Any good strategy games that rival Civilization?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Robert Gentel, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Robert Gentel

Robert Gentel Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Without endless sandbox mode I've gotten about all I can get out of Civilization, but I keep coming back to it as there are no other similar games in iTunes that I can find. Can anyone recommend a strategy game like it with the depth of gameplay that it has?

2. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    UniWar is a great online game, and its campaign actually isn't half bad!

3. Robert Gentel

Oct 3, 2009
    That's one I've actually been considering. The graphics look pretty bad and I know nothing of how it works, which has been what is keeping me from trying it.

Can you give me a basic overview of gameplay. Is it like the Risk board game?

4. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Actually, it's more of like Advance Wars, or a turn based version of Age of Empires. Trust me, the screenshots don't do the game justice. If it's still on sale for 99 cents, grab it while you can. Amazing online multiplayer, three species to choose from (Titans; Cyborg Nation, Khareleans; Insect Nation, Sapiens; Human Nation). Basically, the main objective is to capture all your opponent's bases or make it so that he cannot produce troops from any of his bases (i.e. covering them up with units that cannot capture bases, but it still works). There are flying units, land units, vehicles, naval units, robots, missile launchers, etc. Get it. 5/5 stars IMO. :D Hope that helped!

5. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Just took a look at the screenshots... the units definitely do not look like that in game. In-game, everything is polished and there are numerous idle and attack animations. However, it's $4.99 now...

6. Robert Gentel

Oct 3, 2009
    Alright, I'll give it a try. I'm still trying to see if I can learn to like FIFA, but as soon as I give up on that (and the gameplay makes that a pretty sure bet) I'll download Uniwar.

7. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    Hmm... I was thinking of getting FIFA, but now that you mention it, what do you think of the game? Should I get X2, RS2010, or FIFA? I should be getting some iTunes credit this weekend or early next week, and I'm thinking about buying a football game (otherwise known as soccer to you Americans).

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    uniwar is the only one that comes tomy mind.

9. Robert Gentel

Oct 3, 2009

I only tested the lite x2 game, but I have RS2009, RS2010 and FIFA. Out of those I think the gameplay on RS2010 is best, but the teams are all fake. So if you don't mind "Manchester Red" that's not a bad choice.

FIFA's gameplay is very frustrating and awkward, and by that I don't mean I just don't like how the gameplay works, but that I can't get it to do basic things with any reliability.

10. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Try "Slay". There is a free lite version so you can get in cheaply, but be prepared to waste a lot of time on the game.

Michael