Cops and Zombies

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by B.I.G Games, Jan 27, 2011.

1. B.I.G Games

B.I.G Games Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    #1 B.I.G Games, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    Cops and Zombies is a mix of an RTS and a Tower Defense game. You control the cops, which behave like mobile towers, and use them to accomplish various objectives. (Saving people, defending stuff, retrieving stuff, bombing stuff, you know, the usual things people do during the zombie apocalypse)

Some cool stuff:
    - 10 different weapon upgrades
    - 6 armor upgrades
    - 11 Tile improvements
    - 7 Special abilities
    - 4 different regular zombies and 3 boss zombies
    - Lots of zombies on the map at the same time
    - Destructible stuff. You can destroy buildings and foliage if you have a powerful enough weapon.
    - 10 Scenarios
    - A Custom Game mode
    - It'll be free with some in-App purchases

Some cool stuff we did that devs might be interested in:
    - The AI is the cool thing here. The game idea came from an AI project me and Harry did a few years back. The point of it was to test flocking and basic learning. So yeah, we found hordes of zombies look so much cooler as a flock. They behave a whole lot more like you'd expect them to. We really didn't want to do a typical tower defense game where the zombies would be on some track or spawn somewhere and walk in a straight line to the goal. There are other typical things like pathfinding and some decision stuff, but the zombies are definitely the coolest part.
    - We're also big fans of being able to alter the world, so if you shoot too many rockets at a building you'll destroy it and anything you might have built on it. If you put down an oil slick and some fire hits it, it'll catch on fire and burn for a while.

Let us know what you think.

Also if you have any questions about how we do anything or how the game plays feel free to ask.

Gameplay Video:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    lol Broke Indie Guys B.I.G very creative. GL with your app and i like the badge

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Sounds very interesting. Can't wait to hear more. Will you post up more screenshots this week?

4. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    @Epox
    Thanks, Cops and Zombies is coming along very nicely so far.

@crex
    Yeah, I'm currently making a quick video of the AI demo that we made back in '08. The game is well under way, I'll post some screen shots later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

5. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Well here's the demo that inspired this game.

The blue things are the cops line of sight. IT was tile based, so it looks a little weird some times.

The way learning worked was that we kept track of where cops had died and where zombies had died. After every time the simulation was run the new data was combined with all the previous saved data.
    Then the cops chose places that they thought they would be safe while still killing lots of zombies. After a few runs the cops learned to corner up and stick together.

When learning was off the cops pretty much just chose random locations and quickly died.

6. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Well I promised some screen shots. So here they are.

I was just testing some of the weapons and armor combinations.

I was hoping to add in much of the UI today, but instead I drank and played TF2, so yeah.... I'll post some new stuff once that's done.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Looks cool.

8. #8 RaymondD, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    Oh man, it's been awhile since we've had anything on this game, but we're really close to having this game out now. Sorry for the wait, but we've had our fair share of distractions (Zombie Glider, Assemblage 2, The Sprint, and some others). But onto the good news, a video!!! Keep in mind there is still some polish and balancing left to do.

The first part of the video is just some raw gameplay footage, for a look at some of the weapons/boss zombies, that starts at the 57 second mark. The following link starts with the video at 57 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5GyiHxXhc8&t=0m57s

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Definitely looks interesting!

10. ErnestoH

ErnestoH Member

Jun 21, 2011
    iPhone indie game developer
    Redmond, WA
  11. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    I updated the original post to have a more accurate description and added some new screenshots.

The game should be done by next week, then hopefully on the market 2 weeks from now as long as nothing explodes.

12. PnExT

PnExT Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    loool,this is stupid game that i ever seen,i think no one will buy this..

13. B.I.G Games

Dec 9, 2010
    Not to worry, no one will need to buy it. Because it'll be free and there will be much merriment and other such things.

14. Oh come on, Cops and Zombies can't possibly be the stupidest game you've ever seen...

[​IMG]

...from this point on.