rv.nu a new tool for developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by suksmo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I've recently been working in conjunction with rv.nu beta testing their new system. Its really cool and believe its another tool in the developers arsenal (and its free!).

rv.nu are providing a complete system:-

- It has provided in app feedback. I can ask my users to rate features or levels in a very Apple like way. Feedback is immediate so I can analyze it and work on it at once.

[​IMG]

An example of the feedback alertview at present - its very like Apple's so users will tend to use it more.

- I can message my users immediately keeping them up to date with whats happening, new features, updates and new apps.

[​IMG]

An example of an in app message.

- rv.nu provide a website (which is soon to be updated to be more Apple like) - here's mine http://rv.nu/scrambleface. My customers can leave reviews, read my blog and interact with me and each other via the forums which all are part of the rv.nu system. Google analytics are built into the website so I can check when and what my customers are using.

Adding the framework to my app took minutes. The functionality it adds means its win win! Setting up your website, forums and blog are simple (and really handy if you don't have a website or don't know how to set up a forum).

The system has provided me with a great way to increase use, retention and let customers know about my next big project.

Further innovations are planned so its definetly one to watch.

You can request a free beta invite at RV.NU

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Why is that better than to send your user directly to the appstore to make a real vote.

All you do with such tools is fragment your ratings.. 1000 five star ratings one that side doesnt give you any visibilitie on the store..so why even bother?

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Doesnt look like he's trying to use it as an alternative to iTunes rating. He is looking to get specific feedback (assuming it works out as intended) about different levels instead of a single rating for the whole app. This can help them find out weak portion of the app and they can easily prioritize where they need to work first.

I'm not sure myself if it'll work well enough though. Not too many will like it if the app bugs them to rate a level every time they finish one.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hmm.. ok ic.. well i assumed an app rating when i saw the starts..

rating individual levels hmm most people don't even rate the app.

and a rating doesnt give you any hint on whats wrong with a level if it gets low stars..

if you want feedback from your users you can easily add a mail form to your game and let the user send you their feedback n written form..

also the "most" popular open feint platform offers a forum for each game, directly accessable ingame, so user can exchange ideas&feedback instantly.. if they want..

at the end no one likes surveys.. nagging the user should be kept to a minimum..

5. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I use it to gain feedback when the customer first plays say every third level.

It obviously doesn't let me know what's wrong, I can however promote the forums for customers to discuss what's wrong/right.

Currently my questions are -

How much fun is level 1?
    How impressive is Scrambleface?
    Would you recommend Scrambleface to a friend?
    How would you rate the presentation of Scrambleface?
    How responsive do you find the controls?

I can change the questions daily or even hourly. It basically gives me clues as to where to improve.

I've worked out that people do find the game lots of fun but maybe a little hardcore and would like clearer instructions so I'm going to add More basic sliding puzzles with a walkthrough guide. I've also worked out kids love the game but again too many squares/too hard so this'll work for them too. I'll prob release these earlier levels as a lite version with in app purchase to maximise potential customers (and I can obtain feedback from them).

I'd say it's a good move for my app. The concept is unique and quite striking but it hasn't had major success. It has been featured on two major websites. It hasn't had new and noteworthy (why? I would think it ticks a lot of Apples boxes - unique, pushing the technology). I probably need to get the concept sold and this hopefully is helping me work towards spreading the word from my userbase/retaining them and working out how to obtain new customers.

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I can see this stuff really usefull for beta testing, but once the apps goes live it might be too much to ask these questions to the customers.

Depending on your app, you might find some clever stuff to ask your player and redirect them to your site if applicable.

JC