Best comic book reader?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SkyMuffin, Jul 6, 2010.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I posted this in the mass thread, but I didn't get any responses.

I'm looking for a good comic book reader for the iPod Touch/iPhone. There are a bunch of them on the appstore and most are paid, so I can't try them out. Has anyone had experience with one?

2. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    IF your scans are pdf. why not use ibooks

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I have a mix of scans-- jpg, png, zip, cbr, and cbz.

4. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    i'm curious about this one too. Stanza supports cbr and cbz but not zips as far as I'm concerned

5. Coventine

Coventine New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Comic reader mobi is great if you are jailbroken.

It reads ZIP,RAR, CBR, CBZ, and PDF files.

It is not free so checkout some reviews and videos before buying it.

6. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    cbz files are just renamed zip files from what I remember. Also applies to rar and cbr as well. Haven't tried Stanza to view comics yet, so can't comment on how well it works.

I use "iComic -comic reader-" (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icomic-comic-reader/id297328082?mt=8) which only supports jpg, tif, png, and zip/cbz format (should be easy to convert to zip/cbz if you have to), and doesn't read archives inside archives (probably not to many apps would due to memory requirements). What's really nice is it uses FTP to upload/download (fast, did 1 GB in around 25 minutes on my network, which other comic apps I've tried have had trouble even coming remotely near) so can even be used to "store" other file types (which only show up inside when accessed via FTP but will be hidden when viewed through the app) and supports folders. Just drag & drop. No need for complicated steps to upload multiple archives.

Not associated with app maker, just a happy user.

7. Lucion

Lucion Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Like abbad0n said, CBZ is just a renamed ZIP file and CBR is a renamed RAR file. If you change the file extension of a CBZ/CBR file it will open with your archive program of choice and you can add or remove individual pages. On Windows you might need to make file extensions visible.

I've also heard good things about Comic Reader Mobi but haven't tried it myself.