Ever signed with a publisher before? Please help.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JumpingTurtle, Feb 27, 2015.

1. JumpingTurtle

JumpingTurtle New Member

Feb 27, 2015
    #1 JumpingTurtle, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Hi,

I used a publisher to release a mobile phone app long time ago, and have found that app legally being sold on multiple places that weren't included in the reports I have been receiving from the publisher... Now I want to use another publisher to release my iOS app in the Apple app store...

How do you guys make sure that the selling reports you get from publishers are correct? Is there any way to monitor those numbers in a daily basis perhaps?

Thank you.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    There is no way to 100% know.

3. JumpingTurtle

JumpingTurtle New Member

Feb 27, 2015
    That means there is a 100% chance for being ripped off then... :(

4. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Your access to the performance data will depend on your contract with the publisher, so it depends on what you negotiated. Hopefully you should at least be getting quarterly (hopefully monthly) data, and have the option for accountants to an audit on your behalf (at your cost if they find nothing wrong, the publishers if they do).

5. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #5 1stSPIN, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Legally you can get all the information you put into your contract. But there is no real good way to enforce that and it would take a lot of money if you wanted to pursue it using a lawyer. The best is that you have a good relationship with the people at the head of the company who respect and morally believe in the rights of others. If at all possible pay them a visit, nothing is better than face to face contact.

6. Storm Factory

Storm Factory Active Member

Apr 8, 2015
    One way to verify downloads and revenue would be to use App Annie. There is a way for the publisher to give you access to your game's data without jeopardizing the privacy of their other developers or company information.