Games Similar to War Hammer Quest???

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lickzy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this particular part of the forum and this doesn't seem to breach the house rules sooo....

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any games similar to War Hammer Quest. Specifically, Turn/Strategy based RPG games.

Any suggesitons would be greatly appreciated. I've seen a few different viable options but would like to reach out to you for your own individual opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Lickzy

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #2 Aventador, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Xcom Enemy Unknown
    Shadowrun Returns
    Frozen Synapse ( no RPG elements though )
    Breach & Clear
    Battle for Wesnoth
    Battle Academy
    Legion
    Space Hulk is also coming this week

3. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I suppose a good start would be Hunters 1 & 2, made by the same company. Final Fantasy Tactics and Battle for Wesnoth share the depth of strategy and lore. Tactics also shares it's (relatively) hefty price tag. I've never played, but read only praise for, Ravenmark.

4. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Thanks Baron. I played FFT on the PS1 when it originally came out and loved it. I've since played other renditions of it and still own the strategy guide. Games like that are awesome. I'm currently downloading Dungeon Hunters 2 HD (got better reviews then the more current 3 and 4) and will look into Battle of Wesnoth.

Thank you Aventador as well. I've heard of Spack Hulk coming soon as well as XCOM and Shadow Returns seems to have some mixxed reviews and bug issues.

Regardless, THANK YOU BOTH for the great list. You've given me some food for thought. Cheers.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Heroes of Steel which is coming out soon. Very reminiscent of WHQ

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Don't let the mixed reviews dissuade you... Xcom is worth owning (as is Shadowrun). If you are willing to bite the proverbial bullet, I'd say go for it with Xcom, unless you are running on an old device. My iPad 3 runs it well with no crashes.

To add to the list of games, I would recommend:
    Aliens vs Humans
    Tactical Soldier
    Battle Dungeon: Risen
    And if you are not a stickler for graphics...
    Partia
    Kingsturn series ( Kingsturn Plus, Kingsturn: Underworld and plain old Kingsturn)

7. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Thank you Bool. Xcom is on the to download list and I was really interested in Shadowrun, however I read many issues pertaining to crashes. I am using an iPad Mini and people indicated having issues with said device. I have an iPad 3 still in the original plastic and an iPad Air in the mail. Maybe i'll have better luck running it on those devices?

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I would absolutely dissuade another mini owner from buying Shadowrun. The crashing makes it pretty much unplayable unless you enjoy frustration and replaying the same half hour of game over and over.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Doood.... Hunters 1 & 2. NOT DUNGEON HUNTERS.