Recommendations on external batteries for mobile devices?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Oct 10, 2012.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I have an iPod Touch 4G, and am going to pull the trigger on an HTC One very soon. I surf and play music all day, and want to recharge the thing on the go without walking around with a wall charger all the time. Tired of it dying before the day is done.

Need something compact enough to put in my pocket so I don't need to lug it around in a laptop bag. Also needs to charge at a good rate and has enough juice to last for a day (or two).

I've been looking at a bunch of these on Ebay and Amazon, from 1000-10000mAh, phone sized to big ass blunt trauma murder-weapon sized bricks, till I'm going blind. Problem is Cnet and Engadget doesn't really review these as well as I'd hoped. What would you guys recommend?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've been toying with the idea of buying a mini gorilla for a while but if your in the UK you should give maplins a look they keep some decent battery packs for almost nothing.

The reason I haven't bought myself a bigger option as yet is I've been using a pretty small 2500mah swiss charger battery I got with a kit of different charger attachments the only gadget I can't charge with it is my Vita

[​IMG]

For the price it was (around £20) it was a really good buy and the battery actually can fully charge my phone and my iPod a couple of times.

Theres so many options out there though my only advice is to skip the duracell and energiser USB packs I've read about them damaging the devices.

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    You might look at the ZAGGsparq- the new models though. Have heard bad thi gs about the older ones. Don't have one myself, but I have heard positive thi gs about them. They have one that can supposedly hold up to four charges depending on the device for $100.

4. I use

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NGKR54/ref=mp_s_a_4?pi=SL75&qid=1349861388&sr=8-4

Really great if you have a new ipad. Almost doubles my time on it. Iphone wise, it would probably charge it 4 times or more. If you have an ipad or getting one soon, i would recommend it. It is moderate sized might be a little big for a pocket. But it is inexpensive. Amazon has a lot of external batteries, some smaller more for iphones. If you use their reviews, and find a highly ranked one you will be fine.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Energizer makes several sizes of them. I have one with one USB hub and one with two and both are great. The single one is very compact and charges the phone twice (from full drain). The battery in the battery pack lasts a long time too (several days) so if you don't use it you don't lose the charge.

6. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    What's your price range?

The kuelf60Q by SGP is pricy($125), but pretty effective. Spigen has a very good history with their quality in products for mobile devices.

Stats straight from the store:
    Samsung SDI certified 6000mAh Battery cell
    10W Power Charger (input : DC 5V 2A / DC 5V 2A)
    Compatible iOS and Android OS
    Charging available for tables and smartphones for both OS
    Simple cube shape and minimal design, 4 steop LED display
    Micro USB to USB Cable included
    Designed by SGP in California, USA
    Made in Korea
    Size: 9.6cm x 4.1cm x 2.9cm / 3.78in x 1.61in x 1.14in

You have to admit, it's pretty small for a 6000mAh battery. It IS expensive though, so probably not an option.