Idea: CoD inspired top down Shooter

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shooks, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    #1 Shooks, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    I've been brainstorming and thinking about this for ages.

1)It's a game which copies the Call of Duty formula of leveling up, unlocking weapons, having different classes, and customization of those classes.
    2)The major twist that would make it easier to work on devices is that it would be a top down, dual stick shooter.
    3) Also, since Call of Duty is big on sneaking up, and hiding there would be a big emphasis on line of sight with the player not being able to see a full 360 degrees around him.
    4)Sniping would zoom the screen back to allow greater view distance.
    5)I was thinking if there would be any sort of different heights in the game there would have to be some sort of lock on mechanic where you have to tap on your wanted target and then shoot at him from above/below.

And that's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head. What do you guys think? If I had any sort of developing experience I would definitely make this into an app!

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    It sounds to me like a mix of Alive 4 Ever/Returns and Aftermath... :cool:

3. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    intriguing.... i'd love to see this app idea grow, with some of that 3D 2D GTA graphics for the iphone, with free moving camera that you control, large warzone or ruined city map (at least half of the GTA map). Free roaming allowed, good amount of violence. i'd buy this on day 1 if it were a military version of GTA: CW. seriously.

4. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Yhea, definitely some inspiration from alive4ever/returns aftermath, not so much. (actually don't know about this game:D)

That would be an awesome singleplayer, it might make a game a bit big, and multiplayer would be the focus point.

5. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    i dont care if its a bit big! a quality game deserves a spot on my device!! I crave great free roaming games

6. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    that kind of reminds me of a game called pawn:tactics.

7. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I do know that game, but i don't think you can unlock stuff and level up. Isn't pawn 2d "sidescrolling"? Anyways if you guys want to see some concept art I've come up with let me know. And by concept art I mean general framework of how the game would look. I'm no artist either. All I'm good at is storytelling and making ideas.

8. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Sorry

Hey guys I'll have to hold off on the pics till tomorrow.

9. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    good stuff! always a plus to see someone else on this forum actually posting game ideas!! +1 for imagination & enthusiasm!!!

pro-tip:
    -use bullet points
    -come up with a more specific & informative tittle
    -ignore the haters/trolls

and to comment on your ideas:

i def believe a competitive multi player DSS would sell like craaaaaazy on the App Store... if done right. also taking inspiration from CoD is a good step in the right direction.

the "line of sight" idea is def interesting, ill give you that, but it may actually turn out to be flawed for the type of gameplay you're imagining. then again it might turn out to be something amazing...

10. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    #10 Shooks, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    Thanks cubytes! Those are great pointers/ideas. Definetely will try using bulletpoints and I'm anticipating lots of trolling as well:D.

Also regarding your insight on line of sight, the whole point is to prevent people from knowing were someone is hiding or sneaking up on them. The game can definitely do without just another one of the ideas I thought would add more depth to the game. Thanks again for positive comments. Also,

1) melée kills? (revolves around idea of LoS (Line of Sight)
    2) radar would be small upper right corner

One last thing, is there any way to change thread title? I do agree on Cubytes comment on a better title needed.

11. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    hmm, sounds good, and kind of like killzone: liberation for the psp, especially with the different levels, i'd take a look at that if you wanted some inspiration and ideas of how it could work

12. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Liberation was a fun game but I never got around to multiplayer. I heard it was good. Also,

1) Instead of CoD based it could be like tf2 with different classes complimenting each other and each class having unlockables (still leaning towards earlier CoD idea.)

13. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Ugly Picture Set #1 GO!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, here they are, two ugly sketch/images that yours truly has drawn, we can call that drawing right? Anyways, the one with all the squiggly lines is an example of Line of Sight with objects blocking sight, you can't see behind you, etc... The one on bottom is sans LoS. More info,
    1) Upper left corner, in blue- Ammo followed by weapon. Double tapping has you switch weapons, single tap reload.
    2) Next up at the top, pause button, if you don't know what it does, well good luck to you.
    3) To the right of that is the beautiful health bar! This game can go without it and just use health regeneration, but just put it up there as a possibility.
    4) Last on the top we have the ever helpful radar! Shows enemy positions when firing.
    5) Mid left we have the knife button, kicks out your knife for close range insta kills! Isn't it a beautiful knife.
    6) On the other side of the screen we have the grenades button. Throws selected grenade towards target location. Double tapping has you switching grenades.
    7) Bottom left and Bottom right we have the movement and aiming sticks/analogs. Either one can be movement/aiming.
    8) Finally we have at the bottom center the equipment button. Here you use previously selected equipment and maybe killstreaks?
    9) Center screen we see a beautiful protagonist at the center in green, we also have an aiming reticule locked onto a red enemy right in front of the protagonist. We also have an enemy hiding behind some boxes? And and enemy sneaking up behind the protagonist. Hopefully if such game emerges, it doesn't have my type of art style (It's a classic style called ugly).

Comments welcome!

14. Froggyboby

Froggyboby Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Missouri
    Another way to approach the idea would to think about a multiplayer gta Chinatown wars or Assassins Creed 2 multiplayer iPhone game with guns and the random people removed

15. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I was thinking of COD multiplayer as a ds shooter. Except with original maps, it would be very successful.

16. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for this since the beginning of the app store.
    Killzone: Liberation style games, isometric view but has all the FPS trim like grenades, cover, a plotline!, proper maps not just an open rectangle.

I'd LOVE to see an isometric CS on Dust/Dust2!

I think the evolution IS coming. We've gone from idracula to some more structured iso shooters, like Guerilla Bob.

17. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Exacty my ideas/point of view. Wouldn't it be great for a developer group to take this up? It would be a big undertaking but the rewards would be sweet! Everybody would get this app!

18. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    As you read this, I am compiling a list of awesome weapons and thinking of which developer would make this game the best. And developers, if you read this and are interested PM me.

19. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    the jail escape games on addictinggames would be a good place to look for for some line of sight inspiration. idk exactly what it's called but the guards have line of sight and you can't get in that line of sight or else they catch you. anyways I think that would be a good way to make the line of sight look

20. Shooks

Shooks Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    #20 Shooks, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Assault Rifles

Alright. Here's a list of various modern Assault Rifles that would look good in this game (Considering they've rarely been used in past games). Suggestions are welcome to any addition, within reason. Also, thanks everyone for not being trolls or anything and all the positive comments! :)

Famas F1-French- Still in Service
    Weight- 8.38 pounds
    Capacity- 25 rds
    RoF- 1000 rds/m
    Velocity- 3100 ft/s
    Range- 300 m
    Max- 3200 m

Beretta ARX-160- Italy- ?
    Weight- 6.6 pounds
    Capacity- 30 rds
    RoF- 700 rpm
    Velocity-
    Range- 600
    Max-

OTs-14 Groza-Russian-Yes
    Weight- 4 kg
    Capacity- 20
    RoF- 700
    Velocity- 300 m/s
    Range- 200 meters
    Max- 400 meters

Sar 21-Signapore-Yes
    Weight- 9 ib
    Capacity- 30
    RoF- 450-650
    Velocity- 3182 fps
    Range- 460-800
    Max-

Sig 500-Switzerland-Yes
    Weight- 9 ib
    Capacity- 30
    RoF- 700 rds/min
    Velocity- 911 m/s
    Range- 100-400
    Max-

Daewoo K11-Republic of Korea- Yes
    Weight- 13.45
    Capacity- 20-30
    RoF- 750
    Velocity- 200 m/s
    Range- 500 m
    Max-
    Special note- Equipped with special electronic scope that can be attached to goggles at nightime, laser range finder and ballistics computer, air bursr shells.

Bofors AK5-Belgium/Sweden-? (Yes)
    Weight- 8.6 ib
    Capacity- 30
    RoF- 650-700
    Velocity- 930 m/s
    Range- 250-400 m
    Max-
    Special note- Cold temperature weapon.

Vepr-Ukraine-Yes
    Weight- 3.45 kg
    Capacity- 30
    RoF- 600 rds/m