PDA

View Full Version : Have you bought energy packs in Eliminate?

upsidedown
11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to see how many did/didn't.

AlvinDj
11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Very tempted to buy but have not purchased any yet ><

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Havent bought any yet and dont feel the need to buy either. But I`ll sure be paying something to ngmoco for this great game. Might buy a couple of $2 packs or maybe a $10 one instead :)

loves2spoon
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Do Not Purchase the $10 or $30 pack!!!!

kazcat42
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Do Not Purchase the $10 or $30 pack!!!!

??? Because? Don't we want this game to be a success so that more like it are made? The more serious devs we can attract to the iPhone platform the better imo...

d1
11-03-2009, 10:11 AM
i believe that if ngmofos halved the $10 and $30 packs, they would receive wayyyy more business. id totally be down to buy a $5 pack moreso than $10. i doubt they'll ever lower it tho..even tho it makes sense..the cheaper, the more business ur likely to get. $1 apps have proved that.

loves2spoon
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
??? Because? Don't we want this game to be a success so that more like it are made? The more serious devs we can attract to the iPhone platform the better imo...

hmmmmm let's pay $30 to get energy cells to play the game the way it should be played so you can get credits!

wait $30 a month for energy! $30 a month for a Data Plan for the iPhone!

hmmmmmmmmmmm something doesn't seem right...

you go ahead and waste $30 a month on eliminate :cool:

Genius
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Same

Acidbottle
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
the pricing is horrendous, there is no way on earth id pay that for crippled software. a one off game payment or a monthly tarrif is fine, but to charge this amount of money and, after your few hours of game fun your back to where you started is incredible. there are plenty of free to play, pay to upgrade games around and this one has been devised, i feel, to milk the consumer for an unfair amount of money and as quickly as possible, its as bad as those useless mafia wars stylee titles. they need to rethink.

in anycase, its a reasonable game, not that outstanding.

monk666
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
i believe that if ngmofos halved the $10 and $30 packs, they would receive wayyyy more business. id totally be down to buy a $5 pack moreso than $10. i doubt they'll ever lower it tho..even tho it makes sense..the cheaper, the more business ur likely to get. $1 apps have proved that.

ngmofos... well said.

If you guys even paused to think about it. $30 dollars can buy you a couple of amazing quality games like Doom, Asphalt 5 etc. Is this ripoff of the quake-engine even worth $30? It's a new concept, but think, people, THINK!

When gameloft comes out with Nova (with online multiplayer) and charges only $10 to play FOREVER, this game will eliminate itself nicely. :):cool::D;)

LBG
11-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I would rather spend $30 worth of Khalid Saikh's apps than buy the $30 energy pack (or any energy pack for that matter).

str1f3
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
ngmofos... well said.

If you guys even paused to think about it. $30 dollars can buy you a couple of amazing quality games like Doom, Asphalt 5 etc. Is this ripoff of the quake-engine even worth $30? It's a new concept, but think, people, THINK!

When gameloft comes out with Nova (with online multiplayer) and charges only $10 to play FOREVER, this game will eliminate itself nicely. :):cool::D;)

I'll believe Nova has multiplayer when they actually come out with it. I believed them when they said the same thing with Ferrari GT.

I've spent probably around $15 which was what I was going to spend anyway on Eliminate. I think it's a little crazy to go for the $30 pack.

While I think it's a great game, the battery charges just simply don't last long enough. The casual gamer will only get credits about once a day. Due to the Canada launch, some got a nice head start and I'm just trying to catch up.

LBG
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll believe Nova has multiplayer when they actually come out with it. I believed them when they said the same thing with Ferrari GT.

I've spent probably around $15 which was what I was going to spend anyway on Eliminate. I think it's a little crazy to go for the $30 pack.

While I think it's a great game, the battery charges just simply don't last long enough. The casual gamer will only get credits about once a day. Due to the Canada launch, some got a nice head start and I'm just trying to catch up.

Well it was confirmed by Gameloft, as was the MC: Sandstorm online mp update. I truely believe that they will include online multiplayer because they are adding it to a lot more of their games now. 2 recent games of theirs - RS 10 and Asphalt 5 have online multiplayer, surely they are capable of including it in any game they want to now. And anyway, how else would Gameloft be able to ruin things for ngmoco?

Winterymix
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Voted no. Games like this take quite a bit of practice to get good at, and if you are competitive like me, you would play for hours at a time a couple times a week. That would mean I'd have to dish out probably $60+ a month to play at what I would consider a competitive level. And for me, there's no point in playing at all if I can't play at a competitive level.

So, I will not be buying any extra power. I will be deleting the game from my iphone today. If the developers make it MUCH more cost effective at some point, I might re-install.

Eli
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Well it was confirmed by Gameloft, as was the MC: Sandstorm online mp update. I truely believe that they will include online multiplayer because they are adding it to a lot more of their games now. 2 recent games of theirs - RS 10 and Asphalt 5 have online multiplayer, surely they are capable of including it in any game they want to now. And anyway, how else would Gameloft be able to ruin things for ngmoco?

The thing is, just having online multiplayer isn't exactly a killer feature, especially with a game as stale as Modern Combat which isn't even on the top side of the paid games listing currently. Online multiplayer is only successful if it has a large community to back it up. Regardless of how much you want to complain about Eliminate, the RPG style progression system wrapped in the energy microtransactions is going to keep people playing the game for a very long time.

It seems like most of you have these visions in your head of launching Modern Combat and getting thrown in to some massive online battle... And I just don't think that's going to be the case. Even popular games that add online multiplayer after the fact hardly ever have much of an online community.

Either way, until Gameloft actually previews how their multiplayer is going to work or actually finally releases the update, talking about how much it's going to own Eliminate is kind of silly.

And as far as whether or not people are going to buy energy... Well, Eliminate is already charting on the top side of the top grossing games list.

intake66
11-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Voted no. Games like this take quite a bit of practice to get good at, and if you are competitive like me, you would play for hours at a time a couple times a week. That would mean I'd have to dish out probably $60+ a month to play at what I would consider a competitive level. And for me, there's no point in playing at all if I can't play at a competitive level.

So, I will not be buying any extra power. I will be deleting the game from my iphone today. If the developers make it MUCH more cost effective at some point, I might re-install.

well said. This is my exact issue with buying these packs. This reminds me of those wack ass mafia wars games. Drop 29.99 and buy some respect points. haha no thanks

jwm2
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Its people like this that give apps like this its legs. Way to be their cash cow.

DaveMc99
11-03-2009, 12:50 PM
People are buying the energy packs. Already the #52 top grossing game.
http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/games/grossing/?sort=change&dir=desc

LBG
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
The thing is, just having online multiplayer isn't exactly a killer feature, especially with a game as stale as Modern Combat which isn't even on the top side of the paid games listing currently. Online multiplayer is only successful if it has a large community to back it up. Regardless of how much you want to complain about Eliminate, the RPG style progression system wrapped in the energy microtransactions is going to keep people playing the game for a very long time.

It seems like most of you have these visions in your head of launching Modern Combat and getting thrown in to some massive online battle... And I just don't think that's going to be the case. Even popular games that add online multiplayer after the fact hardly ever have much of an online community.

Either way, until Gameloft actually previews how their multiplayer is going to work or actually finally releases the update, talking about how much it's going to own Eliminate is kind of silly.

And as far as whether or not people are going to buy energy... Well, Eliminate is already charting on the top side of the top grossing games list.

Did I even say that Gameloft's games will own Eliminate?
No.

Did I ask for a biased admin/reviewer's biased opinion?
No.

I understand that ngmoco has all of this 'community multiplayer' going on, but with the payed energy system, I honestly think that the game will wear thin after a couple of weeks.
I believe that Gameloft will take over from where ngmoco stalled.
They always seem to have a knack of releasing just the right game at just the right time.

You can't compare a FREE FPS WITH online multiplayer with a PAID FPS WITHOUT online multiplayer (in terms of top charts/top grossing).
And even if you could, it would NOT be an indication of which game is better.
Obviously Eliminate will say high in the charts for a while, mainly due to the fact that it is free.
When gameloft's online FPS game/update are released then I think we will see them go up in the charts, provided that Gameloft advertises the new online multiplayer more.

From playing both games, I can honestly say that the graphics, controls and general gameplay of MC: Sandstorm is better than Eliminate.
And with the update on top of that, the game will just be even better.

Veratek
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I can't say I have bought energy packs, apparently jailbroken phones cannot.

Dark_Messenger
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I think mngmocko or whatever their name was concept is splendid! I wish i would be a dev thats come up with this idea! Have you any idea how much money this company is going to make of you guys!? Think of it. First they present their new awesome game and start a hype about it, building steam amongs the kids. They develop a really fun, polished, addictive game and release it to all you 14 year old kids out there - for free! But... Theres a catch! (of course). To be "competative" you must buy energy to your little warrior.. And now when they know that the hype is planted, the word goes around, classmates competing with each other, buddies play together and so on, mngimokko know that you guys are hooked. You are gonna pay whether you like it or not because all your irl-friends does it, and all your internetbuddies does it, and all the people you "hear about" does it...

Its awesome! They actually have found a way to sell digital crack to kids. And get away with it! =)

God i want in on this scam!

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Its awesome! They actually have found a way to sell digital crack to kids. And get away with it! =)

God i want in on this scam!

Scam?? Last time I checked it was still free to play :rolleyes:

I`ve been playing it for a couple of days now and seriously do not feel any need for energy packs. It`s a lot of fun even without the extra energy IMO. If I ever buy it then it`d be just to support ngmoco for this awesome game. Where is the scam in it?

I`ve paid 10 bucks for iPhone games which I didnt even play/enjoy half as much as I already did with eliminate in two days. Still a scam? :rolleyes:

dmbfan1192
11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
You can't compare a FREE FPS WITH online multiplayer with a PAID FPS WITHOUT online multiplayer (in terms of top charts/top grossing).
And even if you could, it would NOT be an indication of which game is better.
Obviously Eliminate will say high in the charts for a while, mainly due to the fact that it is free.
When gameloft's online FPS game/update are released then I think we will see them go up in the charts, provided that Gameloft advertises the new online multiplayer more.
I don't think that you understood what Hodapp was saying. Top grossing indicates that the game is pulling in a lot of money. Obviously a free game by itself cannot make it to this list due to the fact that there is no money coming in. However, Eliminate is in the top grossing, and therefore must be selling something. So the reason that Eliminate is in the top grossing is not because is is free, but because it is making a lot of money. It is making money, because they are selling energy packs!

I'm assuming that you are saying that a free game will be downloaded more times than a paid game, and of course then you would be right. But Hodapp didn't say that; he said top GROSSING.

julzsantana15
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I'll buy some when I got the Xtra Moolah

Dark_Messenger
11-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Scam?? Last time I checked it was still free to play :rolleyes:

I`ve been playing it for a couple of days now and seriously do not feel any need for energy packs. It`s a lot of fun even without the extra energy IMO. If I ever buy it then it`d be just to support ngmoco for this awesome game. Where is the scam in it?

I`ve paid 10 bucks for iPhone games which I didnt even play/enjoy half as much as I already did with eliminate in two days. Still a scam? :rolleyes:

Yes so i've heard. That you can play for free i mean. But do you really think all the hardcoregamers will see it this way? I may be wrong here but i still think this company gonna make a ton of money on this concept in the long run. If their game is good enough and holds up of course.

Of course people whine about this whole idea now becouse its a new unseen concept but just you wait. People are going to buy this, more or less, im sure of it. =)

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Of course people whine about this whole idea now becouse its a new unseen concept but just you wait. People are going to buy this, more or less, im sure of it. =)
http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/andrew/4_mar07/captainobvious.jpg

mirrorbender
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
i bought one $10 energy pack, because i feel that this game is worth $10. It is lasting me a while and allowing me to have access to more weapons and upgrades. But once it runs out, i feel that i will be content to wait 4 hours per energized game like everyone else

LBG
11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't think that you understood what Hodapp was saying. Top grossing indicates that the game is pulling in a lot of money. Obviously a free game by itself cannot make it to this list due to the fact that there is no money coming in. However, Eliminate is in the top grossing, and therefore must be selling something. So the reason that Eliminate is in the top grossing is not because is is free, but because it is making a lot of money. It is making money, because they are selling energy packs!

I'm assuming that you are saying that a free game will be downloaded more times than a paid game, and of course then you would be right. But Hodapp didn't say that; he said top GROSSING.

Sorry, my mistake there.
The chart get pretty confusing now that you can have DLC in free apps.
Eliminate isn't even on the 100 top grossing in my country (UK).
It is only at 14th place on the top free also.
But anway, I still maintain my arguement.

The average Joe:

- Downloads and plays eliminate.
- Gets addicted and spends a bit of money.
- Realises that he doesn't have any money left to buy any weed.
- Sees gameloft's Nova has been released for perhaps Ģ2.99 with free online multiplayer with maybe with RPG elements, no DLC, and more than 4 player death match.
- Converts to Nova, then smokes some more weed with the money he saved.

You know Gameloft and their sly ways.
They love to ruin the fun for other developers - which is why I think that they will be the ones to piss on ngmoco's fire when Nova/MC: Sandstorm update gets released.

upsidedown
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM

I disagree. People are not like that. If they see a Free, good game, and a ten dollar, good game, they are going to play the free game first, and maybe buy a pack or two, and then realize they are wasting money, when they could be buying a ten dollar game and playing forever. This game will remain fairly high in the appstore. Of course, it won't last forever up there, but a good while.

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
The average Joe:
- Downloads and plays eliminate.
- Gets addicted and spends a bit of money.
- Realises that he doesn't have any money left to buy any weed.
Ok. GO on...
- Sees gameloft's Nova has been released for perhaps Ģ2.99 with free online multiplayer with maybe with RPG elements, no DLC, and more than 4 player death match.
- Converts to Nova, then smokes some more weed with the money he saved.
Ehh. What? I think if anyone`s on crack then it`d be you. Or you work for gameloft. I`d go for the former as that seems more possible. How the hell do you know how much will NOVA cost? Or if there`ll be any DLC or not? Seriously?

LBG
11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok. GO on...

Ehh. What? I think if anyone`s on crack then it`d be you. Or you work for gameloft. I`d go for the former as that seems more possible. How the hell do you know how much will NOVA cost? Or if there`ll be any DLC or not? Seriously?

I don't.
It was a SUGGESTION. Hence the words 'perhaps' an 'maybe'.
I was simply showing a possible (and quite likely) possibility.
Sorry If I didn't make that clear enough.

:)

schplurg
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
To answer the OP: no I have not, nor will I buy any energy packs. I think the pricing model is outrageously high. I think TouchPets is even worse. This game is more expensive to play than any PC game for a heavy player.

I also just can't get into playing an fps on my phone. I mean the controls are probably as good as they can be, but it still drives me crazy trying to play one. The controls kill all of these games for me.

This game may start grossing less once some of the parents out there get the credit card statements from their kids touch devices :)

I actually hope the business model fails, as I don't want to have to pay a "subscription" for every game I own. If I want to pay every time I play I'll go to an arcade!

Frej444
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
True that, lower the price :p it's killing me!
cause it's the same with discount shops, people go buy discount, but they still spend the same money, or more even, because it's cheaper :S also with low fat products, sometimes people buy more low fat products, and it eventually turns out that they've eaten the same equal to buying non low fat product, get my drift?

loves2spoon
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Those of you defending ngmoco's pricing for power packs, how can you not see the big picture?

no energy = no credits
not earning credits = your not playing the game the way it was intended.
you cannot upgrade weapons, armor, etc...

You can play for free but not gain anything, sounds like fun :rolleyes:

Eli
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
You can play for free but not gain anything, sounds like fun :rolleyes:

What? How am I earning credits every day without paying anything then? Your energy slowly recharges over time, you can advance your character without paying a cent, it will just take a while.

Seriously people, I'm all for raging out against legit causes, but at least understand how the game works before getting angry about it. :)

DaveMc99
11-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Those of you defending ngmoco's pricing for power packs, how can you not see the big picture?

There is no defense needed. MMOs/WoW games have proven people will pay to level up in games. If you don't want to pay then don't pay. Enough people will pay that it really doesn't matter to Ngmoco if you do or not.

Eli
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
There is no defense needed. MMOs/WoW games have proven people will pay to level up in games. If you don't want to pay then don't pay. Enough people will pay that it really doesn't matter to Ngmoco if you do or not.

Exactly. I suggest you guys listen to our latest podcast where we discuss DLC. The people who always complain the loudest about any kind of pricing along with the people who are complaining about there not being any kind of "all you can eat" price point are so far outside ngmoco's target customer base that it doesn't make much sense for them to make accommodations for those two play styles.

Where ngmoco is going to make their money on Eliminate is casual gamers who download the game because they heard it was cool from a friend of theirs or saw it featured and/or on the top lists. It's free so they've got nothing to lose, but if they're in a situation where they're just on the cusp of leveling up or getting some awesome new weapon, they likely won't have a problem flipping out a buck or two to push them over the edge.

I've already had a few non-gamer friends of mine email or IM me about this exact thing. ;)

And again, if this business model didn't work, Zynga wouldn't have made $200m this year.

Mew2468
11-03-2009, 02:30 PM
People are buying the energy packs. Already the #52 top grossing game.
http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/games/grossing/?sort=change&dir=desc

Lol, a free game on the Top Grossing list :D. It's the #31 top grossing game in Canada right now.

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Lol, a free game on the Top Grossing list :D. It's the #31 top grossing game in Canada right now.
Its a scam (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=613955&postcount=21) :rolleyes:

Nausicaa
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
So much bitching. I've bought $1 worth of energy, and I'm already a level 9 player with enough upgrades to destroy most people I play with. People are pretending like you absolutely must spend $30 to enjoy this game and it's just not true. When you reach a certain level and attain upgrades, they stay with you, regardless of your energy level, and you can play as much as you want. I feel like spending a total of $5 would be enough to create a pretty awesome character to play with.

I'm glad they chose this model because it ensures there are always people to play with. The iPhone gaming community is pretty small, and if the game cost $10 out of the gate, fewer people would be playing. As it stands, I've seen the player levels peak around 3000 people, and bottom out around 100-200 players. If it wasn't a free app, I suspect the peak would be rarely break 500 players. And over time? That number would drop like a rock in a month.

That said, I do think it would be beneficial for ngmoco to ensure the energy depletes more slowly. Losing four energy points every game, regardless of how long it lasts, is a bit excessive.

Overall the game is insanely polished. The integration with Plus+ was handled extremely well. The menus and tutorials are cool and well designed. The upgrades seem extensive, but also well balanced. And I'm shocked there's so little lag while player over 3G.

Shinto
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
After some time playing Eliminate I have to say Ngmoco is a very clever and visionary company:

-There is thousands of people playing a new released game.
-I can play for free no matter the hour with friends or not.
- I can play the game on casual times, like 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in night and I will level up and get new items
-Or I can play more hardcore all the time I want for free without getting levels but for me is fun playing with the items/levels I have, I want to level up but I am not obsessed with that more that to get fun from the game

And with the Appstore pricing trend this new sell model is one of the few posibilities for an online only game to be an exit.

I congratulate Ngmoco and I will buy some energy pack in future to support the idea.

LBG
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Exactly. I suggest you guys listen to our latest podcast where we discuss DLC. The people who always complain the loudest about any kind of pricing along with the people who are complaining about there not being any kind of "all you can eat" price point are so far outside ngmoco's target customer base that it doesn't make much sense for them to make accommodations for those two play styles.

Where ngmoco is going to make their money on Eliminate is casual gamers who download the game because they heard it was cool from a friend of theirs or saw it featured and/or on the top lists. It's free so they've got nothing to lose, but if they're in a situation where they're just on the cusp of leveling up or getting some awesome new weapon, they likely won't have a problem flipping out a buck or two to push them over the edge.

I've already had a few non-gamer friends of mine email or IM me about this exact thing. ;)

And again, if this business model didn't work, Zynga wouldn't have made $200m this year.

Ok, I am not saying that ngmoco isn't going to be successful.

And I am NOT a person who typically 'complains' about the price.
In fact, this is the first time that I have complained about the price of any app.

When you say that some people expect an 'all you can eat' price, you are really saying that some people expect a 'typical game'.
Most games tend to have a price attached to them, you buy the game, then you can play the game. Simple as that.
So this is not an 'all you can eat' type game, like most other games.
Instead it is a 'pay then have a mouthful, then pay again to take another mouthful'. And that just isn't right IMO.

Like other TA members have said, I wouldn't mind paying $30 for this game if the game included all content at no extra cost.

The current system, although profitable for ngmoco, is just plain wrong, greedy and unreasonable/unacceptable. Therefore I will not contribute to their profit, and unless they change, I might not even buy another game from them.

Eli
11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Like other TA members have said, I wouldn't mind paying $30 for this game if the game included all content at no extra cost.

Do you at least realize that you're in an extreme minority?

LBG
11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Do you at least realize that you're in an extreme minority?

An extreme minority on the global scale, but on TA scale, I certainly wouldn't say that I am an extreme minority.
Have anything else to say?

edit - there is a poll in a thread here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=31643

At the time of this message, 40% (14 people) voted that they would pay more than $20 for a premium game.

I wouldn't call 40% an extreme minority.

Dark_Messenger
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Its a scam (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=613955&postcount=21) :rolleyes:

Lol, chill out dude. =)

I may have expressed myself a little clumsy but my point was that i admire mgokko! I have no bad intentions i just wanted to point out the awsome concept these guys have come up with. A idea that most likley will generate alot of baloobas.

If you like mbongo as much as it sounds then you should dance of joy right about now becouse this company is going to get paid off. Bigtime.

CDubby94
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
So the reason that Eliminate is in the top grossing is not because is is free, but because it is making a lot of money. It is making money, because they are selling energy packs!

Boy you're insightful.

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I bet you they`ll be the first one to cry if the same game was released for $30 for unlimited online gameplay. The rare few who`d actually pay will also be disappointed as there will be no one online to play with. Even at a reasonable $10 I doubt they`ll find too many players most of the times.

The current system, although profitable for ngmoco, is just plain wrong, greedy and unreasonable/unacceptable. Therefore I will not contribute to their profit, and unless they change, I might not even buy another game from them.

I cant figure what exactly is wrong in playing for free without energy? If ngmoco would have limited you to only a few games in a given time I`d have strongly supported you but you can play for free whenever you want. You can play all day long without shelling out a penny. You just dont earn credits for all the non energized games but how does that really affect the game?

In fact I love this free idea. I`d have easily paid $10 for it but most of the people shelling out that much would be experienced gamers who`d frag the hell out of online FPS n00bs like me :o
Right now I dont really need to worry as there are quite a few people online with all kinds of skill levels to be killed by yours truly :D

I seriously think this free app idea is in the best interest for both the gamers and the game itself. The only thing I could agree with you is that energy could have been a bit cheaper. But that rules out as soon as you realize energy is NOT REQUIRED to play this game ;)

Shinto
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I bet you they`ll be the first one to cry if the same game was released for $30 for unlimited online gameplay. The rare few who`d actually pay will also be disappointed as there will be no one online to play with. Even at a reasonable $10 I doubt they`ll find too many players most of the times.

I cant figure what exactly is wrong in playing for free without energy? If ngmoco would have limited you to only a few games in a given time I`d have strongly supported you but you can play for free whenever you want. You can play all day long without shelling out a penny. You just dont earn credits for all the non energized games but how does that really affect the game?

In fact I love this free idea. I`d have easily paid $10 for it but most of the people shelling out that much would be experienced gamers who`d frag the hell out of online FPS n00bs like me :o
Right now I dont really need to worry as there are quite a few people online with all kinds of skill levels to be killed by yours truly :D

I seriously think this free app idea is in the best interest for both the gamers and the game itself. The only thing I could agree with you is that energy could have been a bit cheaper. But that rules out as soon as you realize energy is NOT REQUIRED to play this game ;)

I think that opinion is very intelligent and for sure if this game cost 10$-30$ there will be no people online only hardcore people obsessed with the game that will need 3 seconds to win me in a match and I will be bored with the game in a week..

I donīt liked that much at first the idea of pay to play but I can play free and people that hate that idea then tell another one better that can be realistic and can get thousands of people playing the game

yourofl10
11-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I've bought one so far. I'm really addicted to this game...

Bok Choy
11-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I bought a $10 pack and two $1 packs all today. Figured it would last me a while and it's good to help support NGMoco.

Gadm
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
What? How am I earning credits every day without paying anything then? Your energy slowly recharges over time, you can advance your character without paying a cent, it will just take a while.

Seriously people, I'm all for raging out against legit causes, but at least understand how the game works before getting angry about it. :)

When you say "it will take a while" and "slowly recharges energy" you make me laugh, you won't pay a cent, I am sure

Will090
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
ngmofos... well said.

Well considering you can play all you want unenergized, that isn't the case. As NOVA has no rpg system its like playing eliminate without energy

d1
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
well yea but you have to be honest, whats the point of playing a game where u cant even get anywhere unless u pay? im down for the dlc, but they really need to reconsider their pricing layout

LBG
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Well considering you can play all you want unenergized, that isn't the case. As NOVA has no rpg system its like playing eliminate without energy

How do you know that Nova has no RPG system?

Brazilian Rider
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
well yea but you have to be honest, whats the point of playing a game where u cant even get anywhere unless u pay? im down for the dlc, but they really need to reconsider their pricing layout

I agree with this.

What is the point in playing with no energy if you won't get anything? I turn Eliminate off as soon as I run out of energy.

So far it looks like my predictions are coming true! Look at all those "No's".

kingkong120
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree with this.

What is the point in playing with no energy if you won't get anything? I turn Eliminate off as soon as I run out of energy.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this as well. As much as I've enjoyed eliminate, I really don't see the point of playing w/o earning anything. As said before, the main point is to get credits, which will help you earn better equipment. But w/o earning credits, you're better off playing bots and not raising your skill level, which ruins the fun of it.

This is entirely my opinion of course, and shared by many people. So for me, I see this as a casual game, not a hardcore game. I would much rather buy a premium price and never pay for any packs, but I'm not complaining. It's a great bargain (for free) and Ngmoco did an exceptional job with this.

ImNoSuperMan
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
What is the point in playing with no energy if you won't get anything?
May be it`s not the game for you but for most of us it`s quite a lot of fun. I`m seriously not getting what this energy obsession is all about. Shouldnt you be playing a game just coz its fun to play? Especially when its free to play.

19,500 games played so far. 250,000 innocent players fragged. Eliminate is already in the top grossing list. Which NO`s are you talking about :rolleyes:

Brazilian Rider
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I think NGmoco might have underestimated the amount of people that only download free games and don't pay another penny. I think that will be the death of Eliminate.

Eli
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Have you people who "don't see the point of playing without earning anything" ever played a death match game before? Or other video games for that matter? How is fragging people in Eliminate when you're unenergized any less fun than playing other death match games (or other video games) where you earn nothing other than the enjoyment you got while playing the game?

DaveMc99
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
where you earn nothing other than the enjoyment you got while playing the game?

I don't understand it but there are people that high score leaderboards matter to them. If they can't get on it they won't play it. Would guess it is the same type of person that cares more about levels than enjoyment of playing the game.

Eli
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't understand it but there are people that high score leaderboards matter to them. If they can't get on it they won't play it. Would guess it is the same type of person that cares more about levels than enjoyment of playing the game.

Yeah I guess I don't get it, maybe I'm just playing video games wrong by playing them for the purpose of having fun.

kingkong120
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Have you people who "don't see the point of playing without earning anything" ever played a death match game before? Or other video games for that matter? How is fragging people in Eliminate when you're unenergized any less fun than playing other death match games (or other video games) where you earn nothing other than the enjoyment you got while playing the game?

I see your point, and I have played death match games before. But people in CoD and others don't get additional things called credits while you play them. Everyone's fair and equal; no one's getting anything more or less. But in this game, the other players are getting credits to power up their equipment, while you're playing for "fun".

Sure you're still blasting away no matter if you get credits or not, but it definitely isn't equal in fun, or else people wouldn't be paying. People who earn the credits are getting an additional thing that you are not. The enjoyment from the game is still there whether or not you are energized. But for people like me, or maybe only me, the motivation for playing just isn't there for me. I can't compare this to Modern Warfare 2. So without the energy packs, I feel no reason to play. But when I am bored, I can get on for to "practice" against other people unenergized. It just doesn't quite match up with being able to earn credits.

Shinto
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
But is possible to get credits/levels without paying, only at a slow pace. A different story would be if the ONLY way to get levels is paying. I will be near level 10 in only a day without any money ingame yet

Nausicaa
11-03-2009, 04:21 PM
It never ends! I truly don't understand. People claim they would be willing to pay $30 for this game if they had access to everything, but won't buy $30 in energy even though that would be enough to acheive a considerably high level and unlock most of the weapons and armor?

Shinto
11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
It never ends! I truly don't understand. People claim they would be willing to pay $30 for this game if they had access to everything, but won't buy $30 in energy even though that would be enough to acheive a considerably high level and unlock most of the weapons and armor?

Yes is a nonsense, people complains about everything. If the game costs 30 then you will see the same amount of complains
That is what is making forums boring for me lot of the time. Itīs as easy as that: enjoy the game if you like or go to another game/thing

Jerutix
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Of course, I don't know this, but I would be willing to bet that when NOVA comes out, energy packs will either drop in price or you will get more for the money.

I really like eliminate. I'm horrible at FPS console games, but I won the first round of eliminate I played online. Making it free is fantastic for people like me who are awful at these sort of games.

And feel free to add me as a Plus+ friend. Jerutix is my user. I'd love to shoot/get shot by you sometime.

Shinto
11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Of course, I don't know this, but I would be willing to bet that when NOVA comes out, energy packs will either drop in price or you will get more for the money.

I really like eliminate. I'm horrible at FPS console games, but I won the first round of eliminate I played online. Making it free is fantastic for people like me who are awful at these sort of games.

And feel free to add me as a Plus+ friend. Jerutix is my user. I'd love to shoot/get shot by you sometime.

I agree, I usually donīt play FPS online because I get tired of losing all the time but here in Eliminate I win sometimes and is fun in that way. Maybe because Eliminate is more casual? I donīt care, I like all good games no matter the label

hockeyfight
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I havent yet and dont plan on it. It will be a big waste of money. $1 for 3 games? Ill pass

loves2spoon
11-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Point is you won't max everything out with $30 so it's not like buying a Full game. Likely you would be spending more than a 360 title to get to the max level.

Eli
11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Point is you won't max everything out with $30 so it's not like buying a Full game. Likely you would be spending more than a 360 title to get to the max level.

I don't know how you keep missing the part where you can get to the maximum level without paying a cent, it just won't happen overnight. If you're impatient you can spend money to upgrade your character sooner. Otherwise, you can unlock absolutely everything inside the game by earning credits every day when your free recharge comes up.

d1
11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know how you keep missing the part where you can get to the maximum level without paying a cent, it just won't happen overnight. If you're impatient you can spend money to upgrade your character sooner. Otherwise, you can unlock absolutely everything inside the game by earning credits every day when your free recharge comes up.
u cant deny how unrealistic that is tho hod..i mean, 3 games on 1 bar..thats maybe..300-600 credits? thats like maybe 1-2 lvs when ur low, but once u get in the 20s thats barely 1. plus thats if ur outrageously good and can get 80+ credits per game..and the more u play, the higher ur skill level gets, so eventually ur playing way higher lv ppl than u with buffed arm + weps vs. u. :/

loves2spoon
11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

There's no point in arguing over this... I'm always right :D

Waiting to get energy might be ok for the casual gamer. Back to the 360 for some real gaming. :cool:

DannyV
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Why is it so tempting to get an energy upgrade??? The game is really addicting!

arn
11-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I think NGmoco might have underestimated the amount of people that only download free games and don't pay another penny. I think that will be the death of Eliminate.

So far your doom and gloom predictions have been pretty wrong. These included:

- They won't hit #1 because of all the bad reviews -> They just hit #1 Free
- Servers will crash if they hit #1 -> Servers are running

I guess the remaining prediction is that they won't be able to make enough money on DLC. Eliminate has been bouncing around the top 100 grossing, so it's doing ok, but won't know this one for sure for a while I guess.

arn

Kiwii
11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Why is it so tempting to get an energy upgrade??? The game is really addicting!
Yes it's tempting to get some Power cells. But I rather not spend money on it. I might buy one energy pack. But that's it.

don_k
11-03-2009, 11:27 PM
u cant deny how unrealistic that is tho hod..i mean, 3 games on 1 bar..thats maybe..300-600 credits? thats like maybe 1-2 lvs when ur low, but once u get in the 20s thats barely 1. plus thats if ur outrageously good and can get 80+ credits per game..and the more u play, the higher ur skill level gets, so eventually ur playing way higher lv ppl than u with buffed arm + weps vs. u. :/

Yeah, that's fairly unrealistic.

Also, I think it's a great idea if ngmoco provides an arena / room only for virgins, those who haven't bought any energy pack. I guess that's where the real heroes fight, those who don't buy their way up ;)

AlanCart
11-03-2009, 11:29 PM
i bought one $10 energy pack, because i feel that this game is worth $10. It is lasting me a while and allowing me to have access to more weapons and upgrades. But once it runs out, i feel that i will be content to wait 4 hours per energized game like everyone else

exactly what i did and plan to do.

Komickid
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Haven't but probably will sometime whenever I have some free time.

K7A7O7S
11-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I have on one occasion bought a .99 cent pack. It went to fast, so I never bought again. Not sayin I wont purchase some energy again, I just havnt yet.

Dark NRG
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM
So this is not an 'all you can eat' type game, like most other games.
Instead it is a 'pay then have a mouthful, then pay again to take another mouthful'. And that just isn't right IMO.

+1
+1
+1

and thats all I'm gonna say, as Hodapp pointed out, I am part of that "minority",and if I say anymore I feel I'll be chastised for "spamming".
But I would gladly pay what I pay for a DS game, since I just know, owning 600+ apps from day one, that I'll dump way more into this than that 30 bones....

Jawa
11-04-2009, 01:55 AM
ngmofos... well said.

I thought Nova was only over bluetooth and wi-fi?

You're right, this is ridiculous amounts of money... that's why I'm playing for free :D

Trotgar
11-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice, I played and lost my connection. That is apparently considered as "leaving" because I lost my energy.

Nice going.

iiAtlas
11-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I don't think that the payment system is all that bad. They do allow you to play for free offline and online with no energy and your energy does still recharge. Again this game is FREE so stop bashing it. It gives everyone the opportunity to play an the more involved players a chance to upgrade. I think its a great game!

ikemike
11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
If the price ever gets down to 10 games (40 power cells) for $1, I might pick up a couple, but otherwise I'll almost never get a pack.

Tmonine
11-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Nice, I played and lost my connection. That is apparently considered as "leaving" because I lost my energy.

Nice going.

Same sort of thing happened to me i was playing then suddenly i connection arror message came up and i couldnt do anything except stand there watching myself get shot...

spvn
11-04-2009, 08:04 AM
For those of you who are like me and are really unhappy with the pricing, might I suggest reviewing it on the iTunes AppStore? The game used to have tons of 5 star reviews. But now as more and more people are realising how ridiculous the pricing is, the number of 1 star reviews on the app store is steadily rising.

The app now holds only a 3.5 star rating on the App Store. If more people go over and help push the ratings down even more, maybe ngmoco will finally hear us.

Ninj73
11-04-2009, 08:04 AM
hello all,

First post on the site, though have been reading since picking up an ipod touch about a month ago.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but is this not one of the first games to use the new in-app purchase feature?
From what I have read it would seem that a lot of other companies/developers are waiting to see what happens with Eliminate with regard to how they will implement it in future. (whose to say that NOVA won't have a similar system?)

There is always going to be problems and complaints with a game being the first to market.
Lets not forget that the game has only been released for a few days, and I would hope that the developers are reading all the feedback regarding pricing etc and will hopefully make some changes (I agree that the pricing is steep at the moment).

I have only purchased 1 energy pack myself to date and was rather disappointed that it only gave me about 3 games. So I have done as many others and played for free whilst waiting for the free recharge.

Having said that, as many users have stated already, this game is free - and the developers have a right to try and recoup the costs of making the game as soon as possible - hence maybe why they started with this pricing structure.

I don't know if they plan to release further DLC content in the future, but I assume at the moment there is a limit to how high you can upgrade, as such when you reach that limit (whether you pay to do it quicker or not) you will still be playing the game for free with no need to buy energy, the same as you can choose to play the game for free now.

All the content in the game is available to you - the only difference is how quick you can get it.

Being just your bulk standard age 30+ gamer, I am enjoying the game (would prefer to have the MC:Sandstorm controls) but it's a fun way to pass some time:)

DannyV
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
So, I caved in and got a $1 energy pack last night. I'm pretty sure that's all i"m going to buy though. I don't like the pricing structure as it is now. Charge me a monthly fee or something, I wouldn't mind paying that.

LMan
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
No offense but I honestly don't get why you guys are al whining about.

Ngmoco produced an awesome polised FPS that people have been dying to see on the iPhone. Plus best of all its FREE!!! There is no limit at all in how many games you can play, the only limitation is how fast you are able to upgrade. And if you are too impatient then go and buy some energy packs!

Honestly Ngmoco is letting anyone play their AWESOME FPS for free I personally think that is awesome and will definitely be be buying some energy packs soon to show my support for an awesome well deserved game!

Just my opinion

x999x
11-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I broke down and bought the 7.99 pack. I was on lunch break and burned through the measly energy I was given after a 6 hour break between my last frag session.

The "stuck-time" in this game as atrocious. I'd MUCH rather pay a monthly premium for online gaming rather than per-game.

kingkong120
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Went ahead and bought the $1 pack just to show some support. But really, it isn't worth it. But it boils down to perspective really. Some people think, hey, that $1 could've been spent on a game like doodle jump and offered endless replayability. Others think, hey, that $1 is like a cheap burger from McDonalds, same amount of time spent using it. The $30 to some could've been spent on console-quality games, but to others, the idea of such a game on the ipod is so amazing, that they feel its worth spending it on.

5jusername
11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
i might buy a $1 or $2 but i really wish it could have been just 1 payment of $7 or $10

Diablohead
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Since the game is free and a great quake like shooter I decided to buy the 59p 20 pack to see how it all worked, how it was applied to the game and how long it lasted (5 games, 4 units per match) and so far that's it.

I did look at the Ģ4.99 pack which is 210 cells which is something around 50 matches online, but I am running on natural recharges right now, I think the packs are a little too expensive.

Maniacfive
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
If I want to pay every time I play I'll go to an arcade!

No you won't, it's a failed business model, they have all closed ;) Consoles with their devilish, pay once, play forever, business models killed them.

As will this die. Its a fad, ngmofos are experimenting, and for a while it'll really work! Choruses of Angels will rain down ambrosia onto the Devs and all will be good.

Then someone will realise they've pissed away $60 and could've bought Modern Warfare 2 for that money, and will instead buy Nova or whatever for their iGaming. Sure a few diehards will continue to spend spend, but at that point. it wont matter.

At least I hope, I hate this pay to play stuff.

Eli
11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Its a fad, ngmofos are experimenting, and for a while it'll really work!

Zynga, Playfish, and Playdom have made $335m with this business model. Zynga is rumored to be a stong IPO candidate next year, Playfish is on the verge of being acquired by EA, and Playdom has a virtual waterfall of venture capital cash coming their way.

To say this business model doesn't work would mean you have a very strange definition on what is and isn't working. ;)

Hitch
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll admit that I bought the $8.00 pack today. I just want to be able to have energy so I can level up my guy, get good weapons, then a tight skin, then I'll be satisfied. I'll have everything I want and I won't have to pay anymore.
Pretty simple- I will only buy this one battery pack so that I can have fun playing for free after it's gone. :D

d1
11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Zynga, Playfish, and Playdom have made $335m with this business model. Zynga is rumored to be a stong IPO candidate next year, Playfish is on the verge of being acquired by EA, and Playdom has a virtual waterfall of venture capital cash coming their way.

To say this business model doesn't work would mean you have a very strange definition on what is and isn't working. ;)
$335m... :eek:

[/jawdrop]

loves2spoon
11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
^wow :eek:

Brazilian Rider
11-04-2009, 06:49 PM
The thing I don't think anyone who says that this is a great business plan understands is that you don't need to buy energy packs to play the game!

That means that while the thirty-some people are buying packs for about $0.99 a piece, the other 161 of us are playing for free. Pretty soon there's going to be a time where the paying players (X) will be in considerably smaller than those who do not pay (Y) meaning that eventually the profit gained from X will not be able to support XY and the servers will crash. I already started experiencing lag today.

You all will argue, saying that this will never happen or something like that, but so far in my predictions I'm 2 for 2 on this game (if you don't remember, I said that Eliminate was going to get bad reviews due to the fact it's free -3.5 stars and falling ATM- and I also said that eventually the lag will start kicking in -I will admit this was sooner than I expected).

Chibi-Zed
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Just wanted to see how many did/didn't.
I put no but I'm about too

x999x
11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
The thing I don't think anyone who says that this is a great business plan understands is that you don't need to buy energy packs to play the game!

That means that while the thirty-some people are buying packs for about $0.99 a piece, the other 161 of us are playing for free. Pretty soon there's going to be a time where the paying players (X) will be in considerably smaller than those who do not pay (Y) meaning that eventually the profit gained from X will not be able to support XY and the servers will crash. I already started experiencing lag today.

You all will argue, saying that this will never happen or something like that, but so far in my predictions I'm 2 for 2 on this game (if you don't remember, I said that Eliminate was going to get bad reviews due to the fact it's free -3.5 stars and falling ATM- and I also said that eventually the lag will start kicking in -I will admit this was sooner than I expected).

You sure the lag wasn't on your end? My games have been smooth as of late.

iMick
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm worried about the servers in the long run, cause people who pay to play now are going to get to lvl 50 and after that it's capped and there is no real reason anymore to play energized. I don't get why people think they will be spending $30+ a month on this. It's capped after some time you don't nees to pay to play anymore. I do think you need to spend $30 ~ $40 to get to that point, but it's not a monthly fee.

Coral
11-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I had around $8.34 on my account when Eliminate came out. I was pretty disappointed I couldn't buy the $9.99 pack to support them, so they really nailed me when they released the $7.99 pack. I have no problem paying for energy but I am using it sparingly. I can get around 6 energized games per day, if I am efficient, for free (so can everyone else). The game inadvertently makes me efficient by being a huge battery hog. I only use one full recharge per day.

I will probably buy another energy pack in the future, but I don't have a problem waiting. The biggest problem is the interface for buying power cells. The slide up menu is very primitive and could be much better. It is also strange how they limit the "store" to three items. It seems like they could do very well if they make every price point from .99 to 19.99 available so people finish off their iTunes credit on power cells.

I guess the price can seem steep, but you are never required to pay anything.

Hmar9333
11-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm about to go and buy some right now!

Ddyracer123
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
i already used my 1 dollar 20 pack. it only lasts to two full recharges. looks like i will have to buy the 7.99 pack soon:(

iiAtlas
11-05-2009, 07:02 AM
No offense but I honestly don't get why you guys are al whining about.

Ngmoco produced an awesome polised FPS that people have been dying to see on the iPhone. Plus best of all its FREE!!! There is no limit at all in how many games you can play, the only limitation is how fast you are able to upgrade. And if you are too impatient then go and buy some energy packs!

Honestly Ngmoco is letting anyone play their AWESOME FPS for free I personally think that is awesome and will definitely be be buying some energy packs soon to show my support for an awesome well deserved game!

Just my opinion

exactly what I was trying to say :D

TheSeldomSeenKid
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Same

Same! I'm so tempted to, just to get that extra level! When I think about it though, once I start, i'll probably get more. Might buy one... just to support the developer... :rolleyes: