PDA

View Full Version : Sparta: Lords of War coming!

Pages : [1] 2

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Here it is TouchArcaders.

This is the game you named here at TouchArcade.com.

TouchArcade.com Name Our Game Poll (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=8735&
highlight=Sparta)

Thank you all for your contribution to the title of this upcoming action game from Pocket Monkey Games.

Expected Launch Date: May 12, 2009

Pricing point is usually the biggest question when it comes to new games and we are happy to share that we are launching it a only $.99 along with a "Lite" Version to convince the unbelievers. (We didn't think it was necessary since it's a game about Spartans. How can you not buy it?)

More on Pricing: Version 1.0 will be priced at $.99. Version 1.5 including 15 new weapons, new game modes, more enemies, and more maps will be priced at $1.99. Final build, version 2.0, will be priced at 3.99 and the major update for that would be online multiplayer.

AppStore Description:
"Have you ever wanted to be a true Spartan warrior? Have you wondered how awesome it would be to be a god of war? Being a Spartan is no easy job, but sometimes it can kick some serious butt. *Pun Intended

You are Athos, aspiring Spartan champion, with only one mission: To protect Sparta from the hordes of invading enemies. Armed with a sword and a shield, it is up to you to be the lone champion of your people.

Defend yourself and your homeland against uprising peasants, roaming bandits, invading Persians, and even an unlikely foe that will be the ultimate test of your skills. Do you have what it takes to be a true Lord of War?"

- Simple yet challenging gameplay
- Upgradable Armor
- Diverse and unique enemies
- Amazing art and graphics
- Strategic combat to take down enemies

Art and gameplay inspired by Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid.

Here is a teaser poster made by one of our fans here at TouchArcade and we decided to show it off.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/150/spartacoverposter.tif (http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spartacoverposter.tif)

Early Test Video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhpvIbh1Cyw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhpvIbh1Cyw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Below are some screen shots.

Main Menu:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5269/img0001eiz.png

Instructions:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3974/img0002s.png

Hi-Scores:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/730/img0003x.png

Interface
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6127/interfacesparta.png

Background with some characters (Work In Progress)
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1321/characterswithbackgroun.png

The Hero doing one of the attacks
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6738/heroslash.png (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=heroslash.png)
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/heroslash.png/1/w219.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img151/heroslash.png/1/)

CDubby94
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Awesome, this is coming along pretty fast now. Can't wait to see some screenshots and video. I'll be on the look out for them good luck! :D

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Awesome, this is coming along pretty fast now. Can't wait to see some screenshots and video. I'll be on the look out for them good luck! :D

I see you are quick to adapt your signature. Impressive, very impressive, padawan.

Big Albie
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
This sounds interesting so can't wait to see the screenshots!

CDubby94
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I see you are quick to adapt your signature. Impressive, very impressive, padawan.

I try to stay up to date. :D I'm excited to try it out!

inferi22
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
is the ad image any example of in-game graphics

The Bat Outta Hell
04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

lol tbh i hope not

'Jeep
04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Do people read threads or only look at the pictures like my 2 year old?
Here is a teaser poster made by one of our fans here at TouchArcade and we decided to show it off.

(Just having a laugh, I try to only read the intersting bit of every post! :p )

pante
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
i keep my fingers crossed for this one.

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM

No, the graphics in-game are nothing like the above poster/fan art.

The graphics, however, have a cartoonish and light-hearted appeal. (But of course there will be blood and violence, if Apple approves, that is.)

I would love to post some screen shots now to build hype, but I have been advised against doing so for business reasons.

So I think I'll wait a few more days until posting. We can't have anyone stealing our ideas, now can we? :D

K.D!
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok, I'm obviously coming in on this one a little late but what genre is this game? Is it a side-scroller or 3D adventure like HoS... or anything else?

Kris

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Ok, I'm obviously coming in on this one a little late but what genre is this game? Is it a side-scroller or 3D adventure like HoS... or anything else?

Kris

The game is a 2D side scrolling arcade game where the player controls a Spartan warrior.

It is not in any way like Hero of Sparta, except for the Spartan aspect.

We are introducing it at .99 with a plan to release an updated game (version 2.0) that includes multiplayer survival mode where you and a buddy fight side by side, increasing the price to $2.99

gscal
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I love side-scrollers, and I love Spartan anything, so I'll definitely pick this up, especially at $0.99.

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
We are also holding a competition, for any interested, for a winner to own a Spartan helmet.

Here is a photo of the helmet:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3228/spartanhelm.jpg

The competition will be held shortly after the release and will be done by posting your results of "Survival mode" in the game.

arta
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
How would you rate the art and animation of the background/ characters? 10 being iDracula/ Oregon Trail and 1 being Bike or Die 2?

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
How would you rate the art and animation of the background/ characters? 10 being iDracula/ Oregon Trail and 1 being Bike or Die 2?

Well, if you are asking me, I'd say 10, or even 11 at that, since it is my company's game and all! :)

They are cartoonish, so if anything I'd compare them to Zombieville. (Maybe not that cartoonish.) I personally would rate them as better than Zombieville and we also have much more di******* in enemies than Zombieville's single enemy model.

indyraider4
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I can't wait to see it, but can you post some screenshots now.

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
We are also going to give away iTune gift cards (so original, I know) to subsequent winners of our competitions.

gscal
04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
We are also going to give away iTune gift cards (so original, I know) to subsequent winners of our competitions.

Can we win just the iTunes gift card, not the Spartan helmet?

supg328911
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
wow this sounds great, and multiplayer I can't wait for this.... In the future multiplayer will it be LAN or could I play someone in japan if I wanted to, when 3.0 comes out you could use peer to peer aswell...

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Can we win just the iTunes gift card, not the Spartan helmet?

Yes, we have talked about this and decided that if the number 1 winner chooses to go for gift card, then we will go that path. We decided that it would be $100 iTunes Gift card for 1st place. (Although the helmet is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive, we realize that it's not everybody's "cup of joe.")

Kris Jones
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
wow this sounds great, and multiplayer I can't wait for this.... In the future multiplayer will it be LAN or could I play someone in japan if I wanted to, when 3.0 comes out you could use peer to peer aswell...

The goal is to allow for a broad multiplayer experience and not just local WiFi. The development team is confident that this is doable, so I'm optimistic about it!

romulus
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
This game is an emotional subject for me. While I am deeply looking forward to playing it, I believe with all of my heart that it should be called Pocket Spartan. Mainly because I want to tell people I have a Spartan in my pocket.

Oh well, I'm just going to have to try winning the helmet instead.

foppajoe
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Is this going to be like castle crashers?

here's a link to castle crashers if you never played it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FheKrjwAMGI

Castle crashers was awesome. Basically this game would be like castle crashers without the 3d and the magic attacks? You can still jump right?

Spiral75
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Cant wait to see some screenshots. How about posting a couple just as a teaser? I would be excited about the contest too but I never win anything :(

romulus
04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Is this going to be like castle crashers?

I love the graphic style of Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers, they should really get round to porting those! If this has a similar feel then its going to be a hit...

Kris Jones
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I love the graphic style of Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers, they should really get round to porting those! If this has a similar feel then its going to be a hit...

Romulus,

Yes, the graphics are similar to Castle Crashers/Alien Hominid. Those games were the inspiration for this one (along with a series we are developing for iPhone).

I'll get some screen shots soon.

kieranvanpinxteren
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Is it going to be like the flash game achilles?

www.y8.com/games/Achilles.

Ilove that GAME! and why hasnt anyone made a thing thing app?:(

CDubby94
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm winning that contest! It's on!

Kris Jones
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Can we win both?

I mean...if I win, I'll go down to the Apple Store in NYC wearing that thing and using one of their WiFi to buy something with the gift card.

Because that's how I roll. :D

Lol. That would be awesome to see. Plus it would give us great public attention. So, in that case, sure!

MetroGnome217
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
This game sounds great
quick questions
-How will this be set up? ( will there be boss battles?)
-How much will this cost?
-What kind of weapons are avalible? (are there upgratible armours?)
-Will there be local or online WiFi??
-When will this be released?
The game sounds great and I WILL be buying it!
(The name is great too!)

Kris Jones
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
This game sounds great
quick questions
-How will this be set up? ( will there be boss battles?)
-How much will this cost?
-What kind of weapons are avalible? (are there upgratible armours?)
-Will there be local or online WiFi??
-When will this be released?
The game sounds great and I WILL be buying it!
(The name is great too!)

1. Game will be set up as Side-Scrolling action with 2 modes, campaign and survival. Yes, we are planning for boss battles to separate "chapters".

2. Initial/Introductory version will be priced at $ . 99 (Will bump to $2.99 when we include multiplayer/co-op.)

3. Swords and spears are available for the initial version, along with upgradable armor. Planning on bringing more weapons with future updates. (Bows, throwing weapons, etc.)

4. We are working on BOTH Local and online multiplayer capabilities, though this won't be in the initial version, and is GREATLY increases time and cost to develop.

5. We are planning a launch for next week, then it will be in Apples hands. The game does feature blood and violence, so we hope Apple is cool with that.

MetroGnome217
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply
This is a great affordible game i will certianly be buying!

OrangePanda
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
What happened to those mentioned screenshots?

Kris Jones
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
What happened to those mentioned screenshots?

I don't work for the developer, I work for the publisher of this game. (Pocket Monkey Games.)

They are (supposedly) getting me good screen shots to show off to the public.

nuggetsman28
04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
we greeks have special charm!!!

PocketMonkey
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh, look! I have found a thread about one of my amazing upcoming games! Pocket Monkey likes this... Pocket Monkey likes this a lot...

Maybe I should share something with these petty humans?

OK! That sounds fun! Here is a picture....OF ME!!!

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4779/pocketmonkeylogo.jpg

Yes, yes... Pocket Monkey is sure that is what they wanted...

randomdude
04-09-2009, 12:48 AM
When is it going get released

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
When is it going get released

Release date goal is April 20th.

yongkykun
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
ONE, just one, screenshot, that's all I ask. I'm so curious right now!

PocketMonkey
04-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh...yummy...look what Pocket Monkey found!

They were hiding this, yes they were, but I found it for you!

Pocket Monkey thinks this is an early concept of a low-level bad guy from Sparta : Lords of War! Maybe a bandit?!?

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1903/picture1ozg.png

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Pocket Monkey! NO!

Bad Pocket Monkey! You can't just give away stuff willy nilly! You are like the traitor who gave away the Spartans to the Persians...

Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Yes, that is an early concept of one of the baddies from the game, but I can happily say that the graphics have improved since then! :)

PocketMonkey
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
The Pocket Monkey was sneaky enough to get you a picture and no one comments? Sad day for the Pocket Monkey.:(

radchad1
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
The Pocket Monkey was sneaky enough to get you a picture and no one comments? Sad day for the Pocket Monkey.:(

Nobody made a comment due to the fact we don't like being screwed around with. If you don't want to show a screenshot then say they will be posted as the game nears completion. Don't have a laugh on other people who are interested in the game and play around. It's not funny and you will only piss people off and then not get a sale from them!!!!

theone1007
04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Nobody made a comment due to the fact we don't like being screwed around with. If you don't want to show a screenshot then say they will be posted as the game nears completion. Don't have a laugh on other people who are interested in the game and play around. It's not funny and you will only piss people off and then not get a sale from them!!!!

++++++++++1

Show us some REAL screenshots already. It's already April 8 and your goal is only 12 days away. You have created some hype, but not enough because there are no screenshots, videos, or anything. POST SOME SCREENSHOTS, I'm not sold into even getting this game yet.

Palfince
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I personally think that the picture that was posted looks pretty good and if the game has graphics like that I'll probably end up getting it.

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I personally think that the picture that was posted looks pretty good and if the game has graphics like that I'll probably end up getting it.

Thank you. For that, I received this to show you. We are still working out the art for the background and that is one of the final things we have to do. As you see, the Hero is the in the center.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1321/characterswithbackgroun.png

Below is a photo showing how that the Hero armor can be changed.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5594/silverarmorspartan.png

Some of those graphics still look rough, but that isn't the final build yet.

CDubby94
04-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe not the best graphics but definitely cartoony, unique ones, and I like that because they're different. Judging by the concept and pictures I think you'd have to be crazy to not at least be interested in the game.

Palfince
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I really like those graphics, they remind me of the all the flash games I used to play. They look pretty polished as well. I can't wait for this game now! :D

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe not the best graphics but definitely cartoony, unique ones, and I like that because they're different. Judging by the concept and pictures I think you'd have to be crazy to not at least be interested in the game.

Our focus in on quality game play with interesting graphics. We could greatly update the graphics (think Hero of Sparta, etc.) but the price would greatly increase. We want to offer arcade style games at great prices, hence the $.99 price tag. We feel this is far superior to what most people would find at that price range.

CDubby94
04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Our focus in on quality game play with interesting graphics. We could greatly update the graphics (think Hero of Sparta, etc.) but the price would greatly increase. We want to offer arcade style games at great prices, hence the $.99 price tag. We feel this is far superior to what most people would find at that price range.

I agree. The arcadey graphics for this price point fit perfectly and they are far superior over some other 99 cent graphics. I think you're doing the right thing in creating an interesting to look at game with decent graphics. There's no need to create breathtaking graphics like HoS because that wouldn't fit this type of game. I think you're doing the right things graphics-wise, although I'm not what you would call a graphics whore.

crimson.
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks great to me. I'll be sure to buy it. And please, please don't make the grapics look like Hero of Sparta. 2D games look way better on iPhone than 3D ones IMO.

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks great to me. I'll be sure to buy it. And please, please don't make the grapics look like Hero of Sparta. 2D games look way better on iPhone than 3D ones IMO.

No worries there, Crimson. We have 3 more games scheduled after the release of this one in the same category/genre with the 2D style.

Mattman
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks really cool, seems like another big rush of games soon!

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
We are entering Beta early next week. Post here if you would like to help us with Beta testing.

anduril_ukr
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
id be glad to help, and i have previous beta experience with 3 different games.

crimson.
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll try beta testing it

MetroGnome217
04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I will beta test this
I have experience from beta testing other games such as Rasta Monkey
I would love to help
Please PM me so we can exchange e-mails

arono
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd be glad to help you beta testing

wonderva
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd love to beta test this. I don't really have any credentials except I love playing games on my device!

DarthPuma
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Never beta tested before an app before, but I've done a few console and PC game beta tests. I'd be more than willing to help out if you need more testers.

STP_Tim
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey, I will also beta if you need :)

romulus
04-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Graphics are hugely important to me, but photorealism is definitely not. I like the style of this so far. As long as it looks *finished* and not messy, I'll be more than happy. Now I just have to wait... Is it just me or is delayed gratification getting more difficult these days?

supg328911
04-09-2009, 11:21 PM
if you still need a beta tester which I dought it, I'd be happy to help. I've beta tested for two different games so far and hopefully you will make this 3.

Kris Jones
04-09-2009, 11:31 PM
if you still need a beta tester which I dought it, I'd be happy to help. I've beta tested for two different games so far and hopefully you will make this 3.

Don't worry, better late than never!

supg328911
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Don't worry, better late than never!

very true :)

Rocketman919
04-10-2009, 03:15 AM
I would love to test. I have tested for some high profile games, so i could be of use.

Chumbake
04-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Wow, I'm jumping into this thread late. I'm pumped for this game and would love to beta test for it.

Palfince
04-10-2009, 05:50 AM
I'd love to beta test this game as well. I've tested a few games before (Parallelus, Crazy Snowboard and Galactic Gunner) and this game looks awesome. I'm probably a little late though (stupid UK times, I was asleep :rolleyes:).

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd love to beta test this game as well. I've tested a few games before (Parallelus, Crazy Snowboard and Galactic Gunner) and this game looks awesome. I'm probably a little late though (stupid UK times, I was asleep :rolleyes:).

No worries on that yet. We are entering BETA this upcoming Monday. Whomever we choose, we will PM. We just need some quick information about you (mainly your Device ID) so you can load it up for you.

OrangePanda
04-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Are those pics that you showed us the only two types of armor?
Or are there more?

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Are those pics that you showed us the only two types of armor?
Or are there more?

No, there is more armor than that. I just didn't want to spoil any surprises and what have you.

OrangePanda
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Are there combo moves and strikes?
Is there anything with the gods?

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Are there combo moves and strikes?
Is there anything with the gods?

Combo moves and strikes: There are a variety of moves that the player can do (Attacking, kicking, blocking, throwing, etc.)

anything with the gods: Although this won't be in the initial release, we are working out an interesting system when the character dies. (Hint: The plan is to give the player a second chance at life by surviving a battle in Hades.)

OrangePanda
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Are there mythical creatures that we will fight?
Or just bad humans?

supg328911
04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
No worries on that yet. We are entering BETA this upcoming Monday. Whomever we choose, we will PM. We just need some quick information about you (mainly your Device ID) so you can load it up for you.

will you be asking for our uuid through pm?
or should we post them....

CDubby94
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey I know it's really late, probably too late, but I'd be interested in beta testing the game for you. I have no previous experience, just an interest in the game. Just thought I'd mention it, better late than never.

arta
04-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Is the plane flat like Contra or is it like Castle Crashers/ Golden Axe?

I'm also interested in beta testing.

inferi22
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey I know it's really late, probably too late, but I'd be interested in beta testing the game for you. I have no previous experience, just an interest in the game. Just thought I'd mention it, better late than never.

same here id enjoy beta testing too

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Is the plane flat like Contra or is it like Castle Crashers/ Golden Axe?

I'm also interested in beta testing.

The plane is flat for this game. Think Alien Hominid or Zombieville in regards to that. We are working on another project that features Greek myth (The gods, Minotaurs, Cerberus, etc.) that has a level plane similar to Castle Crashers.

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Those of you who we wanted for Beta but didn't get in, we will be sending out promo codes through PM's here at TouchArcade.

pante
04-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Those of you who we wanted for Beta but didn't get in, we will be sending out promo codes through PM's here at TouchArcade.

so i understand i'm not in?

supg328911
04-10-2009, 05:04 PM
i geusse i didnt get in either, but thats nice to send out codes. :)

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
i geusse i didnt get in either, but thats nice to send out codes. :)

No no! We haven't even began with the BETA selection process! I meant IN CASE you don't get in, still look forward to getting a promo code. (We launch roughly a week after beta.)

pante
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
No no! We haven't even began with the BETA selection process! I meant IN CASE you don't get in, still look forward to getting a promo code. (We launch roughly a week after beta.)

you just made me smile. :)

supg328911
04-10-2009, 06:42 PM

awww i see, cool now im exited again, hopefully i will get selected, well like i said before the promo codes for people who dont get selected is i nice idea...

theone1007
04-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Beta testing sounds cool even though I probably won't get in because I've never beta tested before (always wanted to). The screenshots are finally up, I was flaming on one page because that Pocket Monkey guy kept saying all this dumb stuff and not posting any screenshots.

Glad to see the screenshots are finally up, looks entertaining for .99. The Spartan looks really cool even though he's not exactly 3D and all that great stuff. I think I'll be getting this game; you have my support on this one :)

supg328911
04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Beta testing sounds cool even though I probably won't get in because I've never beta tested before (always wanted to). The screenshots are finally up, I was flaming on one page because that Pocket Monkey guy kept saying all this dumb stuff and not posting any screenshots.

Glad to see the screenshots are finally up, looks entertaining for .99. The Spartan looks really cool even though he's not exactly 3D and all that great stuff. I think I'll be getting this game; you have my support on this one :)

i think that this type of game looks better in 2D rather than 3D, just like pocket god

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Don't worry about it so much. Pocket Monkey is a character and quite a strange one at that. You love him or you hate him.

inferi22
04-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Don't worry about it so much. Pocket Monkey is a character and quite a strange one at that. You love him or you hate him.
So have you chosen people for beta cause this game looks great

crimson.
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
@inferi
No he hasn't.

inferi22
04-10-2009, 09:05 PM
@inferi
No he hasn't.

Thanks

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 09:17 PM
No, beta has yet to be decided upon.

I am the publisher and producer, but not the development team. I am strongly encouraging for a public BETA, but the team as a whole may keep it internal, since we plan to launch in 10 days regardless and it may be counter-productive. I hate breaking anyones hearts, so we will send out promo codes for the game instead.

OrangePanda
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I want to beta!
No experience at all though, just love for Sparta.

Spiral75
04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Game looks great! And for .99 cents, ill buy it simply for the fact that you are active in the TA forums :) Looking forward to this one

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Game looks great! And for .99 cents, ill buy it simply for the fact that you are active in the TA forums :) Looking forward to this one

Not only am I active here, I am also pretty exclusive here. The community at TA is simply amazing.

Kris Jones
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
If you want to check out more artwork/screen shots or see what else Pocket Monkey is working on, then you can find us on Twitter (www.twitter.com/thepocketmonkey) or on Facebook here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=88015&id=62507000683&saved#/pages/Pocket-Monkey-Games/62507000683?ref=nf).

Vikram
04-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Great! I love side-scrollers! Can't wait for this one to come out!

Kris Jones
04-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Great! I love side-scrollers! Can't wait for this one to come out!

Good to hear. If this one is successful, you will definitely see us bringing a long line of varying side-scrollers, among other genres.

CDubby94
04-11-2009, 11:17 AM
C'mon Kris I'm so excited for this one! I've been hearing about it since you first came out with the name our game thread! I want some Spartan side-scrolling action!

yongkykun
04-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow, finally you posted some screens.. LOL

Looking great Kris, art kinda reminds me of Zombieville USA.

supg328911
04-11-2009, 01:01 PM
just started following your twitter....and im a little confused here, is there gong to be public beta testing or just the people inside pocket monkey games

Kris Jones
04-11-2009, 02:33 PM
just started following your twitter....and im a little confused here, is there gong to be public beta testing or just the people inside pocket monkey games

As I stated, it is up to the developer right now (I'm simply the producer/publisher). Seeing as we plan to launch 5 days after we get Beta, they may decide it would be better to keep the beta in-house.

CDubby94
04-11-2009, 02:36 PM
As I stated, it is up to the developer right now (I'm simply the producer/publisher). Seeing as we plan to launch 5 days after we get Beta, they may decide it would be better to keep the beta in-house.

Probably a good idea if you're looking to plan a launch date.

Kris Jones
04-11-2009, 02:50 PM
UPDATE:

I posted a couple more photos at the beginning of this thread.

CDubby94
04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Haha the Persian looks like he's been smoking for 50 years. I like these graphics! Good artwork!

Kris Jones
04-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Haha the Persian looks like he's been smoking for 50 years. I like these graphics! Good artwork!

Lol. He also reminds me a bit of one of Santa's elfs, with the hat and shoes, but from our research that is how those Persians actually dressed! :D

caubetocdaido
04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
great job ! cool :)

supg328911
04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
haha the persian does look like hes been smoking for quit some time, thanks for pointing that out :D i still cant wait for the release

Kris Jones
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
New photo added to first page.

arta
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Any video?

CDubby94
04-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah I'm with arta I like the pictures so far but I want to see them in action! A gameplay video would be REALLY nice for people to get hyped for this game.

Kris Jones
04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah I'm with arta I like the pictures so far but I want to see them in action! A gameplay video would be REALLY nice for people to get hyped for this game.

Yeah, I will get someone to do that right away.

It is the weekend and I am the ONLY person working right now. I should probably be spending Easter with the family or something cliche' like that. ;)

Just kidding. But yes, we should have some soon.

supg328911
04-12-2009, 04:53 PM
i love seeing all these pictures of the game but i also agree a video would be nice so i will be watching this thread for the video...and kris jones i gotta say thank you for being so active in the thread i love to see developers active and im sure everyone else does to :)

Phil_Synowiec
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
The Artwork looks great!

Kris Jones
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
The Artwork looks great!

Thank you. I personally guarantee that if we are successful with "Sparta: Lords of War", you will see more games from us with a similar artistic theme. We already have plans for a post-apocalyptic shooter, a game featuring Greek Mythology, and even a one that is a bit sillier that has to do with cows and aliens.

crimson.
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I was thinking, it would be cool if we could change the way our character looks i.e. How muscular he is, how tall, gender, ect. I think this would be good because I personally think the character looks too muscular. I'd rather him look more like the Barbarian. I'm almost positive there must be someone who feels the same.

Kris Jones
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I was thinking, it would be cool if we could change the way our character looks i.e. How muscular he is, how tall, gender, ect. I think this would be good because I personally think the character looks too muscular. I'd rather him look more like the Barbarian. I'm almost positive there must be someone who feels the same.

I am sure that many people feel the same way. Others would disagree and say that it makes him look more powerful and more heroic.

The character that you play as is named Athos and you begin your journey by putting down a rebellion of peasants. You can then upgrade your armor or your weapon then you are tasked with destroying a different kind of foe.

The goal is to add more characters with future updates. A strong, slow, and muscular one (as pictured), a lean, quick character, and possibly a female character to appeal to that side of the audience.

Creating a system that allows for the customization of the physical appearance of your character is VERY difficult, to say the least. It is something my studio is working on, but it will not be with "Sparta: Lords of War." We intend for the option to be available on future titles.

crimson.
04-13-2009, 06:01 AM
I am sure that many people feel the same way. Others would disagree and say that it makes him look more powerful and more heroic.

The character that you play as is named Athos and you begin your journey by putting down a rebellion of peasants. You can then upgrade your armor or your weapon then you are tasked with destroying a different kind of foe.

The goal is to add more characters with future updates. A strong, slow, and muscular one (as pictured), a lean, quick character, and possibly a female character to appeal to that side of the audience.

Creating a system that allows for the customization of the physical appearance of your character is VERY difficult, to say the least. It is something my studio is working on, but it will not be with "Sparta: Lords of War." We intend for the option to be available on future titles.
Okay. At least we'll have options. I hope you succeed with that character developement thing though. I'd love to see that in future games.

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Okay. At least we'll have options. I hope you succeed with that character developement thing though. I'd love to see that in future games.

Remember that armor can also be changed. As it stands, it is only the "overall armor". We are working to allow individual pieces of armor to change, such as helmet, breastplate, gauntlets, leggings, etc.

superbad
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
The thread is uber long but any expected release dates yet?

theone1007
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM

He said 5 days after beta and it seems like beta is about to start sooner or later. I'm guessing next week or even sooner.

I dunno, just guessing here, but I believe he said that that the aimed release date was somewhere around April 20th or something like that. The release date should be found somewhere among the pages of this thread.

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM

theone1007 is right. I have stated that April 20th (one week from today) we want to submit to the AppStore.

Most people recognize that Apple has inconsistent approval processes, so we cannot be sure the game will be accepted. There is violence. This is Sparta, of course. Players will have the opportunity to decapitate (cut off the head) of their foes. You can see how that can be questionable. ;)

superbad
04-13-2009, 12:25 PM
theone1007 is right. I have stated that April 20th (one week from today) we want to submit to the AppStore.

Most people recognize that Apple has inconsistent approval processes, so we cannot be sure the game will be accepted. There is violence. This is Sparta, of course. Players will have the opportunity to decapitate (cut off the head) of their foes. You can see how that can be questionable. ;)

What color is the blood?

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
What color is the blood?

Red.

No matter what Apple says, we are NOT changing it to green.

But how cool would it be to have a "300 Vs. Aliens Vs. Predator" thing going on?

superbad
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Red.

No matter what Apple says, we are NOT changing it to green.

But how cool would it be to have a "300 Vs. Aliens Vs. Predator" thing going on?

Brave man! I like that! You might slip through who knows?! I just dont get how Amateur Surgeon is the only Mature rated game in the store. Why can't they do it for ALL games with RED blood? ;)

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Brave man! I like that! You might slip through who knows?! I just dont get how Amateur Surgeon is the only Mature rated game in the store. Why can't they do it for ALL games with RED blood? ;)

Because all games don't come from Adult Swim. ;)

Definitely some preferential treatment happening for the big names out there. :(

CDubby94
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM

You can decapitate in Hero of Sparta, so at least there's a glimmer of hope it'll get through. Although in HoS, you're fighting creatures not humans and their blood is green...

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
You can decapitate in Hero of Sparta, so at least there's a glimmer of hope it'll get through. Although in HoS, you're fighting creatures not humans and their blood is green...

I probably should have played Hero of Sparta. Fortunately or unfortunately, I did not. This way I can't be accused of stealing any ideas!:eek:

Kris Jones
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Sorry guys, still no game play video. I will try to get some by Wednesday.

This is an interface concept. It is one of the final things we would like to nail down before our launch. Obviously it is rough and we expect to make it much "prettier."

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6127/interfacesparta.png

conrem
04-14-2009, 01:24 AM
not bad at all.

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 01:28 AM
not bad at all.

conrem, your signature says Bowman co-developer. The one from Lentrica software?

conrem
04-14-2009, 01:30 AM
conrem, your signature says Bowman co-developer. The one from Lentrica software?

yes.

CDubby94
04-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Polish that up and that will look like a great 2D side scroller.

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Polish that up and that will look like a great 2D side scroller.

Thanks. When I read Polish, I couldn't stop thinking about Polish sausages! Weird, I know.

TheOZ
04-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I have two questions sorry if they've already been answered, but just wondering will there be more weapons or are you only using a sword and is the release due for this or next month?

foppajoe
04-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry guys, still no game play video. I will try to get some by Wednesday.

This is an interface concept. It is one of the final things we would like to nail down before our launch. Obviously it is rough and we expect to make it much "prettier."

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6127/interfacesparta.png

Where's the jump button?:confused: What do the 3 buttons do? Combos, perhaps?

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I have two questions sorry if they've already been answered, but just wondering will there be more weapons or are you only using a sword and is the release due for this or next month?

We were originally planning for swords, spears, and a variety of bows. However, those will come in version 1.5. For the first release, it would be swords, shields, and physical attacks (kicking).

We are hoping to have it released on the AppStore before the end of April.

TheOZ
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Sounds good! Looks like I might be purchasing this game after all. It looks like a Zombieville, Hero of Sparta mix which are both two games that I played the crap out of.

I also noticed that there is no health bar but there are lives, does that mean one hit equals one lost life?

Background graphics are great by the way! I do/did alittle art so im a sucker for nice looking graphics, but the only thing killing me right now is that UI, but since you said it's rough I'll take your word and save my opinion for the final build.

Good Luck!

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Sounds good! Looks like I might be purchasing this game after all. It looks like a Zombieville, Hero of Sparta mix which are both two games that I played the crap out of.

I also noticed that there is no health bar but there are lives, does that mean one hit equals one lost life?

Background graphics are great by the way! I do/did alittle art so im a sucker for nice looking graphics, but the only thing killing me right now is that UI, but since you said it's rough I'll take your word and save my opinion for the final build.

Good Luck!

Actually, in that concept interface, the sword was the health bar. The sword gets shorter as the player gets hurt. Once the blade is gone, the player will die.

It is a little, confusing, isn't it? No, one hit does not equal one death. There are 8 types of enemies, some much harder than others. The icons are see through since they were concept and we didn't want to do too much detail.

TheOZ
04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually, in that concept interface, the sword was the health bar. The sword gets shorter as the player gets hurt. Once the blade is gone, the player will die.

It is a little, confusing, isn't it? No, one hit does not equal one death. There are 8 types of enemies, some much harder than others. The icons are see through since they were concept and we didn't want to do too much detail.

Oh nice even better! I like creative ideas like that. Wow im getting more and more interested in this game everytime I come to this thread....

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh nice even better! I like creative ideas like that. Wow im getting more and more interested in this game everytime I come to this thread....

Sweet! Mission Accomplished! :D

supg328911
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM

by the way i love the control sceme you got right now i dont care if its just a ruff version but it still looks good, and i also like the sword health bar concept, im really looking forward to this game...

Chumbake
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM

That's actually what I was thinking the sword was.

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
That's actually what I was thinking the sword was.

It may only stay this way for version 1.0 since we are trying to come up with the optimal weapon switching system, meaning such a health bar could confuse users.

Kris Jones
04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I edited the first thread to include more detailed information, such as pricing points and version updates, along with information on the competition.

Kris Jones
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Do you think good music within the game or the ability to play your own music from iTunes is more important?

pante
04-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Do you think good music within the game or the ability to play your own music from iTunes is more important?

both.

Chumbake
04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I have to agree with Pante. If it has poor music it will get bad reviews, if you can't play your own music, it will get negative reviews.

hirschy75
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM

agreed, both are important but i would say first should come in game music and the ability to use our own music could be in a later update

supg328911
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
agreed, both are important but i would say first should come in game music and the ability to use our own music could be in a later update

im with you, i think that would be a better decision

Kris Jones
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
im with you, i think that would be a better decision

We are definitely going to have quality background music that motivates the battle for the Hero.

I'll let Touch Arcade know if we are going to include the ability to play your own music. Our stuff is Lord of the Rings-ish to fight the era, but I also know some prefer to listen to their modern rock or heavy metal when they are slaying baddies!

supg328911
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
We are definitely going to have quality background music that motivates the battle for the Hero.

I'll let Touch Arcade know if we are going to include the ability to play your own music. Our stuff is Lord of the Rings-ish to fight the era, but I also know some prefer to listen to their modern rock or heavy metal when they are slaying baddies!

haha thats true, i normally listen to my own but sometimes i just want whats in the game...

arta
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Video?

Kris Jones
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Video?

Hopefully by this weekend.

I uploaded some video, but the format does not do the video quality justice. The movement in that video looks INCREDIBLY choppy/laggy, unlike the actual game. It would ruin sales if I uploaded! :eek:

CDubby94
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Take your time and create a good video so that the game is even more appealing. You already have screenshots out so don't rush and create a video that does the opposite of its job.

Swordplay
04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
You should have the option of Being a goddess of war like nariko from heavenly sword.

Kris Jones
04-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh, my...the innuendo....;)

What? What is this you are talking about? Everyone knows that the length of a man's sword was the measurement of his manliness. Nobody wants a man with a short or deformed sword.

Just kidding! It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Kris Jones
04-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Uploaded "Main Menu" Screenshot along with 2 others.

MetroGnome217
04-18-2009, 08:06 AM
The screenshots are improving
This game is really comingtogether
Any word on beta testing yet?

kieranvanpinxteren
04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Everbody can you shut up about beta testing!!!!he already said no becuae the game is to be submitted on the 20th! Also this is the upcoming games forum not the beta test forums!:mad:

kieranvanpinxteren
04-18-2009, 09:10 AM
If you really want to beta test go to y8.com and search for the game Achilles. It is an alpha tiny version of this game.

Palfince
04-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Those screenshots look great! I can't wait for the game.

MetroGnome217
04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
If you really want to beta test go to y8.com and search for the game Achilles. It is an alpha tiny version of this game.

Is this game even made by Pocket Monkey?
and you dont have to get so mad!

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 10:43 AM
We are going to be skipping public beta. The game is not large enough to warrant beta like that, since we are moving so quickly. Promo codes will hopefully be a nice gesture! ;)

TheOZ
04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Everbody can you shut up about beta testing!!!!he already said no becuae the game is to be submitted on the 20th! Also this is the upcoming games forum not the beta test forums!:mad:

Try calming down yea? It's actually not the that serious and he's like one of the few people who has asked to beta test in like the 10 pages.
This bandwagon jumping on is getting annoying were all these members just blow up and attack members who ask questions that you can easily ignore or even very simply answer. We all know it's really not that annoying and your not helping by yelling if anything you make it worse....

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Madness? This is Sparta: Lords of War!

Aurora
04-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Pricing point is usually the biggest question when it comes to new games and we are happy to share that we are launching it a only $.99 along with a "Lite" Version to convince the unbelievers.

More on Pricing: Version 1.0 will be priced at $.99. Version 1.5 including 15 new weapons, new game modes, more enemies, and more maps will be priced at $1.99. Final build, version 2.0, will be priced at 3.99 and the major update for that would be online multiplayer.

Uhh so the game is $3.99? Or will it be on sale for $0.99 for now and go back to $3.99?

(We didn't think it was necessary since it's a game about Spartans. How can you not buy it?)

Not sure what this comment was supposed to hint overconfidence or what? I don't even know what Spartans is Oo.

Palfince
04-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Uhh so the game is $3.99? Or will it be on sale for $0.99 for now and go back to $3.99?

When the game first comes out as V1.0 it will be $0.99.

When V1.5 comes out as an update the game will be put up to $1.99.

When V2.0 comes out as an update the game will be put up to $3.99.

So basically the game will start off cheap and will get more expensive as more features are added via updates.

Not sure what this comment was supposed to hint overconfidence or what? I don't even know what Spartans is Oo.

Everyone likes Spartans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(film)) (they are ancient warriors from Sparta). :D

CDubby94
04-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey I know the date is probably in this thread somewhere, but I'm just too lazy to check so when are you submitting the game? April 20th?

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey I know the date is probably in this thread somewhere, but I'm just too lazy to check so when are you submitting the game? April 20th?

That's the plan, my man.

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 01:16 PM
As soon as we get it submitted, I will send arn everything he needs to do a review, including video, screen shots, along with a release build so he can do a review for you guys.

We also will have a lite version for anyone on the fence about it.

supg328911
04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
As soon as we get it submitted, I will send arn everything he needs to do a review, including video, screen shots, along with a release build so he can do a review for you guys.

We also will have a lite version for anyone on the fence about it.

thats a good idea one of the other devs said that just being fetured on the fron page of ta increased sales by a ton so hopefully it will do the same for you

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 07:48 PM
thats a good idea one of the other devs said that just being fetured on the fron page of ta increased sales by a ton so hopefully it will do the same for you

I would be eternally grateful if Arn, Blake, or Eli would give this game or any of my games a review. I wonder if they know they can make or break peoples dreams? :D

However, I am also very aware they are VERY busy with their reviews and won't "demand" them to review me. But we can keep our fingers crossed!

supg328911
04-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I wonder if they know they can make or break peoples dreams? :D

haha that had me laughing lol, way put put the guilt trip on them :D

Kris Jones
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
haha that had me laughing lol, way put put the guilt trip on them :D

Hah! Well, that wasn't the intent, but if it works, sweet!

Just kidding. It would be a bad business model to rate games based on "guilt" rather than the merit of the actual game. Right, arn???? ;)

jmhanson11
04-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Wait, so when is this coming out?

anduril_ukr
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Wait, so when is this coming out?

They will try to submit tomorrow (the 20th), and so it will probably come out the 27th or 28th

Kris Jones
04-19-2009, 04:28 PM
They will try to submit tomorrow (the 20th), and so it will probably come out the 27th or 28th

Yes, what Anduril said.

Let's keep in mind that Apple is not always consistent in their review policy. This game has violence along with decapitation (the Spartan can cut off the heads of his enemies.)

If not rejected, hopefully by the end of this month. If rejected, mid-May.

Review process may also take more than 2-3 weeks. I think Saucelifter took about a month or more.

supg328911
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Hah! Well, that wasn't the intent, but if it works, sweet!

Just kidding. It would be a bad business model to rate games based on "guilt" rather than the merit of the actual game. Right, arn???? ;)

haha ya i geuse but hey you would still get a good review lol jk :D

CDubby94
04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but if the game has red blood and pretty strong violence, there's a pretty good chance of it getting rejected.

What I'm trying to say is, be prepared to make whatever changes neccessary so we can see this title in the app store as quick as possible.

Spiral75
04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Strange thing is, is that there are lots of apps with blood. Hacking ragdolls with chainsaws etc. Man Apple is strange in their methods

jmhanson11
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM

This and Zenonia within such a short period is nice.

Kris Jones
04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
This and Zenonia within such a short period is nice.

Thanks! But I would hardly think Sparta is on par with Zenonia. At least not yet. I am but ONE man working on this project. I plan on Sparta: Lords of War to get bigger and better over time by eventually adding RPG elements (upgrade strength, health, weapon stats) and online play with arena dueling and cooperative mode.

iGame
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks! But I would hardly think Sparta is on par with Zenonia. At least not yet. I am but ONE man working on this project. I plan on Sparta: Lords of War to get bigger and better over time by eventually adding RPG elements (upgrade strength, health, weapon stats) and online play with arena dueling and cooperative mode.

This game shreds Zenonia to pieces!!!

arta
04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
This game shreds Zenonia to pieces!!!

Yeeeahokaythen

Kris Jones
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeeeahokaythen

There is good and bad to being so active in the forums when you are a developer. You get really excited when people praise the game, but it is also depressing to see the criticism. (No one has done this yet since the game hasn't been released, of course.)

I encourage everyone here to view the new thread when it is released because I am virtually on TouchArcade at all times since I have a permanent tab for it and I will be looking forward to feedback, constructive criticisms (this game sux it shuld B free!!! doesn't help) and any additional comments. Thanks

arta
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
There is good and bad to being so active in the forums when you are a developer. You get really excited when people praise the game, but it is also depressing to see the criticism. (No one has done this yet since the game hasn't been released, of course.)

I encourage everyone here to view the new thread when it is released because I am virtually on TouchArcade at all times since I have a permanent tab for it and I will be looking forward to feedback, constructive criticisms (this game sux it shuld B free!!! doesn't help) and any additional comments. Thanks

I'm not dissing your game but Zenonia already looks to be an incredible game on an epic scale while all we've seen from Sparta is character art and menu screens. So having 2-3 big threads about it, topping it off with a poster saying it destroys what looks like the iPhone's Zelda...

CDubby94
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Well was it submitted Kris!?

Kris Jones
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Well was it submitted Kris!?

Not yet! But I just woke up. Need to fix some strange issues. (For some reason the bad guys heads will pop off and float by themselves...?!?!?)

CDubby94
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Haha okay well keep us posted on any news!

Big Albie
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not dissing your game but Zenonia already looks to be an incredible game on an epic scale while all we've seen from Sparta is character art and menu screens. So having 2-3 big threads about it, topping it off with a poster saying it destroys what looks like the iPhone's Zelda...

I agree with you that making claims at this stage is probably not the wisest thing to do and the multiple threads can be a bit much. At the same time, I don't consider Zenonia all that until it's released. Every notable game seems to go through this big hype mode, and most of the time, it's a disappointment or fails to meet expectations when it finally is released.

Kris Jones
04-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree with you that making claims at this stage is probably not the wisest thing to do and the multiple threads can be a bit much. At the same time, I don't consider Zenonia all that until it's released. Every notable game seems to go through this big hype mode, and most of the time, it's a disappointment or fails to meet expectations when it finally is released.

You are absolutely right, but I was not the one who made those claims that my game was superior to Zenonia. I'm pretty sure that person was being sarcastic or just encouraging. :D

Also, the multiple thread thing isn't accurate. I made a thread so that TouchArcade could name this game, which you guys did, and this thread. The original name was "iSpartan." (Thanks for saving me from that! ;) ) I'm actually uncomfortable with such hype due to the common disappointment factor, but I can't do anything about that now.

STP_Tim
04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
This game and Zenonia are two totally different games... why are we comparing them in the first place?

arta
04-20-2009, 02:35 PM

But that's when we've usually seen nothing about the game. Here you can see the complete Zenonia game from Korea if you know where to look, and it already got great reviews. All they did is make the controls works for the iPhone and add more content so it's a safe bet.

Anyway, back on topic.

Big Albie
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
You are absolutely right, but I was not the one who made those claims that my game was superior to Zenonia. I'm pretty sure that person was being sarcastic or just encouraging. :D

Also, the multiple thread thing isn't accurate. I made a thread so that TouchArcade could name this game, which you guys did, and this thread. The original name was "iSpartan." (Thanks for saving me from that! ;) ) I'm actually uncomfortable with such hype due to the common disappointment factor, but I can't do anything about that now.

Don't misunderstand me Kris...I'm not saying you did any of this. I was pointing out the dynamics of comments in a forum and how they can snowball for better or for worse. I can tell you don't like the hype either because it creates lofty and mostly unrealistic expectations. From a games standpoint, I'm looking forward to Sparta...been on my list since I first heard about it.

Kris Jones
04-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't misunderstand me Kris...I'm not saying you did any of this. I was pointing out the dynamics of comments in a forum and how they can snowball for better or for worse. I can tell you don't like the hype either because it creates lofty and mostly unrealistic expectations. From a games standpoint, I'm looking forward to Sparta...been on my list since I first heard about it.

No worries, Albie. You are a respected member of the TA community and you are right on all accounts about the hype.

BUT I DON'T CARE AS LONG AS I GET RICH!!! MAWAHAHAH! I mean... jk?;)

CDubby94
04-20-2009, 07:50 PM
No worries, Albie. You are a respected member of the TA community and you are right on all accounts about the hype.

BUT I DON'T CARE AS LONG AS I GET RICH!!! MAWAHAHAH! I mean... jk?;)

Isn't that honestly the point of creating games? No worries in wanting money bro, you work hard for it, you earn it.

supg328911
04-20-2009, 10:57 PM
This game and Zenonia are two totally different games... why are we comparing them in the first place?

im with you on this one, why the heck are we comparing two completely different games, zenonia is pretty much just zelda (which i never liked in the first place) and sparta is like zombieville so both are very different....personally im looking forward to sparta more because i dont like the zelda type games...

theone1007
04-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, Sparta missed its aimed release date. Oh well, as long as this game totally rocks all those other half-baked games out of the water!

Sparta ftw!

TheOZ
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, Sparta missed its aimed release date. Oh well, as long as this game totally rocks all those other half-baked games out of the water!

Sparta ftw!

What do you mean? The intended release date is from April 26-29th I think you are talking about the submission date and how do you know they didn't submit it?

KrisJones what is your role in this game are you a publisher or are you the developer or both?

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 01:36 AM
KrisJones what is your role in this game are you a publisher or are you the developer or both?

Both. Technically, I am a one man team. Some stuff I contract out to others, mainly music and sound effects. I wrote the story and game design document. My brother helped me with the art. I also handle the marketing, business management, and public relations.

21duc29
04-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Hey do you have any more screenshots? Video teaser? Sorry... too many pages to read through.

Looks good..looks like a Zombieville type game ;-)

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey do you have any more screenshots? Video teaser? Sorry... too many pages to read through.

Looks good..looks like a Zombieville type game ;-)

I'll get a video. I don't have a camera. I might just post my older video where I simply turned around my MacBook and used the built-in camera! :)

Zombieville, Alien Hominid, and Castle Crashers were the inspiration for this. I'm surprised how far I got for my first game in a little over a month.

Also I fixed most of the problems, but once I load the game onto my iPod 2nd Gen, the sound is off. It seems to have a 2 second delay. Once that is fixed, I should be able to submit tonight to stay with an April release.

Big Albie
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear things are on track. It's always a task to make sure everything works and you have all the pieces together. Can't wait to see the video.

Chumbake
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear things are on track. It's always a task to make sure everything works and you have all the pieces together. Can't wait to see the video.

I'm looking forward to the video too. I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but also not trying to get too hyped.

TheOZ
04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Both. Technically, I am a one man team. Some stuff I contract out to others, mainly music and sound effects. I wrote the story and game design document. My brother helped me with the art. I also handle the marketing, business management, and public relations.

Oh wow, I thought you were the publisher just being the spokesperson for the game on these forums, but then looked at your sig and I got alittle confuse, but it all makes perfect sense now. Anyways nice. Im also looking forward to alittle video to see what the game really plays like.

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh wow, I thought you were the publisher just being the spokesperson for the game on these forums, but then looked at your sig and I got alittle confuse, but it all makes perfect sense now. Anyways nice. Im also looking forward to alittle video to see what the game really plays like.

Yeah, I understand the confusion. When I say "producer", I mean developer. ;) I created "Pocket Monkey Games" as a publisher also because it is my dream to compete with the big stars, such as ngmoco, chillingo, and freeverse. Someday, maybe. Just have to prove myself now. :)

jmhanson11
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I understand the confusion. When I say "producer", I mean developer. ;) I created "Pocket Monkey Games" as a publisher also because it is my dream to compete with the big stars, such as ngmoco, chillingo, and freeverse. Someday, maybe. Just have to prove myself now. :)

If this turns out as good as it looks, then you will prove yourself.

MetroGnome217
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM

I hope you get that famous too!
Can you make applications on a PC?
does apple have any plans to port the software?

Back on topic:
will this game have a story or just kill people?

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Back on topic:
will this game have a story or just kill people?

Yes.

In the final build, I intend to have an indepth story mode/campaign
and a survival mode where you simply kill people until you die.

I was trying to do a zombieville-esque game set in ancient Sparta. So far, I have far more character animations, but no zombies... :(

The multiplayer is expected to add longevity to the game so you can play with some friends.

foppajoe
04-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Did you have 2 accounts on TA- Kris Jones and PocketMonkey Games?

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Did you have 2 accounts on TA- Kris Jones and PocketMonkey Games?

Let's be careful here. It is NOT ALLOWED for a single person to have multiple accounts.

PocketMonkey is the company account which is NOT used by me. It was created by someone else who helps me with the public relations aspect. They only were on like once or twice. She is a college student who is in Europe right now, but that account will be back up whenever she logs on, not me, but they both represent whatever games I make.

So the answer is NO. Stop trying to get me in trouble with arn! ;)

CDubby94
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm guessing it hasn't been submitted yet?

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm guessing it hasn't been submitted yet?

Don't be so sure.

I'm thinking about not saying it has been submitted because I don't want people to get hyped then have the game rejected.

CDubby94
04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Don't be so sure.

I'm thinking about not saying it has been submitted because I don't want people to get hyped then have the game rejected.

Haha well okay. I know you don't like hype because you don't want people to build up a game in their mind more than it actually is but I would welcome the hype! At least people are interested in your game you know?

But yeah I agree you don't want people screaming bloody murder if it gets rejected or doesn't release on its intended date. Look at that Car Jack Streets mess...

foppajoe
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Let's be careful here. It is NOT ALLOWED for a single person to have multiple accounts.

PocketMonkey is the company account which is NOT used by me. It was created by someone else who helps me with the public relations aspect. They only were on like once or twice. She is a college student who is in Europe right now, but that account will be back up whenever she logs on, not me, but they both represent whatever games I make.

So the answer is NO. Stop trying to get me in trouble with arn! ;)

haha. sorry. I didnt know you couldn't have 2 accounts.

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Here is a video from a couple of weeks ago. I apologize for the quality of the video. I have someone coming out soon to do an HD video.

This was a 5 week project, and this video shows the development at 3 weeks. A lot has been tweaked and changed, but so many are asking for a video, so I decided to post this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhpvIbh1Cyw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhpvIbh1Cyw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

supg328911
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
wow i definitely see the zombieville in this now...looks great i still cant wait..

Chumbake
04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I'll buy it!

Kris Jones
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I added the dev video to the first page as well.

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I keep finding sites that seem to steal information from the TA forums to preview this game, yet they don't actually seem to read everything. Like these Germans: German Article (http://www.yigg.de/toolbar/computerspiel/sparta-lords-of-war-stuermt-das-iphone-presshome)

Big Albie
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I keep finding sites that seem to steal information from the TA forums to preview this game, yet they don't actually seem to read everything. Like these Germans: German Article (http://www.yigg.de/toolbar/computerspiel/sparta-lords-of-war-stuermt-das-iphone-presshome)

Can't read German, but if it's not bad, then tell people you meant for that to happen and chalk it up to your viral marketing plan :rolleyes:

Varkman
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
It can be tough to preview a game without being sent a preview build ahead of the release ;)

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Can't read German, but if it's not bad, then tell people you meant for that to happen and chalk it up to your viral marketing plan :rolleyes:

Lol. I can't read German either, so who knows if it is good or bad. (Except German speakers, of course.) I can make out that they are comparing it to the movie "300", which I believe is good, right?

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 01:21 PM
It can be tough to preview a game without being sent a preview build ahead of the release ;)

I am going to send arn (or TouchArcade) the first preview build. I got my start here on TouchArcade, so I thought that it would be cool to have this be the first place where I demonstrate what I have finished. If the reviewers here are too swamped, since many highly anticipated titles are coming around the same time as mine, then I may send it to others for reviews.

BigFood
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Lol. I can't read German either, so who knows if it is good or bad. (Except German speakers, of course.) I can make out that they are comparing it to the movie "300", which I believe is good, right?

It's a positive review, so nothing to worry about there... :)

I can't wait for this game to come out!

CDubby94
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow this game really does look great!

Nice graphics and an epic soundtrack :D

Keep doing your thing PocketMonkey Games

Big Albie
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM

I think that's a good thing depending on whether or not you liked the movie :)

On that note, I think it's a good idea to send pre-release builds to reviewers...make the process as easy as possible.

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow this game really does look great!

Nice graphics and an epic soundtrack :D

Keep doing your thing PocketMonkey Games

Thanks Dubby. The soundtrack was the hardest to come up with. Sound is vital for games, in my opinion.

MetroGnome217
04-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Here is the transltion of the German article (Freetranslation.com)

"That is Spartaaaa!!!" - So, or so similarly it must close in the new game of the PocketMonkeys. Also if we do not speak here about the well known film with the 300 Spartanern, let's think that "Sparta: Lord of was find can" just as harmony in the App Store. As an Arthos, hero of Sparta, one must protect its homeland against all kinds of Fieslinge, above all against the rivals of the persian. In order to subdue also the strongest the strongest, it is to be revalued possible its equipment and show to bring through strategic trains with sign and sword the opponent to the stretch first Screenshots out of the Toucharcade forum at least quite illustrated level and characters; be driven this apparently per Buttons on the Touchscreen. He, who hopes here to be sure for an expanded story, will not be placed unconditionally satisfied. "Sparta: Lord
of was will become is is raised" a classic Scoring title; the start price about 0.79€, later this on 1.79€. The developers of PocketMonkeys hope that the Game appears yet this month. We are strained. •sz

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Here is the transltion of the German article (Freetranslation.com)

"That is Spartaaaa!!!" - So, or so similarly it must close in the new game of the PocketMonkeys. Also if we do not speak here about the well known film with the 300 Spartanern, let's think that "Sparta: Lord of was find can" just as harmony in the App Store. As an Arthos, hero of Sparta, one must protect its homeland against all kinds of Fieslinge, above all against the rivals of the persian. In order to subdue also the strongest the strongest, it is to be revalued possible its equipment and show to bring through strategic trains with sign and sword the opponent to the stretch first Screenshots out of the Toucharcade forum at least quite illustrated level and characters; be driven this apparently per Buttons on the Touchscreen. He, who hopes here to be sure for an expanded story, will not be placed unconditionally satisfied. "Sparta: Lord
of was will become is is raised" a classic Scoring title; the start price about 0.79€, later this on 1.79€. The developers of PocketMonkeys hope that the Game appears yet this month. We are strained. •sz

Lol! I hope they see a doctor since "They are strained." Strained where, my German friends, strained where?

MetroGnome217
04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
maybe it means excited??

BigFood
04-22-2009, 04:02 PM
It means curious. But yeah, you could say excited.

foppajoe
04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
this game looks pretty much exactly like achilles on y8.com

which is good cuz i love that game. :)

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 07:48 PM
this game looks pretty much exactly like achilles on y8.com

which is good cuz i love that game. :)

I did study that for this game. :)

Glowz
04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I did study that for this game. :)

Any info on the "test" e-mails going out anytime soon? [If they already haven't]

And the promo code winners will get the codes via email [or toucharcade] a day..hour....week after release of game?

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Any info on the "test" e-mails going out anytime soon? [If they already haven't]

And the promo code winners will get the codes via email [or toucharcade] a day..hour....week after release of game?

I simply did eternal beta, sorry guys.

Promo codes out the day of release

CDubby94
04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I simply did eternal beta, sorry guys.

Promo codes out the day of release

Eternal Beta! Sounds like some Windows OS.

Kris Jones
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Eternal Beta! Sounds like some Windows OS.

lol! that is funny.

Kris Jones
04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
A lite should be available alongside the release.

I encourage everyone to try it out to decide if they want the full game. Wouldn't that be strange if Apple rejected the Lite and accepted the Full Version?

CDubby94
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
A lite should be available alongside the release.

I encourage everyone to try it out to decide if they want the full game. Wouldn't that be strange if Apple rejected the Lite and accepted the Full Version?

Has that ever happened before?

K.D!
04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Has that ever happened before?

Hmmm... not really sure. Though I seem to remember the guy who made Globs saying something about the Lite version taking longer to be approved than the full game. :confused:

MetroGnome217
04-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey kris,
any news on the submition?
did you submit the full and lite at the same time?

Kris Jones
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey kris,
any news on the submition?
did you submit the full and lite at the same time?

It has been submitted, but I was hoping it would be out by now. Yes. I want it to come out first before it is reviewed, just so that when anyone see's it, they can immediately download.

supg328911
04-25-2009, 02:42 PM
It has been submitted, but I was hoping it would be out by now. Yes. I want it to come out first before it is reviewed, just so that when anyone see's it, they can immediately download.

how long has it been in submition...

TheOZ
04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I see another title in your signature(Reckoning) could that be a new game you are working on?

MetroGnome217
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
ya what is reckoning?

Kris Jones
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
ya what is reckoning?

That is another title that is in pre-production. Hopefully released in June sometime.

supg328911
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
That is another title that is in pre-production. Hopefully released in June sometime.

can you tell us what it is about or does it have to wait..