Splinters and Scissors and Bandaids, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BlindAlbino, Sep 8, 2013.

1. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    If I told you I got these cuts, splinters, paint stains and bandaids on my fingers from developing my first iPad game, would that pique your interest?

Hello everyone out there in the Touch Arcade universe! We are Blind Albino Studios, a newly-formed 3-person team of passionate developers getting ready to dive head first into production on what we feel to be a very unique game for the iPad. As art director for this project, I wanted to test the TA climate a bit to gauge if a stop-motion vertical scroller made from 100% real world, hand made art assets would raise any eyebrows. There will be a humorous and unique narrative to create the setting, followed by somewhat familiar, tried and true gameplay mechanics for a vertical scroller, complete with powerups and more. All this gets visually delivered through art assets made from Dremel tools, paint brushes, wood glue, and my trusty old airbrush. These creations are then captured in a stop-motion camera studio I set up in my garage, and finally brought to life by my talented programmer friend who dazzles me with his coding wizardry. There's original writing, original artwork, original music, and lots of love driving this project.

I need to know from you all in this wonderful community: Is it just me, or is this a project you'd love to hear more about through its development process?

Your responses here to my somewhat silly post might compel my 2 partners to allow me to "leak" some screenshots and news as we progress down our Super Top Secret development journey.

Thanks for reading everyone, and feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    There have been a number of games done like that with various mediums. If done well it can be a unique selling point. There have been some games that look awesome done with clay.

3. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Thanks Destined! That reminds me to ask this community at large if you have any stop-motion-style favorites or if you have simply run across any memorable games done this way. We've researched a few, but haven't found too many that felt like fully realized mobile games.

We liked the inspired playfulness of Clay Jam, and I personally really enjoyed Platypus. With some other titles like Piranha Chase and Agility Dogs, though we loved their potential, we thought they could have pushed further to give the experience more depth and polish. Anyone know of any other titles we could explore?

I'll share some sample images as soon as I can clear them with my team.