Are we going to see more cross-platform development?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by foli, Jul 18, 2011.

1. foli

foli Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi,

This is something that has been discussed to some extent. We think it is the way forward. This will also grant developers a much broader market, and also save resources. There are some around already, and how would you rate them? We'd be very interested to hear others opinions.

We built our own from scratch, and we are excited to see how well it is working. We have created a video that demonstrates how well it actually works (and also an upcoming game)

2. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    I'd say so. With the growing popularity of tools such as unity3d, gamesalad etc, and the fact that iOS as well as a Android are both very popular, a good chunk of developers wouldn't ignore either one.

Not to mention that mobile is as big or perhaps a bigger/faster growing industry vs console gaming. The big guys will continue to push out games to all the platforms they can.

Everyone won't do it right off the bat when their game is released, as this space is still dominated by the indie crowd who usually can't afford the time and money to focus on multiple platforms at once...especially those of us who code it the "old fashioned way"(not using the game building tools, instead using OpenGL ES, C/C++/ObjC etc).

3. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Absolutely!

There are certain games that you'll always enjoy playing on a console much rather than on the iPhone. You'll always have to have diversity. With out diversity, there is no competition and without competition, there is no innovation.

4. milkmangames

milkmangames Well-Known Member

Quite definitely :)

We're actively contributing to the haXe open source project (gamehaxe.com / haxe.org). Our current projects run very well from more or less one code base on Android, iOS, Blackberry, and quite a few more, though the focus for Milkman Games is iOS at the moment!

5. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    I have a cross platform system, and I do all my development for iOS games on PC. Only at the end do I use XCode to make the final package.
    I will soon be looking into building my games for android, but I dont know where to begin.
    Anyone have any good links for that?