Apple TV 4th Generation

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jgeirge, Oct 26, 2015.

1. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    So with the Apple TV now up for preorder, shipping this November, I'd like to know who is buying it. Also in your opinion, exactly how much gaming ponential is there? Will Apple TV exclusives see iOS releases? Or will this be similar to the Nvidia shield situation?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    IIRC, Crossy Road's simultaneous multiplayer will be an Apple TV exclusive, and will not be in the mobile versions.

Im guessing exclusives wont be limited to that.

3. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Pre-ordered a 64 GB model. Here's hoping I'll see that on Friday.

It'll be interesting to see how gaming turns out on the Apple TV. While it uses last year's A8, being a stationary device that doesn't rely on battery power should lead to more "console-like" gaming experiences. However, I am a little worried that the requirement that games be capable of being controlled with JUST the Siri remote makes me concerned that the games will be severely limited. Clearly, with the Wiimote-style strap for the remote, Apple is clearly expecting Wii-type motion games?

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Immediately preordered yesterday. Got the 32 GB model, because I have yet to see any explanation about what the benefits of the larger one are.

5. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    If you download a lot of games, their on-demand resources will stay in memory longer before they are deleted to make room for something else. Of course the question will be whether the games for the ATV will be interesting enough to justify the 64 GB I got...

6. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    My new Apple TV arrived yesterday... was a bit disappointed that of all the 1000+ games I own, only three (3) showed up under the 'previously purchased' section! (Phoenix HD, Breakneck, but most importantly: Geometry Wars 3)

Really hoping there are a lot of developers out there working on updates to their games to make them Apple TV compatible and aren't discouraged by that 'must be able to use the ATV remote' limitation....(since I only plan to use a MiFi controller anyway)

Didn't see file sizes listed on the Apple TV store, though, anyone know how to display that? I bought the 64gb model but I'd still like to be able to see what the installed file sizes will be before downloading (since I think they are limited to an initial 200mb downloads which doesn't help)...

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    According to Pocket Gamer, there's not even a way to see the size of the additional downloads after installing!