PDA

View Full Version : iPhone iDOS - DOS Emulator (Pulled)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Themartinclan
10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
How do I put them in the games folder? I am using a Mac and iTunes and have my iPad connected but after I downloaded a game I tried to drag the entire folder to the games folder on ids and it wouldn't let me or highlight only individual files would drag and they would drag to the same directory or folder as the games folder but not inside it. I also couldn't transfer entire folders but only individual files like I mentioned.

He has a tutorial on his website. Basically you simply type in copy and the website you want with the zipped rom. Then you unzip the rom.

I tried Ultima Underworlds....oh sweet joy

A-0n3
10-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone!
Regarding Fallout, I managed to install it (becareful to select a small installation type, otherwise the drive will not appear in the list), and it is...................... VERY SLOW!!!!!
Cinematics, menus, ingame, everything is very laggy. I've started playing with the cycles stuff but I just installed idos yesterday so I need to find some info on these settings. Furthermore I have no sound while the sound setup autodetected a correct sound card (SB16 or something, don't remember). So there's still work to do to get fallout fully playable :/

Sucker Punch
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Anyone having problems with it crashing?

When I start it, screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back to main screen.

I'm on a jailbroken ipod touch 3g 8gb running 4.0.0.

Reaper1181
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
When ever I try to run Fallout all I get is "this is a Windows NT windowed executable" anyone else have this problem or know what this means?:confused:

tsharpfilm
10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Anyone having problems with it crashing?

When I start it, screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back to main screen.

I'm on a jailbroken ipod touch 3g 8gb running 4.0.0.
Have you modified the dospad.cfg file yet?

If you changed [CPU] core=dynamic, that might be causing the problem. core=normal seems to be more stable on iPods.

A-0n3
10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
When ever I try to run Fallout all I get is "this is a Windows NT windowed executable" anyone else have this problem or know what this means?:confused:

Install the game from an iso image: mount it in idos, run "install.exe" in the cd main directory, install in c:\whatever and launch the file "fall.bat" from the game directory

Reaper1181
10-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't have the setup or install.exe my only option was fallout.exe. Any ideas what to do with that or find the files your talking about? Also thanks for the quick reply:)

alkar
10-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Never thought i would be able to play this on my iphone 4 ! Yes, it's playable, although sometimes it slows down at 10fps, although for this kind of game, it's fine IMO. And this is with sound enable, i'm sure it's smooth without sound !

For some reason, the intro runs like shit though at 1 fps but in game is fine !

Metroplex
10-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Cant get anything to run period other than command and conquer. Tried to get daggerfall to work but it justs boots me back saying cannot run with cd. I've got a no cd patch but it tells mr that I has Yo be in the c:/ dagger folder which. It is. I'm so confused someone help me!

Mindfield
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
More fun. All of these work completely at full speed (except for Frontier, but it's sorta playable) with sound (where available):

Frontier: Elite II
Rick Dangerous I & II
D/Generation
Day of the Viper
Burgertime
Seymour Goes to Hollywood
Big Business

bebo_beta2002
10-28-2010, 09:27 PM
how can i put games in this app? any tutorial?

1337brian
10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
So I got discworld installed and it runs great!!! I wish we had better sound drivers in iDOS though, this game has some great sound on sblaster but I only have the crap midi, then again it's better then nothing I guess! :D:D:D

tsharpfilm
10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
how can i put games in this app? any tutorial?
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

But be warned: It ain't pretty...

GaurhothW
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Now I know I'm old. I used to love this game, but I haven't been able to get it to run without errors after the first 2 missions (when you get promoted) for years. Dosbox didn't emulate some low level disk routines that the game apparently needed and the game would error out.

Whether recent changes in dosbox or some change made in the port, the game now works...

Happy!

iKilledChewbacca
10-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I have an extra iso of Windows 3.1 and then I go to the itunes file sharing thing and just drop it in . I then typed in "setup" on iDOS and it says something like "you made an illegal command" so where do I place the iso ?

thanks in advance.

meder87
10-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone installed Full Throttle or Sim Tower yet?

1337brian
10-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Anyone installed Full Throttle or Sim Tower yet?

Oh man forgot sim tower!! Installing tomorrow. Tonight I got Kyrandia one and two running but 3 tells me I need a cd rom?.. Lemmings not working asks to insert harddisk.

ikemike
10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
EDIT: Nvm, you right-click with two fingers.

Anyways, does Windows 98 run well? What emulators work?

Shooks
10-29-2010, 01:06 AM
I said it once and I'll say it again - if you don't even know the basics about operating DOS, why did you get the app to begin with?

Could it be that some people have played these games before but had someone set it up for them (like me). Or could it be that many "old school games" are amazing? Why does it matter? Live and let die a little, what do you say?

And for anyone that is still having problems installing something, I'll say what I got it to work for me. In ten easy steps!
1) Get your original file on your computer. Rename it with everything in CAPS.
For example: game.zip--> GAME.ZIP
2) Drag this file onto the I-tunes file sharing window for iDOS.
It's under: Applications-->scroll all the way down--> iDOS
You just drag it unto here, you can't drag it into games.
3) Wait for the file to finish transferring, then eject your iDevice.
4) Open up iDOS, and type dir
Thatt'l bring up the main directory, where your zip file is located.
5) Time to start un-zipping that file. Type: unzip game.zip
You are typing this at c:\
no caps!
It may take a while, depending on the file size.
6) If you get no error, you have successfully un-zipped your game.
7) "Well now what shooks?" First you have to refresh the directory, and for the sake of me saving time, I'll just say; close the application completely, open it back up and go to where you were. You should see a new DIR. That is your game folder.
8) Enter the game folder by typing: cd game
This is typed when at c:\
It has to be the exact folder name.
9)Once in the folder, type: dir
9.5) The folder will expand and you should see a file with: .exe or .bat at the end. That is your game file.
10) Last step! Type in the name of the .exe file, followed by .exe
For example: game.exe

Remember to replace game with your application name.
And that does it! Hopefully your game works. I'm by the way, not a pro. So please correct me if I've said anything wrong. I'm just trying to get people past the initial frustration I had while I was figuring out how to make it work (Many thanks to this forum!) Happy gaming!

netbeui
10-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.. Is it possible to run iDos in portrait on an iPhone or iPod touch?

Also is there a manual somewhere or are you supposed to just refer to the dosbox documentation?

Shooks
10-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Oh man forgot sim tower!! Installing tomorrow. Tonight I got Kyrandia one and two running but 3 tells me I need a cd rom?.. Lemmings not working asks to insert harddisk.

Sim tower, how could I forget :O
I'll have to get it later, I have the disk somewhere...

Shooks
10-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.. Is it possible to run iDos in portrait on an iPhone or iPod touch?

Also is there a manual somewhere or are you supposed to just refer to the dosbox documentation?

No portrait mode, no manual. There are a lot of people posting guides/help like 1337brian (which compiled a relatively hefty document on it), and myself on the previous page. Good luck!

Xapped
10-29-2010, 01:16 AM
No manual, no portrait mode.

blades
10-29-2010, 01:44 AM
What the heck? How on earth did I miss this. And now it's been pulled?....dang it...

tblrsa
10-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Lemmings not working asks to insert harddisk.

Be sure to get a fixed version, as Lemmings featured a Keydisc protection. You had to insert the original floppy once in a while for it to boot.

By the way, is there any way to make iDos/dosbox recognize a mouse click faster? In most games (In Sherlock Holmes Lost Files or Lemmings for example) it does take a few taps until it finally registers the click.

JCat
10-29-2010, 02:04 AM
I've looked everywhere, including the dosbox wiki. Can you write (save games) to the virtual C drive? I have a game that needs a character disc to be created - as soon as I hit create character -- I get save error. Any ideas? Thanks

I tried the same game on the PC version of dosbox and it creates the character with no problem in the same directory.

tblrsa
10-29-2010, 02:52 AM
I've looked everywhere, including the dosbox wiki. Can you write (save games) to the virtual C drive? I have a game that needs a character disc to be created - as soon as I hit create character -- I get save error. Any ideas? Thanks

I tried the same game on the PC version of dosbox and it creates the character with no problem in the same directory.

Is there any file in the game dir that might be write protected? try attrib -r *.* inside the game dir

hkiphone
10-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Now I know I'm old. I used to love this game, but I haven't been able to get it to run without errors after the first 2 missions (when you get promoted) for years. Dosbox didn't emulate some low level disk routines that the game apparently needed and the game would error out.

Whether recent changes in dosbox or some change made in the port, the game now works...

Happy!

DANG!!!! I loved that game too!!! Literally spent my summer holidays glued to that game!!! Always looking for a revamp of it, but nothing has ever come close.... Excuse me while I cry and kick myself for missing this iDOS app.... :'(

turakm
10-29-2010, 03:21 AM
nhl 93 on my iphone :]

one last question though. is there a way to organize it so i dont have to go into every game individualy and find the .exe file. like something where all my games can be right next to each other and i just type it in sort of thing.

thanks

Habakuk
10-29-2010, 03:36 AM
I completed my little tutorial (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1380796&postcount=661) on how to download, install and run Epic Pinball (a very good table "Android", runs smooth with real stereo sound and perfect physics) on iPad/iDOS. Everything should be there. It's a good example imho. Please ask if something doesn't work.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3875/boxerpinball.jpg

Important: Don't mix upper and lower case letters in filenames! It's much easier when you don't use more than eight characters in filenames (except extension like .zip).

tblrsa
10-29-2010, 03:47 AM
nhl 93 on my iphone :]

one last question though. is there a way to organize it so i dont have to go into every game individualy and find the .exe file. like something where all my games can be right next to each other and i just type it in sort of thing.

thanks

One easy way would be individual .bat files per game. Try creating a file on your computer where you just input all the commands used to start the game, like:

memsize=16
cycles=1500
core=normal
cd lemmi
vgalemmi.exe

and save it as lemmi.bat in the root dir. From now on you just need to type "lemmi", or whateever you named the .bat file after, to start the game (all commands in the .bat file will be executed one after another). You can also define individual dosbox game settings this way.

Hope this helps!

JCat
10-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Is there any file in the game dir that might be write protected? try attrib -r *.* inside the game dir

Thank you for the tip - unfortunately, it didn't work. I have a feeling we can't actually write to the C drive, therefore no saving or creating saves.

iGewappnet
10-29-2010, 03:57 AM
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=A
I think the idea was more about a compatibility list especially for iDOS and the iOS devices. E. g. Doom is listed as supported, but in iDOS on the iPad it is unplayable slow.

starjimstar
10-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Thank you for the tip - unfortunately, it didn't work. I have a feeling we can't actually write to the C drive, therefore no saving or creating saves.

C is writable.

JCat
10-29-2010, 04:23 AM
C is writable.

Yeah, correct - I noticed you can transfer files to it, but I've now tried a second game and when it comes to saving, it gives an error - as if the disc is full or not writeable. Just can't save games to it for some reason.

Link6746
10-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Yeah, correct - I noticed you can transfer files to it, but I've now tried a second game and when it comes to saving, it gives an error - as if the disc is full or not writeable. Just can't save games to it for some reason.

Try allocating freespace equal to 2gbs to the programs logical drive. That's how I've set uo dosbox so that I can install things, maybe it'll help you.

scarypharaoh
10-29-2010, 04:49 AM
So I got discworld installed and it runs great!!! I wish we had better sound drivers in iDOS though, this game has some great sound on sblaster but I only have the crap midi, then again it's better then nothing I guess! :D:D:D

What sound options did you choose after installation? i have installed it and as you say runs perfectly, but no sound, which ones did u choose?:)

Nvm, when i rebooted, the sound was there.:D

ovaltiney
10-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Try allocating freespace equal to 2gbs to the programs logical drive. That's how I've set uo dosbox so that I can install things, maybe it'll help you.
how do i do that can u tell me the command

Reaper1181
10-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1181
When ever I try to run Fallout all I get is "this is a Windows NT windowed executable" anyone else have this problem or know what this means?
Install the game from an iso image: mount it in idos, run "install.exe" in the cd main directory, install in c:\whatever and launch the file "fall.bat" from the game directory

Re Fallout
I don't have the setup or install.exe my only option was fallout.exe. Any ideas what to do with that or find the files your talking about? Also thanks for the quick reply
Just wanted to see if anyone else had an idea of what to do before this comment is lost into oblivion:)

1337brian
10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
What sound options did you choose after installation? i have installed it and as you say runs perfectly, but no sound, which ones did u choose?:)

Nvm, when i rebooted, the sound was there.:D

Ya sorry should have said i got an error first. But after reboot I had sound. Freaking love this game...

Darkus
10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
I've got a Mac Emulator working... (Fusion 3.0)
attempting to run OS7.5 on a Quadra 750 bios.

It appears to be working, just unbearably slow.
Still working with it though...doesn't seem like it'll be worth anything.

twick
10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
I got windows 95 going. Anyone know if its possible to get internet on it?

JLee
10-29-2010, 09:15 AM

I was able to save my game in Space Quest 3 last night.

On another note, I can't believe I just typed that - the last time I played SQ3, I was in junior high! It all came back to me though, I almost felt like I was cheating because I knew what to do... :D

1337brian
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Well I can't get simtower to work, as it says I need to install through windows, I don't know how I can do that. Also I would like some advice installing Kyrandia 3, I got 1,2 installed fine. But 3 is saying no CDrom...

I'm guessing I would have to mount it?... Any help is always appreciated..

BTW Willy Beamish and Discworld are still as awesome today as they were back in the 90's!

Oh yea Oregon trail is cool too, better then the gameloft ver. but I gots no sound :(

JLee
10-29-2010, 09:57 AM
That's wierd, I was just playing Oregon Trail and the sound worked fine...

I was playing it on an iPad

A-0n3
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Reaper,
I have no clue man, I think the "easiest way" is to get the retail version which should have the dos version and thus these install.exe and fall.bat
I've been playing around with the idos settings and it seems promising. After setting the memsize to 64 and the cycles to 9000 the game ran a bit smoothier. But still no sound and still unplayable. I'll try to allocate more disk space on c to install the game completely, it should help. And then perhaps push the memsize further. Do you guys know what's the maximum memsyze we can allocate? I guess it's getting unstable after a certain threshold :/

alkar
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
am I the only one who noticed that windows 95 always freeze whenever I run minesweeper or solitaire after a few seconds ?

JQW
10-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I got windows 95 going. Anyone know if its possible to get internet on it?

There's not a hope of doing that, as DosBox doesn't have any emulation of network devices.

kahdmus
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Never thought i would be able to play this on my iphone 4 ! Yes, it's playable, although sometimes it slows down at 10fps, although for this kind of game, it's fine IMO. And this is with sound enable, i'm sure it's smooth without sound !

For some reason, the intro runs like shit though at 1 fps but in game is fine !

I loved Twinsens Odyssey!!! Haven't even thought about that game in years! :D

twick
10-29-2010, 10:51 AM
There's not a hope of doing that, as DosBox doesn't have any emulation of network devices.

You just crushed my dream of running a couple old school MMO's. Thanks a lot jerk! j/k :p

1337brian
10-29-2010, 10:53 AM
You just crushed my dream of running a couple old school MMO's. Thanks a lot jerk! j/k :p

UO by chance? Yes it's my dream as well...:(

twick
10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
UO by chance? Yes it's my dream as well...:(

YES! lol

http://www.uosecondage.com/ <-- Old Skool

Rhokk
10-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Can anyone check to see if Wing Commander: Privateer works? It's my fav Dos game but was really hard to get it up and running back in the day. Someone posted that they got WingCommanderII working so I have high hopes!! Thanks

1337brian
10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
YES! lol

http://www.uosecondage.com/ <-- Old Skool

Sadly it will never match my middle school days, I remember opening the box for the first time and staring at that cloth map for an hour while it was installing all the patches... Joining my first server and running around in my underwear for days before I started to do anything... I wound up giving my brother my account and he played for about 4-5 years eventually selling the account on ebay for $500+ dollars...

I miss it more then I can explain, but it will never be the same...

markx2
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Got Discworld installed. First run it asked me for the sound setup. Picked Soundblaster Clone, Soundblaster on the 2nd choice. Game started and I had music and speech. Touch controls were off but that was probably something you get used to.
Saved 2 games. Quit the game.
And from there I cannot get the sound config back but more importantly I cannot see a saved game to load. The SG1 and SG2 files are present and timestamped correctly but no file appears in the dialog box.

So sound I can get round but the save game is the deal-breaker. No way can I give the iPad back to the wife with no save. Anyone got save working?

silentcorp
10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Two questions:

Anyone get Ultima Underworld running with any decent speed?

Also, for those of us with jailbroken devices, is there a reason to not use ScummVM over the dosbox emulator? Anyone know which is better? Thanks!

starjimstar
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Two questions:

Anyone get Ultima Underworld running with any decent speed?

Also, for those of us with jailbroken devices, is there a reason to not use ScummVM over the dosbox emulator? Anyone know which is better? Thanks!

1. I haven't tried Ultima Underworld yet but it is on my list.
2. If you are only interested in point and clickers then ScummVM will save you the trouble of editing a config file. You can forget about running Ultima Underworld in ScummVM, however.

Reaper1181
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Reaper,
I have no clue man, I think the "easiest way" is to get the retail version which should have the dos version and thus these install.exe and fall.bat
I've been playing around with the idos settings and it seems promising. After setting the memsize to 64 and the cycles to 9000 the game ran a bit smoothier. But still no sound and still unplayable. I'll try to allocate more disk space on c to install the game completely, it should help. And then perhaps push the memsize further. Do you guys know what's the maximum memsyze we can allocate? I guess it's getting unstable after a certain threshold :/

Thanks very much for the help. Going to find a fallout cd. Good luck getting it to work:D

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I caved and bought Heroes of Might and Magic 2 on GOG.com. Let's hope it works!

Metroplex
10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Still trying to get Daggerfall to install correctly how do you install the huge version? It won't let me for the life of me!

meder87
10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
So I mounted Sim Tower as ISO. When I did Setup.exe it gave me an illegal command win setup.exe. So then I went into the setup director. Ran the Maxis.exe. Says program cannot be run in DOS mode. So pretty much it can only run through windows? If this is the case i'm so disappointed. I was really hoping to play some SIM Tower today.

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Dammit. HoMM2 (the copy I bought on GOG) asks for a CD when I run it :(

Been trying to mount a folder as the D drive but it always tells me the directory I chose doesn't exist :(

Rixx
10-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Sadly it will never match my middle school days, I remember opening the box for the first time and staring at that cloth map for an hour while it was installing all the patches... Joining my first server and running around in my underwear for days before I started to do anything... I wound up giving my brother my account and he played for about 4-5 years eventually selling the account on ebay for $500+ dollars...

Yeah I still have my UO account from launch (September 1997) and I dont play much anymore, but I cant stand to cancel it.

Rixx

aceyprime
10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Dammit. HoMM2 (the copy I bought on GOG) asks for a CD when I run it :(

Been trying to mount a folder as the D drive but it always tells me the directory I chose doesn't exist :(

Try running the no-CD crack on it and then run the following before starting HoMM2. It needs MSCDEX loaded to work so I just mount the root of C:/ (the ~/ below) as a cdrom. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to run at a decent speed. Let us know if you find settings that run it well!

mount d ~/ -t cdrom

DPP13
10-29-2010, 01:28 PM
HAs anyone gotten any web browsers to work in Windows yet?

aceyprime
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Not possible - DOSbox doesn't support network devices.

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Try running the no-CD crack on it and then run the following before starting HoMM2. It needs MSCDEX loaded to work so I just mount the root of C:/ (the ~/ below) as a cdrom. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to run at a decent speed. Let us know if you find settings that run it well!

mount d ~/ -t cdrom

This worked. Do I need to add it to the autoexec line, or is this permanent?

Thanks!

jeandenishaas
10-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the people who research and share their findings!

I don't have time to do all that but to be able to come here and read through what you guys figure out is so helpful and time saving. So far I've only installed demos of Dark Forces and Indy and I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to install Command&Conquer, so I'm not able to really contribute or help out at the moment but I wanted to at least say thanks!

You guys rule!

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the people who research and share their findings!

I don't have time to do all that but to be able to come here and read through what you guys figure out is so helpful and time saving. So far I've only installed demos of Dark Forces and Indy and I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to install Command&Conquer, so I'm not able to really contribute or help out at the moment but I wanted to at least say thanks!

You guys rule!

Don't get too excited, C&C is barely playable. :(

aceyprime
10-29-2010, 01:55 PM
This worked. Do I need to add it to the autoexec line, or is this permanent?

Thanks!

I'd recommend adding it as an autoexec line since it will reset each time.

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 02:07 PM
For a brief recap of everything I managed to run,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/izzynobre/

Only a handful are 100% playable, though

Archimedes
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
iPhone4 + iDos + "core=dynamic" = Crash on startup

Anyone else experiencing this? It's really a shame. Before you ask, I've tried it with all defaults save the core. Afraid I've been down all roads and they all lead to despair. Slight oddity: The app crashes out yet continues to run as a background app. Clicking on iDos in the task-bar simply fires it back up again, Dosbox Logo flickers, and then back out in the cold.

Balu`
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Is there a list of playable games anywhere?

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
One of my followers on twitter claims to have gotten warcraft2 to playable speeds on the iPad. He's sending me the cfg now.

JCat
10-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I was able to save my game in Space Quest 3 last night.

Did you Mount anything whatsoever? Tried 5 games, nothing is able to save within the same folder each game resides (all games in their own folder).

IzzyNobre
10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
iPhone4 + iDos + "core=dynamic" = Crash on startup

Anyone else experiencing this? It's really a shame. Before you ask, I've tried it with all defaults save the core. Afraid I've been down all roads and they all lead to despair. Slight oddity: The app crashes out yet continues to run as a background app. Clicking on iDos in the task-bar simply fires it back up again, Dosbox Logo flickers, and then back out in the cold.

Yep, dynamic will always make it crash upon "boot".

ikemike
10-29-2010, 02:59 PM
How can I get "The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall" to either 1. ignore the fact that the CD is not inserted or 2. read the folder "dfcd" as being in the cdrom drive?

Vorpal Blade
10-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I am able to save and load games in both Star Control 2 and Willy Beamish using the in game menus so far. I know Star control puts the save files in the same folder as the game. I guess willy does to.

kahdmus
10-29-2010, 03:04 PM

EXACTLY how I feel!! :)

Yeah I still have my UO account from launch (September 1997) and I dont play much anymore, but I cant stand to cancel it.

Rixx

Has it really been that long..?

JLee
10-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you Mount anything whatsoever? Tried 5 games, nothing is able to save within the same folder each game resides (all games in their own folder).

Nope - I have the same set-up, each of my games is in its own folder (e.g. SQ3, KG2, etc.), and when I want to play one I just change to that folder directory and type the command for the BAT, EXE or COM that is needed to start the game.

I did the save through the menu bar in game (I couldn't remember which key or combo was save, but if you hit ESC in the game it opens up a top menu) and it worked just fine.

JCat
10-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Nope - I have the same set-up, each of my games is in its own folder (e.g. SQ3, KG2, etc.), and when I want to play one I just change to that folder directory and type the command for the BAT, EXE or COM that is needed to start the game.

I did the save through the menu bar in game (I couldn't remember which key or combo was save, but if you hit ESC in the game it opens up a top menu) and it worked just fine.

OK thanks - actually that helps, because I think now the best option is to remove & reinstall.

discoveryzone
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
First Post.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/vfxs20.jpg

Self explanatory. For the cache, this is Microsoft Word on iPad.

And I haven't read all these pages but I'm sure others are downloading/installing programs without a second computer via iFile and stuff. Thanks for having me, I hope to be a good member of this community!

Stirolak26
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Whydid it take so lpng to type? Because of the ackward keyboard or the program itself was always that bad? Did people actually use Microsoft word back in the dos days? What was the point when writing on paper seems so much easier?

JLee
10-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Whydid it take so lpng to type? Because of the ackward keyboard or the program itself was always that bad? Did people actually use Microsoft word back in the dos days? What was the point when writing on paper seems so much easier?

We didn't have a typewriter, and my teachers wanted typed papers, so I had to type it out on our computer. We didn't have Word, though, we had a different program, can't remember the name off the top of my head...

JLee
10-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it was wordperfect for DOS. If I remember right, our first computer was a 386 with 2 or 4MB of RAM and a whopping 20MB hard drive!

Typing wasn't bad, it was the printing that sucked...

1337brian
10-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Cosmnecron your msg box is full, PM me ur email and I'll sen the text file I made. It's nowhere near done yet but should get you up and running...

Epox
10-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I am noob so please tell me how do i add more games to iDos and run them.

Habakuk
10-29-2010, 05:23 PM
am I the only one who noticed that windows 95 always freeze whenever I run minesweeper or solitaire after a few seconds ?

No. Should run fine. Delete your w95.img and get a new copy from iTunes/filesharing. W95 messes up easily.

Yes but only with local files. Scroll down there a bit:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1383220&postcount=899

I am noob so please tell me how do i add more games to iDos and run them.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1380796&postcount=661

Metroplex
10-29-2010, 08:48 PM
So can anyone help me please! Every game I've tried to run with te exception of c&c won't run even though there has been proof that they will play. And I'm talking about Warcraft 1 and 2 and daggerfall.

kuluman
10-29-2010, 09:24 PM
ok, I got Daggerfall to run. It's a slideshow, obviously, unplayable, but it's amazing to see it actually load on my ipod touch. I haven't tinkered with the settings yet to see if i can make it run a little smoother, but again, it's amazing to see this actually run. The sounds wokrs perfectly though!

Metroplex
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
^^
how? Step by step instruction would be nice!

Amalah
10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey, I'm trying to get the old text adventure Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy running, but all it consists of is a .Z3 file called HHGG.Z3.

How do I get dos to run a .Z3 file, when I type in it's name I just get "Illegal Command".

Also in this next game, what is the symbol between "HOBBIT" and "1". It's too tiny to see so I don't know what to type.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/Lunamira/Miscellanious/IMG_1871.png

Any help is appreciated.

meder87
10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Got Sim Tower working for iDos. But it runs really slow unfortuately http://i53.tinypic.com/2yxm73p.png

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey, I'm trying to get the old text adventure Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy running, but all it consists of is a .Z3 file called HHGG.Z3.

How do I get dos to run a .Z3 file, when I type in it's name I just get "Illegal Command".

Also in this next game, what is the symbol between "HOBBIT" and "1". It's too tiny to see so I don't know what to type.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/Lunamira/Miscellanious/IMG_1871.png

Any help is appreciated.

The symbol you are looking for is a tilde, ie the squiglly line you will see on the upper left of your keyboard. You'll have to press the FN key in iDos for the tilde to appear. If a folder had a long name in DOS, the file structure required it to be abbreviated thus the first part of the folder name and "...~1". A second folder with that name would be "...~2", etc.

Amalah
10-29-2010, 10:08 PM
The symbol you are looking for is a tilde, ie the squiglly line you will see on the upper left of your keyboard. You'll have to press the FN key in iDos for the tilde to appear. If a folder had a long name in DOS, the file structure required it to be abbreviated thus the first part of the folder name and "...~1". A second folder with that name would be "...~2", etc.

Thank you so much! :)

Any ideas about the Z3 file? :p

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Yep. :) Since the .Z files aren't executables you need to find a reader for them. It looks like there are a few on this site, however it's been a long time since I messed with any Infocom games so I don't know how good they are.

Amalah
10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Yep. :) Since the .Z files aren't executables you need to find a reader for them. It looks like there are a few on this site, however it's been a long time since I messed with any Infocom games so I don't know how good they are.

Thanks, I'll have a look around. :D

Amalah
10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Hmm, I think I have Dos Frotz up and running now for the Z3 file. Everything is unzipped. Just need to figure out where to put the Z3 file or how to execute it. :confused:

Does it have to be inside a folder in the Frotz directory or something?

Duke Floss
10-29-2010, 10:46 PM
been playing Secret Agent, Biomenace, and Commander Keen religiously on this app (jailbroken version). This is quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen on a handheld device. Takes me back to installing Blake Stone on my old 386 computer with a 100 meg hard drive and something like 4 megs of ram. :p

starjimstar
10-29-2010, 10:48 PM

DOS Frotz (http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/dos.html)

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Hmm, I think I have Dos Frotz up and running now for the Z3 file. Everything is unzipped. Just need to figure out where to put the Z3 file or how to execute it. :confused:

Does it have to be inside a folder in the Frotz directory or something?

What does it say when you run the Frotz EXE file? Did you try entering it as "C:\...\Frotz.exe HHGG.Z3" ?

Wow, I just realized that I didn't even put the link in my previous reply! Sorry about that but you seem to have found them easily enough. http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/dos.html for anyone else who was wondering.

Amalah
10-29-2010, 11:11 PM
What does it say when you run the Frotz EXE file? Did you try entering it as "C:\...\Frotz.exe HHGG.Z3" ?

Wow, I just realized that I didn't even put the link in my previous reply! Sorry about that but you seem to have found them easily enough. http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/dos.html for anyone else who was wondering.

Well I have the file in the frotz directory at the moment so I type:

"C:\frotz\frotz.exe hhgg.z3"

And it says this:

"Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"

I had a zip file called csdpmi4b.zip which I have already unzipped, this made two new directories "manifest" and "bin".

Bin contains:

CWSDPMI.doc
CWSDPMI.exe
CWSDPR0.exe
CWSPARAM.doc
CWSPARAM.exe

Manifest contains:

CSDPMI4B.mft
CSDPMI4B.ver

I have no idea what to do with all this. I'm a total newb.

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 11:16 PM
"Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"

From the text file that comes with Frotz
"Q: Why do I get the error:
Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip?
A: You don't have a DPMI server installed, and DJGPP v2 requires it
to run. You can either use one of the commercial DPMI servers (e.g.,
run Frotz in a DOS box from Windows) or install CWSDPMI from
CSDPMI4B.ZIP (included in this distribution) which is a free DPMI
server written for DJGPP."

So it looks like you need to run at least one of the EXEs in the bin directory first but I am not sure which. However you have inspired me to sync my iPod and figure this out! :P

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 11:27 PM

So it looks like you need to run at least one of the EXEs in the bin directory first but I am not sure which. However you have inspired me to sync my iPod and figure this out! :P

OK, got it working! First go into the C:\Frotz\Bin\ directory and run CWSDPMI.exe. Then type "cd.." to go back to the main frotz directory and type "frotz.exe hhgg,z3" It should come up with a blue screen and grey text just like the good old days.

Amalah
10-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Lol, didn't know it came with an faq. :o

Hope you can figure this out. :p

Amalah
10-29-2010, 11:28 PM
OK, got it working! First go into the C:\Frotz\Bin\ directory and run CWSDPMI.exe. Then type "cd.." to go back to the main frotz directory and type "frotz.exe hhgg,z3" It should come up with a blue screen and grey text just like the good old days.

Awesome, will try it now. :)

Amalah
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Yay it worked! You're a wonderful helpful bunch of people in here. :)

KoolKing
10-29-2010, 11:34 PM

No problem. Now I just hope you aren't opposed to using a walkthrough because this game is known as being very unrelenting on the player.

And since I've come this far, it looks like you have to run CWSDPMI.exe each and every time. Even it you quit and immediately try to run Frotz again, it will give you the error message. Also, saving and restoring works without a hitch.

Amalah
10-29-2010, 11:40 PM
No problem. Now I just hope you aren't opposed to using a walkthrough because this game is known as being very unrelenting on the player.

And since I've come this far, it looks like you have to run CWSDPMI.exe each and every time. Even it you quit and immediately try to run Frotz again, it will give you the error message. Also, saving and restoring works without a hitch.

I know, I used to play when I was really little, only ever remember getting 5 or 10 mins into the game each time I played. :D

This time I'm determined to progress, but I won't be opposed to looking at the odd hint if I'm really really stuck. :p

Hmm, now Frotz is up and running it would be a shame to only have one game for it. I'll see what other Infocom games I can lay my hands on. :)

Rhokk
10-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Privateer... anyone try running it yet?

iGewappnet
10-30-2010, 05:15 AM
But I hope you know that there is a free brilliant native Frotz app for iPhone and iPad in the App Store. Therefore I think it is pretty senseless to use DOS Frotz within iDOS.

Haephestos
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Anyone able to explain how to get fallout 1 running on here? I have the jailbreak DOSBOX beta version if that makes any difference.

JCat
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Got Discworld installed. First run it asked me for the sound setup. Picked Soundblaster Clone, Soundblaster on the 2nd choice. Game started and I had music and speech. Touch controls were off but that was probably something you get used to.
Saved 2 games. Quit the game.
And from there I cannot get the sound config back but more importantly I cannot see a saved game to load. The SG1 and SG2 files are present and timestamped correctly but no file appears in the dialog box.

So sound I can get round but the save game is the deal-breaker. No way can I give the iPad back to the wife with no save. Anyone got save working?

Same problem here- I think people are just firing up different games and posting results "this works", "that works" - but I'm not sure if anyone is actually saving games. Most of my attempts to save resulted in an error -- like an I/O error, and the rest would appear as those they are saving - but when you do a restore, nothing was ever saved...
game starts from beginning.

Also can't create character discs for games that assume you are creating it on your C:\ drive. If someone saved AND loaded a game where they actually left off, I'd love to know about it, along with any special configurations.

TouchChatterbox
10-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Kings Quest 5 is one game I've been able to save and restore successfully in. I assume this would be standard with others.

bigwinnerx
10-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Tried to install Dark Forces. Got all the way to the Loading Mission screen and it hung. Anyone else try and succeed? Guessing it's a setting.

JCat
10-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Maybe someone could do me a favor and try out Questron 2? It's freeware ...originally from SSI. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/cMReZp

When the game asks where you're playing from, choose #3 (hard disk c). Once at the title page, choose "create new character", and see if it proceeds.
Oh, the .exe is Start

Thanks

Habakuk
10-30-2010, 06:30 AM
No way can I give the iPad back to the wife with no save. Anyone got save working?

Same problem here-… If someone saved AND loaded a game where they actually left off, I'd love to know about it, along with any special configurations.

That was easy. I got Discworld from here:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/878/Discworld.html

According to…

http://www.glennsguides.com/2007/11/discworld-download-install-guide.html
(other than that it describes how to install DOSBox and Discworld on WinXP, maybe some useful info for us nonetheless)

…this copy has no speech sound, but music (MIDI?) works as well as inside discworld "Save this game" after F1 (didn't need to create a folder SAVE as described in the link above, it was already there as far as I remember). And F1, "Load a game" works fine too (tried that two or three times). Touchmouse (needs maybe some seconds to work at the first time after game launch, later on flawless), double click, frames per second, all okay. Get more info on game items with CTRL key, love the great humour of the comic game (nicely animated point and click adventure puzzle). No special configuration.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8281/discworldloadgame.png

Okay step by step once more: Downloaded the folder Discworld (20.3 MB), Mac OS X decompresses (unzips) automatically, so I made a zip file (context menue right click — "Compress" or "Make archive"—having a German-language SL I don't know the exact expression in English) again manually, renamed it to less than eight characters dw.zip (never mix up upper and lower case characters here) and uploaded dw.zip via iTunes/Filesharing/USB to iPad/iDOS.

iDOS: C:\>unzip dw.zip (well that's faster than flying windows) created automatically a new folder DISCWO~1. Went inside and run install.exe. This created automatically a new directory DISCWLD on C:. Don't remember exactly but I think I run config.bat, disc.bat (seems to do nothing but obviously "calls sound drivers") and then finally dwb.exe (inside DISCWLD) to play. Needs about 30 sec to start with all intro screens on iPad.

When you want to fiddle around a bit more (that's half of the DOS game): Best copy the complete DISCWLD folder (created by iPad) to your Mac or PC and open/edit all those config.bat, disc.bat, DRIVERS\isound.bat etc. with TextEdit p.e. Tell us your progress please.

Hyper modern and living computer museum in your shirt pocket!

tblrsa
10-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Yep, dynamic will always make it crash upon "boot".

Only on non jailbroken devices for some strange reason.

Amalah
10-30-2010, 07:40 AM
But I hope you know that there is a free brilliant native Frotz app for iPhone and iPad in the App Store. Therefore I think it is pretty senseless to use DOS Frotz within iDOS.

Saves an icon space. :p

Same reason I don't get individual ebook applications when I can get most of them in stanza.

nnox77
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone, sorry I use a translator because I'm french ... There is no tutorial in french ... So I come here to ask for help^^.

I managed to put Windows 3.1 on my 3gs but Windows 95 does not work :/
-->
Lauching Windows 95
Could not load image file
Check that the patch is correct and the image is accessible
Opening image file c:\w95.img
Image file is read-only! Might create problems
booting from drive A ...
Error loading operating system

Can you help me? I seem to have well put all the files

nnox77.

marco76
10-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone..
can help me and others users with a list of best sites for iDOS games?

Thank you for any reply..

Have a nice day and happy halloween

Gwarmaxx
10-30-2010, 09:32 AM
hey guys, can you tell me how to delete the zip files from the dir on DOS or from the iDOS inside iTunes?
thanks!

Amalah
10-30-2010, 09:37 AM
hey guys, can you tell me how to delete the zip files from the dir on DOS or from the iDOS inside iTunes?
thanks!

In the file sharing section you can highlight the item and press the delete key on your keyboard.

In iDos from within the correct directory (the one the item is in) just type "del (file to be deleted)". For example:

del dizzy3.zip

iGewappnet
10-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Saves an icon space. :p

Same reason I don't get individual ebook applications when I can get most of them in stanza.
I am completely with you on this, but the Frotz app is way better than the emulated DOS Frotz.

thewiirocks
10-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Same problem here- I think people are just firing up different games and posting results "this works", "that works" - but I'm not sure if anyone is actually saving games. Most of my attempts to save resulted in an error -- like an I/O error, and the rest would appear as those they are saving - but when you do a restore, nothing was ever saved...
game starts from beginning.

I've successfully created saves in most of the games I've played. Especially the Space Quest series. Talk about the most difficult point and click adventure ever...

(Quite possibly the only point and click adventure to toss in half a gazillion ways to kill your character.)

Save and restore is an integral part of the SQ games. They would be unplayable without it.

KoolKing
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Actually, the Frotz app doesn't allow you to add games other than the ones that come packed in, last I checked. So using iDos does help for games like HHGG.

Edit: And it appears I am wrong. Looks like you can but have to use a FTP client.

Gwarmaxx
10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
In the file sharing section you can highlight the item and press the delete key on your keyboard.

In iDos from within the correct directory (the one the item is in) just type "del (file to be deleted)". For example:

del dizzy3.zip

thanks a lot Amalah!

Amalah
10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
thanks a lot Amalah!

No problem, somebody else told me earlier.

The only thing I've actually been able to help anybody with in here. xD

discoveryzone
10-30-2010, 11:36 AM

It's the awkward keyboard.

doodlejumper
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm really confused on how all this works. Do you go to sites and pull games to iTunes?

Habakuk
10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm really confused on how all this works. Do you go to sites and pull games to iTunes?

Step by step guides:

Install & play Epic Pinball Android table:

Install & play Discworld:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1386952&postcount=1117

W3.1, W95

MisterEd
10-30-2010, 12:55 PM

I see someone already posted some explanations. But here's an additional walkthrough in a nutshell:

* Download a game from an abandonware site to your computer. Older, simpler games have a better chance of running easily.
* You will need the game to be in a zip file. If your comp automatically unzips it you will have to compress it back to .zip. Rename the file to a short abbreviation. For instance if your file is kingsquest1.zip, I suggest renaming it kq1.zip.
* Open iTunes and highlight your idevice, then apps and scroll down to filesharing and highlight idos. Drag your zip files to the idos field. If your idevice is jailbroken this part of the process is probably different.
* Run idos on your idevice. Type the following at the prompt
C:\>md kq1
C:\>copy kq1.zip \kq1
C:\>cd kq1
C:\>kq1\unzip kq1.zip
C:\>kq1\dir/p
This will bring up a list of all the files in the games directory. You will look for exe files such as install.exe, or run.exe, or Sierra.exe. You may have to install first and sort out the sound options. No sound always makes things easier but you can usually get sound to work too.
C:\>kq1\sierra
And enjoy.

Troubleshooting:
-Ctrl F11/F12 toggles the cycles up and down. The default is 3000 but most older games run best at around 2000. Switching too rapidly can crash things.
-Ctrl F7/F8 toggles frame skip.
-Alt F12 toggles a "turbo mode" but I haven't had stellar results with this yet.
-If a game requires a cd drive input
C:\>mount d ~/ -t cdrom
-For more help input
C:\>intro
C:\>help/all

doodlejumper
10-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Step by step guides:

Install & play Epic Pinball Android table:

Install & play Discworld:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1386952&postcount=1117

W3.1, W95

What if you're on a PC? I just installed Mario and Rayman, and both show up as exe files.

Rixx
10-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe someone could do me a favor and try out Questron 2? It's freeware ...originally from SSI. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/cMReZp

When the game asks where you're playing from, choose #3 (hard disk c). Once at the title page, choose "create new character", and see if it proceeds.
Oh, the .exe is Start

Thanks

Questron seems fine, I can create character, walk around, fight monsters, buy from shops, etc.

Rixx

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0202.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0203.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0204.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0205.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0206.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0207.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0208.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0209.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0210.png

http://yellott.com/ipod/IMG_0211.png

David7
10-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Does anybody have recommended dosbox.conf settings to get games running really fast? Also, does turning off sound (significantly) increase speed?

Rixx
10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Does anybody have recommended dosbox.conf settings to get games running really fast? Also, does turning off sound (significantly) increase speed?

From what I can tell, if the game is using pc speaker for sound, it runs fine. Of course, pc speaker sound is crap, but HEY WE WERE HAPPY DAMN IT! hehe
Other sound emulations are more processor heavy, Adlib (music only), Soundblaster, Soundblaster Pro, etc, each taking more processing.

Your mileage may vary. :)

Good luck!

Currently I'm running this file for ones that use the dos4gw type memory manager:

[dosbox]

[sblaster]
#sbtype=none

[render]
frameskip=0

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
#rate=22050
#blocksize=8192
prebuffer=100

[midi]
mpu401=none
mididevice=none

[speaker]
#pcspeaker=false

[render]
scaler=none

jeandenishaas
10-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm reading through all the pages here but I'm not done yet, so this might be redundant information. But a lot of times when I start a DOS game on my iPad the graphics are messed up and the sound skips. I then use Alt+Return to change the aspect ratio and that fixes it. Using "force ratio" in the settings menu doesn't fix this start up problem.
I also have moments where not one game will start anymore. What helped was to lower the CPU cycles to the thousands before starting the game (like Castlevania for instance).

And in response to the Dark Forces question:

I haven't installed the full version yet, but the demo worked for me. My settings are:

[dosbox]
memsize=16
[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
[render]
frameskip=2
aspect=normal
scaler=none

So far I've been pretty successful with demos like The Dig, Fate of Atlantis, etc.

David7
10-30-2010, 02:55 PM
From what I can tell, if the game is using pc speaker for sound, it runs fine. Of course, pc speaker sound is crap, but HEY WE WERE HAPPY DAMN IT! hehe
Other sound emulations are more processor heavy, Adlib (music only), Soundblaster, Soundblaster Pro, etc, each taking more processing.

Your mileage may vary. :)

Good luck!

Currently I'm running this file for ones that use the dos4gw type memory manager:

[dosbox]

[sblaster]
#sbtype=none

[render]
frameskip=0

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
#rate=22050
#blocksize=8192
prebuffer=100

[midi]
mpu401=none
mididevice=none

[speaker]
#pcspeaker=false

[render]
scaler=none

Thank you. I can actually play games at a reasonable speed now. Heroes Of Might and Magic works well with those settings, if anyone cares to know.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5213/20872338.jpg

:)

JCat
10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Questron seems fine, I can create character, walk around, fight monsters, buy from shops, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to do that! Yeah, I think I know what's going on now, after getting a tip from Habakuk (<thanks!) and the actual developer in the dospad forum:

It appears most people are using file sharing (dragging the file to idos in itunes), and I've been manually sending them over the var/mobile/documents file. In a nutshell, it needs permissions. Thanks again guys

Habakuk
10-30-2010, 03:08 PM
What if you're on a PC?

The same thing. When you've got uncompressed folders, zip them, shorten the filename and don't mix upper and lower case letters. Transfer to iDevice, unzip there.

I just installed Mario and Rayman, and both show up as exe files.

Installed? You mean you have them on iPad/iDOS? Create a folder, put the exe inside and try to launch it. Some exe file is nothing more than a zipped folder with an unzip routine inside (launches when executed).

For all who are not common with DOS commands, get freeware "DOS navigator" then you can use touchmouse:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1378878&postcount=200

* You will need the game to be in a zip file.

Because you cant transfer folders via USB/iTunes/Filesharing to iPad/iDOS.

If your comp automatically unzips it you will have to compress it back to .zip.

Most of the games come in a (as a) folder. It's a folder (directory) what you compress on Mac/PC (an "archive" in Apple speak).

C:\>md kq1
C:\>copy kq1.zip \kq1

You don't need to make a directory and copy the zip into it because the compressed archive decompresses into a folder by itself. You should know if you compressed a folder (directory) or a single file with your Mac/PC first.

-For more help input
C:\>intro

Strange: Works on iPhone 4 (iOS 4.1) here but not on iPad (iOS 3.2.2; "illegal command"), both never jb.

jac2982
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
How is everyone editing the dosbox config?

Somerandomdude
10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Anyone get Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet working at a reasonable speed? It lags quite a bit on my iPod 2G (then again, all games seem to do that except for maybe Wasteland), and I get this weird clicking noise the entire time I'm playing. And I still can't figure out the game's confusing controls.

Also, anyone get Monolith Blood working? I put it in the iPod and ran it but it doesn't seem to work. It stays at the little DOS4GW thing with a blinking underscore like something's supposed to happen.

EDIT: Just got Call of Cthulhu working at full speed... I cranked down the cycles to 278 and everything's running fine now.

TommyIII
10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/ipad730/f63e8a4a.png

David7
10-30-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm using iFile, but I think (tentatively) that any type of text editor will work. If you aren't jailbroken, I don't know if/how you can change it though.

TommyIII
10-30-2010, 03:25 PM
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/ipad730/f60f4e69.png

starjimstar
10-30-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm using iFile, but I think (tentatively) that any type of text editor will work. If you aren't jailbroken, I don't know if/how you can change it though.

TextEdit or Notepad both work just fine. No need to be jailbroken.

doodlejumper
10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Installed? You mean you have them on iPad/iDOS? Create a folder, put the exe inside and try to launch it. Some exe file is nothing more than a zipped folder with an unzip routine inside (launches when executed).

No, I installed them to my computer and they're EXE files. They go on my iPod but I know I have to make them .zip files to play them, but don't know how to. has anyone else gotten Mario or Rayman to install? Please post instructions. :)

Pibroch
10-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Downloaded iDos and am running Windows 3.1 -- downloaded W95.img - for some reason it will not "imgmount". I'm fluent in DOS - is this just something that might not be in my PATH? Where are these utilities stored?

skyperion
10-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Downloaded iDos and am running Windows 3.1 -- downloaded W95.img - for some reason it will not "imgmount". I'm fluent in DOS - is this just something that might not be in my PATH? Where are these utilities stored?

I had problems with this as well. Is DOS giving you any error messages and how are you transfering the img file to your Iphone?

Thanks,

Skyperion

Habakuk
10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
No, I installed them to my computer and they're EXE files. They go on my iPod but I know I have to make them .zip files to play them, but don't know how to.

You only have to make .zip files when the game is a folder (directory) because iDOS can't transfer folders (you can't choose folders in iTunes/Filesharing—only single files).

So just transfer the .exe to iDOS, create a folder there, put the .exe inside and try to launch it. Good luck!

Habakuk
10-30-2010, 04:36 PM

There were already hints how to edit on Mac/PC. But you can edit it very well directly in iDOS with pedit (freeware).
http://www.goldshell.com/pedit/

Sound Club

Great! Thanks for the hint. It's worth installing alone for popcorn.sn (demo file inside) in full stereo (use headphones). Go to setup and choose Soundblaster Pro. Well that's retro feeling! Nice mouse cursors. (Zzzz…)

Sound Club full version seems to be freeware. I got it from there (developer's site) and it works flawlessly. (But don't look for a play triangle.)

http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scdos/index.html

JCat
10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
idos and me are just not meant to be. lol

After going through hell trying to figure out why my games were not saving, I was informed to use the file sharing option from itunes to transfer the games (was originally using ssh to manually transfer).

Well, now I don't if it's because I am on a PC, or because it's the Cydia download of the program, but I can't transfer anything to the dospad section itunes file sharing. Tried everything -the single exe, tried a simple all lower case zip file, even a txt file. Nothing appears on the right side drop box when you drag and drop.

Also, the file I have seems to be called dospad beta, not idos and it came with digger.exe and mario.exe - not the pac-man game. This is the file that we are told to download though, so it's all confusing.

EDIT: Problem Solved - downloaded ifile from cydia (thanks litchie) and turned on write permissions to a folder I named, and popped the games in there. Still wish I can go through itunes but beggars can't be choosey.

Coops58
10-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Has anyone been able to get fallout 1 to run at a decent speed? If so could you post your config settings and anything special you did? I installed it but it runs extremely slow and crashes before I can start a game.

TommyIII
10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
So after reading this whole thread, I came to the conclusion that the future of the human race is doomed. With all the information you guys "the lazy crybabies" have at your disposal ie: wikpedia google YouTube. You have the nerve to cry and complain "how do I"?
I'm ashamed for you.

TommyIII
10-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Great! Thanks for the hint. It's worth installing alone for popcorn.sn (demo file inside) in full stereo (use headphones). Go to setup and choose Soundblaster Pro. Well that's retro feeling! Nice mouse cursors. (Zzzz…)

Sound Club full version seems to be freeware. I got it from there (developer's site) and it works flawlessly. (But don't look for a play triangle.)

http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scdos/index.html

This is the type of people I associate myself with. Yes it's a real good app and runs real good. You are welcome.

Rixx
10-30-2010, 06:08 PM
To make my life simpler, even though I am a long time DOS user, I am using Dos Navigator. Works great.

I take each game, for example telengard, and make a directory(folder) called telen.
I put all the game files in there, and then zip it (zip the directory to make telen.zip) and drop it in the app area for iDOS in iTunes.

In iDOS, I unzip telen.zip, which makes a telen directory off of the root of C.

If it runs ok, I move it to my games directory (using DN).

If not, it gets deleted.

It takes a few seconds to make the directory and zip it, but if your consistent it makes your DOS life easier on the iDOS side.

Since I am using an ipod touch, I don't have the easily accessible keyboard of the ipad.

Good Luck

Rixx

jeffy777
10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Pirates! Gold works. Finally some Sid Meier's Pirates on an iDevice. This app is great. The keyboard is a little finicky unfortunately. Hopefully Apple doesn't pull the app before we get a few performance updates.

Pirates Gold is awesome. I really loved that game back in the old days. However, I tried it on iDos and it didn't run very well. Maybe it runs smoother with sound disabled or something?

I tried the original Pirates and it runs smooth, but I'd really like to get Gold running better because the graphics are a lot better.

Rixx
10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
TextEdit or Notepad both work just fine. No need to be jailbroken.

And the text editor in DN works fine to make changes inside iDOS as needed.

Just copy each config to its own file as a backup.

If you have a dospad.cfg for windows 31 save it as dospad.31 for example.

With DN its quick to copy back over the current dospad.cfg with whichever you want to change to.

Or make a few batch files to make the copying even quicker if you do a lot of config swapping.

Then drop back to the apple launcher, pull up the mutitasking tab, delete the iDOS running module, then re-run iDOS.

Only way I've found to reboot the dos consistently.

Rixx
10-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I tried Pirates! Gold, but it didn't run very well. I really loved that game back in the old days. Maybe it runs smoother with sound disabled or something?

Try the config file I posted a few posts back, see if that helps the speed.

Rixx

KoolKing
10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I tried Pirates! Gold, but it didn't run very well. I really loved that game back in the old days. Maybe it runs smoother with sound disabled or something?

When I first wrote that reply I was caught up in the excitement that it ran at all and didn't test very far into the game. On the default settings the opening runs fine and the character selection wors but once you get to the fight it slows to a crawl. I have since changed my config file to reflect the settings in this (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1379743&postcount=484) post except with "core=normal". The game will run at full speed with sound but you may have to reduce the cycles a little with Alt F11. The only noticeable lag is when you change settings (like going from the tavern to the main town). The music will start immediately but the graphics will be a black screen for just a couple of seconds. I can't recall off hand but it was probably like this in the original game anyways.

Funnily enough I cannot get the original version of Pirates! to run well. The game plays at full speed but once you get to the town all the text disappears from the screen. Strange.

jeffy777
10-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Rixx

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

jeffy777
10-30-2010, 06:23 PM
When I first wrote that reply I was caught up in the excitement that it ran at all and didn't test very far into the game. On the default settings the opening runs fine and the character selection wors but once you get to the fight it slows to a crawl. I have since changed my config file to reflect the settings in this (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1379743&postcount=484) post except with "core=normal". The game will run at full speed with sound but you may have to reduce the cycles a little with Alt F11. The only noticeable lag is when you change settings (like going from the tavern to the main town). The music will start immediately but the graphics will be a black screen for just a couple of seconds. I can't recall off hand but it was probably like this in the original game anyways.

Funnily enough I cannot get the original version of Pirates! to run well. The game plays at full speed but once you get to the town all the text disappears from the screen. Strange.

Sounds good, I'll try that. Thanks man. This is one of the best games of all time.

KoolKing
10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Sounds good, I'll try that. Thanks man. This is one of the best games of all time.

No problem. It's my favorite game. I was hoping after Civ Rev they might make an official port on the iOS. When I woke up and saw iDos the other day Pirates and Gold were the first games I thought of trying. :)

starjimstar
10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
And the text editor in DN works fine to make changes inside iDOS as needed.

Just copy each config to its own file as a backup.

If you have a dospad.cfg for windows 31 save it as dospad.31 for example.

With DN its quick to copy back over the current dospad.cfg with whichever you want to change to.

Or make a few batch files to make the copying even quicker if you do a lot of config swapping.

Then drop back to the apple launcher, pull up the mutitasking tab, delete the iDOS running module, then re-run iDOS.

That's all fine and good if you don't mind making changes on the tiny keyboard. ;)

GlennX
10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Populous 2 works! It runs too fast by default though. Populous (1) does not work it seems.

The version of Populous I found works OK. Yet to try Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper and I'm still looking for backups of some old Bullfrog prototype stuff.

By the way, it is possible to run Dospad on a non-jailbroken device if you're a registered developer. The source is available and builds with zero hassle...

thewiirocks
10-30-2010, 08:25 PM

I had problems with this as well. Is DOS giving you any error messages and how are you transfering the img file to your Iphone?

The number one mistake I've seen with imgmount is that users will edit their path and forget to include the z:\ drive in their path. No z:\ drive, no imgmount. There are two possible solutions:

1. Change your set path command to include z:\. e.g. set PATH=c:\DOS;z:\

2. Use an absolute path for your command. e.g. z:\imgmount.exe d WIN95.IMG

If that still doesn't work, post a screenshot of your error message and we'll see what we can do to help. :-)

Haephestos
10-31-2010, 01:25 AM
I can't get files to transfer to it via iTunes. I am running the DOSPAD beta if that would make any difference?

THFourteen
10-31-2010, 01:29 AM

Rixx

Your config's working great for me mate thanks!

I upped frameskip to 1 and added sb16 and xms memory.

Police Quest VGA and all Eye of the beholders working grand.

Is there a way to make the mouse move to where you point rather than having to drag it? Like splashtop remote does?

marco76
10-31-2010, 02:13 AM
Hi guys,
if i need to remove a game from iDOS can me explain the steps?
thank again

Haephestos
10-31-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't get windows 95 to boot after the install here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1383220&postcount=899
I get a "drive already mounted at that letter" and then "error loading operating system". Any help would be appreciated.

nnox77
10-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Can you help me please?

http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/57/88/97/img_0410.png

Rixx
10-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Hi guys,
if i need to remove a game from iDOS can me explain the steps?
thank again

Just delete it. (I know if your not a dos guru that thats not so simple).

Run DOS Navigator, freeware, posted early in the thread.

Its really slick, and makes file management a breeze.

Link6746
10-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Okay, now have the jailbroken version and trying to put a 900+ mb zip file on it. no idea how.

(using the latest beta, have windows, and itunes isn't accepting the 903 mb zip file.)

--Edit: Now have checked the D:\ directory, since I'm using the beta. it's empty save the things that are in C:\

skyperion
10-31-2010, 05:55 AM
Can you help me please?

How are you transferring the img file to your Iphone? I had problems with the image being corrupted as I was using Iphonebrowser. I transferred win95.img using itunes and then idos was able to read the img file. You may want to give that a try.

Skyperion.

Stirolak26
10-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Hey guys the original pics from this thread are a thing of beauty. A pure memory now that we will yearn for years to come. Something "that could have been" if apple allowed it to mature and continue and improve in speed, compability, etc.

litchie
10-31-2010, 06:20 AM
I can't get files to transfer to it via iTunes. I am running the DOSPAD beta if that would make any difference?

DOSPAD beta's itunes file sharing directory is mounted as disk D. Sorry not making it obvious. It is buried in the release notes..

nnox77
10-31-2010, 07:26 AM
skyperion > thank you, his works

skyperion
10-31-2010, 07:39 AM
skyperion > thank you, his works

No Problem, glad it helped:)

craigwatson
10-31-2010, 08:37 AM
I had the same problem until I went into WinSCP and changed the permissions on the w95.img file to 777
As soon as I did that we were good to go

thewiirocks
10-31-2010, 09:57 AM
DOSPAD beta's itunes file sharing directory is mounted as disk D. Sorry not making it obvious. It is buried in the release notes..

To clarify, litchie is saying to use a different drive letter. i.e. If you're using "imgmount d c:\win95.img" try "imgmount e c:\win95.img" instead. Then replace the reference to d: in the boot command with e:. That should get you up and going.

jak56
10-31-2010, 10:48 AM
k, so just got the game (nope, not jailbroken- thanks litchie!)
no idea how to start up. can anyone tell me how to get uh, rayman on for example?

Mindfield
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, Betrayal at Krondor works, and actually works pretty well with a playable frame rate and full sound. It's heavily mouse-based when it comes to interaction so playing it will give your arms a little exercise, but at least it's fully playable.

Habakuk
10-31-2010, 01:30 PM
k, so just got the game (nope, not jailbroken- thanks litchie!)
no idea how to start up. can anyone tell me how to get uh, rayman on for example?

The same way like those games (with DOS commands):

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1387412&postcount=1131

And install Dos Navigator first

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1378878&postcount=200

then you can click the touchmouse in iDOS.

Well, Betrayal at Krondor works.

Thanks for the hint I'll give it a try.

IzzyNobre
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-Nchig3Bk

jeffy777
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
No problem. It's my favorite game. I was hoping after Civ Rev they might make an official port on the iOS. When I woke up and saw iDos the other day Pirates and Gold were the first games I thought of trying. :)

Pirates Gold definitely runs better with the config, but the sword fights are still very slow and the naval battles are boggy as well. I even tried disabling soundblaster completely but it didn't seem to help much. I wonder if there's anything else I could do to make it run better? It's too bad the original Pirates isn't working properly because that would probably run insanely smooth.

Jack111
10-31-2010, 02:54 PM
I had almost forgotten how many realy great games there were for dos

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5739/img0097b.png (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/img0097b.png/)

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8/img0098.png (http://img844.imageshack.us/i/img0098.png/)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6575/img0095g.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/img0095g.png/)

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7322/img0103t.png (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/img0103t.png/)

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9739/img0099.png (http://img812.imageshack.us/i/img0099.png/)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5916/img0102o.png (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/img0102o.png/)

sonofstev
10-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Heroes of Might & Magic II stutters on the voiceovers during the cutscenes, but the actual game works wonderfully.

Mortal Kombat 3 doesn't like to navigate when configuring the controls and music. But the actual game runs faster than normal and I have to slow the framerate way down. Cool to see on the iPad! Now if only I could use a Wii controller like some of the other emulators support!

lepeos
10-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Would it be possible to run Age of Empires?

Djacinto
10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Jones in the fast lane works fine
Dune worked fine but i cant get sound and i havent figured it out how to save :)

I had so many original games like civ1 warcraft or darklands. must find them

scarypharaoh
10-31-2010, 05:37 PM
anyone trying to play Fate of atlantis, i did a quick research, game starts with only speech. If you want text and speech need to press Ctrl+T. This works for all old Lucasarts games apparently.

also, It's quite choppy with unchanged settings, but i just changed from 3000 to approx 1400 and then speech and music was perfect.

Link6746
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
decided to use winSCP to transfer my files. ran into the save bug. going to re-transfer.

(and I'm also going to see if I can get daggerfall and system shock to be playable)

Haephestos
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
(and I'm also going to see if I can get daggerfall and system shock to be playable)
Keep us posted on that one. I am very interested in daggerfall especialy.

On another note, I am getting 'imgmount' as an illegal command when I try to use it (jb version).

Mindfield
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
More games tested working:

- Lemmings: Works great. Mouse-based so a little fiddly to play.
- Oh, No! More Lemmings: Same
- Holiday Lemmings 1993: Same
- Gobliiins: Also works great, also mouse-based, but since this is more a point-and-click game it's much more playable.
- Captive: One of my favourite dungeon crawlers. Works great, but again, mouse-based makes it fiddly to play.
- James Pond II - Codename: Robocod: Works full speed with sound.
- Catacomb Abyss: Surprisingly playable for an early FPS. Decent frame rate.
- Ken's Labyrinth: Kind of slow, but still pretty playable.
- One Step Beyond (Pushover 2): Works perfectly.
- System Shock: Works, but far too slow to be playable.

thewiirocks
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
On another note, I am getting 'imgmount' as an illegal command when I try to use it (jb version).

Have you tried adding it to your path yet? Or typing "z:\imgmount.exe" instead?

yeah yeah
10-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Tested and played:

quest for glory 1-4
Kings quest 5 & 6
Leisure suit Larry 1,3,5
Police quest 1,2
Space quest 1,4,5
Codename: iceman
Goldrush
Rise of the dragon
Heart of china

ikemike
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Has anybody tried windows 98 yet? Is the speed better or worse than windows 95?

thewiirocks
10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
BTW, anyone wanting to play You Don't Know Jack... forget about it. It's just too much for the emulator. It can't even render the text, much less keep up with the sound.

(I used Windows 3.1, S3 drivers, and SB16 drivers running at 640x480x256; core=normal)

Haephestos
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Have you tried adding it to your path yet? Or typing "z:\imgmount.exe" instead?
I only have imgmount.com, but using that allowed me to launch it. Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by adding it to my path? Haven't used DOS for years. :P

Stirolak26
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Try arena as well and let me know the results.

Link6746
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
my stuff will launch, but now for some reason I have a Z drive that the program is opening to and it's very tedious to go back to where all my stuff is. Can't edit the Autoexec in there either. files in there seem to be dosbox's files.

Link6746
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Try arena as well and let me know the results.

Tried TES arena... slow if anything. System shock admittedly is faster for some reason.

Stirolak26
10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
How playable is. System shock?

Mindfield
10-31-2010, 10:19 PM
How playable is. System shock?

How patient are you? I found it gets about 1FPS, 2 if you're not looking at anything detailed, less if you are.

Link6746
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
How patient are you? I found it gets about 1FPS, 2 if you're not looking at anything detailed, less if you are.

With my config on the beta I'm having more luck than that, but not much. Using Loadhigh and the default 320*200 resolution. I might want to disable the mouselook mod first. ;}

thewiirocks
10-31-2010, 11:15 PM
I only have imgmount.com, but using that allowed me to launch it. Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by adding it to my path? Haven't used DOS for years. :P

I posted a detailed solution just a couple pages back. :)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1388088&postcount=1166

To clarify one point, the "set PATH" command can be found in the "[autoexec]" section of the dospad.cfg file. If you used one of the many copies of dospad.cfg that have been floating around here, that's probably the source of the error.

Haephestos
11-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I posted a detailed solution just a couple pages back. :)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1388088&postcount=1166

To clarify one point, the "set PATH" command can be found in the "[autoexec]" section of the dospad.cfg file. If you used one of the many copies of dospad.cfg that have been floating around here, that's probably the source of the error.
Thanks loads! :D That solved it all. :D

IzzyNobre
11-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Heroes of Might & Magic II stutters on the voiceovers during the cutscenes, but the actual game works wonderfully.

CFG please

meder87
11-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Can you help me please?

I think you are missing -t iso at the end. Or since its an img it may be -t img

Link6746
11-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Ultima underworld 2 works beautifully except for mystifying input lag... I input data and get results seconds later, often after bringing up a configuration menu. Uu1 does not seem to have this issue.

JCat
11-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Using Dospad (not idos), I wasn't able to transfer anything through file sharing; it just does not work. The icon is there along with other programs that support file transfer (and work), but nothing at all can be dragged and dropped or even selected into the Dospad section.

What I did (in case you're part of the 1% of people having the same problem) was used a program called iphone Explorer Here if needed: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Then I selected Var/mobile/documents on my iPad, and dragged/dropped the ZIPPED games into that folder.

Next, I loaded up Dospad (idos), and simply unzipped each program and they all worked flawlessly - all save features working. Interestingly enough, I was originally transferring unzipped games to the same directory (var/mobile/documents) and half the games didn't work, and none would save. So yeah, make sure they are zipped ahead of time, and unzip them when in iDos.

BTW, it's best to zip your games inside of a folder, before unzip-ing them in iDos, that way, the game will put itself inside of its own folder or else you'll have a confusing mess and a half of files on the C:/drive in no time.

Haephestos
11-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Can anyone explain how to increase the size of the C:\ drive? I keep getting not enough space when I try to install TES: Daggerfall.

Rixx
11-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Just tested Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos (CDROM with Patrick Stewart narrating) and it works great!

Used the config I posted earlier, and dropped cycles to about 1400.
Copied ISO to iDOS, mounted it and then installed it to C:\GAMES\LOLCD
Easiest is to modify the LOLCD.bat and add the mount command there, as you have to remount the CD each time before playing.

Rixx

kahanejosh
11-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Hey I have been playing around with iDos and reading through the replies here but I don't quite understand the cycles.

Whats a safe number to go as high as for the cycles? Also I have seen numerous other settings mentioned here related to the speed, whats a good place to set it? Or does this vary?

thewiirocks
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Can anyone explain how to increase the size of the C:\ drive? I keep getting not enough space when I try to install TES: Daggerfall.

The C:\ is your iPad's internal flash memory. If you don't have enough space on C, then you need to delete some stuff from your iPad.

(And trust me. It is super-easy to fill up your iPad with old DOS games.)

Mindfield
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey I have been playing around with iDos and reading through the replies here but I don't quite understand the cycles.

Whats a safe number to go as high as for the cycles? Also I have seen numerous other settings mentioned here related to the speed, whats a good place to set it? Or does this vary?

It depends. Many older games are happier running on fewer cycles because of the way they were written and the processor platform they were targeted at. In general, most old 2D games are happy running at 1500-3000 cycles. With more demanding games you might squeeze a little better performance by increasing the cycles, but while DOSbox (and therefore iDOS) will allow you to crank the cycles way up there, the iPhone/iPad itself are limited in power up yo a certain point, after which increasing the cycles is pointless. In general, 9,000 cycles or so is probably the upper limit, though that's a back-of-the-napkin estimate. I haven't done thorough testing to find out where the upper limit lies and how much of a difference it makes. Most of the time you should be fine with default values, and in some cases (really old games written for XT-class CGA or EGA machines that don't limit the frame rate) you might have to lower it.

THFourteen
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Has anyone managed to get ultima 7 working well yet?

i can get it running and playable but its a bit too jerky still.

twick
11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Just delete it. (I know if your not a dos guru that thats not so simple).

Run DOS Navigator, freeware, posted early in the thread.

Its really slick, and makes file management a breeze.

You can just delete it from iTunes. Same way you put it in there. Go to file sharing for iDOS, click what you want to delete, press the delete key on your keyboard (Might be backspace)

Sleepy83
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I was never into DOS back in the day, I was a C64 kid, but I learned enough from here to install a game and play it. I don't know if I'll get into configurations since that's a bit more technical for my taste, but I want to thank everyone from those that posted about picking up this App before it was pulled to those posting helpful DOS commands for us non dos users.

I was able to locate some great classics that I owned on my C64, but I knew my friend who had a 486 that owned them as well.

-AD&D Pool of Radiance -Plays great, just no sound (altho I play all these games on default iDOS config)
-AD&D Curse of Azure Bonds (same as above, no sound)
-Legacy of the Ancients (plays great and has sound, but the sound is nothing like the C64 game I owned)

Archimedes
11-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Okay, banging my head against the wall. Anyone been able to get Quest for Glory 1 working? Having trouble with the install process. Crashes with "Illegal command: instgame.bat" when I select the drive letter to install to. Any ideas? Should I install on PC and then move install directory onto device?

EDIT: Nvm : )

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/ImArchimedes/494cc4e5-1.jpg

jalpert
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Police Quest 4 works pretty well. It's slow, but I think it's playable.

Habakuk
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Yes. That's much easier on iPad too (thanks to iOS 3.2.2).

Thanks for your precious hints, Rixx! Newbies! Search for Rixx' posts.

With parts of your little iDOS commands collection (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1387591&postcount=1136) (except the midi part) I could get Future Shock to run (okay, sort of) with sound. I bought that decades ago and it was the first computer game where I got really scared at three o'clock in the morning with headphones on. :)

Frigging atmosphere with stereo sound.

The Terminator: Future Shock is a first-person shooter computer game, based in the fictional Terminator universe. It was released by Bethesda Softworks in 1995. It was one of the first computer games to use full 3D graphics and totally free mouse-look in a FPS game. The story begins in 2015 with the player's character escaping from an extermination camp with the help of the resistance. Throughout the game the player is surrounded by a post-apocalyptic environment. All around is death and decay, scattered with pockets of deadly fallout and the remnants of a shattered society.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8140/foto1r.png

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5525/foto2l.png

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/268/foto3jd.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6903/foto5y.png

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6601/foto4j.png

Game description:
http://www.justgamesretro.com/PC/termfuture.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator:_Future_Shock

When you really want to play a game because it's full of memories or something else you manage it even to control with (estimated) 6 - 8 fps (when set to "low details" in game options then maybe 10 fps). :)

Save and load game works very well. You look around/aim with swipe gestures on touchscreen (reverse vertical direction in options), moving (A, S, Z keys and some more) and shooting (CTRL). ESC to menue, load/save. TAB for map. iAdvantage: You can switch to continuous fire by making a screenshot with iPad while holding the CTRL key. ;)

Archimedes
11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Gah, I can't find my favorite game from my childhood. It was an EA game by Novalogic called Ultrabots. That makes me a sad panda. If anyone knows this game, I'd be curious if it also holds a place in your heart as well.

http://dosgamer.com/screenshots/fullsize/?809

aceyprime
11-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Mortal Kombat 3 doesn't like to navigate when configuring the controls and music. But the actual game runs faster than normal and I have to slow the framerate way down. Cool to see on the iPad! Now if only I could use a Wii controller like some of the other emulators support!

What config are you using for HoMM 2?

IzzyNobre
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
What config are you using for HoMM 2?

That's what I want to know, too

Rixx
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
You can just delete it from iTunes. Same way you put it in there. Go to file sharing for iDOS, click what you want to delete, press the delete key on your keyboard (Might be backspace)

But if you organize your stuff, like I have all my games in the GAME1 GAME2 and mandatory GAMES folders, you can't open them in iTunes to delete subdirectories. Or am I missing something?

Rixx

Vorpal Blade
11-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Earlier in the thread people were saying that they got Warcraft 2 to run decent.
Could someone help me with this please.
So far I have tried copying the disc then zipping it up which has worked so far for everything else ive tried like fallout(before anyone asks, no, it runs way to slow to play, at least for me) but when I unzip it there are no files i can find to install or start the game.
I tried to make a iso of the the game disk by using Disk Utility and Terminal but every time I try to go from a cdr to an iso in Terminal it says it fails but makes one on my desktop anyways. This iso wont work with idos either.
If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.
I have the expansion too but i dont have a clue as to how to get it running either.

Rixx
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Earlier in the thread people were saying that they got Warcraft 2 to run decent.
Could someone help me with this please.
So far I have tried copying the disc then zipping it up which has worked so far for everything else ive tried like fallout(before anyone asks, no, it runs way to slow to play, at least for me) but when I unzip it there are no files i can find to install or start the game.
I tried to make a iso of the the game disk by using Disk Utility and Terminal but every time I try to go from a cdr to an iso in Terminal it says it fails but makes one on my desktop anyways. This iso wont work with idos either.
If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.
I have the expansion too but i dont have a clue as to how to get it running either.

I took the files from wc2, put them in a wc2 directory, then zipped that to wc2.zip

Then unzipped them in iDOS and moved them to games\wc2.

Don't make it more complicated than it is. :-)

Let me know if I can help.

Rixx

Vorpal Blade
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I took the files from wc2, put them in a wc2 directory, then zipped that to wc2.zip

Then unzipped them in iDOS and moved them to games\wc2.

Don't make it more complicated than it is. :-)

Let me know if I can help.

Rixx
Thanks Rixx I'll give it a try

NightHawk64345
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a question for those of you that installed Win95 on their copy of iDOS. How well does it run? Could I play NFS2 on it?

asr10 user
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes. That's much easier on iPad too (thanks to iOS 3.2.2).

Thanks for your precious hints, Rixx! Newbies! Search for Rixx' posts.

With parts of your little iDOS commands collection (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1387591&postcount=1136) (except the midi part) I could get Future Shock to run (okay, sort of) with sound. I bought that decades ago and it was the first computer game where I got really scared at three o'clock in the morning with headphones on. :)

Frigging atmosphere with stereo sound.

The Terminator: Future Shock is a first-person shooter computer game, based in the fictional Terminator universe. It was released by Bethesda Softworks in 1995. It was one of the first computer games to use full 3D graphics and totally free mouse-look in a FPS game. The story begins in 2015 with the player's character escaping from an extermination camp with the help of the resistance. Throughout the game the player is surrounded by a post-apocalyptic environment. All around is death and decay, scattered with pockets of deadly fallout and the remnants of a shattered society.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8140/foto1r.png

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5525/foto2l.png

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/268/foto3jd.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6903/foto5y.png

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6601/foto4j.png

Game description:
http://www.justgamesretro.com/PC/termfuture.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator:_Future_Shock

When you really want to play a game because it's full of memories or something else you manage it even to control with (estimated) 6 - 8 fps (when set to "low details" in game options then maybe 10 fps). :)

Save and load game works very well. You look around/aim with swipe gestures on touchscreen (reverse vertical direction in options), moving (A, S, Z keys and some more) and shooting (CTRL). ESC to menue, load/save. TAB for map. iAdvantage: You can switch to continuous fire by making a screenshot with iPad while holding the CTRL key. ;)

Wow. The second I saw that baton I remembered the game. Was really fun.

Habakuk
11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
you can't open them in iTunes to delete subdirectories. Or am I missing something?

Acknowledged. You can only delete complete folders with their content via iTunes/filesharing. When you copy a folder from iPad via iTunes to desktop it will be complete.

I just copied my complete iPad/iDOS content to my MBP and installed DOSBox for Mac (v. 0.74)!

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Works like on the iPad (inclusive Windows3.x with some strange colors just copy the windows directory) and you have to create a folder dos on your MacintoshHD (and copy iDOS content into) and mount it in DOSBox as C:. Ha! Epic Pinball on my MacBook! (With a little detour via iPad.)

I have a question for those of you that installed Win95 on their copy of iDOS. How well does it run? Could I play NFS2 on it?

It doesn't run well. It never run well. Win95 on the iPad/iPhone is just a joke to play a bit with it (solitaire game FreeCell works fine) and show it to friends. But for games it's the best to run them under pure iDOS. Some of them will start under Win3.x/iPad but they won't run fast enough. I tried now fifteen games or so and there were only two running fine under W3.1 and only ONE that run under W3.1 but NOT under pure DOS (don't remember which one).

Let's say with Win3.x on iDevice/iDOS you can accomplish things like file management, maybe MS Word, editing MIDI with Sound Club and even create and compile C-Software with Borland Turbo Pascal (see posting (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1378979&postcount=243) in this very thread). Playing Solitaire and Minesweeper works as well. Some strange nerds (like me) will have fun installing better video drivers and soundcard drivers on their iPad/W3.x. But for games use pure DOS (iDOS) because of the performance. And forget Windows 95 for anything serious. :)

The "MS-DOS Prompt" what you can start under Windows 95/iDOS doesn't work at all (okay I tried it—it works a bit but certainly not for games). Imagine it as an emulator within an emulator. All of this is guilty since fifteen years and nothing has changed.

NightHawk64345
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for answering my question. I'm going to try to run NFS2 on DOS, but I think it needs Win95.

dorm3nt
11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Having some issues trying to get the CD version of Kings Quest VI working with full audio (voices are not working, everything else works like on the floppy version.. has anyone gotten the cd audio working?) I'm pretty sure it's something to do with mounting the folder, not completely DOS illiterate but not anything more then knowing how to do a few basic commands, and I've never had to worry about mounting things before so if anyone could possibly help, if they know what would be causing this.. this thread has gotten huge and searching through it is getting difficult, so even by PM would be fine, so as to not clog it up even more, and if it's already been answered sorry for bringin it up again heh, it's not an iso it's the cd version files in a zip, though knowing how to mount a cd would be useful as well.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Also I'm using DOSPAD as I missed out on the iTunes one, I think it uses different locations, so might be important.

Rixx
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Having some issues trying to get the CD version of Kings Quest VI working with full audio (voices are not working, everything else works like on the floppy version.. has anyone gotten the cd audio working?) I'm pretty sure it's something to do with mounting the folder, not completely DOS illiterate but not anything more then knowing how to do a few basic commands, and I've never had to worry about mounting things before so if anyone could possibly help, if they know what would be causing this.. this thread has gotten huge and searching through it is getting difficult, so even by PM would be fine, so as to not clog it up even more, and if it's already been answered sorry for bringin it up again heh, it's not an iso it's the cd version files in a zip, though knowing how to mount a cd would be useful as well.

EDIT: Also I'm using DOSPAD as I missed out on the iTunes one, I think it uses different locations, so might be important.

ok I think you need to do this:
Take the KQ6 ISO, name it something short like kq6.iso, then drop that on the dospad area in itunes to transfer it to iDOS , where it will be in the root of C.
Make a batch file, call it something like kq6cd.bat, and put something like this in it:
IMGMOUNT E C:\kq6.iso -t iso

drop that into iTunes as well.

Then in iDOS, run the kq6cd command to mount the CD as E.

Go to E, then install the game to C

Go to C and run the game.

You should probably make the IMGMOUNT command be part of the batch file that runs KQ6 so it will mount the cd before playing each time.

Yell if I can help.

Rixx

scarypharaoh
11-01-2010, 04:36 PM

I have had quite a lot of sucess with several games in idos now, but, I have to be honest, I am also struggling with the whole CD mounting concept. what am I trying to achieve by doing it? I have seen the command line i need to type, but it doesnt make any sense to me.
The other issue I have is I have seen other peope talking about changing memsize to 64, i assume this helps games run better, bt how do I edit the config file? in itunes? or do i just download a different config file?
thanks in advance of any advice you guys can give:)

Edit: Thanks Rixx for response to dorm3nt, I assume the advice you gave above applies to all times you wish to mount in idos?

Rixx
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Edit: Thanks Rixx for response to dorm3nt, I assume the advice you gave above applies to all times you wish to mount in idos?

Yeah just change the name of the iso. :-)
I installed eob 1 2 and 3 from the collection ISO in that way.
Though when through with EOB you can remove the ISO as its just for installing.

dorm3nt
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
@Rixx Thanks for the reply, and I'm sure thats what I would do if it were an ISO.... but as I said it's not, it's a folder with the CD files in it, tried using the regular MOUNT command, in place of IMGMOUNT with what you said to do and same results as everything I've tried off other sites including the DOSPAD forums, in this case it just errors and tells me "Illegal command: MOUNT. I've had multiple other errors while attempting what people have suggested
:( Hopefully I can figure this out, also as I said above it's DOSPAD not iDOS basically the same but you can't transfer to it through iTunes I have to SSH, it uses var/mobile/documents as C: I believe and.. about the other drives, unsure. Anyway off to do some more research, if I find anything helpful I'll be sure to post how I got it running :)

BTW I'm using DOS Navigator, would that make any difference, should I try doing these commands from straight DOS instead of autobooting DN? ...Ah hell I'll just try n see myself heh

@scarypharaoh I've had great luck with most things as well till now (even Warcraft II, only with that I simply edited the War2.ini file or whatever it was for it to read the disc from c:\games\war2) KQ6 seems to be different, as I say it plays fine, the issue is streaming audio from the cd I guess? Cause they should talk, since the CD version is lacking in text boxes.. it seems to try to load something (hourglass shows) just doesn't play any voice, so that'd be what your achieving from mounting it, I assume there are other games/applications that require the CD in a drive (or in this case mounted to one) sorry can't help much with how you would edit your config, as mines jailbreak version.. Try copying it off to your desktop from itunes file sharing? edit then copy back? SHOULD be able to drag and drop I believe, VLC works that way, copied a video I took on my phone to VLC through file sharing copied it to one of my friends desktops when I was over that way through the file share.

jeffy777
11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Okay, banging my head against the wall. Anyone been able to get Quest for Glory 1 working? Having trouble with the install process. Crashes with "Illegal command: instgame.bat" when I select the drive letter to install to. Any ideas? Should I install on PC and then move install directory onto device?

EDIT: Nvm : )

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/ImArchimedes/494cc4e5-1.jpg

Man, do yourself a favor and get the updated VGA version of Quest for Glory 1. The graphics/sound are much better, it's all point and click (so you don't have to type questions and such), and it runs good on iDOS as well.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3069/95455201.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/95455201.jpg/)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/983/14154338.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/14154338.jpg/)

jac2982
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Gah, I can't find my favorite game from my childhood. It was an EA game by Novalogic called Ultrabots. That makes me a sad panda. If anyone knows this game, I'd be curious if it also holds a place in your heart as well.

http://dosgamer.com/screenshots/fullsize/?809

AHHHHHH ULTRABOTS! how could i possibly forget?! Loved this game back in the day, I'll have to start searching as well!

Rixx
11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I had wing commander 1 running fine, now it keeps autodetecting a joystick and bedding the cursor in the top left corner.

Update: If I lower the cycles it beds in upper left, if i lower them it beds in lower right.

Just need to disable the joystick support in iDOS totally I think.

Anyone know how?

Rixx

danknugz
11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
just posting to say that battletech: crecent hawks inseption works perfectly without any tweaks in dos! i didnt load in windows first, what would be the point?

drelbs
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Man, do yourself a favor and get the updated VGA version of Quest for Glory 1. The graphics/sound are much better, it's all point and click (so you don't have to type questions and such), and it runs good on iDOS as well.

No way!

I'm sticking to my original copy of Hero's Quest! ;)

dorm3nt
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I had wing commander 1 running fine, now it keeps autodetecting a joystick and bedding the cursor in the top left corner.

Update: If I lower the cycles it beds in upper left, if i lower them it beds in lower right.

Just need to disable the joystick support in iDOS totally I think.

Anyone know how?

Rixx

Try adding

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

to the config... it's how you do it with regular dosbox as I recall, any ideas on mounting a folder as opposed to an image? :)

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if anyone thought to post this for a command list... but I'm sure it'd do everyone good if it hasn't http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html also troubleshooting and stuff, maybe not EXACTLY for this version, and I'm sure stuff has been modified for this version, but still useful.

jeffy777
11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
No way!

I'm sticking to my original copy of Hero's Quest! ;)

You passed the test :cool:

thewiirocks
11-01-2010, 07:55 PM

You know, I think I might still have an install CD around here somewhere. I'll look around for you. :)

I have a question for those of you that installed Win95 on their copy of iDOS. How well does it run?

It crashes a lot. In fact, crashing seems to be the only thing it's good at.

In other words, it runs like Windows 95 always ran. The emulation is so accurate, it's spooky!

Haephestos
11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
The C:\ is your iPad's internal flash memory. If you don't have enough space on C, then you need to delete some stuff from your iPad.*

(And trust me. It is super-easy to fill up your iPad with old DOS games.)
That makes no sense, as I have about 15gb free on the device. I ran the installer via W3.1. Would that make any difference?

thewiirocks
11-01-2010, 09:13 PM
That makes no sense, as I have about 15gb free on the device. I ran the installer via W3.1. Would that make any difference?

Did you jailbreak the device? If you transferred the files in an odd way (e.g. SSH), that might cause a permissions problem. A permissions problem could manifest as a write error.

Another possibility is that you were accidentally trying to write to a CD drive. CDs are non-writable and present themselves as being full. That could generate "out of disk space" errors.

Those are my only guesses at the moment.

thewiirocks
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
You guys are in luck. I found my CD for Ultrabots! I'll IM the download address.

I also found my disk for Iron Helix! I'll have to boot it up and give it a go. Ah, memories. :)

Edit: Iron Helix requires WINDOWS?!?! That's just wrong. Sick and wrong. Ah well, I guess it gives me an excuse to see if I can get Windows doing something useful. (I know, a joke in itself. ;))

netbeui
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I haven't sync'd iTunes since I bought this app. Now I need to sync but I'm extremely paranoid about losing the app.

Can someone tell me how to back up the .ipa file in case it gets blown away when I sync?

Haephestos
11-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Did you jailbreak the device? If you transferred the files in an odd way (e.g. SSH), that might cause a permissions problem. A permissions problem could manifest as a write error.

Another possibility is that you were accidentally trying to write to a CD drive. CDs are non-writable and present themselves as being full. That could generate "out of disk space" errors.

Those are my only guesses at the moment.
It is jailbroken, but it says that there is not enough free space. Defs not trying to write to a CD drive, it was the C:\ drive.