Finding/Hiring a programmer for an church app

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by big d 51, Apr 28, 2011.

1. big d 51

big d 51 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi,

I am CONSIDERING getting a programmer to help me develop an app for my church. Basically it will be an app to provide the person with information (upcoming events, news, upcoming service, read your bible in a year versus, etc).

I have no idea how to program. I know basic C++ and html/css. Therefore, I need major help. I feel like once the layout is done and once taught how to add information, I would be able to keep it updated.

How do I go about finding a programmer? Is it going to cost me $1,000's of dollars?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    why not create a website; then build a very simply iOS application that embeds a UIWebView inside it that simply accesses your website. you publish this app; and you then maintain a website.

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/2008/08/uiwebview-tutorial.html

shows you how to use the UIWebView component; from there - you should be set. this will allow you to avoid using the safari environment; but still have a unique cool icon and app on the phone itself. :)

3. big d 51

big d 51 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Thats exactly what I need to do. Thank you greatly.

I will take some time to research this information you provided me with. Then I will bug you with multiples questions :p j/k Sorta ;)

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Because it will be rejected for violating section 2.12 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

5. You don't need to make and publish an app at all. Just write a webapp.

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/safari/index.action

6. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Website wrapper apps aren't allowed anymore. You'll need to create an iPhone optimized website instead. That would be more difficult to monetize though, if that's your plan.
    To hire someone to create a native app, with a backend for you to update the content could be quite expensive. Try posting a project on Elance or oDesk and see what quotes you get.

7. big d 51

big d 51 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for this. I will do.