PDA

View Full Version : What's this? Sony Preparing New Handheld Devices to Take On Apple?

seyoon
03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
From the MacRumors article:

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) on Sony's plans to develop a new lineup of handheld devices to compete against Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Threatened by Apple Inc.'s growing stable of portable devices, Sony Corp. is developing a new lineup of handheld products, including a smart phone capable of downloading and playing PlayStation games, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Japanese electronics giant also has a project under way to develop a portable device that blurs distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PlayStation Portable, or PSP. The device is designed to compete against multifunction products such as Apple's coming iPad tablet, these people said.
The initiative seems to be an expansion of an effort revealed last year, with Apple's forthcoming iPad now serving as yet another target for Sony. According to today's report, Sony is targeting a 2010 launch for these devices, although specifications and pricing are currently unknown.

The devices will reportedly be designed to take advantage of Sony long-standing leadership position in mobile gaming while also leveraging the company's new media service due for launch this month as a competitor to Apple's iTunes Store. Sony has felt increasing pressure as Apple and third-party developers have been increasingly positioning the iPhone, and particularly the iPod touch, as gaming devices. The iPad, which will be able to run iPhone games as well as iPad-specific applications, obviously offers yet another venue for quality gaming experiences.

article here: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/04/sony-preparing-new-handheld-devices-to-take-on-apple/

Competition is healthy. Even though this is a maneuver towards the iPad, I'd like to see another pocketable portable from Sony that integrates well with Playstation. More minimalistic form factor than the PSPGo yet maintaining it's screen size of 3.8 inches.

kijib
03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
yes!!!

PSP GO 2!!!!!!!!

The prez 12521
03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
so there will be the Sony handheld? The windows 7 mobile phone? and apple....its funny...each lacks something that the other has but they all have a couple similarities

Kamazar
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
...a portable device that blurs distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PlayStation Portable, or PSP.

Why not throw in Optimus Prime and a freakin' toaster into the mix.

Twiddle
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Interesting... I'm not sure if Sony has any experience in mobile phone development or not, but I'm not quite sure what this would bring to the table. What could Sony bring to the mobile gaming industry that isn't already there? Other than the Playstation ports, of course.

I have a PSP, and the iPod Touch is simply much better, as it has a touch screen, and the biggest difference is that the iPod has a much larger amount of games for a cheaper price.

Now, if the new gaming devices could possibly bring a Playstation Network with them, sort of like the App Store now, then we could start seeing some real competition.

Thanks for the read, very interesting indeed.

seyoon
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
so there will be the Sony handheld? The windows 7 mobile phone? and apple....its funny...each lacks something that the other has but they all have a couple similarities

Imho, Windows Mobile 7 is just Microsoft's way of redeeming themselves on how crappy the TinMo OS has been over the years. I'm still not sure it will be successful and will just ride the heels of the iPhone OS and now Android. Even Symbian, Maemo and Samsung Bada is playing the scrambling game. The WinMo7 is just a rehashed Zune OS. As for Sony's handheld plans for blurs distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PlayStation Portable...I'm pretty sure its OS will be no match to the iPad's. But I'm more excited for smaller portable gaming devices the size of our iPhones/PSPGo. If there's a gaming portable competition, only Sony can race with Apple. Perhaps its the other way around based on the growth of developers for the App Store. Sony is getting antsy(?).

The prez 12521
03-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Imho, Windows Mobile 7 is just Microsoft's way of redeeming themselves on how crappy the TinMo OS has been over the years. I'm still not sure it will be successful and will just ride the heels of the iPhone OS and now Android. Even Symbian, Maemo and Samsung Bada is playing the scrambling game. The WinMo7 is just a rehashed Zune OS. As for Sony's handheld plans for ...I'm pretty sure its OS will be no match to the iPad's. But I'm more excited for smaller portable gaming devices the size of our iPhones/PSPGo. If there's a gaming portable competition, only Sony can race with Apple. Perhaps its the other way around based on the growth of developers for the App Store. Sony is getting antsy(?).

yeah...imo they will all fail...like time said...they may be better, but it will take something 5 times as good as the iphone to kill the iphone....

you need, cheap games, over 100,000 apps, and lots of features and others dont offer that...its like they offer more but dont offer the basics

LBG
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
No doubt they will fail.
They failed epically with the PSP go. My guess is that they will try and make some gimmicky little mobile device, resembling the PSP go with some retarded slider and buttons too close together.
I'll stick with my original PSP.

Twiddle
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
No doubt they will fail.
They failed epically with the PSP go. My guess is that they will try and make some gimmicky little mobile device, resembling the PSP go with some retarded slider and buttons too close together.
I'll stick with my original PSP.

How can you be so sure? The PSP go was probably created before they felt really pressured. Besides, we aren't talking about some little company, we're talking about Sony. I don't think they would share their upcoming projects unless they were confident with what they created.

Let's wait a bit until they show us exactly what they're making. :D

z0||b1_G-zus
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Personally I think if anyone would be capable of giving Apple serious competition in this market it'd be Sony. You have to keep in mind everything they have under their belt. Even if they were to produce another version of the PSP, so what? To be fair what are the iPod Touch and iPad in relation to the iPhone?

Sony is fully capable of producing a device that functions as a cell phone but that's probably near the end of the list of what they could hold over Apple. In terms of music and audio they've been a leader in the industry for how long? And not just equipment but in the artists as well. On the visual side of things they created the new standard for HD with Blu-Ray which also puts them at the head of the pack when it comes to the displays and screens. They've also got their hands in the computer market meaning browsing the web, e-mail services, e-books and all other file and documents viewing would be more than likely...as well as compability with a larger variety a file types supported. And i'm not even going into details with these three aspects.

To compare the PSP to any iDevices is kind misrepresenting both of them. The PSP is a gaming device first and all else second. The iDevices are the exact opposite as the game side didn't gain momentum until the app store. Even now that they are getting more popular the main focus on Apple products still isn't the gaming industry.

If Sony were to put out a competittive device the PS Store would be on it and you'd find pretty much everything the app store has to offer. No, it wouldn't have 100,000 apps but as far as I'm concerned that's a GOOD thing. I don't like sorting through 100 apps to find what seems to be what I'm looking for until I buy and realize I just wasted money...again. Where Apple lets damn near anyone post an app for the dev fee and a cut of the profit, Sony will say no to stuff that just shouldn't be. Looking through the forums here I get the impression I'm not the only who'd like to see Apple do this a little more. Also as of recently Sony has been dipping into the smaller, cheaper games with the "minis". You can already find a couple popular, familiar titles such as Chillingo's iDracula. Yea, it is a little more expensives bit it's also better quality as it was made FOR a gaming device, not a device that just happens plays games as well. If Sony were to go through with this project I'm sure you'd see a lot more of this as well as another thing they've got over Apple, PS one games, PSP games, and countless 1st party and exclusive titles.

Apple's claim to fame is the touch screen, yes. But they only started the trend. If Sony's device were to have touch screen and physical analog stick, d-pad, and/or buttons incorporated somehow you'd have the best of both worlds. I enjoy playing iDracula on my iPhone, but I'd enjoy it more if my thumbs weren't blocking the screen and even more if I could plug it into my tv to play without have to watch the touch screen to make sure my thumbs were in place.

On top of all this if think of Sony's general accessebility and customization options of file/folder organization, visual themes that can be applied, and out of the box plug and play compatibility with a wide variety of items. All of which are lacking on Apples devices.

To compare the iProducts to just a PSP is skewing the reality of what could be. If Sony were to develop a device that's a solid combination of one of its multimedia PCs and gaming systems, add cell phone capabilities, and make both pocket and tablet varieties, I think we see the first contender stepping up. If it were Nintendo saying they're working on such a product I'd think that they went insane. But if Sony were to make a solid effort and put the best of everything the company is composed of as a whole into one device I think we'd witness quite an interesting confrontation. Like I said at the start, if any one company were truly capable of this, it'd have to be Sony.

Deewin
03-05-2010, 01:33 AM
The app store market is as competitive as it gets. There are tons of fantastic underpriced games for 99 cents and it offers some of the best dollar purchases I've ever made. The only problem is that it's a bit overwhelming to browse the app store for decent purchases and there's too many games out for videogame review sites to cover them all.

Random_Guy
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Sweet. This will definitely improve the handheld gaming industry.

S.I.D. CrAzY
03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Still waiting for the PsP 2 and DS 2. Depending how those turn out I'll drop my iPod for one of those in a heartbeat. I miss buttons.

HelperMonkey
03-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Interesting.
One consideration: If Sony starts up this new "media service" to compete with the app store, they already have a huge library of Playstation titles that are well past production and profitability. They may be able to make those titles available for download at very low (AppStore-competitive) prices.

Now, a way-out question to ponder:
Apple and Sony are now going to be competing for the do-everything device market. What are the odds that Apple, seeing the success of gaming on the iDevices, decides to throw a curve-ball and design a pure gaming device to challenge the PSP & DS market?

Twiddle
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Personally I think if anyone would be capable of giving Apple serious competition in this market it'd be Sony. You have to keep in mind everything they have under their belt. Even if they were to produce another version of the PSP, so what? To be fair what are the iPod Touch and iPad in relation to the iPhone?

Sony is fully capable of producing a device that functions as a cell phone but that's probably near the end of the list of what they could hold over Apple. In terms of music and audio they've been a leader in the industry for how long? And not just equipment but in the artists as well. On the visual side of things they created the new standard for HD with Blu-Ray which also puts them at the head of the pack when it comes to the displays and screens. They've also got their hands in the computer market meaning browsing the web, e-mail services, e-books and all other file and documents viewing would be more than likely...as well as compability with a larger variety a file types supported. And i'm not even going into details with these three aspects.

To compare the PSP to any iDevices is kind misrepresenting both of them. The PSP is a gaming device first and all else second. The iDevices are the exact opposite as the game side didn't gain momentum until the app store. Even now that they are getting more popular the main focus on Apple products still isn't the gaming industry.

If Sony were to put out a competittive device the PS Store would be on it and you'd find pretty much everything the app store has to offer. No, it wouldn't have 100,000 apps but as far as I'm concerned that's a GOOD thing. I don't like sorting through 100 apps to find what seems to be what I'm looking for until I buy and realize I just wasted money...again. Where Apple lets damn near anyone post an app for the dev fee and a cut of the profit, Sony will say no to stuff that just shouldn't be. Looking through the forums here I get the impression I'm not the only who'd like to see Apple do this a little more. Also as of recently Sony has been dipping into the smaller, cheaper games with the "minis". You can already find a couple popular, familiar titles such as Chillingo's iDracula. Yea, it is a little more expensives bit it's also better quality as it was made FOR a gaming device, not a device that just happens plays games as well. If Sony were to go through with this project I'm sure you'd see a lot more of this as well as another thing they've got over Apple, PS one games, PSP games, and countless 1st party and exclusive titles.

Apple's claim to fame is the touch screen, yes. But they only started the trend. If Sony's device were to have touch screen and physical analog stick, d-pad, and/or buttons incorporated somehow you'd have the best of both worlds. I enjoy playing iDracula on my iPhone, but I'd enjoy it more if my thumbs weren't blocking the screen and even more if I could plug it into my tv to play without have to watch the touch screen to make sure my thumbs were in place.

On top of all this if think of Sony's general accessebility and customization options of file/folder organization, visual themes that can be applied, and out of the box plug and play compatibility with a wide variety of items. All of which are lacking on Apples devices.

To compare the iProducts to just a PSP is skewing the reality of what could be. If Sony were to develop a device that's a solid combination of one of its multimedia PCs and gaming systems, add cell phone capabilities, and make both pocket and tablet varieties, I think we see the first contender stepping up. If it were Nintendo saying they're working on such a product I'd think that they went insane. But if Sony were to make a solid effort and put the best of everything the company is composed of as a whole into one device I think we'd witness quite an interesting confrontation. Like I said at the start, if any one company were truly capable of this, it'd have to be Sony.

Totally agree with your entire post. I actually primarily use the iPod Touch for gaming, and if Sony can bring something to the table that can compete with the iPod Touch but is mainly for gaming, I'm in.

All I would need is an App Store similar feature for the new products, and a relatively low price for the games. If the Average Joe could produce game titles that would be filtered for quality, that would be even better.

I'm extremely excited for these new lines of products, because I actually like using real physical buttons for gaming. The only reason I never touch my PSP is because it doesn't include as many quality games for a cheap price like the App Store does, but if the new line of Sony products can include that, I'll be one of the first to buy their device.

knobish
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I think Sony missed the boat. Far moreso on the iphone Market.

I love the iPhone and iPhone gaming but really. I am casual. I only game cause its on my phone, and I used to play the crappy games on my crappy phones. I think if sony makes anything it'll be targeting their base of already hardcore gamers and miss the whole casual crowd that "plays cause its there"

Twiddle
03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I think Sony missed the boat. Far moreso on the iphone Market.

I love the iPhone and iPhone gaming but really. I am casual. I only game cause its on my phone, and I used to play the crappy games on my crappy phones. I think if sony makes anything it'll be targeting their base of already hardcore gamers and miss the whole casual crowd that "plays cause its there"

I would personally say that most consumers are casual players, but there are a large minority of hardcore gamers, even for a small device like the iPod Touch.