Need help finding the right RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RLennon, Dec 3, 2013.

1. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I was hoping you guys can help me find just the right RPG for the IPhone based on the following stipulations:

- NOT an Action RPG
    - Graphics are not a big concern.
    - Party based. I would like to control multiple characters at one time
    - A good quality combat/leveling/class system

I know that the Final Fantasy series meets these criteria. However, I have already played them, and would rather spend my $$$ on something new. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The Kemco JRPGs. There are tons of them, typically around the 99ยข price point when on sale.

Or get at Avernum or Avadon if you prefer a turn based Oblivion type of WRPG.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch

4. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #4 krautboy, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Avernum and Avadon are ipad only.
    Adventure bar story was a real treat,for me at least. Chaos Rings series,although the party only contains 2 persons,you get to fight with different pairs. You might find the class system lacking in those,but they are awesome games. But really,check the thread for Adventure bar story.
    Good luck!

Edit:
    Undecroft
    Knights of pen & paper

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I forgot. Even on the iPad, the text for both Avernum and Avaddon were tiny. I won't recommend trying it on a Mini either. But great RPGs though.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For me the best ones i can remember are:

Chaos Rings 2
    Chaos Rings Omega
    Chaos Rings 1
    Doom & Destiny
    Lunar
    Symphony of Origin
    RPG Unlucky Hero
    RPG Dark Gate

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #7 undeadcow, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Fall of Angels
    Silversword

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
  9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Final Fantasy Tactics!

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for iOS is not among the FF games you've run through, and you can stand a bit of TBS in your RPG (most RPGs have tactical combat engines, but this one is a bit more tactical, and the rest of the RPG is just a tad less RPG-y. Still has free roaming, character development, and more dialogue and story than almost any other RPG), then I'd say it fulfills all your other wishes splendidly.

The character development system, in particular, can be a dream for fans of character customization and progression. You can basically mix and match abilities from 22 different jobs, and equip a character with auxiliary abilities from any job that character has unlocked. Makes some for very complex and varied character builds. And the abilities are very varied, and goes beyond the basic attacks, buffs, debuffs and heals, as they affect stuff like movement, what happens when your character is struck, etc.

Also, FFT features one of the most well-developer settings I've come across outside of long series of games, and splendid writing and story (of which it has LOTS). Less in terms of choice in dialogue, though, and in spite of a world which can be freely roamed, the main plot and general story progression are very linear.

For more traditional RPGs (and I use the world traditional very loosely for this one), Knights of Pen and Paper seemed to be quite popular a while back. I never took a liking to it, but you might wanna check it out. It has the party, no action in sight, and graphics which are not a big concern to anyone ;) The levelling/class system is where it might fall short for you, though.

11. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I think the above list is probably about the best of RPG's on the AppStore.
    You might also want to check out Knights of Pen & Paper.
    Also Warlord Revival. You can try it for free and see how it seems to you.
    Chrono Trigger is worth a look if you hadn't tried it before.

12. RLennon

Nov 28, 2013
    I have played FFT and loved it!!!!

I would get that but am concerned about how clunky it would play on the iPhone. Am I just being silly?

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Do you have it anywhere else? No? Then get it! It's my all time favorite! :D install size is 666MB

14. RLennon

Nov 28, 2013
    Original PS1 version

I heard some with concerns about playing on the iPhone small screen

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've actually heard some sentiments to the effect that it is actually easier to control on an iDevice than on the PS. But even if FFT for iOS is far from the most cleverly designed TBS interface- and control-wise, it is definitively easy enough to control to enjoy shamelessly.

And, against odds, even if the controls gets you down, the much improved graphics probably will have you right back up again :)

16. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    For starters, it's a modified port of a port of an updated version so some minor things won't be exactly like the first but only in a weird way. It doesn't have widescreen support so you'll have black borders on the sides. Selecting the right tile might be iffy but you can always cancel. A few other things about not being natively designed for touch but the gameplay is all there together with the fantastic animated cutscenes.

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best RPG on the AppStore in my opinion.
    There's a patch on the way that'll fix some slowdowns in certain situations when using certain spells, so you might want to postpone a purchase until it's released.

It should be out before Christmas.

Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition is coming soon to an AppStore near you too, and if there's a single game that is even better than BG:EE it's BG:EE 2.

I've lost countless hours in these two games over the years on PC, and at least 60 hours on BG:EE on my iPad since it's release.

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If only they'd been available for the iPhone, I'd have found it hard to recommend anything else to the original poster. Much like Spiderweb Software games, they might well have dominated my iPhone gaming time almost entirely.

19. RLennon

Nov 28, 2013
    Original PS1 version

I heard some with concerns about playing on the iPhone small screen

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Um delayed double post? :D

I have been eyeing FFT. I would get it this second but if trends mean anything it should go on sale in a couple weeks before the App Store freeze.

Appshopper shows it has gone on sale 12/19 & 12/20 the last few years. But damn this thread hasn't made it any easier waiting. :D