Game Dev Story is probably the best game I've played on the iPhone so far!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Scaramoosh, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    The first game I've truely been addicted to on my iPhone. I've bought hundreds of games since December and it's the first one but Angry Birds and Monkey Island 2 that I've enjoyed. Reminds me of like a Theme Hospital or Diner Dash but about Game development. Really kool game for gamers and it's just fun trying to be the best develoment studio.

Hope they expand on the game in the future like The Movies on the PC or something.

2. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    If the devs update this game every once in a while it could easily turn every sim game to dust and beat angry birds/cut the rope on the charts. I just bought it yesterday and I've already played it for a total of 3 hours and have made 12 games.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    thanks for sharing?..

4. Oh just buy it.

5. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Isn't this just a port from another (lower-res) platform? I wouldn't expect much in the way of updates or improvements if that's the case. I'd love to be wrong though.

6. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Really? This is THE best game you've played? Is it really better than Space Miner? Jet Car Stunts? Phoenix Wright? Super frickin' QuickHook?

If it's as good as you say, this may be my next purchase.

7. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    It really is that good. I too am hopelessly addicted...

8. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I downloaded the game at 1 am and ended up playing for five hours straight.

That said, having played through the game once I don't feel that motivated to play through it again, which is good since it's a major time sink...

9. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    think its at #3 in the topsellers now surprisingly.

10. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
  11. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    Exceptionally fun and endlessly replayable game. I played this game for about 5 or 6 hours straight! Love it!

12. It's fun and addictive. It's a phone game but if you don't have the original, then get this.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and not a single appinfo to be seen. Can't be bothered now!

14. khaotikbk

khaotikbk Active Member

May 11, 2010
    One of the most addictive indeed! Love the graphics and the gameplay, it's all so cleverly packed together! Got it last friday, played it until thursday, six to eight hours a day. On the downside, the replay value is very low. Once you get the hang, every new game you start is basically the same, and there is not very much room to go from there. Would be nice if some thing were made, like randomic generated consoles, direct rivals on the market, more than one office (so one could make several studios) etc. But it's a really great game, with a intense, evolving experience.

15. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    As for as addictiveness it blows all those out of the water.

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I have every single on of those games. And in 1 week I played this app more than all those combined. I even beat QuickHook

17. Midi_Amp

Midi_Amp Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Just another liaison
    I purchased GDS to christened my new iTouch 4g, and I love it! When TA website displayed the news I went straight to iTunes and download it, no extensive review needed for me. Simple gameplay checked, depth checked, super cute pixel art graphics checked, got scold by the missus for playing this game everywhere and even when I'm driving, triple checked!

I'm hoping that iDevice will spark another 16-bit revolution where gameplay is king and graphics are just okay. GDS delivers that kind vibe to me (as well as many other iOS games actually) and hoping more like this will be popping out at iTunes.

I had similar idea like this game, using pixel art and set in an advertising agency where I used to work. Coworkers having office flings but boosting their productivity, creative department fighting with client service, and other funny stuff. Alas, my programming skill was and is the same with potty trained monkeys, so I just sit back and wait... And Game Dev Story came.

I like the virtual keypad rather than touching the context menus, it's more intuitive and because it fills 1/3 of the lower screen it's very "thumbable".

18. robotfish

robotfish Member

Oct 4, 2010
    this game is awesome. but how do you unlock more employees? I'm on year 17 and the only employee left for hire in Open House is Jane Dough :(

19. Midi_Amp

Midi_Amp Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Just another liaison
    How is your fan base? On my 12th year, 200+ skills employee are lining up good. I had 20 something games with my last 3 or 4 got the hall of fame and for the last 2 years my games won at least 2 awards.

Try to mix and match between the game direction and your fan base. On my third play, I focus the game direction to cuteness, simplicity and polish... All the girls love my games :D It really is a fun game. A statistic based game, but fun.

20. Huh?