PDA

View Full Version : iPad ArtStudio Drawings

MicroByte
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Just wanted to say that I LOVE my iPad! Since getting it, I downloaded ArtStudio and have been drawing/painting like a madman!

Here's some I've created:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4546614455_50da9fd9c7.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4547239436_b0c2fc00cc.jpg

My latest and favorite:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4579109661_d66bdf99be.jpg

worldcup1100
05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Whoa! Those are incredible! Did you make them from scratch?

Negamaki
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Stunning work.. I've been experimenting with the app on the iPhone and you completely undermine my work, lmao.

Slapshot
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4579109661_d66bdf99be.jpg

This. Is. Win.

MicroByte
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Whoa! Those are incredible! Did you make them from scratch?

Take a look... (turn down the volume if metal bugs you, I thought it would sound cool, I was wrong! :o

REynFy7nqrE

MidianGTX
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Awesome stuff. I don't know you, are you involved with any dev teams? There are probably a whole bunch around here that'd pay decent money for artwork like that, even if it was done on an iPad.

MicroByte
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Awesome stuff. I don't know you, are you involved with any dev teams? There are probably a whole bunch around here that'd pay decent money for artwork like that, even if it was done on an iPad.

You might have seen me around on the boards, I visit frequently everyday, post less though...

Not involved with any dev teams and am not an artist by nature, I'm actually an application developer...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Rocketman919
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Damn, this is the main reason why i Want an iPad. Those are fantastic. Is that video just a bunch of screenshots you took? What stylus did you use for this?

fangfangli
05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
:)Why can i see nothing?

MicroByte
05-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Damn, this is the main reason why i Want an iPad. Those are fantastic. Is that video just a bunch of screenshots you took? What stylus did you use for this?

As I was drawing, I used the ArtStudio Export feature to export to my Photo's. I was messing around with the slideshow feature with dissolve and it actually looked cool when it transitioned.

I'm using natures grown stylus... my fingers! :) I thought about getting a pogo, but I'm actually used to drawing by finger now.

Slyv
05-05-2010, 01:14 AM
It was hard to believe that it was painted on iPad.
Thanks you put video from the process.
I'm even more happy as it was painted in my app, ArtStudio :)
It's the best of the best.
This image is a great promotion of ArtStudio.

Sylwester Los, Lucky Clan

MicroByte
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM
It was hard to believe that it was painted on iPad.
Thanks you put video from the process.
I'm even more happy as it was painted in my app, ArtStudio :)
It's the best of the best.
This image is a great promotion of ArtStudio.

Wow, great to hear from the deveolper of ArtStudio! You have written an amazing application and it's worth far more than the amount you're charging right now!

I've said it time and time again, best $0.99 I've ever spent! :D

MicroByte
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's my latest! It's CQB from Halo. I've got the figure on my desk and love this variant most!

This also done using ArtStudio for iPad.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/4599828334_933a0ca93b_o.jpg

MidianGTX
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Hot shit.

Negamaki
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
You are beyond human.

Kamazar
05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Psh, I can totally see the primitive upward stroke you used on his left thigh. I raise my nose in disgust.

Will090
05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
What I find more amazing than how good those pics are, is how you manage to paint them with your fingers. I could never do anything close to those :p

bmn0210
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Just looked up the app. Um...anyone else notice the dev screwed up (accidentally inverted) the pricing for this app?
Not buying until they fix it - although if you have an iPad, you might want to snag it now before they realize.

Slyv
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Hmm, what is wrong with the pricing?

Sylwester Los, Lucky Clan (ArtStudio developer)

bmn0210
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Hmm, what is wrong with the pricing?

Check again. You've switched the prices of the regular and HD versions. ;)

Random_Guy
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
How long, on average, does it take for you to draw one of these from scratch?

Slyv
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Check again. You've switched the prices of the regular and HD versions. ;)

ArtStudio for iPhone always costed $3.99.
ArtStudio for iPad always costed $0.99.

I never changed the prices for ArtStudio

bmn0210
05-11-2010, 06:56 PM

So you're selling the better version for cheaper? Strange business strategy, but fine by me - I just hope it's still the same price when I get my iPad next year. :p

MicroByte
05-11-2010, 08:34 PM
How long, on average, does it take for you to draw one of these from scratch?

The Bowser drawing took me over a week to do, lots of shading and detailing needed.

The CQB took abbey a week to do. It's amazing how m ouch detail is packed into such a little figure! Surprisingly, the damn boots were the hardest part to shade and detail out!

The other 2 paintings took about 2 days each.

Trying to decide what to start next...

MidianGTX
05-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Grizzly bear! Two bears fighting!

Grubjelly
05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I would consider checking out Art Studio if I saw a hands-on (or finger-on) video of similar work being done. That's impressive how well the Mario one turned out after starting with such a simple sketch.

techie_chic
05-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Great artwork! I'm amazed at how you play with the colors, just like a true artist would. You should do more of your thing and update us with your work, we would love to look at it. Keep it up! :)

MicroByte
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to share this:

http://obamapacman.com/2010/05/awesome-super-mario-bowser-castle-apple-ipad-painting-art-by-john-haasl/

It's funny, I posted some of my stuff on another forum to show off iPad art and someone contacted me wanting to write an article on my stuff. I didn't take them too seriously, but they actually wrote something! :D

*EDIT*

Oh and Sylwester, I should be earning some sort of commission for praising your app as much as I do! I be sure to mention it whenever anyone asks what App I used since I haven't had the need to try out anything else on the App store yet! :)

Slyv
05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
MicroByte's painting were noticed by tuaw.com:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/13/hobby-artist-creates-paintings-on-the-ipad/
And now ArtStudio for iPad is #20 in App Store for iPad.

Microbyte - thank you again for sharing your paintings from ArtStudion in Internet!

Random_Guy
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
The Bowser drawing took me over a week to do, lots of shading and detailing needed.

The CQB took abbey a week to do. It's amazing how m ouch detail is packed into such a little figure! Surprisingly, the damn boots were the hardest part to shade and detail out!

The other 2 paintings took about 2 days each.

2 full days or just casual?

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Oh and Sylwester, I should be earning some sort of commission for praising your app as much as I do! I be sure to mention it whenever anyone asks what App I used since I haven't had the need to try out anything else on the App store yet! :)

That definitely sounds like an ad. Are you completely unaffiliated with Artstudio? If not, then i may have to try it out in spite of the low star ratingS it's been getting in the app store.

MicroByte
05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
@ Random Guy - They were done 2 days on and off, mostly at night after the kids were in bed and I needed some down time.

@ Grubjelly - This is the Internet so you'll have to take my word for it - I am not affiliated with ArtStudio, just a user.

After picking up my iPad, I was really wanting to try out an art app to see if I'd like it or if would even be worth it on the iPad. I kept leaning towards Brushes or Sketchbook since there was so much talk about them. I even started a thread here to see what other's thought:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901326

I ended up getting ArtStudio since it was only a dollar (I've spent much more on games that I hardly ever get into!) and I really got into it.

I've still been tempted to try out the other's, but have gotten used to what's available. There are some tools I wish it had, but I'm able to do what I need to with it. At this point, I know where things are and how to adjust brush settings so if I jumped to another app, I'd have to start all over again.

I don't know what more to say, I like the App and praise it for what it is.

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
@ Random Guy - They were done 2 days on and off, mostly at night after the kids were in bed and I needed some down time.

@ Grubjelly - This is the Internet so you'll have to take my word for it - I am not affiliated with ArtStudio, just a user.

After picking up my iPad, I was really wanting to try out an art app to see if I'd like it or if would even be worth it on the iPad. I kept leaning towards Brushes or Sketchbook since there was so much talk about them. I even started a thread here to see what other's thought:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901326

I ended up getting ArtStudio since it was only a dollar (I've spent much more on games that I hardly ever get into!) and I really got into it.

I've still been tempted to try out the other's, but have gotten used to what's available. There are some tools I wish it had, but I'm able to do what I need to with it. At this point, I know where things are and how to adjust brush settings so if I jumped to another app, I'd have to start all over again.

I don't know what more to say, I like the App and praise it for what it is.

Sorry, i watched the YouTube video, read the blurb on the sketchy "obamapacman" blog, and am still not convinced. There's no way to tell in the video that fingers and the art program you are endorsing are what were used.

A real-time, hands-on video of art studio being used to create that or similar works would be convincing.

MidianGTX
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry, i watched the YouTube video, read the blurb on the sketchy "obamapacman" blog, and am still not convinced. There's no way to tell in the video that fingers and the art program you are endorsing are what were used.

A real-time, hands-on video of art studio being used to create that or similar works would be convincing.

You've got trust issues. If you don't believe him, make your own mind up. It's a dollar, I'm sure you won't die in the gutter just because you didn't make it big in the art world. The way you're talking makes this sound like a massive conspiracy when there's really no reason for it to be.

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
You've got trust issues. If you don't believe him, make your own mind up. It's a dollar, I'm sure you won't die in the gutter just because you didn't make it big in the art world. The way you're talking makes this sound like a massive conspiracy when there's really no reason for it to be.

Why "massive conspiracy"? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? All I said was that the video wasn't convincing, and that the linked 3rd-party blog (not the artist's) seemed sketchy. If this were accompanied by a real-time video of someone making those or similar works without a stylus, then this 99 cent app would seem more compelling.

MicroByte
05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
@Grubjelly - I wholeheartedly understand you being unconvinced about this, but I really have nothing to prove. I linked to the obamapacman blog because I was genuinely excited to see my stuff published on someone's site, I thought it was cool and was excited. If something you created was put up by someone else, you would be excited too. Since then, I've been shocked to see articles about my stuff on Appadvice and on, one of my favorite sites, TUAW.

I don't have a personal blog. The closest I came to this was a site on wordpress called DSIblogger. I have a flickr page with my stuff and that's it. I started this as a hobby and really have nothing to prove. I started this thread here to honestly show off my stuff because I am proud that I did something that I thought looked decent.

I really don't feel the need to post a video of me drawing for hours to prove that I did something or not. I don't make money from this and don't intend to. It's a hobby I just got into, nothing more, and is something that I'm enjoying. I can't help but to give credit to the person who built the tools that I use, it's well deserved.

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
@Grubjelly - I wholeheartedly understand you being unconvinced about this, but I really have nothing to prove. I linked to the obamapacman blog because I was genuinely excited to see my stuff published on someone's site, I thought it was cool and was excited. If something you created was put up by someone else, you would be excited too. Since then, I've been shocked to see articles about my stuff on Appadvice and on, one of my favorite sites, TUAW.

I really don't feel the need to post a video of me drawing for hours to prove that I did something or not. I don't make money from this and don't intend to. It's a hobby I just got into, nothing more, and is soUmething that I'm enjoying. I can't help but to give credit to the person who built the tools that I use, it's well deserved.

Hours wouldn't be necessary. Just a few minutes of the the real thing (using only fingers, as you said) would be convincing; one knows it when one sees it.

As for the appadvice article - they just skimmed the net and latched onto the same obamapacman blurb linked above.

By you repeatedly emphasizing your lack of formal training and exclusive use of this one app, skepticism was fairly invited. The "i really should be paid for endorsing this product so much" statement that you made earlier didn't help the case any.

MidianGTX
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Why "massive conspiracy"? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? All I said was that the video wasn't convincing, and that the linked 3rd-party blog (not the artist's) seemed sketchy. If this were accompanied by a real-time video of someone making those or similar works without a stylus, then this 99 cent app would seem more compelling.

It's just that there's absolutely no reason to believe he'd be lying yet for some reason you're suspicious. It'd be like me starting a thread saying "my wife's just had our first child" and you replying with "pics or it didn't happen".

MicroByte
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Hours wouldn't be necessary. Just a few minutes of the the real thing (using only fingers, as you said) would be convincing; one knows it when one sees it.

Cool, I understand your point. Let me see what I can whip up tonight for kicks. No promises, and I'm picking something off my desk that would be simple enough to do in 5 - 10 minutes. I give up after this if you don't believe me though! ;)

I feel like Marty Mcfly right now for some reason...

MidianGTX
05-14-2010, 11:47 AM
I feel like Marty Mcfly right now for some reason...

Self-tying sneakers?

MicroByte
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Self-tying sneakers?

Yup, next to my hoverboard and DeLorean!

Actually, I was thinking of the scene where Needles calls Marty a chicken... :p

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
The appadvice article cited above seems like an "expedited review" in disguise. Notice how there are two artists named and given equal coverage, but only the app (artstudio) claimed to be the only ipad art app used by the first artist is named, and appstore-linked at the bottom, whereas no mention is made of any apps used by the second artist.

Slyv
05-14-2010, 03:37 PM
The appadvice article cited above seems like an "expedited review" in disguise. Notice how there are two artists named and given equal coverage, but only the app (artstudio) claimed to be the only ipad art app used by the first artist is named, and appstore-linked at the bottom, whereas no mention is made of any apps used by the second artist.

Review in appadvice is not "expedited review". I mean i didn't pay them for the review. You can asked them if you want, i'm sure they will respond you immedaitely.

Grubjelly
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Review in appadvice is not "expedited review". I mean i didn't pay them for the review. You can asked them if you want, i'm sure they will respond you immedaitely.

I'm not talking about that review, but rather their "article" entitled "Artists are using the ipad to create their next masterpieces," (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/05/the-ipad-for-artists/) which names and lists samples by two ipad artists, yet only mentions and appstore-links the one app "Artstudio."

MicroByte
05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, I actually managed to score enough quiet time to record something. This was done in 10 minutes of rushing, but I tried to mimic the style of my daisy painting to show what brushes were used. The daisy painting took about 2 days to finish, this one was done in 10 minutes. Drawing under pressure is hard!

Also, I realized after the fact that I should have put the camera on the other side. I use my right hand to draw and my left to select tools. Oh well, I'm not making another one, but you can see what's going on.

Vdb2X2rIBzA

And the final drawing... At least my kid recognized what it was! :p

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1390/4608003842_4011de7714.jpg

Anyways, judge for yourself, I'm done. This was something to do and was kinda fun!

Aurora
05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
It's amazing you could draw those with an iPad app. Those almost look as good as ones done in Photoshop. Does the iPad function as a Photoshop tablet? Any apps that hook up to the computer?

Kamazar
05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
It's amazing you could draw those with an iPad app. Those almost look as good as ones done in Photoshop. Does the iPad function as a Photoshop tablet? Any apps that hook up to the computer?

***WARNING: HELPFUL COMMENT BELOW***

He could hook up a remote access program to his computer. Not sure what this "photoshop tablet" you speak of is.

MicroByte
05-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Here's my latest one, a portrait of my cat Smokie. This was done on an iPad using the ArtStudio App.

I really had a hard time trying to figure out how to paint the fur, but am more than happy with the results.

Surprisingly, the ear was probably the one of the most difficult part since it is so plain looking at first site.

I really am proud of this painting and think it's true to life!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4607668341_d1c461a4c7_o.jpg

kijib
05-15-2010, 12:07 AM
this thread is clearly a conspiracy for the ipad

Consultant
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Lol, I am sorry you feel that way, but my site is so sketchy that MIT (and others) links to it.
MIT: http://web.mit.edu/aeroastro/labs/halab/news.shtml

Gizmodo writer on an article:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ObamaPacman/150974729048?v=photos#!/photo.php?pid=3121961&id=150974729048

Completely sketchy alright. ;)

Ever heard of blogs? Do you know how they operate? Doesn't sound like you do.

This must mean I am shilling for an autobody shop then...:rolleyes:
http://obamapacman.com/2010/04/first-ever-ipad-car-dash-mod-icar-video/

this thread is clearly a conspiracy for the ipad

OMG that is so true! And Touch Arcade is a conspiracy for iPhone! =)

MicroByte
05-26-2010, 07:19 AM
This one is more personal, but I'll let you decide what the story is. My index finger hurts now from all of the flowers, maybe I should get a Pogo now! :p

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4640269349_cd51cfda38_o.png

MicroByte
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
It all started with a wand...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4664520097_c7d626841a_b.jpg

Kamazar
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Gah. :eek:

MicroByte
06-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Gah good or gah bad?

songbird
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Gah good or gah bad?

Gah as in where did you learn to do that? :) Awesome work btw, are you trained in drawing/digital art or is that raw natural talent? :)

The prez 12521
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
how much is this app :D?

songbird
06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
how much is this app :D?

Believe it or not only 99 cents. Yet the iphone version is 3.99. I have both and they are both worth it but I think the dev has the prices reversed.

MicroByte
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Gah as in where did you learn to do that? :) Awesome work btw, are you trained in drawing/digital art or is that raw natural talent? :)

Thanks! :)

I'm not a trained artist at all. I have always had ideas and am finding the iPad perfect for getting those ideas out.

I actually think i want to do more fantasy art like my last one. It was really fun to draw and wasn't something that had to look exactly like an object or person in real life.

Thanks again, that means a lot!

songbird
06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks! :)

I'm not a trained artist at all. I have always had ideas and am finding the iPad perfect for getting those ideas out.

I actually think i want to do more fantasy art like my last one. It was really fun to draw and wasn't something that had to look exactly like an object or person in real life.

Thanks again, that means a lot!

Thank you for sharing, they're inspiring. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

skipper587
06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
*jaw hits the floor*

Negamaki
06-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Micro, you're just not human man. It's the only way I can justify how someone has so much artistic talent..

MicroByte
06-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Here's one I did for my son's birthday coming up next weekend. I rushed to get it done in time and actually ended up finishing too early!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4651702512_1880e8e75e_b.jpg

He loves dinosaurs so I thought I'd surprise him with this. I'm going to use a really cool program called Rasterbator (http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/) to blow up the picture to a huge size and hang it up for him. Hope he likes it!

Random_Guy
06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
I cannot believe my eyes!

Chapperz :D
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Jaw drops* your good at art micro i must say. i was thinking of getting and ipad for drawing . what would you say your impressions of it are. i don't want to waste my money on an ipad. it is a lot of money after all. oh and btw before you buy a pogo you might want to look into the dagi stylus. it looks interesting and it's supposed to be more precise.

edit: oh and have you tried animation on it. i saw a cool one on youtube and i was wondering if you did that aswell.

riftweaver
06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey microbye, any new art to share? :D

Brazilian Rider
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Honestly, I'd have to say that it's gotten to a point where it's a little TOO good...

But that's just the skeptic in me! Good work though!

Slyv
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
And another painting from ArtStudio (iphone version), created by "moxstudios":

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4708815816_5dcde979f1_b.jpg

MidianGTX
06-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Incredible.

EfratBarTal
11-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Noticed how the newest major version of ArtStudio for the iPhone is just plain awesome? I can't believe just how much progress this app has made over the years. Huge huge props to Lucky Clan. Thank you so much! :D

Capricornman
11-17-2012, 09:14 AM
This is so much up my alley
Why don't I have this app!
Now I need an iPad more than ever now:)

Slyv
11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Noticed how the newest major version of ArtStudio for the iPhone is just plain awesome? I can't believe just how much progress this app has made over the years. Huge huge props to Lucky Clan. Thank you so much! :D

Hi

I'm Sylwester Los, author of ArtStudio. Thanks for your kind words.

Because i really like toucharcade forum (not only this thread), here is one promo code for ArtStudio for iPhone:

JN4EPYRJ3PEF

batgirl717111
11-18-2012, 11:14 AM
hey Slyv! artstudio looks awesome!

quick question, is it possible to create very large (300dpi) images in artstudio? either directly, or exporting a file which can be enlarged on the computer (ala the brushes app).

i love painting on the ipad and am looking for new art software, this one looks awesome :)

Slyv
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
hey Slyv! artstudio looks awesome!

quick question, is it possible to create very large (300dpi) images in artstudio? either directly, or exporting a file which can be enlarged on the computer (ala the brushes app).

i love painting on the ipad and am looking for new art software, this one looks awesome :)

Max canvas size for iPad 3/ipad 4 is 2448*3264.
It means you can create 10.9*8.2 (in inches) image with 300dpi quality

earthclaw
11-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Awesome artwork !

I would love to see a macbook pro with retina display and a wacom digitizer built in... the ultimate artist dream machine?

lord-sam
11-18-2012, 04:06 PM

I'd consider myself creative, but this is my awful attempt at drawing on iPad!

Maybe I lack patience, the correct app, or both...:(

EfratBarTal
11-18-2012, 04:43 PM

I'd consider myself creative, but this is my awful attempt at drawing on iPad!

Maybe I lack patience, the correct app, or both...:(

i think this work is pretty good actually! :)