Marketing Tips for Indie Developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by splatz, Jun 18, 2013.

1. splatz

splatz Member

Jun 18, 2013
    hi Guys

im new to this forum and wanted to know about any marketing experiences you had that made a good difference to sales, be it freemium or premium game

ive got a game i developed but i am struggling to find good marketing which i guess is the biggest problem right now.

I heard prmac.com was good, and some sites like ispreadnews say they offer good exposure but its really hard to get the right marketing without trial and error

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Go premium or free. Freemium is a blight on the App Store and deserves to die.

3. comicx90

comicx90 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    If I were to continue if you may, freemium destroys gaming as a whole in my opinion. Priced or free is good but as a consumer I believe purchases should be a "one purchase, full game" kinda thing. Just my input.

4. splatz

splatz Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Really weird

Hi guys

I been reading a lot of comments on the net and get mixed messages about apps and games. Some people say freemium is better then premium apps, so I'm confused. I will try a paid model on the next game. Hopefully I get more sales

In terms of marketing, do you advise using FAAD? And Tap Joy ? Or is there any secrets I should know about marketing? Most cost a lot of money and there's not many that are rev share

5. Simengie

Simengie Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Have to address two things in my post.

First OP's question - Marketing

prMac is a good start for iOS apps. Twitter, Facebook, the tips email here at TA and don't forget reddit are some more. If you did everything right and the game is truly good then you have a chance.

Second thing to address - Release Models

Make no mistake the following are release models and have nothing to do with marketing. I really see people talk the Paid, Free and Freemium models up but I get the idea that a lot of people don't understand a few truths to these models.

Paid, an app or game is designed from the start to the finish to provide all content in a correct and entertaining manner without the need to ever make another purchase. Paid apps require the person to spend money to download the app first time and never again. Let's be really this is low volume even for top rated AAA studios. If you are here to make money as a business you better have the next must have.

Free, an app does all the same as a paid app but has a cost of zero. This is the I make great stuff and I want to just give it away cause I am awesome crowd. This is not a business model that works out well. Truly free apps lack the injection points to support cross promotion latter since cross promotion is a form of ads and that moves you into the freemium category. So any user base you create is a waste.

Freemium done wrong, a Paid or Free app/game is bastardized to hack Ads/iAds and iAP and then released for a price of "free". The content is destroyed by the hacking in of Ads/iAds and iAP. The flow of the app/game sucks. This represents the blight people refer too that is currently occurring in the App Store. These apps just show poor design skill and lack polish on the overall game experience. This is a you will fail model as well.

Freemium done right, this is a game/app that has been created from the start to be provided for zero cost and earn revenue from iAds/Ads and iAP. The interactions within the game do not require the use of iAP but are easier to get with them. Ads/iAds do not take away from content and 99% of time are not presented in a Ad takes full screen control type of presentation. Want a good example, Angry Birds and the screaming eagle iAP. Also look at Temple Run and how everything that can be iAP'd can be gotten thru game play it just takes longer the old fashioned way.

So if you have designed an app and you did NOTHING to smoothly and cleanly integrate Ads/iAds and iAP into the app then it is a by default a Paid or Free app.

If you have a completed game and are only now thinking about monetization methods you have failed in creating a freemium product and need to release as paid or free to save credit for your next game.

If you have done freemium the wrong way please don't release and instead go back and take the time to do it right. You will have better success. If you have done freemium correctly then congrats you have a chance success.

Freemium is not a blight on the store. In fact it is huge money maker. First hand knowledge of this. But if you do it wrong your app will not get downloaded and people will leave reviews that clearly state how horrible the game/app actually is. Then your app will be part of the freemium blight people reference.

6. IPhonecaptain

IPhonecaptain New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Blogging
    Ky
    Come visit me at iphonecaptain. I'm happy to help market your app

7. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Hi splatz,

here I wrote a decent article about mobile app and game marketing, read it at first. Are you looking for a burst campaign? Do you have your app ready with no teasing? Do you want to buy installs?

8. RobertMForsman

RobertMForsman New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    #8 RobertMForsman, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Accepting that you are started change business in future.i know some solid tips to pushing your business and i have additionally promoting encounters. I similarly give you deals getting ready .we outfit clever and especially skilled staff that know improvement, marketing.whenever you require passed by on thinkspace.com
    Sales training