Subscribing to Social Groups

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Red1, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #1 Red1, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    The existing thread subscription functionality is great for tracking threads of interest.

Suggestion: It would be great if >Quick Links > Subscribed Threads was renamed to "Show Subscriptions" and listed any SOCIAL GROUPS with updates. To implement this, the Mark Forums Read function would need to mark social groups as read too.

This change would help optimize my T.A browsing habits (below)-- therefore it's important :)
    > Check for subscribed thread updates.
    > Manually browse for social group(s) updates
    > Check T.A main page
    > Check for new messages / threads.
    > Mark forums read.
    > Repeat!

Some social groups are used for beta testing or promo code exchanges and some users might find it useful to get email updates when social group posts are made, as they can for threads.

Lastly, social groups don't have the same text field options as the forum threads (eg: no Spoilers icon etc). It would be nice if the same options were used consistently across the site. Perhaps there's a reason for this?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This sort of is a suggestion that you need to give the actual developers of VBulletin, we're just running the standard forum software with a few plugins on top of it. Once you start dabbling in heavy modification of how core systems like subscription functionality it becomes incredibly difficult to stay with forum software updates.

3. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Okay, I'll flick my suggestion to VBulletin as you suggest.

Thanks.