PDA

View Full Version : The Labyrinth 2 Level Editor/User Levels Discussion Topic!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
It's obvious we're gonna need one of these.

Discussion of the level editor (http://levelpack.com) for the newly released Labyrinth 2 (http://linktoapp.com/labyrinth+2) by Illusion Labs!

Post user-made levels, both works-in-progress and released. This topic is also to provide tips, suggestions, feedback and friendly criticism...and of course general discussion :)

I'll start, it's a WIP so you can't download it yet, basically just getting to grips with the editor:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2001.png

Actually since I'm here I've already got a couple of suggestion for the devs if they happen to drop by. Two things that would make the editor more user-friendly: 1) the ability to move objects using arrow keys, and 2) a zoom function... I actually opened up the Windows magnifier tool while creating my first level so I could get a clearer look at where pieces joined.

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Second level I'm working on... started out kinda artsy as you can see so I've yet to decide how the gameplay is actually gonna work:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2002.png

Update: my first complete level!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2003.png

Nothing too difficult, just nice to look at :)

ktfright
12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Second level I'm working on... started out kinda artsy as you can see so I've yet to decide how the gameplay is actually gonna work:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2002.png

I think I'm gonna put these on hold and actually play the game a bit, should help with the ol' inspiration.

That looks sick!!! now only if they could make an editor for touchgrind... but back on topic!

sour
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Man, I want to make my own boards, but I just don't think I have the originality and inspiration to do so... Haha, I'll try to make a board and we'll see how it comes out! :p

Gadm
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Great Thread man, I made a Level that is Hard for me, Would like to post screenshots when the 5 level pckg is finished, but right now I am doing homework (and yes, following TA) so I hope to upload the pckg tomorrow after school, will post screenshots here too.

Will090
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Just published a pack called "Will's Levels" The first level in it pwns btw

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 07:28 PM

I can't do it! Surely it can't get any faster than holding the iPhone upside down?

Edit: done it, but the chances of beating your time are slim :p

sour
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
This is what my creativity has to show lmao! This is probably the easiest online board you will do! :p

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=8ddc44fee2&view=att&th=1254d04199a1125b&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

PS. Will, I'm going to download your pack now :)

Lupus
12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I wonder... Has anyone thought of creating a DDA (don't do anything) map like the ones in the flash game N? I find those really cool

idrisguitar
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, i wanted to ask, is labyrinth 2 as hard as the first one?? i love the inclusion of a checkpoint marker, as that was my biggest frustration on the harder levels in lab 1, it would be an achievemnt to get half way through, then one mistake and you were back to square one for the next twenty attempts.

does lab 2 help this frustration, and are the user levels searchable by downloads, or ratings, or difficulty?

hope some people can reply, as i loved the first one, just found it very frustrating, if lab 2 helps this problem then its a must buy for sure.

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I wonder... Has anyone thought of creating a DDA (don't do anything) map like the ones in the flash game N? I find those really cool

Yeah that'd be pretty cool but you'd need to make sure people reset their calibration once they've put the iPhone down, otherwise it might be slightly off center and mess up the flow.

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey guys, i wanted to ask, is labyrinth 2 as hard as the first one?? i love the inclusion of a checkpoint marker, as that was my biggest frustration on the harder levels in lab 1, it would be an achievemnt to get half way through, then one mistake and you were back to square one for the next twenty attempts.

does lab 2 help this frustration, and are the user levels searchable by downloads, or ratings, or difficulty?

hope some people can reply, as i loved the first one, just found it very frustrating, if lab 2 helps this problem then its a must buy for sure.

Some of the levels are quite tough, but when you browse user levels there's an icon telling you the difficulty so it's simple enough to find easier ones if you want.

As for searching, the "New" tab has Newcomers, What's Hot and Random, the "All Levels" tab has Easy, Medium and Hard, the "Top 25" tab has Rated, Downloaded and Played... and then you can also search by specific user ID. So lots of options :)

Will090
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
That looks sick!!! now only if they could make an editor for touchgrind... but back on topic!

Amen

Will090
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Nothing too difficult, just nice to look at :)

Thats Awesome! Nice Job!

idrisguitar
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Some of the levels are quite tough, but when you browse user levels there's an icon telling you the difficulty so it's simple enough to find easier ones if you want.

As for searching, the "New" tab has Newcomers, What's Hot and Random, the "All Levels" tab has Easy, Medium and Hard, the "Top 25" tab has Rated, Downloaded and Played... and then you can also search by specific user ID. So lots of options :)

thanks for the reply, sounds really brilliant. sounds pretty much like the total package, $5 seems cheap for the amount of detail feature sand polish, never mind the possibility for expansion.

hopefully because of the ever growing iphone/ipod touch app craze, and the fact this game isn't as old as the first one, there will be a lot more sales and interested, therefore more user levels, especially now the whole system seems to be so well built and user friendly.

eggzbacon
12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
The games been pulled :(

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
The games been pulled :(

At least it gives me a chance to finish and publish my level pack before the re-release :p

heffdog116
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I really enjoyed "A Dogs Day Out".. Thanks. I will try out some more tomorrow.

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
BTW I hope no one's looking for my levels cause they're not up yet. You need to make 5 minimum before you can publish and I've done two... the editor starts lagging quite badly on my laptop so give me a day to get the rest of the pack done then I'll release it :)

pcmaster
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Wait so there is no in game editor? You have to download it to your computer?

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Wait so there is no in game editor? You have to download it to your computer?

You don't have to download it, it's all online.

Gadm
12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi guys I just uploaded my first package, it is called
-I Love You-Love is Like a Bomb

I rated it hard, please let me know what u think

MidianGTX
12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi guys I just uploaded my first package, it is called
-I Love You-Love is Like a Bomb

I rated it hard, please let me know what u think

I rated it hard with 4 stars. But I haven't actually played any official hard levels so I don't really know if it's closer to official medium or official hard. Definitely some tricky parts in there and some good ideas.

Managed to beat about 3 of your times ;)

pcmaster
12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
You don't have to download it, it's all online.
Ok cool thanks for clearing that up for me.

Anders
12-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi guys!

Thanks for starting a thread and already begun creating levels! I can't wait to try them out (need to find out why the game is not in the App Store first though).

We'll be improving the level editor the next weeks. We will upload new versions all the time when we have improved something. We are looking at usability right now, we want it to be as easy to use as possible, but we are also probably going to add more features.

We will also make tutorial videos to show how you can make some really complex levels. All official levels in the game are done in this editor btw. If you need any help, just click the link on each object in the properties panel where it says "(more info)". You can also pos questions here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Great work so far, they look very well done, kudos!

Anders
12-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Actually since I'm here I've already got a couple of suggestion for the devs if they happen to drop by. Two things that would make the editor more user-friendly: 1) the ability to move objects using arrow keys, and 2) a zoom function... I actually opened up the Windows magnifier tool while creating my first level so I could get a clearer look at where pieces joined.

It's actually already implemented (atleast moving around objects) :P

* To move objects around with pixel perfect precision, use the shortcut keys W, A, S, D.

* You can delete objects with the delete key

* If you are using a Mac with OS X, you can use the built in zoom feature. Simply press and hold CTRL and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.

* And for Windows, the magnifier tool as described by MidianGTX could be useful.

arta
12-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Wow this was completely off my radar but looks great, almost like a pinball game!

Gadm
12-02-2009, 05:58 AM
I rated it hard with 4 stars. But I haven't actually played any official hard levels so I don't really know if it's closer to official medium or official hard. Definitely some tricky parts in there and some good ideas.

Managed to beat about 3 of your times ;)

Yeah I dont know either medium or hard rate, my first level package created.

Anders
12-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Yeah I dont know either medium or hard rate, my first level package created.

The difficulty rating will be adapted automatically as more and more people play it (and rate it).

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm working on my first Level Pack right now. It will be a DDA Level pack (because I enjoyed the N DDA levels too :D) or at least contain some DDA levels (50 % of the first Level done, I'm saving and testing them very often so they work properly). Need to go now, I'll finish my pack in some hours :)

Anders
12-02-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm working on my first Level Pack right now. It will be a DDA Level pack (because I enjoyed the N DDA levels too :D) or at least contain some DDA levels (50 % of the first Level done, I'm saving and testing them very often so they work properly). Need to go now, I'll finish my pack in some hours :)

What's DDA? :)

Bgr
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
What's DDA? :)

Dont do anything

Basically you just watch and it completes what looks like a very difficult level for you and looks nice

Anders
12-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Dont do anything

Basically you just watch and it completes what looks like a very difficult level for you and looks nice

Aha, thanks :)

Masmo
12-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Quick question before I finish up my second level, is there a way to keep adding new levels to a pack once you have 'published' it?

EDIT: Just read the FAQ, nvm.

Anders
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Quick question before I finish up my second level, is there a way to keep adding new levels to a pack once you have 'published' it?

Nope, once it's gone published it's written in stone ;) If you do press 'publish', you will get a warning that says so.

The reason for this simplification is to not have to worry about versions of levels. Having multiple versions of levels would make it quite complicated for multiplayer reasons, for rating and the top lists, storage space on the server, and about 100 other reasons :P

So make sure you are happy with your levels before publishing them.

heffdog116
12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Damn man. I thought I love you was tough as heck.. the last one took me forever

idrisguitar
12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
just realised the 1000+ levels were already in labyrinth 1 (as in no need to download them)

im just wondering do you plan to do the same in later updates to labyrinth 2? as in group the most popular community level packs and put them into the game by default?

the reason i ask is im rarely connected to wifi with my device, although its not a big deal if not, as i imagine the downloads are small (tap tap 3 is nearly impossible to enjoy for me, because my wifi is so terrible it takes 20 mins+ to download one song)

Masmo
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Well guys, I just made my first level pack. It took me a few hours but it was worth it. I had a lot of fun making it and had hell playing it, in fact it was so hard I had to tone all of the levels down a bit :p Hope you guys enjoy it. It's called 'HOLE-Y MOLEY'

The level editor makes this game one of my favourites!

Anders
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
just realised the 1000+ levels were already in labyrinth 1 (as in no need to download them)

im just wondering do you plan to do the same in later updates to labyrinth 2? as in group the most popular community level packs and put them into the game by default?

the reason i ask is im rarely connected to wifi with my device, although its not a big deal if not, as i imagine the downloads are small (tap tap 3 is nearly impossible to enjoy for me, because my wifi is so terrible it takes 20 mins+ to download one song)

We have talked about it, yes.

You can also download a bunch of packs when you do have wifi access, and then play them later. Each pack is around 10 kb so they should be fast to download.

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Anders/anyone else that knows, is it possible to configure the level so that when you "die" the ball returns to normal size when it respawns? Right now it stays small so you can cut out part of my level which I don't want to happen.

Anders
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Anders/anyone else that knows, is it possible to configure the level so that when you "die" the ball returns to normal size when it respawns? Right now it stays small so you can cut out part of my level which I don't want to happen.

No it stays the same size it was before falling into a hole. We actually use it in some levels to make them a bit tricky.

Is this something you would like to be added? If so, it won't work for existing levels, only new levels can utilize this feature (i.e. created after the update).

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
No it stays the same size it was before falling into a hole. We actually use it in some levels to make them a bit tricky.

Is this something you would like to be added? If so, it won't work for existing levels, only new levels can utilize this feature (i.e. created after the update).

Well I noticed that you can set the lasers to turn back on when you fall down a hole, so it would be nice to have the option to reset the ball size too. Maybe just put an option on the resizer like "reset upon death" or something :)

I'll work around it for now!

Anders
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Well I noticed that you can set the lasers to turn back on when you fall down a hole, so it would be nice to have the option to reset the ball size too. Maybe just put an option on the resizer like "reset upon death" or something :)

I'll work around it for now!

Either way, I'm adding it to our never-ending todo-and-nice-things-to-add-list ;) Thanks for pointing it out.

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Just polished off the first three levels of my pack, here are the finished versions:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2005.png

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2004.png

I know you can't play 'em yet, but don't be afraid to drop me some feedback judging by what you see :)

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
How did u make Pictures of them? U got an iPhone? i can't transfer pictures from my phone to my PC, the PC is crashing when I open the iPhone photo folder... there are some files who are named exactly the same (i guess they ARE the same, but sorting out200 of 400 pictures isn't so easy) which lets the copy function malfunction... hmm

Anders, you don't know DDA? Do you know the game N? If not:
http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

There are some custom Levels inside, some of them are marked as "DDA Gametype"... just open these levels, press play and see what DDA means... :D

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Btw, please add the "Size when dead" function to the ball, since its an action not directly connected to a specific resizer... with some more options like "Toggle size", "Big size", "Small Size", maybe even Buttons/lasers as trigger :D

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
How did u make Pictures of them? U got an iPhone? i can't transfer pictures from my phone to my PC, the PC is crashing when I open the iPhone photo folder... there are some files who are named exactly the same (i guess they ARE the same, but sorting out200 of 400 pictures isn't so easy) which lets the copy function malfunction... hmm

Uh... yeah. iPod Touch actually, I just open the folder and drag 'em into My Documents.

Anders
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Just polished off the first three levels of my pack, here are the finished versions:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2005.png

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2004.png

I know you can't play 'em yet, but don't be afraid to drop me some feedback judging by what you see :)

Looking good! I recognize polish when I see it.

Anders
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Anders, you don't know DDA? Do you know the game N? If not:
http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

There are some custom Levels inside, some of them are marked as "DDA Gametype"... just open these levels, press play and see what DDA means... :D

Nope never heard of the N ;) I'll download it right away and give it a go!

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I feel I am the only person in the world who has got problems with copying photos from an iDevice to a PC :(

I'm still working on the first DDA Level... hmm they won't be as spectacular as in N, since the obstacles are much bigger than in N. AND I dont have time to make an automated button-movingwall-laser-bumper-multipletimesacrossthefield-level. The first one will just be obstacles lined up and automaticly bringing the ball to the goal.

Anders
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I feel I am the only person in the world who has got problems with copying photos from an iDevice to a PC :(

I'm still working on the first DDA Level... hmm they won't be as spectacular as in N, since the obstacles are much bigger than in N. AND I dont have time to make an automated button-movingwall-laser-bumper-multipletimesacrossthefield-level. The first one will just be obstacles lined up and automaticly bringing the ball to the goal.

It works great on my Mac, but on my PC I always end up emailing them from the device instead ;)

Looking forward to your DDA levels!

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Looking good! I recognize polish when I see it.

Haha, it's a curse. Everything has to be pixel-perfect or I'm not happy. I actually have Windows Calculator open while I'm editing so I can make sure stuff is equal distance from the middle and so on :)

Anders
12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Haha, it's a curse. Everything has to be pixel-perfect or I'm not happy. I actually have Windows Calculator open while I'm editing so I can make sure stuff is equal distance from the middle and so on :)

Then you're like me ;)

Some useful info: level is 320x480 pixels, so the center is (160, 240). Could be useful, and WASD do come in handy quite often :)

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Well ok, im not a SUCH an extreme perfectionist, but the tiles have to fit into each other, no one-pixel-edges etc.

Emailing may be an option... But I bought a MacMini 2 days ago (really :D) and I need to find a place where to put it right now ... :D

Vingdoloras
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
My first level pack is nearly ready to be published.

It will be called "Ving's Practice Pack #1"... the first one will be the simple DDA, the others will be much more simple levels (which means they were simple to build, but they won't be simple to beat :P)
1.: DDA
2.: Panic Bumpers => this is simple to do
3.: Merry-Go-Rounds => the main part is, as you may guess... RIGHT ITS THE LASER! Touch a laser and your toast
4 and 5 are still in development, and I have to go to bed now (Germany => 21:45) so I'll finish them later.

Gadm
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Damn man. I thought I love you was tough as heck.. the last one took me forever

Hey thx for playing it, so would you rate it hard? I didnt know which difficulty cause I havent played official hard levels, dont know if a should have rated it medium or hard.

Mew2468
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
My new level pack is called "Increasing Difficulty"...beware - the last level took me about 20 minutes to beat :eek:. I changed it to make it slightly easier. (Check under "All Levels" => "Hard"). I forgot that Labyrinth 2 was meant to be played landscape...I designed the levels to be played portrait (even though it doesn't really make a difference).

Please don't cheat on the last level...I realize you can quickly dash through before the gates close. Silly me, forgetting to reduce the gate time.

Edit: Wow Midian! Your levels are so polished :D.

Level 1:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11429&stc=1&d=1259811926

Level 5:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11428&stc=1&d=1259811926

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Please don't cheat on the last level...I realize you can quickly dash through before the gates close. Silly me, forgetting to reduce the gate time.

I just did that, 4.3 seconds. I was just about to mention it then you edited your post :p

Nice levels though, the one with the timed door made me go "wtf?" for a moment, amazing how something so simple can throw you off track.

wootbean
12-02-2009, 10:04 PM

how to do it :confused:

I just did that, 4.3 seconds. I was just about to mention it then you edited your post :p

Nice levels though, the one with the timed door made me go "wtf?" for a moment, amazing how something so simple can throw you off track.

me too. think I was at 4.5 though :)

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
how to do it :confused:

Same method as one of the Enigma levels.

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 10:27 PM
First level from my "Keepin' It Retro" level pack, inspired by GregB's concerns the new game isn't old school enough ;)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DDRMidian/iphone/L2006.png

dumbname
12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
everyone! download my level pack. it's my first and i want to know what you guys think.

Discord
by: dumbname

it might be confusing, but whatever. let me know what you think!

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
everyone! download my level pack. it's my first and i want to know what you guys think.

Discord
by: dumbname

it might be confusing, but whatever. let me know what you think!

Finished it :) Level 4 was the hardest until I realized I could get straight to the end without triggering the door... then I did it in 12.3 seconds. Great for a first pack, I've been impressed by everyone's stuff so far, not found anything boring yet.

dumbname
12-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Finished it :) Level 4 was the hardest until I realized I could get straight to the end without triggering the door... then I did it in 12.3 seconds. Great for a first pack, I've been impressed by everyone's stuff so far, not found anything boring yet.

yeah i like that one, cause the point of that level was that your first life is VERY important (i know you can restart ;))

my favorite was level 3, it was much more complicated but i decided that i didnt want people to get confused.

sour
12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I just finished my first pack... It's pretty easy... I'm not that creative, so don't be too harsh :p But, anyways, search : xSouRx :)

MidianGTX
12-02-2009, 11:57 PM
I just finished my first pack... It's pretty easy... I'm not that creative, so don't be too harsh :p But, anyways, search : xSouRx :)

Done! Rated it easy, but still fun to play. I like some of the designs... kinda tempted to steal the wood layout of level 3 for my next retro level :p

Mew2468
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Just pumped out another level called "Laser Mazes". Look for it in the hard section. And I made it so you can't cheat :p (at least, I think I did).

I put as much polish on it as I could. Hope you enjoy it :D.

sour
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Done! Rated it easy, but still fun to play. I like some of the designs... kinda tempted to steal the wood layout of level 3 for my next retro level :p

Thanks! :) And, sure, go ahead! I'd like some credit though! :p

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Just pumped out another level called "Laser Mazes". Look for it in the hard section. And I made it so you can't cheat :p (at least, I think I did).

I put as much polish on it as I could. Hope you enjoy it :D.

Not sure if I should just start pumping them out or keep with my tactic of taking it slow :p

Mew2468
12-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Not sure if I should just start pumping them out or keep with my tactic of taking it slow :p

Yeah, I didn't want to rush on this one but I really wanted to see it being downloaded :p.

I spent so much time on the centerpiece for levels 1-4 that I forgot to make the final level pixel perfect :|. Oh well.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I didn't want to rush on this one but I really wanted to see it being downloaded :p.

Just finished it, no cheating. I have no idea how you set some of those times though, I beat your level 3 time but the others are about twice as long :rolleyes:

Oh, and level 5 was evil, don't ever do that again :p

Mew2468
12-03-2009, 12:18 AM
I love the fact that you can't rate a level until you complete the pack, so there won't be low rating just because someone can't beat a level.

Just finished it, no cheating. I have no idea how you set some of those times though, I beat your level 3 time but the others are about twice as long :rolleyes:

Yeah, I messed up on Level 3. :p

Oh, and level 5 was evil, don't ever do that again :p

:D

Level 5:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11432&stc=1&d=1259821925

Anders
12-03-2009, 01:07 AM
I love the fact that you can't rate a level until you complete the pack, so there won't be low rating just because someone can't beat a level.

See, it's pretty clever. We wanted to avoid the scenario with actual apps, you know when you delete it and is asked to rate it. Another good thing is that if no-one plays through it, it will never get rated, and hence will not get to the top lists either.

I'm loving your levels, keep it up!

Mew2468
12-03-2009, 01:25 AM

Thanks; always a nice thing to hear from the developer of the game. :D

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 01:28 AM
See, it's pretty clever. We wanted to avoid the scenario with actual apps, you know when you delete it and is asked to rate it. Another good thing is that if no-one plays through it, it will never get rated, and hence will not get to the top lists either.

I don't know if there's any more optimizing you can do on the editor, but it seriously hates me trying to do any kind of intricate detail and starts going super slow... I even got a few graphical glitches. Maybe I just need a better computer :p

...but I suppose I was pushing it kinda hard, I had about 50 6x6 squares because sour asked me to give him credit if I steal his level layout ;)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2484

Mew2468
12-03-2009, 01:53 AM
A suggestion for the editor: add a "make new from level" option or something to that effect. For levels 1-4 or Laser Mazes, I made the centerpiece the exact same every time, and I was thinking it'd be a lot easier if I made a blank level with just that, and there was an option to make a new level from that.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Yeah I was also thinking a "load last save" button would be nice. Sometimes I'm experimenting with something but I'm not sure if it'll work... if it doesn't I have to either click on a different level or close the page and open it again. It's not too much bother but if you're going for useability it would be helpful.

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't know if there's any more optimizing you can do on the editor, but it seriously hates me trying to do any kind of intricate detail and starts going super slow... I even got a few graphical glitches

Oh there is more we can do. The good thing about the editor is that we can update it right away, it doesn't have to be approved by Apple.

What are the graphical glitches? If you can describe it or have the possibility to send me a screen shot I'd be very thankful.

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:10 AM
A suggestion for the editor: add a "make new from level" option or something to that effect. For levels 1-4 or Laser Mazes, I made the centerpiece the exact same every time, and I was thinking it'd be a lot easier if I made a blank level with just that, and there was an option to make a new level from that.

Excellent suggestion! I'll add it to the list.

Masmo
12-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, I've almost finished with my PAC MAN level. Here's a few screens, I'd love to hear some feedback before I publish it. :) It'll be my second level pack. Oh and I sorta borrowed the laser part from Mew's level, thanks!

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Yeah I was also thinking a "load last save" button would be nice. Sometimes I'm experimenting with something but I'm not sure if it'll work... if it doesn't I have to either click on a different level or close the page and open it again. It's not too much bother but if you're going for useability it would be helpful.

Yeah usability is the main focus on the editor right now. We want people to make really great levels, and if there is something we can do to encourage that, we should do it.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Oh there is more we can do. The good thing about the editor is that we can update it right away, it doesn't have to be approved by Apple.

What are the graphical glitches? If you can describe it or have the possibility to send me a screen shot I'd be very thankful.

It only happens when I do something complicated, but I get stuff like this:

(zoomed in with Photoshop to make it easier to see)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2485

Luckily the transparent squares around the edge* were still there so I could see what I was doing.

*don't even try it Tim.

Masmo
12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Yeah usability is the main focus on the editor right now. We want people to make really great levels, and if there is something we can do to encourage that, we should do it.

Instead of a save, why not put in an undo button? Makes it easier so you don't have to keep quicksaving after every move.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Instead of a save, why not put in an undo button? Makes it easier so you don't have to keep quicksaving after every move.

I'd still quicksave anyway... too used to things crashing at the worst moments. Undo would definitely be nice but it could probably only undo a certain number of steps.

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Oh, just like "revert" in Photoshop and other programs. Nice, thanks.

Keep the feedback coming guys, much appreciated!

Masmo
12-03-2009, 02:48 AM
I have a small suggestion. Are we able to do a small write-up about our level pack? It'd be really nice to have so we can talk about our inspiration, blah blah blah and also add 'More to come!'

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:50 AM
I have a small suggestion. Are we able to do a small write-up about our level pack? It'd be really nice to have so we can talk about our inspiration, blah blah blah and also add 'More to come!'

No, not right now, but I'll add it to our list. You have seen the popups in the tutorial, right? Do you think those would be enough?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 02:50 AM

On a similar note I was thinking I'd like to name each of my levels separately as well as the whole pack, but I'm not sure how much effort that would require to be added since they'd need to rearrange the menus a bit.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 02:51 AM
No, not right now, but I'll add it to our list. You have seen the popups in the tutorial, right? Do you think those would be enough?

If those popped up during every level I think they'd get annoying to be honest...

Masmo
12-03-2009, 02:54 AM

What a pity, the popups in the tutorial will help but one can only right a very small sentence at a time otherwise it might clog up the whole screen. I also think people would rather finish the level than read what the developer wants to say about the level when they are actually playing. And about Midian's idea, when we browse through a pack via the 'i' button, why not put a little name if the dev wants to below the screenshot?

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:54 AM
If those popped up during every level I think they'd get annoying to be honest...

Well, it's up to the designer in that case :P But yeah, they would probably be a bit annoying if every single level had one or several.

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:56 AM
What a pity, the popups in the tutorial will help but one can only right a very small sentence at a time otherwise it might clog up the whole screen. I also think people would rather finish the level than read what the developer wants to say about the level when they are actually playing. And about Midian's idea, when we browse through a pack via the 'i' button, why not put a little name if the dev wants to below the screenshot?

I'll add it to the list, the possibility to name each level, that is.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 03:08 AM
I'll add it to the list, the possibility to name each level, that is.

Awesome! I'd better go to bed, I've got a hard day's level editing later on. Keep up the great work Anders, Labyrinth 2 is definitely my new favourite game ;)

Anders
12-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Awesome! I'd better go to bed, I've got a hard day's level editing later on. Keep up the great work Anders, Labyrinth 2 is definitely my new favourite game ;)

Hehe, thank you very much ;)

Champagne01
12-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Just noticed that when you're in the downloading levels section and looking at the levels browser there is no button for 'back' for the 'all levels' and 'top 25' levels categories. The top left of the screen does take you back if you press it, but the button is missing in this case...

Has anyone else noticed this?

Anders
12-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Just noticed that when you're in the downloading levels section and looking at the levels browser there is no button for 'back' for the 'all levels' and 'top 25' levels categories. The top left of the screen does take you back if you press it, but the button is missing in this case...

Has anyone else noticed this?

It's already been fixed and the update will be submitted very soon. Thanks for lettings us know!

idrisguitar
12-03-2009, 05:16 AM
one other quick request regarding the level editor,

i dont know if its already in there because i haven't yet got the game (still addicted to lab 1, completed 100 levels a day ;)) but i was wondering if there is a snap tool in the editor, and if this would be possible to program in if not?

just a question based on a few comments in this topic regarding counting pixels to make sure everything was clean.

Anders
12-03-2009, 05:35 AM
one other quick request regarding the level editor,

i dont know if its already in there because i haven't yet got the game (still addicted to lab 1, completed 100 levels a day ;)) but i was wondering if there is a snap tool in the editor, and if this would be possible to program in if not?

just a question based on a few comments in this topic regarding counting pixels to make sure everything was clean.

Nope, but it's already on the nice-to-have list.

Vingdoloras
12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Is it possible to make those Speech-Bubbles or are they a "Only-to-help-explaining-things-in-the-tutorial" thing? :D

One thing that disturbed me... PLEASE make it impossible to save a Level which does only contain the goal and the ball... I already saw 2 packs containing 1 or 2 "Levels" each, and then only some empty levels... maybe lower the restriction of minimum levels per pack to 2 or 3?

Teleporters would be an epic obstacle, as said already. One called "Teleporter" and one called "Teleport target" or something like that. It would help to make some pretty nice levels (in some other games I've done very messy teleporter levels, so my teleporter levels for Labyrinth might be hard to beat :D A Teleporter DDA would be nice, too :D)

Vingdoloras
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Hmm, I am only able to place 4 Lasers?

IKnowHow2Fly
12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I went to take a look at the editor, and it says you need a password and name? Once you purchase the app do you make that account?

idrisguitar
12-03-2009, 10:31 AM
io would imagine that is the case yes.

and on the empty levels to finish up a pack problem, i can see this being natural phased out as more level packs are made, as the best one will easily float to the top with the ratings system, and then the unfinished packs will probablylay right at the bottom.

Vingdoloras
12-03-2009, 10:31 AM
If you purchase the App, there is an Option "Create". Click at it and it will show a kind of private map browser which shows the levelpacks you already have created (or it shows nothing if you havent got any levelpacks). There it also tells you your ID and Pin Code. You can't make levels before buying the game, but hey, the game is worth the money

Vingdoloras
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
io would imagine that is the case yes.

and on the empty levels to finish up a pack problem, i can see this being natural phased out as more level packs are made, as the best one will easily float to the top with the ratings system, and then the unfinished packs will probablylay right at the bottom.

Well, some of the levels may be very good (maybe even as polished as Midian's levels), but the developer had not enough time or just didn't want to make more levels. Decreasing the minimum levels per pack to 3 or 2 would help.

EDIT:
Btw, i deleted the last two levels of my levelpack again, so there's only the DDA level. The others were tooo random (yesterday evening i was tired and thought like "ah quick finish the levels and then submit" but anyway I was too slow, so now I will take enough time to make all levels look good)

I completed the second level a few seconds ago, to me it's VERY easy, but I guess if you don't know HOW to do it, you will need one or two minutes thinking about it (It's a simple laser maze, where you HAVE to go through certain lasers to reach the goal :D)

Yffum
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
This is my first level, but I think it's pretty good. It's not out yet though so don't go looking for it.

Vingdoloras
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Just published the first one: "Ving's Weird Pack #1". Tell me what you think about it :D

Description:
Level 1: It's a DDA Level (Don't do anything => just place the phone on a table and wait :D). It's a linear level, I'll make some wilder and more impressive DDAs later

Level 2: Laser Riddle. See what the different lasers do and then find your way to the goal.

Level 3: Annoy-Bump. Get to the exit :D

Level 4: Timing is everything.

Level 5: I started it as an old school level, but I felt the need to add some laser and button stuff :D

iSwiss
12-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Do i need Wi-Fi to transfer the levels on the compiter to my phone(leveleditor) or is 3G connection enough?

Anders
12-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Is it possible to make those Speech-Bubbles or are they a "Only-to-help-explaining-things-in-the-tutorial" thing? :D

One thing that disturbed me... PLEASE make it impossible to save a Level which does only contain the goal and the ball... I already saw 2 packs containing 1 or 2 "Levels" each, and then only some empty levels... maybe lower the restriction of minimum levels per pack to 2 or 3?

Teleporters would be an epic obstacle, as said already. One called "Teleporter" and one called "Teleport target" or something like that. It would help to make some pretty nice levels (in some other games I've done very messy teleporter levels, so my teleporter levels for Labyrinth might be hard to beat :D A Teleporter DDA would be nice, too :D)

The popups you are referring to are only us to use in the tutorials. It would annoy the hell out of you if everyone were allowed to use them :P

I don't think there is no point in stopping people from publishing empty levels. What stops them from just dragging random stuff onto the level? They will however get a very low rating pretty fast, so it will fall off all the charts and be hard to find. Natural selection.

Yup teleporters have been discussed (among many other suggestions), so we'll see which objects we add.

Anders
12-03-2009, 11:39 AM

There seems to be a problem, we'll look into it. If I start from an empty level I can place ten lasers, but if I start to remove some I can only have four. Weird, we'll look into it.

IKnowHow2Fly
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
If you purchase the App, there is an Option "Create". Click at it and it will show a kind of private map browser which shows the levelpacks you already have created (or it shows nothing if you havent got any levelpacks). There it also tells you your ID and Pin Code. You can't make levels before buying the game, but hey, the game is worth the money

Ok, thanks.

diffusion8r
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Labyrinth 2, Edge or OMG Pirates?

Anders
12-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Do i need Wi-Fi to transfer the levels on the compiter to my phone(leveleditor) or is 3G connection enough?

Any kind of internet connection will do (gprs/edge/3G/wifi). The level packs are usually small, often less than 10 kb.

starmonkey101
12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Labyrinth 2, Edge or OMG Pirates?

Lab2 fo sho! Pirates looks one dimentional and edgy is BORING

Aspargusman
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
is there no plan for having an in game level editor?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Played every pack mentioned in this topic so far, good stuff. Keep it coming :)

I totally failed at waking up at a reasonable hour... back to the editor.

Anders
12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
is there no plan for having an in game level editor?

No, not right now, sorry. The web editor has taken about three months to do, and I would guess it would take even longer to do an in-game editor.

Right now we want to get the most bang for the buck, i.e. to do as much as possible with as little time as possible, so we are looking at adding new obstacles and new themes.

ultimo
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
No, not right now, sorry. The web editor has taken about three months to do, and I would guess it would take even longer to do an in-game editor.

Right now we want to get the most bang for the buck, i.e. to do as much as possible with as little time as possible, so we are looking at adding new obstacles and new themes.
I am planning to buy my copy, but I wantd to kno if I can make levels for it before buying the title? Does not seem so to me... But I want to :o

Help Anders :confused:

EDIT:
Just been through ur faq (http://www.labyrinth2.com/faq.html)
& why just 1k levels?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I am planning to buy my copy, but I wantd to kno if I can make levels for it before buying the title? Does not seem so to me... But I want to :o

Help Anders :confused:

EDIT:
Just been through ur faq (http://www.labyrinth2.com/faq.html)
& why just 1k levels?

You have to buy the game before you can make levels, which is a good idea because if you make them before playing you'll probably just do loads of stuff that's been done already.

...and it's probably just 1000 levels due to server space, but you can delete levels.

IKnowHow2Fly
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Just picked this up, very fun :)
Going to try and make some levels based off of sports.
Wish me luck!

Yffum
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
How do you use the ghost ball?

Edit: And how do you search for packs by name?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
How do you use the ghost ball?

Turn it on, finish a level then re-play it.

ultimo
12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
and it's probably just 1000 levels due to server space, but you can delete levels.
I'd like to make somethin for myself before I buy the game
I think it is only 1k levels so tht we buy L3 :mad: :eek:
We all kno that their games NEVER :eek: go on a sale either... yeah.. apart from L1 :o

If there was no Limitation on the number, we could create anything.... so wht if We (IL & the creator) think alike & make somethin similar? It really would not have mattered then, would it ? :cool:

Yffum
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
We all kno that their games NEVER :eek: go on a sale either... yeah.. apart from L1 :o

If there was no Limitation on the number, we could create anything.... so wht if We (IL & the creator) think alike & make somethin similar? It really would not have mattered then, would it ? :cool:
Your wrong, you can delete levels so it is unlimited.

idrisguitar
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
exactly, plus this game is more than worth the $5 considering the community tools.

IL have a good strategy, make their games brilliant and uber polished so there is never need for a sale, people buy the games anyway because they are worth every penny.

dumbname
12-03-2009, 02:21 PM

Keep up with the polish please. Those are the level packs I like and the only ones I 5 star.

I would like the pop up idea a lot. Perhaps you could limit the amount used per level pack?

Obstacles:
Teleport
Object which small ball can NOT pass but big one can.

Could you also add a free style wall drawer thing. Like in Line Rider where you can draw straight lines, but also have the option to draw curved ones.

wootbean
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Is the only way you can search for levels by ID? whatever that is
I'm looking for MidianGTX's levels :D but can't find them :(

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM

It says you can -make- 1000, it doesn't mention how many you can download.

I haven't published any yet :)

You need 5 levels in a pack to publish and I'm in the middle of two packs, one has 3 levels completed and one has 1.5 levels completed.

Work in progress:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2496

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:35 PM

The reason for the 1000 level limit is to save server space. It's just a number and we can change it with a flick of a button. We don't know how popular the game will get, so we figured 1000 was a good number to start out with. Maybe it turns out we can increase it to 100000 instead.

wootbean
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Gadm, if you're here somewhere..how do you beat this one :confused:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6626/photohik.jpg

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Yup, either browse or search by ID. If you have one of his levels already, just click the ID button on a pack to see all the levels he's made.

Anders
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM

You need 5 levels in a pack to publish and I'm in the middle of two packs, one has 3 levels completed and one has 1.5 levels completed.

Work in progress:

Gotta love the polish! Keep it up! You're an inspiration to others.

sour
12-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Work in progress:

Haha, I love it! :p I can't wait to play it! Lmao

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Gotta love the polish! Keep it up! You're an inspiration to others.

Thanks dude, actually I meant to ask you something...

If it's not much to ask could you have a look at, and possibly alter the corner object on the editor a bit? If you look at these two pictures you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2496 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2497

As you can see the corner on the editor is clearly overlapping the holes, but on the game there's a few pixels between them. Both you and I keep mentioning the polish we love so much, so it makes it difficult for me to get it looking perfect, I had to keep moving the holes then checking it on my iPod. I don't know if it happens all the time or if it just messed up for me but if there's anything you can do I'd be grateful :)

Mew2468
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Loving your levels Midian - keep up the polish :D.

I just noticed that on level 4 of my Laser Mazes pack, the button doesn't reopen the gate. :rolleyes:

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Loving your levels Midian - keep up the polish :D.

I just noticed that on level 4 of my Laser Mazes pack, the button doesn't reopen the gate. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I meant to mention that too... good thing restarting is quick and easy.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I get the feeling I'm gonna be receiving some hate mail for the bit I've just done... but I refuse to put a checkpoint in because there IS a simpler way to get past if you can figure it out.

dumbname
12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I get the feeling I'm gonna be receiving some hate mail for the bit I've just done... but I refuse to put a checkpoint in because there IS a simpler way to get past if you can figure it out.

haha YES! i love levels where there is more to it than you think.

Like a hard level that could take a minute, but if you play it smart you can finish it in 10 sec.

Your polish is crazy, i'll definitely be downloading and adding your level packs to my fav list--i just know it!

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Quick summary of everything I've done so far!

"Testing The Water" pack:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2482&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2480&albumid=460&dl=1259825133&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2481&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1

"Keepin' It Retro" pack:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2483&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2498&albumid=460&dl=1259891521&thumb=1

Interesting note: Keepin' It Retro level 2 looks a bit like an elephant when rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise.

wootbean
12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
what's your level IDs? :)

also I downloaded another level pack called "testing the water" but the levels are different from yours...

dumbname
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM

also I downloaded another level pack called "testing the water" but the levels are different from yours...

hey check out mine and i'll check out yours! whats your ID thing.

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Assuming it's the same as the one I use to access the editor: AEW62U78

...but you won't find anything yet.

sour
12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Quick summary of everything I've done so far!

"Testing The Water" pack:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2482&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2480&albumid=460&dl=1259825133&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2481&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1

"Keepin' It Retro" pack:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2483&albumid=460&dl=1259825193&thumb=1 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2498&albumid=460&dl=1259891521&thumb=1

Interesting note: Keepin' It Retro level 2 looks a bit like an elephant when rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise.

I'm loving how everything is turning out! Keep up the good work! ;)

dumbname
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
whats the center of the map again?

wootbean
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
hey check out mine and i'll check out yours! whats your ID thing.

lol I haven't made any levels yet

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
whats the center of the map again?

160 horizontally, 240 vertically. Then obviously a quarter each way is 80 and 120.

...and 40, 60 for eighths :p

dumbname
12-03-2009, 09:11 PM
160 horizontally, 240 vertically. Then obviously a quarter each way is 80 and 120.

...and 40, 60 for eighths :p

of course ;), thanks.

okay i have my first "polished" level. how can i show you a screenshot?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
of course ;), thanks.

Varies slightly depending on if you're using a PC or a Mac, but you screenshot the level (Home + Power button), then connect to your computer and browse to the iPhone/iPod folder, drag and drop the screenshot then upload it somewhere (here's a good place ;)) and... that's about it. Get the URL and stick it in yer post.

dumbname
12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=a8e28bc167&view=att&th=12557c48f369514a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

check it out! it's actually pretty fun, i wish i had four other levels so you could play.

Paulindahouse
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I have 4 levels out right now, and I'm working on a forth one with my username of Paulindahouse (i mean by creator name) My ID is A8EXEG2B for if anybody wants to search, play, and rate...hey...that can be a new 'Labyrinth 2 saying' like for YouTube it's Comment, Rate, and Subscribe, well Labyrinth 2 can be Search, Play, and Rate. Or in any other different order if suggested...

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=a8e28bc167&view=att&th=12557c48f369514a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

check it out! it's actually pretty fun, i wish i had four other levels so you could play.

I can't see the image... upload it here, click your username at the top right where it says "Welcome, dumbname" and on the right side of the screen should be an option to make a photo album.

...and uh, Paul? I can read pretty much all font sizes, this isn't the MMO codes forum ;)

dumbname
12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?pictureid=2501&albumid=464&dl=1259901393&thumb=1

this work?

MidianGTX
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Yup, but this is clearer:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=464&pictureid=2501

dumbname
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Lol damn. How'd you do that.

This level pack i'm gonna spend a lot more time on. I was inspired by you :D

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Lol damn. How'd you do that.

This level pack i'm gonna spend a lot more time on. I was inspired by you :D

I went to your photo album and clicked on the thumbnail ;)

Good luck with the next pack! I might actually try and finish one of mine tomorrow if I wake up early enough.

ktfright
12-04-2009, 12:55 AM
needs money!:mad:

Vingdoloras
12-04-2009, 01:20 AM
There seems to be a problem, we'll look into it. If I start from an empty level I can place ten lasers, but if I start to remove some I can only have four. Weird, we'll look into it.

right after my post I restarted the editor, this fixed the problem.

Masmo
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
I published yet another pack for fun, it's called 'Up A Notch', last level is pretty challenging. Try it out if you want :)

IphoneToucher
12-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Pack name: Sean's pack #1
Editor: Sean

Anders
12-04-2009, 03:25 AM

If it's not much to ask could you have a look at, and possibly alter the corner object on the editor a bit? If you look at these two pictures you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2496 http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2497

As you can see the corner on the editor is clearly overlapping the holes, but on the game there's a few pixels between them. Both you and I keep mentioning the polish we love so much, so it makes it difficult for me to get it looking perfect, I had to keep moving the holes then checking it on my iPod. I don't know if it happens all the time or if it just messed up for me but if there's anything you can do I'd be grateful :)

Aha, that's a glitch. It could be that the perspective is making it look like that too, but since you're tilting the device it shouldn't look at that.

We'll look into it!

Anders
12-04-2009, 04:04 AM
of course ;), thanks.

Just to let you guys know, we are working on several solutions on how to show screen shots online to your friends, people here at TA etc.

Anders
12-04-2009, 09:08 AM

It's fixed now, and is live.

Anders
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM

This is also fixed now.

Anders
12-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Uploading update 1.0.1 right now. What's new:

* Better feedback when beating designer time
* Info about current level in pause mode
* Fixed stability issues in multiplayer
* Fixed beat designer time award bug
* Other minor bug fixes

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 10:41 AM
It's fixed now, and is live.

Perfect! Thanks :)

Yffum
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
You're one of the most active and responsive dev I have ever seen. I was wondering if you (or anybody) could explain what the "After delay (s):" setting means. Is that a pause between the "When:" and the "Action:"? And is it in seconds?I tried using it according to what I just said, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Anders
12-04-2009, 12:20 PM
You're one of the most active and responsive dev I have ever seen. I was wondering if you (or anybody) could explain what the "After delay (s):" setting means. Is that a pause between the "When:" and the "Action:"? And is it in seconds?I tried using it according to what I just said, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Well I like to talk to you guys :)

Yup, it's exactly like you described it.

For instance, if you connect a button to a door, and you set the delay to 10 seconds, the door will open 10 seconds after you press the button.

Could you describe a scenario that doesn't work?

Yffum
12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Well I like to talk to you guys :)

Yup, it's exactly like you described it.

For instance, if you connect a button to a door, and you set the delay to 10 seconds, the door will open 10 seconds after you press the button.

Could you describe a scenario that doesn't work?
Oh, nevermind. It works now. Maybe, the level wasn't updated yet, or I died before the pause was over. Thanks for clarifying though.

Edit: Oh, I was also wondering if it was possible to make some settings for the duplicator. I'd like to edit f it comes back on again or not and how long it takes.

Anders
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh, nevermind. It works now. Maybe, the level wasn't updated yet, or I died before the pause was over. Thanks for clarifying though.

Edit: Oh, I was also wondering if it was possible to make some settings for the duplicator. I'd like to edit f it comes back on again or not and how long it takes.

Glad to hear you got it to work! We'll see what we can do :)

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I feel like I should be starting another level right now... but I know if I start I won't stop for ages.

Anders
12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I feel like I should be starting another level right now... but I know if I start I won't stop for ages.

Did you finish the two you were working on?

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Did you finish the two you were working on?

The packs? No, I've only finished the 5 levels I posted last night. I'm starting on retro 3 now :)

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I think I've found another bug. Sometimes the sound of the ball hitting the wood disappears. At first I actually thought there was no sound effect for it at all, and I wondered why you'd remove it when you had it in the first game... but now I notice you do have the sound, it just seems to turn off randomly.

All of the other sounds still work, just that one stops.

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2510

I don't have a clue where the holes are gonna go.

Yffum
12-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Here's the level that's implementing delays. You have to survive 7 seconds in chaos before the door opens. The packs's called "Military Style"

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=2511

By the way, MidianGTX, your levels are very polished.

Anders
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I think I've found another bug. Sometimes the sound of the ball hitting the wood disappears. At first I actually thought there was no sound effect for it at all, and I wondered why you'd remove it when you had it in the first game... but now I notice you do have the sound, it just seems to turn off randomly.

All of the other sounds still work, just that one stops.

Which level? All?

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Which level? All?

I guess so, it's hard to tell. For ages playing the official packs I thought there was no sound for the wood, maybe there was some but I only noticed when it stopped. Then I noticed when testing my own level that there was supposed to be sound. It was easier to notice since my retro levels don't include anything else that makes a noise.

I can't get it to happen all the time, but at a guess I'd say it happens at least 1 in every 10 times I test my level.

Anders
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I guess so, it's hard to tell. For ages playing the official packs I thought there was no sound for the wood, maybe there was some but I only noticed when it stopped. Then I noticed when testing my own level that there was supposed to be sound. It was easier to notice since my retro levels don't include anything else that makes a noise.

I can't get it to happen all the time, but at a guess I'd say it happens at least 1 in every 10 times I test my level.

Just to make sure I understand, you mean the sound when the ball hits the wall?

If you make an empty level with nothing in it, and roll into a wall, there is no sound at all?

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Just to make sure I understand, you mean the sound when the ball hits the wall?

If you make an empty level with nothing in it, and roll into a wall, there is no sound at all?

Yes that's what I mean, but it doesn't happen right away. First the sound is there, then for no reason it just stops while I'm playing the level.

Anders
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes that's what I mean, but it doesn't happen right away. First the sound is there, then for no reason it just stops while I'm playing the level.

Ok, thanks. I'll investigate it further, I haven't noticed it myself but I'll try to reproduce it. Anyone else noticed it?

sk8erdude50
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I added a level pack called "the cooliest levels evar!!!"
There are only 2 levels as of now but they are quality levels in my opinion and I would be glad to receive suggestion and feedback. Sorry i couldnt post a screen shot.

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I added a level pack called "the cooliest levels evar!!!"
There are only 2 levels as of now but they are quality levels in my opinion and I would be glad to receive suggestion and feedback. Sorry i couldnt post a screen shot.

If there are only two levels you can't publish them for us to play, so the only way we could give you feedback would be looking at screenshots.

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Easier than the first two, I figure lesser skilled players might appreciate a break in the middle.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2513

Vingdoloras
12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I didn't notice any sound bugs, but I will listen to the sounds more carefully from now on so I may notice when they stop.

But there's another thing that annoyed me a bit. After playing a while, my iPhone (it's 3GS) slows down, so when I tilt the device, it sometimes even happenes that it takes 1 or more seconds to react, which is deadly in most levels. I can't remember if I restarted the phone lately, I may jut do so now. Restarting the App helped for half an hour or so, and then it happened again (or is half an hour simply too much of Labyrinth 2? :D this cannot be :P)

metron
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi, I made a level pack called 'The Great Escape'.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/868972/IMG_0065.PNGhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/868972/IMG_0066.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/868972/IMG_0067.PNG

MidianGTX how do you capture in game screenshots of your levels?

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 05:10 PM

MidianGTX how do you capture in game screenshots of your levels?

It's a feature of the iPhone/iPod Touch. Hold the home button and press the power button. The screen should flash white so you know it's worked. Then connect to PC and so on etc..

MicroByte
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone. I had an idea for creating a "retro" pack so just published one called 8 Bit Memories.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think. Offhand, it's not overly complex or difficult, I just thought it would be fun to have a theme for my pack!

Enjoy! :D

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Nice! Just finished it, some sweet ideas there. I liked the one with the path of buttons and the cannons. Also the idea of blocks pushing you into holes is one I haven't tried yet. Inspiring stuff.

Hi everyone. I had an idea for creating a "retro" pack so just published one called 8 Bit Memories.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think. Offhand, it's not overly complex or difficult, I just thought it would be fun to have a theme for my pack!

Enjoy! :D

It's definitely a great idea to have a theme. The only problem with creative level design like that is that once you've done your design you've then got to make the gameplay work around it... which isn't easy to do and the main reason why my levels are only medium difficulty. Love the 8-bit theme though.

dumbname
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Just to let you guys know, we are working on several solutions on how to show screen shots online to your friends, people here at TA etc.

sahweet!!

i know, thats why i don't want to even bother fixing some minor things on the 2 levels i have now. I know i'll just want to keep going and going...

Here's the level that's implementing delays. You have to survive 7 seconds in chaos before the door opens. The packs's called "Military Style"

I really like that idea! is the pack complete?

Easier than the first two, I figure lesser skilled players might appreciate a break in the middle.

you could just move that level to first, so your level pack gets harder each level. (just saying if you didn't know you could do that, although i doubt it)

wootbean
12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
i still dunno how to search for all these :S

MicroByte
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice! Just finished it, some sweet ideas there. I liked the one with the path of buttons and the cannons. Also the idea of blocks pushing you into holes is one I haven't tried yet. Inspiring stuff.

It's definitely a great idea to have a theme. The only problem with creative level design like that is that once you've done your design you've then got to make the gameplay work around it... which isn't easy to do and the main reason why my levels are only medium difficulty. Love the 8-bit theme though.

Thanks! As mentioned, this was just a quick level pack thrown together to see if I could do something that composed of a theme. I'm starting it's sequel (8-bit memories 2) and am going to take more time to try to make it more creative while still using the "old school", 8-bit theme.

BTW - I actually liked the pong level best, it was fun to watch the level and my son had a blast watching me get denied by the other paddle as I was trying to score.

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Just noticed someone's already done a pack called "Testing the Water", I'm guessing it's just coincidence but if it's stolen I'll sue so hard Tim Langdell will beg me to represent his next case. Anyway that means I need a new name so if anyone's got a good idea let me know :)

Anders, could you let me know the names/IDs of the dev team so I can find their packs? Thanks ;)

wootbean
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Just noticed someone's already done a pack called "Testing the Water", I'm guessing it's just coincidence but if it's stolen I'll sue so hard Tim Langdell will beg me to represent his next case. Anyway that means I need a new name so if anyone's got a good idea let me know :)

Anders, could you let me know the names/IDs of the dev team so I can find their packs? Thanks ;)

I've mentioned that earlier here in the thread ;) must've gotten buried

but the "Testing the water" that's not yours was first :( I downloaded it

MidianGTX
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah I know it was first 'cause mine's not even finished... I'm just wondering if it's someone from TA that saw my post where I mentioned the name.

Will090
12-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I just started taking some of my favorite levels from the original and I am bringing them up to date. I'm adding checkpoints, doors, etc. Its looking pretty cool so far.

wootbean
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Will090 I never really figured out how to do the first level in your level pack..somehow I slipped through the wall though

Will090
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Will090 I never really figured out how to do the first level in your level pack..somehow I slipped through the wall though

You basically gotta tilt the phone straight up and take a perfect angle. It took me forever to get the timing just right :D

TouchChatterbox
12-04-2009, 11:50 PM
How about:

- the ability to put in our own textures & backgrounds
- the ability to fully make our own shapes to punch out sections of the level

I want to do level packs in a certain theme that's all.

Anders
12-05-2009, 03:45 AM

Sure.

Christoffer (3D artist): AKYD4LMA
Carl (programmer): A2FWNJ69
Anders (that's me, programmer): AFJ2XNSA
Marcus (programmer): AQEZFH88

I'll post the others once I get hold of them (it's Saturday today):
Andreas (programmer)
Jim (programmer)
Mirabelle (designer)

Anders
12-05-2009, 03:49 AM
How about:

- the ability to put in our own textures & backgrounds
- the ability to fully make our own shapes to punch out sections of the level

I want to do level packs in a certain theme that's all.

The Little Big Planet guys had so much problems with people uploading copyrighted images (like pics of Mario, Donald Duck etc) and getting in trouble with all sorts of companies and lawyers, that we didn't want to risk that. Another problem is that the sounds wouldn't match. We will be adding more themes in coming updates though, we are already working on a new one.

It would require much work and I'm not sure how much it would add to the game to be honest. I think we are better off spending time on adding new features, but I'll add it to the list, thanks.

Anders
12-05-2009, 03:51 AM
I didn't notice any sound bugs, but I will listen to the sounds more carefully from now on so I may notice when they stop.

But there's another thing that annoyed me a bit. After playing a while, my iPhone (it's 3GS) slows down, so when I tilt the device, it sometimes even happenes that it takes 1 or more seconds to react, which is deadly in most levels. I can't remember if I restarted the phone lately, I may jut do so now. Restarting the App helped for half an hour or so, and then it happened again (or is half an hour simply too much of Labyrinth 2? :D this cannot be :P)

We'll look into it! Thanks!

TheSeldomSeenKid
12-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Heyeveryone!
Wow this is turning out to be one of the beat games ever!
Anyway I'm stuck on Enigma, level 4. Can anybody tell me how to do it please?
Thanks,
Ell

Anders
12-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Heyeveryone!
Wow this is turning out to be one of the beat games ever!
Anyway I'm stuck on Enigma, level 4. Can anybody tell me how to do it please?
Thanks,
Ell

Sounds like it's time to put that on the FAQ :)

Try the second red button from the left, it doesn't do anything.

From now on in this puzzle pack, don't rely on the color of the buttons anymore (i.e. green = safe, red = not safe).

Miti96
12-05-2009, 04:51 AM
How do you actually for example open a door when you fall in a hole?

Yffum
12-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm still confused about how to find levels. Okay, lets say I want to play 8 Bit Memories by MicroByte, How do I found the pack? There's no search place for the name or creator.

I also have this glitch with the level creator. The delete button (on my keyboard) doesn't work. Sometimes it just doesn't do anything, sometimes it makes a message come up asking if I want to close this page. If that happens and I click cancel then whenever I place or select an object it immediately disappears. This continues till I log out. Another thing that can happen is the window just closes. Please help.

And about my levels, I think dumbname asked about them. They're not finished, I'm polishing off the 3rd one. I'll post all 3 that I've made on this post in a sec.

Edit: Here are the pics! They're not necessarily in that order though. And for the one missing a ball, that's because it's the very beginning of the level and the ball's supposed to be on top of the slingshot (so you get a good push at the beginning).

Double Edit: Oh sorry, I didn't realize 2 levels were missing balls. The previous explanation was for the one without the red light. The one with the red light is supposed to be in the bottom left corner.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=2514http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=2515http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=466&pictureid=2511

Anders
12-05-2009, 04:57 AM
How do you actually for example open a door when you fall in a hole?

Select the door, and then set "Open" and "Restart". The door will then open when the ball is respawned (i.e. falls into a hole or is shot by the cannon).

Anders
12-05-2009, 05:02 AM
I'm still confused about how to find levels. Okay, lets say I want to play 8 Bit Memories by MicroByte, How do I found the pack? There's no search place for the name or creator.

I also have this glitch with the level creator. The delete button (on my keyboard) doesn't work. Sometimes it just doesn't do anything, sometimes it makes a message come up asking if I want to close this page. If that happens and I click cancel then whenever I place or select an object it immediately disappears. This continues till I log out. Another thing that can happen is the window just closes. Please help.

And about my levels, I think dumbname asked about them. They're not finished, I'm polishing off the 3rd one. I'll post all 3 that I've made on this post in a sec.

You can only search by ID (it's a limitation in Google's servers, their database doesn't support fuzzy searches), so it's better if you guys post the ID as well as the level pack name.

Are you pressing delete or backspace? In some browsers backspace is the same as going to the previous webpage. Also make sure you have clicked on an object so that is is currently selected.

TheSeldomSeenKid
12-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Sounds like it's time to put that on the FAQ :)

Try the second red button from the left, it doesn't do anything.

From now on in this puzzle pack, don't rely on the color of the buttons anymore (i.e. green = safe, red = not safe).

Thankyou so, so, much! :D

Yffum
12-05-2009, 05:13 AM
I understand the searching now, but there's still a problem with the delete. The object is selected and I am clicking the delete button (I have a mac so there is no backspace). The weird thing is, it's different every time and I remember when I originally started using the editor I think the shortcut worked fine...

I just tried it again and nothing happened. Then I tried it once more and I realized that if you scroll down so the item isn't on your screen it'll work, but the next time I click delete it closes the window.

Anders
12-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I understand the searching now, but there's still a problem with the delete. The object is selected and I am clicking the delete button (I have a mac so there is no backspace). The weird thing is, it's different every time and I remember when I originally started using the editor I think the shortcut worked fine...

I just tried it again and nothing happened. Then I tried it once more and I realized that if you scroll down so the item isn't on your screen it'll work, but the next time I click delete it closes the window.

Thanks a lot! Which browser are you using btw? We'll look into it on Monday.

If you don't have a delete key and if you're on a laptop you can try fn+backspace and see if that works better.

Yffum
12-05-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm using Safari and I tried holding fn while pressing it, but no luck. Thanks for paying so much attention to our problems.

Anders
12-05-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm using Safari and I tried holding fn while pressing it, but no luck. Thanks for paying so much attention to our problems.

Thanks! We'll look into it and try to have a fix available shortly. Hey no problem, a happy customer is a returning customer :)

TheSeldomSeenKid
12-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I love this game. I also hate it!
Finaly finished the Enigma pack! It's took me 30mins just to do the last level.

Tip: to remember the sequence to an enigma level; draw 8x8 circles on a piece of paper and put a cross through the ones you can roll on. It helps a LOT!

Love this game! Top 3 easily. Gonna have a go at designing a level after my Christmas shopping... :)

Vingdoloras
12-05-2009, 07:56 AM
If you time it right, you can "cheat" in Enigma Levels 2 and 3 (at least... If it is possible in one of the others too, I havent noticed). I know, 2 and 3 are still the easy ones, but hey it can help you get better times :P

I finished the complete Enigma pack in about 5 Minutes, I am good at remembering things (sometimes... :P), so it was easy for me to find the path through the buttons.

Maybe I will also do a very-very-polished-level-pack as Midian's, but I will need much more time than he needed:)

Btw, a person called "Bumper man" uploaded 4 packs (called 12, 123, 1234, 12345), all levels are empty (ok one pack contains one obstacle in the middle of each level, but that's senseless) hmm :/

TheSeldomSeenKid
12-05-2009, 08:06 AM
If you time it right, you can "cheat" in Enigma Levels 2 and 3 (at least... If it is possible in one of the others too, I havent noticed). I know, 2 and 3 are still the easy ones, but hey it can help you get better times :P

I finished the complete Enigma pack in about 5 Minutes, I am good at remembering things (sometimes... :P), so it was easy for me to find the path through the buttons.

Cool. I'd go back to Enigma but I'd probably have a tantrum! It's completed now so "bye bye Enigma!"

I'm gonna make a level soon, anybody got any hints or tips?

Anders
12-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Btw, a person called "Bumper man" uploaded 4 packs (called 12, 123, 1234, 12345), all levels are empty (ok one pack contains one obstacle in the middle of each level, but that's senseless) hmm :/

It's hard to stop people from making empty packs. However, if someone downloads it, he/she will rate it 1 star, and it should be harder to find and won't make any top lists.

We can set how many people who need to rate it before it gets a rating, I think it's set to three ratings now before a rating is shown.

Anders
12-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Cool. I'd go back to Enigma but I'd probably have a tantrum! It's completed now so "bye bye Enigma!"

I'm gonna make a level soon, anybody got any hints or tips?

Just some general pointers:

* People tend to like easy and medium packs over hard ones
* Use checkpoints
* It's nice to look at round walls and walls that line up nicely
* Come up with a theme and be consistent
* Look at the levels you like, what makes them fun to play?
* There is usually no need to use every single object available in the same level
* The shortcut keys WASD are useful for making things pixel pefect!

TouchChatterbox
12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
The Little Big Planet guys had so much problems with people uploading copyrighted images (like pics of Mario, Donald Duck etc) and getting in trouble with all sorts of companies and lawyers, that we didn't want to risk that.How about anything with custom images has to go through approval [which I'm sure you could find some volunteers for, just being a simple 'yes' click once people glance at the level design and find there's no Coke or whatever logos on] or that people could report levels violating copyright.

Vingdoloras
12-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Hmm, could you place some information about the Editor (Rotation/Copy/Move/Delete Shortkeys like in FAQ; Size [I keep forgetting the exact size of the field]) in the empty information-field (the field that shows information about the selected obstacle => click somewhere onto the level where no obstacle is => it shows an empty field)?

The normal walls cast a small soft shadow, but the moving walls seem to have no shadow...

Could you make it possible to hide the path of a moving wall? So a player can't see that a wall will go this way or the other way or something like that

Anders
12-05-2009, 09:15 AM
How about anything with custom images has to go through approval [which I'm sure you could find some volunteers for, just being a simple 'yes' click once people glance at the level design and find there's no Coke or whatever logos on] or that people could report levels violating copyright.

I don't think anyone would think that would be a very fun job to be honest. Answering support emails already take a lot of time, and if we were to review all requests manually on top of that wouldn't leave me much time to do updates or code new games, which is what I really want to do.

Another problem is that the levels would have to include textures, which would make them slower to download and more server storage would be needed as well.

What kind of theme would you personally like?

Anders
12-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Hmm, could you place some information about the Editor (Rotation/Copy/Move/Delete Shortkeys like in FAQ; Size [I keep forgetting the exact size of the field]) in the empty information-field (the field that shows information about the selected obstacle => click somewhere onto the level where no obstacle is => it shows an empty field)?

The normal walls cast a small soft shadow, but the moving walls seem to have no shadow...

Could you make it possible to hide the path of a moving wall? So a player can't see that a wall will go this way or the other way or something like that

Yup, we'll add it somewhere. If it makes it easier to remember is that it's the same as the resolution of your iPod/iPhone: 480x320.

All static objects cast soft shadows (due to indirect lighting), dynamic objects don't. This is done in a pre-render stage and is not something we can do in real-time since it takes about 300 ms. Perhaps we can fake it somehow. I'll add it to our list.

The moving wall was initially intended just for pushing you ball around, not as a puzzle element. I'll see what we can do, perhaps it could be an option or we can create a new element.

wootbean
12-05-2009, 09:23 AM
the game uses very little battery :)
I was at 12% and played for about an hour, I think I finished 6 or 7 hard level packs. quit the game then and my battery was at 8%
my screen was dim though

Anders
12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
the game uses very little battery :)
I was at 12% and played for about an hour, I think I finished 6 or 7 hard level packs. quit the game then and my battery was at 8%
my screen was dim though

Good to hear! We have done what we could to improve battery life. Whenever a menu is displayed (both in-game and the other ones) we drop down to 5 fps instead of the usual 60. Optimized textures and sounds, which makes the game load faster as well, means less CPU cycles to load them, which also improves battery life.

Foozelz
12-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Does the editor come in-game or on computer like there Lab. 1 game

Anders
12-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Does the editor come in-game or on computer like there Lab. 1 game

On the computer. It's quite extensive now that you can connect buttons to all kinds of stuff, add timed delays etc to make challenging puzzles.

sour
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
In the editor, when I try to rotate some objects, it takes a while... It's not a huge problem, but I feel it would be more convenient if the objects moved faster while rotating. Thanks in advance! :)

sk8erdude50
12-05-2009, 11:07 AM
How do u get past the last enigma level?

Anders
12-05-2009, 11:08 AM
In the editor, when I try to rotate some objects, it takes a while... It's not a huge problem, but I feel it would be more convenient if the objects moved faster while rotating. Thanks in advance! :)

I think you are referring to a feature. I don't know if you have noticed, but they snap to 15 degree intervals. Most of the time you want things to line up things at the same angle, and this makes that a lot easier. You can adjust it to any angle you want, of course, by simply changing the angle in the properties panel.

Anders
12-05-2009, 11:11 AM

There is a single path that doesn't close the door. Start with the button to the right. Someone suggested marking the path on a piece of paper to make it easier to remember.

This is the last level, and also the hardest. I'll probably add all the solutions to our FAQ as there are a couple of questions every day about Enigma ;)

sour
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I think you are referring to a feature. I don't know if you have noticed, but they snap to 15 degree intervals. Most of the time you want things to line up things at the same angle, and this makes that a lot easier. You can adjust it to any angle you want, of course, by simply changing the angle in the properties panel.

Ok, hold on, let me try it out. Thanks for the feedback! I absolutely love the fact that if I need a question asked about the game, I'm confident that you will be here and have an answer! :)

sour
12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Oh my god... I can't believe I missed that the many times I've used the editor! I feel kind of stupid now... :p I've always used the control panel to move the angle and it would take ages! This will make level making soooooo much faster! :)

Vingdoloras
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
This might be caused by slow CPU. I sometimes experience this, too.

If you can't remember which buttons are safe, take a piece of paper, draw a 8x8 grid, try all buttons of the first row. If a button is safe, mark the equivalent field on your paper. From the safe button, go to all buttons of the second row which you can reach. Mark all safe buttons again. Now check the buttons of the second row which you can access through the button you already marked (this sounds like stupid double-checking, but the path is partly horizontal, so you need to go along the same row over and over again untill you cant find any more buttons). Continue this procedure untill you find the right way to the end.

iMario
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's my first level -wip- it's supposed to look like a pinball level.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/iMario_2008/IMG_0028.png

I'll put up another screenshot when it's finished.

Updated, but I'm still thinking of making some improvents to look it more like a pinball machine.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/iMario_2008/IMG_0029.png

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I've got a couple of suggestions for the editor.

1) A grid overlay, transparent lines that separate the level into quarters, eighths, sixteenths... and so on. Doesn't have any effect on playing the level, just makes it easier to make your layout.

2) Shortcut keys for moving objects one space diagonally (for example one pixel up and one pixel right). I place holes diagonally quite a lot so I spend a lot of time sitting here going W, D, W, D, W, D, W, D...

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I had another one last night... I'll let you know if I remember. Anyway, back to editing! My retro pack should be done either tonight or tomorrow... damn I'm slow.

Anders
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I've got a couple of suggestions for the editor.

1) A grid overlay, transparent lines that separate the level into quarters, eighths, sixteenths... and so on. Doesn't have any effect on playing the level, just makes it easier to make your layout.

2) Shortcut keys for moving objects one space diagonally (for example one pixel up and one pixel right). I place holes diagonally quite a lot so I spend a lot of time sitting here going W, D, W, D, W, D, W, D...

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I had another one last night... I'll let you know if I remember. Anyway, back to editing! My retro pack should be done either tonight or tomorrow... damn I'm slow.

All suggestions are more than welcome and all are taken into consideration. I think we have that grid thing on the list already.

Anders
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok, hold on, let me try it out. Thanks for the feedback! I absolutely love the fact that if I need a question asked about the game, I'm confident that you will be here and have an answer! :)

Any time ;) The good thing about helping out here is that others will read it too. If I replied by email only you would read it. Win win.

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I've just remembered what the other one is! A ruler tool. On my last level for example I was trying to make a lot of passages fit the ball exactly (which was 26px I think...) and every time I wanted to do it I had to make a wall that was 26px wide and place it in as a template, then place the other walls around it, then delete it. It would speed up my editing a lot of there was a faster way to measure gaps and stuff :)

dumbname
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I've just remembered what the other one is! A ruler tool. On my last level for example I was trying to make a lot of passages fit the ball exactly (which was 26px I think...) and every time I wanted to do it I had to make a wall that was 26px wide and place it in as a template, then place the other walls around it, then delete it. It would speed up my editing a lot of there was a faster way to measure gaps and stuff :)

Use the ball as a measuring tool

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Use the ball as a measuring tool

I did but it's not as easy as straight edges, especially when you're working with angled walls.

iMario
12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
My first level is done. It's called Pinball.

There's a lot of bouncing (like a pinball machine), there's the duplicator to duplicate your balls, there are buttons - one button you will have to push to remove the wall, but do not activate the wrong one because the cannon may shoot something at you, or the door may close again ;). What do you think?

Screenshot:
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/iMario_2008/IMG_0030.png

Edit: I found out that I cannot name all levels individually? Have to make 5 pinball levels to make one pack then.

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Preview of my next level:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2516

Inspired by the last level from "Hooked on Classics". I sort of wanted a break from spending hours aligning walls, but now I've started it I don't want people to think I just got lazy... so I'm probably gonna attempt some nice wooden patterns along the borders :)

Anders
12-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Preview of my next level:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=2516

Inspired by the last level from "Hooked on Classics". I sort of wanted a break from spending hours aligning walls, but now I've started it I don't want people to think I just got lazy... so I'm probably gonna attempt some nice wooden patterns along the borders :)

The Classic packs are a nice change of pace every now and well, and I'm sure Greg will appreciate that one :P

OzzY
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
On level editor site you get the message "PLEASE ENTER ID AND PIN CODE".
ID isn't identifier (UDID) and it's not Serial number according to the ID's posted earlier in this thread.
So, what's ID and what's PIN code of iPod Touch (or iPhone)??????
Please help!!!!!!!!

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 03:56 PM
On level editor site you get the message "PLEASE ENTER ID AND PIN CODE".
ID isn't identifier (UDID) and it's not Serial number according to the ID's posted earlier in this thread.
So, what's ID and what's PIN code of iPod Touch (or iPhone)??????
Please help!!!!!!!!

Go to the main menu of Labyrinth 2 and tap the create icon!

OzzY
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks, but I tried that already. I thought that the message will pop up with this ID code (like Labyrinth 1), but you need active wifi connection, and I'm not near any of wifi hotspots.
Are these id and pin viewable only from Labyrinth application?

MidianGTX
12-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks, but I tried that already. I thought that the message will pop up with this ID code (like Labyrinth 1), but you need active wifi connection, and I'm not near any of wifi hotspots.

You need a connection to download them onto your iPhone... you can still make them on your PC/mac though. Just write down the ID and pin and sign into the level editor.

Anders
12-05-2009, 04:18 PM

First go to Create menu, and then tap the button at the lower right part of the screen, there you should see your ID and pin code.

OzzY
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
We're on the begining again. I want to make levels on my PC but I don't know how to get my ID and PIN from iPod, that's my very first question.

Anders
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
We're on the begining again. I want to make levels on my PC but I don't know how to get my ID and PIN from iPod, that's my very first question.

if you press Create, and then the button at the lower right, what do you see? You should see your ID and code there.

Miti96
12-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Select the door, and then set "Open" and "Restart". The door will then open when the ball is respawned (i.e. falls into a hole or is shot by the cannon).

Yeah, ok, thanks. I actually needed a way to have 2 balls and when one falls into a hole, a door opens, but that's (still) impossible, I suppose. Thanks.

OzzY
12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I understood what I need to do from the first reply, but thanks.
I tried to figure out the way to see 'em without wifi connection, cause (like I said) I'm not anywhere near wifi hotspot, so after all you need wifi connection JUST to see these codes even if you don't want to download levels to iDevice.
I'll see these codes when I get to school (there's the nearest free wireless connection).