Aeropack, an upcoming steampunk platformer!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by micah, Jan 13, 2010.

1. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    #1 micah, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

Edit: The game is just about done, just about to get submitted to the App Store, and there's a new trailer!

Hey TouchArcaders, I'm working on a new game called Aeropack. It's got a pretty hardcore steampunk / grunge theme going so far. Each level you have to collect all the gems to get to the door (you need the gems to power your space ship engine).

This is my first game using GameSalad, and it's very fun. I'm posting what I've got online to play for free, but you need to be using a Mac with Safari: http://gamesalad.com/game/play/34326

I'm also going to enter this into GameSalad's MacWorld 2010 contest, which means the web version at least will be done by Jan 25 at the latest. I should be submitting the iPhone version to Apple shortly afterwords.

And a quick question -- for platform games, how do you prefer the controls? A d-pad in the bottom-left corner? Or left and right arrows on the left side and an up arrow on the right (sort of like Inkvaders)? Or something else?

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
  3. zeliboba

zeliboba Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Nice start. Kinda buggy, though. Number of gems to collect is not reset after death, but increased by the initial number of gems. E.g. to complete first level I need to collect 10 gems. But if I die at the very beginning, after respaun I will have to collect 20 gems (or 15, if I collect 5 gems of of 10 before death). But the level will still contain 10 gems. Even if I collect them all, door wil not open.
    Also music dissappears after hero death. I understand, death of the player character is very a sad event, but it's not the reason to not play music anymore...
    But, still, it's fun. Good as a timekiller.

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I prefer a d-pad on the bottom left.
    Even better if there`s another option for a floating joystick too.

5. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    @zeliboba yeah I know it's still buggy, this is just a start. I just figured out the gems left thing too. I'll keep updating it often, and it'll get smoother and smoother.

6. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Lookin' good, but I'm taking macworld this year!:D

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I prefer it when you split the d-pad as it gives mire precision. Just look y maio an you'll see what I mean

8. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Just updated it with level 2, including a couple new bad guys. Also fixed the music stopping thing, and the gem count thing. It's coming along well!

And ktfright, we'll see about that :) -- is there only gonna be one winner?

9. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I bet we both are finalists for sure, but only one will win it all. Good luck!

10. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Hey, Aeropack is about done and about ready to be submitted to the App Store! I just edited the first post in this thread to include the new fancy trailer. You can go ahead and play the full version of the game on the web for free if you have a Mac and the GameSalad Safari plugin.

Also, I'm going to be releasing a free Mac game version of Aeropack too, that you don't play in a web browser or anything. I'll keep you all updated.

11. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco