I'll buy an iPad2!!! (aka: The "New" Posty Thread!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by willzeng, Mar 22, 2012.

1. #1 willzeng, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    I'll buy an iPad2 tomorrow!!! Because the new iPad is really not that good.

1) Faster CPU and larger Mem? They only cover the overheads of retina display, barely. According to test videos, iPad2 is as fast as the new iPad.

2) Better camera? Only a fool will use an iPad for DC purpose. iPad2's camera already satisfies.

3) The new iPad is a little thicker and considerably heavier.

4) Yes, they both have 10 hours' usage time, but can you imagine the charging time of the new iPad? The iPad2 is already long enough!

5) iPad2 is Jobs' last master piece. The new iPad is merely a product of a company without its soul.

So far, the new iPad only wins in retina display. But do I really need it? Watch super-full-HD on such a small screen? I don't care!

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well if the retina doesn't matter to you I'd say most of your points are pretty valid but I'd say the new one has some potential but it's unlikely to be taken advantage off.

I made a similar decision when I bought my 3rd gen touch I actually took it over a 4th because that way I could afford 64gb which appealed to me more.

3. I'm not finished.

6) The new iPad generates more heat.

7) How many apps will support that high resolution? As a developer, I know it's quite a burden for current 3 resolutions (480x320, 960x640, 1024x768). If four, an universal app will have much larger size. And how many developers will even make their second app in current situation? Wake up, Apple!

4. 8) If dropped, the new iPad is damaged more. (There are test videos. Maybe only because of its heavier weight.)

5. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

That's just... wow.. I think you're massively overestimating Jobs' influence on minor product revisions. Do you honestly believe if he were still alive the new iPad would be in any way different? It's a matter of cost vs available tech, it's not like Jobs' waved his hand and pulled the latest hardware revisions from thin air.

I expect every non-game app to support the new resolution and I don't think we're going to see separate "high res" apps. The trade off is absolutely worth it considering how noticeably pixelated small text is on the 1024x768 display. Yes the apps will wind up being much larger but in two years the majority of iPad users will be using a model with a retina display. How many iPhone users do you still see walking around with the 3GS model?

6. Indeed the camera upgrade is only a trick. A 5-megapixel camera is far too common today. (iPad2's camera really leaves much space for the new iPad so that Apple can cheat users on that.)

In summary, the new iPad's revolution is only resolution, at the sacrifice of thickness, weight, battery charging time, heat generation, app size and developers' workload.

7. Apple is no longer Apple without Jobs. History has already proved it once. It'll definitely prove it again.

8. Texts will automatically utilize the retina display and I admit that. But images are not. I don't think many image based app will adapt for the retina display.

9. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

The two situations are not comparable at all! In one case the man was kicked out his own company long after completely losing control of it and in the other he spent over a decade hand picking the head of every major department and left the company with a multi-year plan because he knew he was on borrowed time for the last five years. Steve Jobs' Apple is going to remain the company he's been rebuilding since the late 90's with or without him for the next decade at least.

Why not? Marvel has already started releasing "HD" copies of their comics for the iPad and it doesn't get much more image heavy then that. If higher resolution artwork already exists then there's no reason not to use it.

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    50g heavier is hardly a valid reason. It's not like you're going to get a sore arm quicker!

11. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Jeez. It really seems like you are trying to convince yourself that the iPad 2 is better (which is isn't). If you'd rather get the iPad 2 because it's more affordable and suites your needs then fair enough, just please don't pretend that it's better.

12. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011

13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    This deserves a Posty nomination

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I was thinking it deserved something else... :rolleyes:

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  16. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Can't agree with that. The iPad 2s camera is so poor that I've never considered using it for anything, aside from the front cam for facetime. I didn't buy my iPad for the camera but it'd have been nice if it were at least on par with my iPhone 4.

6. - ...really? More heat... well if that's true then it'll be a bonus in the winter months.

7. - ...TA had a feature on how good iPhone 'retina' apps looked on the new iPad... and to be honest, I think we'll see plenty of apps supporting the new resolution, a resolution that'll certainly stick around for future iPads.

Wow.... just wow.

You've got some serious New iPad-Rage going on.... to be honest, I'm surprised to want to buy any Apple product! Perhaps you just wanted to provoke a response....

17. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Well this thread suits my curiousness - - - If anyone has an (preferebly used, but new/mint is okay too!) iPad 2 - I'm looking to buy one off you for myself. PM me.

18. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I slowly but steadily got convinced that selling my iPad 2 + shelling out another 200-250 dollars for "The New iPad" just wasn't worth it this generation.

Given that I really don't care for the "upgraded camera" or voice dictation (as I already own a 4S), the Retina Screen ends up being the only factor I was considering an upgrade. On the other hand, trading off the fact that it's slightly thicker, heavier and gets warmer much faster makes this generation a no-go for me.

Plus, i'd have to sell off all my iPad 2 covers and re-invest that money into new ones.

I'll wait for the "New iPad 2" next year.

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I saw someones new one today in work and the blues did look kinda off to me, maybe it's been because I've been using the Vita so much but something didn't look right to me. Retina didn't really impress me at all honestly but then again I haven't seen any games or movies running on it.

20. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    IPad 2 covers do work with new one