Crippled Lite Version or Full Lite Version with Ads

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tntapps, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tntapps

tntapps Member

Sep 25, 2009
    So we just launched an app called Nok Hockey. As we are in the midst of finalizing the Lite version of it, we're a bit torn between the following 2 methods of functionality for the Lite version:

a) a crippled lite version with limited functionality and NO ads
    b) a lite version with ads and more functionality (but not as much as the fully paid version)

It could be a situation of 6 of one or a half-dozen of the other, but we respect opinions on this forum and if the responses lean one way or another, that will probably help us decide.

Thanks!
    TNT Apps

2. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

If your sales are doing well, I would suggest just having a normal lite. However, if you have been lacking sales I would reccommend full featured ads as they will make you money.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You should make this a poll!

Put me down for no adds. ;)

4. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    No ads for me!

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The developers I talked to at GDC seemed to be having great luck with fuller-featured lite versions with advertising. The feature-limited lites often don't provide a very good idea of what the full version is like, and as a developer you gain nothing by having someone download your free game if they don't buy the full version.

With advertisements, you can at least make some money on the deal, even if it's pocket change. It all adds up.

I'd take a look at Harbor Master's lite for a good example of a great lite with advertising. This is kind of the wrong forum to be asking something like this though because all the responses you're going to get are knee-jerk "NO ADS!" responses. If you're actually looking to turn iPhone development in to a profitable business you can live off of, the answer should be clear which direction is better to take your lite.

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lites with 30 seconds of play tend to piss me off and get deleted immediately. I may leave it on if I want to think about getting the full, but that is rare. I may buy the full anyway (like I did for parachute panic for example, which has a 30 second lite) but that is usually on the strength of love here at TA rather then the 30 seconds I played.

Full featured lites with subtle and not terribly bothersome adds may stay on the device forever if I like it. It doesnt mean I will necessarily buy the full, but sometimes something will click, I will decide I'm playing it enough that I dont wanna see adds.

A recent example is paradudes. If it was a hobbled lite, it would be a delete and never buy. As it is, the lite which has subtle adds is staying on the device, at least for now. I may well never buy it, it isnt something I consider all that compelling, but right now I'm definitely playing it once in a while.