Game closest to EDF: IA or MH.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by saansilt, Dec 4, 2013.

1. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello all.
    I was wondering, are there any games like earth defense force insect armageddon on iOS? Or something like monster hunter with a focus on guns?
    I already tried Invader hunter and Frontier gunners. Frontier gunners has a few issuses, but the biggest one is the online requirement, that doesn't let me play offline.
    Any offline TPSes with an EDF IA or MH vibe?
    Anything upcoming that I missed?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Invader Hunter is the closest we have to an MH game.

You can check out Heroes & Castles. There are ranged classes that you can focus on levelling up first. Difference is the lack of tactical Boss Battles as the gameplay is more wave-based defense type, but it does a lot of things right.

Although it has a different combat system as it's more considered a 3D shoot em up, Liberation Maiden has some things in common with Monster Hunter like Boss hit locations, searching for the bosses or luring them out, but none of the upgrade system. The combat is pretty sweet though.

Most iOS games i can compare to MH are usually more melee based rather than ranged as you require. There's Infinity Blade Trilogy and its clones, maybe Horn could be the closest one. Then there's Maximus, Wraithborne and The Gods Uprising which have really good skill-based boss battles, but more of a top-down view.

Having said these, ultimately, as of now, we are stuck with Invader Hunter to scratch that MH itch. It does a lot of things right, although it may not be a perfect game.

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The rocket launcher focus, arrgh.
    Frontier gunners is sssooooo close to what I want to see but it has issuses and is online only.
    FG has a nice infantry feel to it , IH feels like I am playing a warhammer space marine who adores rockets too much.