I got 2 plans for games, but...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iANiMeX, Feb 12, 2012.

1. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    #1 iANiMeX, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Hi. I am iANiMeX and I love planning games. I already completed 2 game plans but sadly I don't know how to code games or make them for the iOS. Maybe some dev/s would be interested on my game plans and make them happen.

I got each game fully detailed on a Word Document file. They are both detailed on how to play, sketches of the what the game will look like, game play, level design, menu, menu explanation, etc..

Btw, one of my game plan is a RPG/Strategy and the other is an Arcade game.

I still got another game in mind that I will start doing plans and it will be a 2D action game.

Thanks.

2. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    It's best not to get completely unknown people to review your Design Docs as you may loose your unique ideas.

You sound like a eager, creative individual with a passion for games. If I were you I'd get involved with an established Games company that's making the kind of stuff you like. Try to get a foot in the door in there QA or Customer service departments.

Once you've had enough time to learn the ropes and meet some talented people you can propose creating a prototype of your ideas internally or as a side secret project (which will be further refined by then).

There are always unscrupulous folks in all walks of life so never let anyone see your ideas unless you know them personally or they sign your non-disclosure agreement.

The most valuable asset in games is a unique inspirational idea. Just look at how many unimaginative poor quality titles there are on the app store and you'll start to realise how rare they are, protect yours until the cogs fall into place. You have lots of time a great idea rarely gets stale and can be used down the line.

Good Luck :)

3. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks for the tips. I guess I will follow your advice. :)

4. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    I have a different opinion : feel free to share your ideas because they are worthless. :p

No offense intended : the drawers of every programmer or game company out there are filled with great game ideas they haven't been able to develop, for lack of time, funding, market opportunity, you name it. All of them would much rather develop their own game ideas than someone else's, unless they are hired and paid to do so. An idea alone is worthless until it's actually turned into a game.

Nobody will steal your ideas until they are turned into real games. If those games have success, that's when people will start cloning them.

That is also the reason why, if you are serious about making your own games, there are many options :
    - Get close to a programmmer and develop the game together. Ideally someone you've actually met rather than an Internet friend. At any rate, you will have to build a much closer relationship than posting your ideas on a forum (though I suppose that could be a start)
    - As mr_wexer said, get into a game company thru QA and work your way up. Very sound advice.
    - Learn to code and make the games yourself. It's actually a pretty serious option too, there are tools availble these days that make it not as difficult as it used to be, such as RPG Maker.

Good luck !! This can all be achieved through perseverance and hard work.

5. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks for the advise. :)

6. GameViewPoint

GameViewPoint Active Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Not to rain on your parade, and I'm saying this for your own best interest. Ideas are the easy part, I have 2-3 ideas everyday. Seriously, learn to program, it's not rocket science, and you don't need to learn Obj-C. Look at products such as Corona and Flash (AS3) these are pretty easy platforms to use to make games. There are 100s of online tutorials to help you learn as well as forums where people will give you advice. 2-3 months of study and you will be able to put some of your ideas into practice, at that point find a good graphic artist and you are set :)

You have to remember that there LOTS (1000s and 1000s) of people right now across the world with ideas for an iPhone app/game, the ideas that succeed will be the ones where the person has either the money to hire a programmer to bring the idea to life or is able to code it themselves.

7. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks a lot for this advise. Maybe I'll start learning how to make my own game using those programs and reading online tutorials. Thanks again. :)

8. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    You have to see the difference between the 2-3 ideas you have a day and a game design that's very unique and potentially genre defining. Every game designer has ideas all the time but a concept for something that has never been done before and has loads of merit should be protected and nurtured before giving it away.

I guess we just have very different methodologies to design, maybe your way works for you. I worked for very successful US games companies for 10+ years and generally good ideas are very rare :)

9. jamiejme

jamiejme Member

Feb 12, 2012
    If you have money to hire someone...
    Suggest that you simplify the idea as much as possible. Stripping out complexity helps you evaluate what you really have (compare it to competitors) and decide whether it is worth spending money on it!

10. AppsAsia

AppsAsia Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    iANiMeX I wish you best of luck!!

iANiMeX has participated in basically every beta test for our clients and his comments and suggestions are in line with professional game designers that do this for a career. Many of my clients have commented on how excellent iANiMeX is and I think his insight and suggestions into iOS games is what the Appstore needs. He knows what gamers know, want and love. If I had money to develop a game I would hire iANiMeX on the spot!

11. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Remember that a big part of a game is creating all the art and audio assets, as well as having a well defined structure and game mechanic.

As a one-man developer (who is primarily a coder) I am all too aware of the difficulty and time spent trying to get everything looking professional. Not just all the game assets, but there's all the background graphics, buttons, menus and that all-important icon. Plus any 3D models and textures.

So if you have a decent design doc (i.e. clear, unambiguous, no waffle) with all the art and sound assets ready to go you'd have plenty of programmers keen to work with you on it.

However I do recommend looking into learning coding yourself -- maybe take a look at one of the higher level languages like Lua with the Corona SDK and the fantastic Codea app for iPad. Coding is fun and not as difficult as you might fear. Good luck :)

12. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thank you for your advise. :)

Thanks. :)

I love playing games on all platform and of course love beta testing games and suggest features and other things to make it even better. Maybe I got so many ideas because I've played so many games on almost every console available. Hope to work with you more in the future. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Thanks for the advise. I'll try to learn how to code an app this year and hopefully release one this year too. Thanks. :)

Toucharcade is a very wonderful community.

13. Markus Hanka

Markus Hanka Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Freelance 2D Artist
    Beijing
    Honestly, you won't get anywhere with only ideas. If you don't learn a real skill like doing the code, the graphics or building interesting levels nothing will happen.

A game idea on paper, something that hasn't even been prototyped yet, doesn't have any value. It is all about implementing the ideas in a game. And what you wrote on paper will propably not work in your game in the same way you intended. Two developers will create two completely different games based on the same idea. The idea is just a starting point.

You seem to aim for the designing part of the game development. So if you didn't already draw or code since you were a small child it would be best to learn just the basics of both disciplines and learn how to make prototypes a lot and quickly with tools like game maker.

14. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks. I'll do what you say.

15. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I'll give you my 2 cents... lets assume you have a legitimately good idea for a game and your design doc is excellent. You could make the game:

1. If you have enough money to hire a programmer, artist, and whoever else you'll need (maybe a sound designer/musician, maybe a second artist, etc). This is the easiest way, but will cost a lot, probably more than you'd think. But, if you have a good idea that you believe in, then you should be willing to put money behind it. The problem is, usually what people think are "good" ideas are really not as good as they think. Also, they overestimate and underestimate all the wrong things if they have little to no industry experience (I'm talking about you here).

2. Learn some coding and get an engine like Unity or something like it that you can play around in. Try out your new coding skills doing scripting in the engine. Also, try to learn some basic modeling and texturing skills. Then at that point, you can assess if you can make the game yourself, or if you need help. If you need help, at least at this point you've already made yourself a much better asset. People will be more willing to work with you if you can bring more than just "a good idea" to the table. Honestly, good ideas area dime a dozen. You'll want to bring in another programmer and an artist who have looked at your game design and like it, and are willing to work for a cut of the revenues, assuming you yourself will be contributing some art, or scripting, or some other grunt work.

3. As some suggested, try to get into the industry on some entry-level position. After a while try to pitch your idea, especially if you can move up to designer. If not, them maybe hit up some of your new connections to see if anyone is interested in working on it with you.

4. If you have more time than money, then you could also just spend the next couple of years learning programming (C++) and an engine (Unity) as well as modelling and texturing, etc. If you're motivated enough and have enough time on your hands, there's everything you need to learn in books and online. Find programming forums, modelling forums, ask and learn and network. In the end you might be able to make your game by yourself.

Hope that helps.

16. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks. This will really help me a lot.

17. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm both a graphic designer and an app/game developer, and I've had experience creating sound and music, so I have the advantage of my stuff looking professional, sounding good and playing well without having to hire left right and center. I'm pretty good with ideas too but often I see something and go "God I wish I had thought of that".

Anyway, if you're interested in getting somebody to professionally produce your arcade game (I don't do RTS/RPG), and it's possible on the SDK I use, I could give it a go, it wouldn't cost you much since you'd only have to hire one guy.

18. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Thanks but I'll try to code the game by myself. If ever I give up learning how to do it myself, you'll be the first on my list to hire if ever.