Are the TA forums still a good place to find beta testers?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rocket5tim, Jun 20, 2014.

1. rocket5tim

rocket5tim Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Game designer
    Toronto Canada
    A few years ago when I needed beta testers for one of our games, the TA forums were full of devs looking for testers. But looking thru the "upcoming" forums lately reveals that there aren't that many devs seeking testers.

Are the TA forums no longer a good place to find good/serious testers? Or are devs just not doing open calls for testers in the forums as much?

2. Morthizerm

Morthizerm Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Most of them are either in time-out, or has been permabanned.

3. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    I can't see any problem for beta testers and developers to promote and seek beta testers

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I think it's still a good place. Just make sure you follow the forum rules. But, I agree that it is being done less than in the past, even a year ago.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think the reason you see less public beta testing now is because most studios have a stable of great beta testers they can email. NimbleBit used to do tons of beta stuff here, for instance, but they don't need to publicize it anymore because all they need to do is send out an email. Most studios seem to be doing very similar things.

6. rocket5tim

rocket5tim Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Game designer
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks for the reply! We have a great group of friends and fellow developers who we call on to help out with beta testing. But I still like the idea of sending builds to folks in communities like the TA Forums for those times when you want unbiased feedback. And who might help spread the word.

That said, we don't want to just send out builds to anyone who asks. We only want to send builds to people who are serious about giving honest feedback and who will send quality, well written bug reports. So when I saw that there weren't a lot of devs asking for testers, I got curious about how things might have changed.

7. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    I think that this is the crux of the issue. I have requested beta testers here in the past and while there were plenty of takers, none of them actually gave me any feedback at all. It is a problem with beta testers in general, not necessarily TA forum users. The problem seems to stem from the fairly new idea that "beta" just means "early access".