High end games crashing on iPad 2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gonzoblair, Dec 1, 2013.

1. gonzoblair

gonzoblair Member

Aug 9, 2012
    There's a disturbing new trend I'm noticing on a lot of these expensive premium titles in the App Store. Titles that charge you $10 to $20 that don't even run on your iDevice. The store claims they're compatible:

[​IMG]

But what happens after customers pay for them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And XCOM isn't the only offender. Shadowrun and Magic 2014 both sell gamers an app that doesn't even work on many of their devices:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Between the 3 of them, I'm now about $50 poorer and a miserable owner of three expensive games that simply will not run on my iPad 2. And yet when I went to purchase them, they were clearly listed as compatible with the device.

So what gives? How is this a legal practice? It's not that I don't have sympathy for developers struggling to patch bugs, but I do not understand how a process as restrictive as Apple's app store review process somehow manages to sell these games months after it's become clear that a large number of customers are getting completely screwed. They're paying for a product and getting something that does not work at all.

If it were just 1 game you might be able to get a refund and chalk it up as an isolated incident, but lately especially after the iOS 7 update, it's multiple titles and no end in sight. These games have been out for MONTHS and they still do not work for many paying customers.

The most important virtue of a closed ecosystem like the one Apple sells to consumers is supposed to be guaranteeing a consistent and quality user experience. This is absolutely not it.

2. Are these ios 7 related, update related, or just never worked?

3. gonzoblair

gonzoblair Member

Aug 9, 2012
    #3 gonzoblair, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    Most have always had the crashes. Xcom and Shadowrun were always crash heavy. Magic 2014 was made unplayable after the update. But looking around the store it's obvious that this trend of releasing broken apps and selling them for devices they clearly don't run on has been going for months if not longer. It's a terrible customer experience.

I haven't bought these games but I see this on two other major (and high priced) titles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't have it installed on my iPad 2 right now, but XCOM worked for me on that device when it was released...

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    So what exactly is the difference between ipad 2 and ipad mini?

i thought they had the same specs, but all these games work flawlessly on my mini except Shadowrun, but even that only had very few crashes that happen only after playing at least 2 hours in one sitting.

i've been on iOS6.x though, so if iOS7 may have caused the crashes, would that be the dev's fault or Apple's?

6. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    The iPad 2 has 140MB RAM? I thought it had 512 MB.

7. What I don't get is why Apple chose to make the ipad 2, the lower end model of the ipad air. I feel sorry for those people that try to save $100, especially if one buys one before the ipad pro comes out.

8. gonzoblair

gonzoblair Member

Aug 9, 2012
    From the reviews and comments on the App Store, it looks like the most common devices to get the crashing are the iPad 2, the 1st gen iPad Mini, and the iPod Touch 4th gen.

9. I don't even game on my iphone 4 anymore since it is almost extinct, I think I will convert it to an mp3 player.