Diary Of John: A Horror Point-And-Click Adventure!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DoomBotSeven, Jan 6, 2011.

1. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    #1 DoomBotSeven, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    THIS GAME CONTAINS MATURE HORROR CONTENT!

[​IMG][​IMG]

"YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, JOHN!"

Calm down, Sam..

"BECAUSE I'M ****ING TOMMY WISEAU!"

No, you're not, Sam, now you're just acting retarded. So shut up!

Here's what Sam is: a college student with everything going for him..

Until he gets sedated and abducted from a bar and dragged to a red pickup car.
    Until a sick murderer sews a carefully made deer mask into his face.
    Until he is thrown into a decayed storage room in an old abandoned factory.
    Until he is given the task to violently kill the other prisoners in the factory.
    Until everything goes to hell.

And most importantly, until he gets back.
    And that's where you come in.

Diary Of John is a horror point-and-click adventure with focus on a good story, an immersing experience and visual appeal.
    Diary Of John's prominent feature is its distinctive art created with photography and photomanipulation by developers misterhessu and Skorpius.
    We may even get a Comic Artist onboard to do some cut-scenes.

Here are some screenshots from the game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All videos of Diary Of John are and will always be here (currently there are two gameplay videos):
    YouTube account DIARYOFJOHN

The game is currently being developed on Game Maker 8 on Windows, and we are planning to publish the game for the iOS through YoYoGames, the developers of Game Maker. Here is the information about the YoYoGames publishing program.

That is the main plan, but we also have alternative options for the eventual iOS publishing.

The other main platform for Diary Of John is PC, and the PC alpha version is downloadable below:
    http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5bd8mb8wknd

THESE ARE THE PLACES TO CHECK OUT ALL THE UPDATES ON DIARY OF JOHN:

DeviantART hub: http://diaryofjohn.deviantart.com/
    YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/DIARYOFJOHN
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/diaryofjohn

QUICK INFO:
    Game title: Diary Of John
    Category: Horror, Point-And-Click, Adventure
    GM Version: 8
    Alpha file size: 26 MB
    Resolution: 960 x 640
    First alpha download link: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5bd8mb8wknd

Thanks to you all, I'd love to hear what you think.

EDIT: After doing some research, I think this version of the game would be better called an alpha version instead of a beta. Corrections have been made to the text.

EDIT: Corrections have also been made to the wording of the text, regarding the iOS version.

Heikki
    misterhessu

2. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    #2 DoomBotSeven, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    I put this stuff up here so you can have a look at the project, tell me what you think and help me shape this game. Please write down your impressions and comments, they are very valuable to me. Thanks!

3. pablo6630

pablo6630 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    this is PC version not iphone:(

4. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    Why would you post this if you don't know it will be available for iOS or not?

5. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Okay, here are my thoughts regarding your questions.

Isn't that the case for all games developed for the iOS? I mean, every game's publishing depends on the last phase on Apple's decision. Only with this game it depends on both Apple's and YoYoGames's decision. So I don't really see what is the problem.

As you must know there is no way to compile any iOS games if you're developing on the Windows platform. YoYoGames offers a solution to get around this by publishing Game Maker-based games, whether they are made on Windows or a Mac, to iOS and other platforms.

I am developing this for PC and iOS, from the start the main platform has been iOS and that is where I want to publish this. It is the goal of this game, to be published on the App Store.

Basically, the development team makes this game the best it can be on Game Maker. Then we'll publish it on PC and send the game to YoYoGames. After YoYoGames's decision, the game is either published for the iOS right away, or we'll find a different way to publish it for the iOS. I can assure you we are very set on publishing the game for the iOS one way or another.

And if I offer you the chance to try the Windows version, which gives you a really in-depth look to the game, I don't see a problem there either.. As the iOS version would be exactly the same as the final Windows version. I also have gameplay videos, I offer many ways to see the game in action. If the thought of trying an iOS game on Windows gives you a rash, then don't. Just watch the videos. If the whole publishing plan gives you a rash, this game is not for you.. :)

If the whole YoYoGames publishing program is new to you.. Here is the info about it.

6. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    Ah ok, maybe I read it wrong. The way it was worded before it was changed looked to me like it wasn't meant for this platform but you cleared that up. Good luck on the game, it looks kinda cool.

7. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Ah, yes. I agree, the wording was not good before. This game has been from the start a multi-platform project, and at the moment it is playable only on PC. IOS is the other main platform, and at the moment our plan is to publish the game for iOS through YoYoGames.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

8. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I added a warning to the first post.

It should be taken seriously, this game contains mature horror content that might disturb some people!

9. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    #9 bmdino, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    Looks like it'll be too much of a bloodfest.

10. DoomBotSeven

DoomBotSeven Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I've thought about this, and to be honest, I really don't know whether I'd define the game as a "bloodfest", or not. I find the term to be somewhat subjective..

Still, the game doesn't really have much violence or blood. The main focus is on a psychological horror story. I have one movie that is the greatest inspiration to this game, Saw. The thing is though, the game doesn't have much of the gore elements from Saw, although..

Oh yes, there will be blood. ;D

To me the main element of the first Saw movie, two men imprisoned in a room, with a mystery involved, has always been a most intriguing premise. Now this is very much like the point-and-click "escape the room" games, right? This main premise of the main character imprisoned therefore follows the pattern of both the movie and other movies about imprisoned people solving a mystery, as well as the games about imprisoned people escaping from their captivity.

But back to your comment, in my opinion this game is not about bloodshed. This game is about the themes of evil and fear. Also, the best way really for you to find out if the game is too much of a bloodfest for you, is to download the alpha and try it out. If you already have and you think it is too much bloodshed, I respect your opinion absolutely. As I said I find what one thinks as too much bloodshed to be subjective.

So my point is, I'd be very glad if you tried the alpha out and made up your mind after that. I think it is the only definitive way for you to know..

And I'll stress this out one more time, this is unrelated to your comment, but anyway: this game is a multi-platform game. It is being developed on 960x640 iPhone and iPod touch four resolution. At the moment it still has controls like spacebar, but these will be changed for the iOS version. We are set on releasing the game for iOS, the iOS is as important platform for us as PC.