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Goddamnit, I give up. This is ridiculous. I starts the restore, I picked my point and all that jazz. 15 minutes later it says that the file is corrupt or my iPod is not compatible... Mind you, this is the file I downloaded via update when it first was released....

Now I have an erase iPod with 2.2.1 FW and I can't restore.

worldcup1100
06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Ok, I used my own FW file that I found, it worked. So now I must wait another 18 hours for this to finish. If by the end of the night, I end up with 3.0 and no saved games, you will no longer find me on TA, as I'll be in the hospital with iPod glass shards stuck in my head from ramming the pile of shit.
Thanks for all the help so far guys and gals. It looks like I'm out of luck though. If this restore doesn't get my saves back, then I don't think there are anymore options left. I don't know why my backups would not give me my saved game profiles back. The auto-Backing up before syncing is the same as normally backing up, correct? It's been backed up by this method more times than I care to count, but when selecting my backup point, only one is there is "Mike's iPod" with no date. Is this normal?

To answer the last part I generally have about 5 or 6 options with one not having a date, to me all of your stuff seems pretty screwy.

I would just suggest getting a good night's rest or a long break and coming back to it later much more clear minded and ready to fix it up.

Best of luck,
Alex

The Bat Outta Hell
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Is that sarcasm or were posts deleted :confused:

I'm stuck at like 80% or so, this is bullpoo >=O

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Is that sarcasm or were posts deleted :confused:

I'm stuck at like 80% or so, this is bullpoo >=O

Sarcasm.

worldcup1100
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Goddamnit, I give up. This is ridiculous. I starts the restore, I picked my point and all that jazz. 15 minutes later it says that the file is corrupt or my iPod is not compatible... Mind you, this is the file I downloaded via update when it first was released....

Now I have an erase iPod with 2.2.1 FW and I can't restore.

I have gotten this message before and fixed it by using another firmware side two show up for me, your stuff sounds pretty corrupt and it may be best to find a new version online and try again with that.

I think I am going to bed now, but I'll try to help some more in the morning with the little knowledge I have.

starjimstar
06-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I began the install about 2 and a half hours ago and it is still backing up my current state. It is moving, just really slowly. Looks like maybe another hour of backing up to do. I wish I could just bypass this step because I am not that attached to my saved data. I have so much redundancy in my workflow as it is this step is totally unnecessary. Oh well.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I have gotten this message before and fixed it by using another firmware side two show up for me, your stuff sounds pretty corrupt and it may be best to find a new version online and try again with that.

I think I am going to bed now, but I'll try to help some more in the morning with the little knowledge I have.

Thanks for the help. I restored from this back-up point the first time after installed 3.0. Then I went into recovery mode and chose 2.21 to restore to, but after picking this same point, a few minutes later it came back saying corrupt or incompatible. So I now have exited out of recovery mode and reconnected the iPod. It's wiped clean at this point and it says it has 2.2.1. I'm currently running the regular restore using the same chosen point and it seems to be going ok so far. It's about half way through the restore. If this is successful, I will let it re-sync all the games and such and then update to 3.0 again. I imagine I will run into about 53828 more problems along the way, though.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I began the install about 2 and a half hours ago and it is still backing up my current state. It is moving, just really slowly. Looks like maybe another hour of backing up to do. I wish I could just bypass this step because I am not that attached to my saved data. I have so much redundancy in my workflow as it is this step is totally unnecessary. Oh well.

Honestly, I wish I had done what you are doing now. I grew impatient with the backup status. It had been hanging at about 30% for almost 2.5 hours when I canceled it.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Egh, so the restore just finished and looks like I have 3.0 again. I don't know how since I never made a back-up after 3.0 installed except for the restore point, which I made sure I did not select. Whatever, I don't even care if those few profile games aren't saved. This is getting on my nerves.

starjimstar
06-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Honestly, I wish I had done what you are doing now. I grew impatient with the backup status. It had been hanging at about 30% for almost 2.5 hours when I canceled it.

Actually my install was not without hiccups. The first time I attempted to update, iTunes would error out of the backup process. Rebooting fixed that, though.

The Bat Outta Hell
06-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Okay so tell me if I'm doing anything wrong to keep all my save files intact.

*I'm backing up with the version 2.2.1 right now
*I'm going to do the restore update right after.

WILL my saves still be there from the restore?

AndyL
06-17-2009, 11:39 PM

Yes, your saves and game data will still be there. Restore to factory
settings then after that a screen will say restore to a clean device or from a backup. Choose backup and select the backup you want and off you go. To view backups, choose from iTunes: Edit> Preferences> Devices.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:39 PM

I'll tell you what I did, so you don't recreate it.

-I backed up before dl'ing 3.0.
-After downloading, the back up wouldn't finish so I canceled and tried a number of times again.
-After failing, I then restored from the backup that I made before I downloaded 3.0 and that fixed the problem, but my saves were gone. (At this point I'm guessing a backup was done that overwrote the initial backup I restored from)

-I did not want this to be the case, so I then went into recovery mode and tried to restore from 2.2.1. Which told me it was incompatible with the backup restore point I chose (which is why I think the backup of the 3.0 was done)
-I then exited recovery, and reconnected to iTunes via standard method. It told me I had 2.2.1 on there, but my iPod was wiped clean
-I am now restoring to the very same restore point I did the first time (or so I thought), which has put 3.0 back on there, which further verifies I must've overwrote it.
-At this point in time, it's currently syncing all the games from the restore point. I already know my profiled game saves won't be there as this restore was obviously post-3.0 install.

Key things to remember: DO NOT FORGET TO CANCEL THE BACKUP or you will lose your restore point from pre-3.0

I really would like to know why the games that use profiles didn't transfer.

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Actually my install was not without hiccups. The first time I attempted to update, iTunes would error out of the backup process. Rebooting fixed that, though.

I did all normal remedies such as rebooting etc. After the first back up hung, all backs up after that would remain at the animated pre-progress bar for about an hour, then go to about 2% and hang there for an hour.

The Bat Outta Hell
06-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll tell you what I did, so you don't recreate it.

-I backed up before dl'ing 3.0.
-After downloading, back up wouldn't finish so I canceled and tried a number of times again.
-I then restored from a backup and that fixed the problem, but my saves were gone. (At this point I'm guessing a backup was done that overwrote the initial backup I restored from)
-I then went into recovery mode and tried to restore from 2.2.1 which told me it was incompatible with the backup restore point I chose (which is why I think the backup of the 3.0 was done)
-I then exited recovery, and reconnected. It told me I had 2.2.1 on there, but my iPod was wiped clean
-I am now restoring to the very same restore point I did the first time, which has put 3.0 back on there, which further verifies I must've overwrote it.
-At this point in time, it's currently syncing all the games from the restore point. I already know my profiled game saves won't be there as this restore was obviously post-3.0 install.

Key things to remember: DO NOT FORGET TO CANCEL THE BACKUP or you will lose your restore point from pre-3.0

I really would like to know why the games that use profiles didn't transfer.

That's REALLY hard to understand, I hope I don't do something like it on accident D=

VoodooVyper
06-17-2009, 11:53 PM
That's REALLY hard to understand, I hope I don't do something like it on accident D=

It makes sense, if you'd like I can reiterate any of the steps for you.

The most key thing that happened to me was I did a restore via the traditional method, after the restore was complete, it backed up. That back up must have overwrote my original backup file that was there before I even started with any of this. Hence, why I am having trouble restoring from that backup with 2.2.1 (because its a 3.0 back up)

The Bat Outta Hell
06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
OMFG.

I just ****ed up EVERYTHING.

I thought It would automatically back up since the back up I originally did didn't work. I was wrong. When I saw it said "Restoring", I quickly pulled the cable, but apparently it deletes stuff REALLY FAST. FML, my last back up was 4/21

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 12:32 AM
OMFG.

I just ****ed up EVERYTHING.

I thought It would automatically back up since the back up I originally did didn't work. I was wrong. When I saw it said "Restoring", I quickly pulled the cable, but apparently it deletes stuff REALLY FAST. FML, my last back up was 4/21

Bummer. I have not trusted my phone with any sensitive data since the non-stop crashes pre OS 2.1. I even move my backups out of the MobileSync folder so Time Machine will back them up, making incremental backups because most of them are corrupt anyway.

Sometimes Apple's methods are just as convoluted as the next guy's.

*Still backing up...

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
At least you have back ups that have dates. Every time I back my iPod up, it just overwrites the last back up... Meaning before today, I had only one back up even though it backs up every time I plug it in, which is at least once per day.

If I read yo correctly, it sounds like to tried to restore to 2.2.1 with a 3.0 back up and it failed when trying to restore.

You should try to restore from that most recent back up point. (Not by recovery mode)
It should be successful, but will bring you back to 3.0.

jecebn
06-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Bummer. I have not trusted my phone with any sensitive data since the non-stop crashes pre OS 2.1. I even move my backups out of the MobileSync folder so Time Machine will back them up, making incremental backups because most of them are corrupt anyway.

Sometimes Apple's methods are just as convoluted as the next guy's.

*Still backing up...

i remember having to restore my phone multiple times per day on 2.0 b/c it kept freezing up (and loosing all of my pics, texts, and contacts because the backup files were "corrupt")... god that was awful- each restore would take HOURS to complete...

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 12:45 AM
i remember having to restore my phone multiple times per day on 2.0 b/c it kept freezing up (and loosing all of my pics, texts, and contacts because the backup files were "corrupt")... god that was awful- each restore would take HOURS to complete...

Multiple times per day? Wow, mine would brick every few days. I was traveling a lot at the time too. I was always worried I would see the Apple of death while I was far away from iTunes.

jecebn
06-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Multiple times per day? Wow, mine would brick every few days. I was traveling a lot at the time too. I was always worried I would see the Apple of death while I was far away from iTunes.

Yea, I finally wised up and figured out it was because I had too many apps on my phone... but even after I deleted most of the apps, I still had to restore frequently

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Yea, I finally wised up and figured out it was because I had too many apps on my phone... but even after I deleted most of the apps, I still had to restore frequently

Well, I'm finally done. 10 hours later, 2 full restores and 3 half done failed restores. I now have 3.0 back on with half my saved games in the toilet and a supreme punch to my motivation and yearn to replay those titles.

So glad I paid $10 for this.

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
At the end of the day, patience is key. Starjim, by all means, let that thing back up for hours if it has to. I advise everyone to stay away from this restoring nonsense with 3.0.

AaronAMV
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
All right, so what do I do now? I was just installing the update, it went off fine, but when trying to back up my iTouch it hangs at 25%. Should I just re-sync it and try again?

edit: i just canceled the backup, but it looks like all my apps are still on my iTouch and all my stuff was saved. coo'

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
All right, so what do I do now? I was just installing the update, it went off fine, but when trying to back up my iTouch it hangs at 25%. Should I just re-sync it and try again?

edit: i just canceled the backup, but it looks like all my apps are still on my iTouch and all my stuff was saved. coo'

Yea, canceling the backup won't do anything except not save a backup for future reference. If you find that it won't backup completely, don't give up with it. Try letting it stay over night while backing up.

If, and only if, you have to, then restore to an earlier back up prior to installing 3.0.

gus1
06-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Question to VoodooVyper: Where did you find the copy of the fw 2.2.1 on your computer? Is yours a mac or pc? I'm trying to locate it on my pc. My "iphone system software update" folder is empty. It was located in the itunes folder inside a folder labeled "Various Artists". Also, do you know where the backup files are stored in the computer? I tried looking for it but can't find it. I'd like to backup the backup:) after all the scary stories in this post! Thanks in advance.

Tharob
06-18-2009, 02:22 AM
where does itunes store your ipod backups?

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Question to VoodooVyper: Where did you find the copy of the fw 2.2.1 on your computer? Is yours a mac or pc? I'm trying to locate it on my pc. My "iphone system software update" folder is empty. It was located in the itunes folder inside a folder labeled "Various Artists". Also, do you know where the backup files are stored in the computer? I tried looking for it but can't find it. I'd like to backup the backup:) after all the scary stories in this post! Thanks in advance.

On vista, I went to users/(your username)/AppData(it's a hidden folder, check your folder settings to show hidden folders)/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/

Just be sure your backing up to a point that was made BEFORE you downloaded 3.0, or else it you'll be left with a 2.2.1 empty iPod and will have to restore to 3.0 again.

What I'm questioning is, if people are posting other firmwares up for download on websites and such, then why can't the same be done with 3.0? It's the same type of file.

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Still backing up. It has only backed up 630 MB in 5 hours. What could possibly be taking so long?

gus1
06-18-2009, 02:59 AM
On vista, I went to users/(your username)/AppData(it's a hidden folder, check your folder settings to show hidden folders)/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/

Just be sure your backing up to a point that was made BEFORE you downloaded 3.0, or else it you'll be left with a 2.2.1 empty iPod and will have to restore to 3.0 again.

What I'm questioning is, if people are posting other firmwares up for download on websites and such, then why can't the same be done with 3.0? It's the same type of file.

Thanks, I've found the fw files. However, where is the backup data stored?

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks, I've found the fw files. However, where is the backup data stored?

On a mac;
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

If you are using Windows, I haven't a clue.

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Finished. A mere 7 and a half hour walk in the park.

Crypton
06-18-2009, 06:39 AM

On XP it is in %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

I was so unforuntate and had a corrupted ipsw file. Apperntly Apple didn't find it necessary to check whether an archive is valid or not. iTunes tried to update with that corrupted file and voilá I had to completly restore. It took me two full hours to find the source of the error (unkown error 14, during/after the restore), with the friendly, but unfortunate not so competent Apple Support hotline.
I advice everyone to check whether the downloaded file is acutally valid (just open it with any ZIP reading software you have and hit check or whatever).

I'm currently waiting for my restore to finish...

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Finished. A mere 7 and a half hour walk in the park.

You saved yourself a bigger headache, imo.

1337brian
06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I still need help, tried to let the iphone update all night last night, came back and nothing seemed to happen... stuck on the backup @ 50-60% or so...
Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet?... :confused:

[EDIT] - Well I got 3.0 but at the expense of losing all my save games!....
Oh well it at least kept my contacts, that's what I was mostly concerned about, now it gives me a reason to beat them again I guess....

AaronAMV
06-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I have an iTouch, so maybe it's different, but it was stuck at around 25%, I canceled the sync, unhooked it, plugged it back in, and the backup went fine. :S

Crypton
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
OK. After restoring the second time to my backup from this morning, I have... nothing :(
Not one app was restored in those 4.5 hour sessions, not one video, not one song...
I wonder what that $8!tty iTunes did...
I'm now going to install the apps I want and the music and videos, etc......

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Crypton, do a restore from the normal interface, not the recovery mode. Restore to the last backup and it should bring you back to 3.0 with the apps you had on it before going back to 2.2.1

Crypton
06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
@VoodooVyper: I tried that. After I posted I did a sync and I got all my apps back, at least in their order I had them before, but it seems that I lost ALL my saved data... :(

starjimstar
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Two hours in standby and my battery is nearly dead. What is 3.0 doing behind the scenes? FML

VoodooVyper
06-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Two hours in standby and my battery is nearly dead. What is 3.0 doing behind the scenes? FML

I don't have an iPhone, but maybe you were in an area where the signal strength was very low and it was struggling to get a signal?
That usually wastes the battery on cell phones.

The Bat Outta Hell
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm happy to say even though the update erased EVERYTHING, all the features and apps work fine, except Isotope, which spikes now.

starjimstar
06-19-2009, 05:58 AM
I don't have an iPhone, but maybe you were in an area where the signal strength was very low and it was struggling to get a signal?
That usually wastes the battery on cell phones.

I was just around home this morning. I picked up my phone and it was burning up. I turned it off and plugged it in. I later turned it on again and within an hour my battery was half drained and my phone was really hot. I put it in airplane mode and the drain stopped. I am guessing it is a problem with push notifications, but I dunno. I can't live like this. I am going to try restoring OS 2.2.1 this weekend.

I just began every sentence with "I."

AClockworkSausage
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm having a problem with OS3 and backing up as well.
Seems to have frozen at around 50% and doesn't seem to be moving.
Will leave it in a while longer...