The Hockey Experiment - 3D Arcade Style Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NinthDimensionStudios, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinthDimensionStudios

NinthDimensionStudios Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Independent Video Game Developer
    Yorkville, IL 60560
    #1 NinthDimensionStudios, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hey Everyone, Dev here

Ninth Dimension Studios is amped to announce the release of its first game title, The Hockey Experiment™, available May 2010 for the iPhone and iPod Touch, which will be priced at $3.99. From the unhinged minds of the development team comes a very unusual grouping of hockey players known as Mischievous Muckety Mucks™, who were brought to life through the use of full 3D graphics and Motion Capture Technology, resulting in one of the only complete Ice Hockey titles offered for the iPhone / iPod Touch platform.

This game title has been developed through the collaboration of Ninth Dimension Studios, a young and upcoming studio specializing in digital animation and 3D modeling, and Bitwise Design, Inc., a top-tier programming and game design company. This game has been developed solely by three individuals over the past five months. From Ninth Dimension Studios is Jonathan Sabella, creating all artwork and animation, and Brian Kritzberg, handling audio and musical score compositions. From Bitwise Design, Inc., Ray Graham, developer of published iPhone / iPod Touch titles such as Karnival and Hospital Havoc, coded the entire game.

THE HOCKEY EXPERIMENT™

[​IMG]

GAME FEATURES

• Fast-Paced 3-on-3 Arcade Style Hockey Simulation

• Full 3D Graphics

• Motion Captured Animations

• Classic 8-bit Style Music

• Exhibition and Tournament Game Modes

• Two Difficulty Settings: Novice and Advanced

• 6 Uniquely Designed Preloaded Teams

• 2 Achievement-Based Unlockable Teams

• 4 Additional Teams Available For Purchase

• Over 20 Humorous Achievement-Based Trophies To Earn

• Totally Radical Power-Ups for Shooting, Checking, and Skating

• On-Ice “Clutch-Shot” Positions Score 2 Points

• Ability To Pull Your Goalie

• Win Fights To Gain The On-Ice Advantage

• Career Stats Keeper

• OpenFeint Enabled

CLASSIC ARCADE FEEL & UPDATED GRAPHICS
    This game features old school inspired 8-bit music and classic gameplay, but is updated with fast-paced action and 3D graphics that are enhanced through the use of on-ice Power-Up Icons. These enable crazy-fast slap-shots, lightning-quick skating, and extra powerful checking. Need to score a quick two points? No problem, just skate over the on-ice “Clutch-Shot” areas where a score from this position is worth two goals!

HAVE YOUR SOUP AND EAT IT TOO
    Mischievous Muckety Mucks™ don’t have fun playing Hockey - or anything else for that matter - if there are a bunch of stupid rules in place; but be careful, because too much confrontation with another player might spur a fight. And we certainly wouldn’t want that to happen since we all know that fighting has no place in a gentlemen’s game such as Hockey. And be forewarned, these guys have an insatiable and downright dangerous lust for soups of all kinds … It’s strange, we know!

BECOME THE GREATEST EVER TO GRACE THE MAGNIFICENCE THAT IS … UGHH, YOU GET THE IDEA
    Play for all the world-famous Hockey teams you know and love, like um … well, like the Brothzillas™, you know, the team whose mascot is a dinosaur who pukes up Minestrone soup. Don’t forget their bitter rivals the Lunatics™, whose team manager only signs players who are fresh from the insane asylum. There are way more teams to choose from, but we can’t seem to recall the names at the moment. Any who …

THINK OF THE WONDERS THAT AWAIT
    Practice your skills in Exhibition Mode or shoot for the glory in Tournament Mode. Keep in mind that the more you play the more you are rewarded. Rack up enough career goals or wins to unlock cool new teams not available anywhere else. You can also earn special trophies as in-game milestones are reached, like the “Mmm, Generic Cheese Puffs” Trophy that’s awarded to those who have won their 250th game. If you want to be rewarded with our other ridiculously clever, humorous, and witty quips that adorn each trophy, you’ll have to play.

BUY OUR EXTRA MASTERPIECES … IF YOU WANT
    Keep in mind that if you’re obsessed with these funny little jerks, like us, you’ll want to check out the in-game store where additional teams can be drooled over and purchased. But if you ruin your keyboard or mobile device due to an electrical short circuit, that’s your own fault!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VISIT US: NinthDimensionStudios.com

FOLLOW US: twitter.com/Ninth_Dimension

FIND US: facebook.com/NinthDimensionStudios

2. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow...that looks very, very nice. Any idea when it'll be out?

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

aw cool.

4. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    that looks really nice

5. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    This looks sweet!

6. Project-79

Project-79 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Canada
    Woah, that looks awesome. And coming from a Canadian, that’s a big compliment! I’ve played almost all hockey games, from Ice Hockey (NES) to NHL ’10. Most likely a day one purchase for me!

Any chance you need a beta tester?

7. bobz56

bobz56 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    @project 97
    so you're going the pure buttkissery way eh?

8. Project-79

May 26, 2008
    Canada
    #8 Project-79, Apr 20, 2010
    Yes and no. After Hockey Nations, I thought EA-caliber hockey games were not possible on iDevices (because of lack of space) . I was extremely impressed with the video, and I hope it plays as well as it is shown. It could a great alternative hockey game to NHL '11 (if EA realizes the potential).

And so what if I am? It's not un-Canadian to kiss butt for betas, eh? ;-)

EDIT: Sorry Distinctive Games, I was quite harsh in my wording. I actually do enjoy HNs 2010 a lot. My main complaints are with the space.

9. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#9 jak56, Apr 20, 2010
    hockey nations looked great on the videos as well. try not to be mislead.

(im not saying hockey nations is a bad game)

10. Glad you clarified that Jak56 ;)

Game looks great by the way. Animation looks smooth :) Why did you go for 3 on 3?

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks great.

12. arnofio

arnofio New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    this looks great, might finally have a playable hockey game on the iphone!

13. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This looks really neat and I see this as complementary to Hockey Nations which is good (hopefully great after the update) game. This is one to watch.

14. NinthDimensionStudios

NinthDimensionStudios Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Independent Video Game Developer
    Yorkville, IL 60560
    #14 NinthDimensionStudios, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Dev Here-

Thanks to all for the kind words! We hope everyone will enjoy playing when it comes out in a few weeks.

As far as Beta Testers goes, we are not in need of any at the moment, but we will surely let the community here know if that status changes. We will be giving away a handful of free Promo Codes when the time is right, so keep updated with this thread for that announcement.

Also, another member asked why we decided to go with 3 on 3. Well, we are big fans of the old school arcade style hockey games like Ice Hockey for NES and Wayne Gretzky for N64, both of which feature less players on the ice than an official hockey team. Going with fewer characters also gives players more room on the ice to maneuver, which allows them to move a bit more freely.

Thanks
    Ninth Dimension Studios

15. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Presumably, I think the biggest challenge for the devs is incorporating good physics and AI, and responsive controls. That physics and AI are the biggest issues I have with Hockey Nations. As for adhering to rules of the game, I suspect you'll have more leeway since you're advertising this as arcade ice hockey. Just make sure the rules are consistent and in some way resembles the sport of ice hockey.

16. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    You had me at Hockey...

17. Project-79

May 26, 2008
    Canada
    +1

Can't decide if I should quote this!

18. RayGraham

RayGraham Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    This finally made it to the store today!

19. AppTapper

AppTapper Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    Student studying IT Networking, Web Design, and Gr
    Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa
    really? if so im grabbing it now... looks nice but if the controls, AI, and physics are off it would ruin everything.

20. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

#20 BazookaTime, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    I can't find it but I think the pc version is out. Their website shows it as coming soon.

Edit...it is out, just found it.