Game of the Year

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ianlow32, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Seeing that we nearing end of the year, I thought it would be fun to start putting up some nominations for the above, and some assorted categories as well for the iDevice gaming for 2009.

Best Graphics Technical

1. Modern Combat
    2. Real Racing
    3. Backbreaker

Choice: Modern Combat for giving a fantastically smooth 3D FPS environment with great detail, textures and even lighting even on older iDevices

Best Graphics Design

1. Rolando 2
    2. Toki Tori
    3. Castle of Magic

Choice: Rolando 2 for very unique character and level designs and giving a 2.5D sheen to it this year as well

Best Sound

1. Modern Combat
    2. Eliminate
    3. Minigore

Choice: MC for giving a truly cinematic and Band of Bros like quality, and providing almost all voice work combined with great sound effects and a rousing score to augment.

Best Music

1. Castle of Magic
    2. Minigore
    3. Adrenaline Golf

Choice: CoM for proving a wonderfully atmospheric and orchestral soundtrack

Best Puzzler

1. Orbital
    2. Ancient Frog
    3. Azkend

Choice: Orbital for a simple yet very addictive gaming experience in 5 min bursts

Best Sports

1. Backbreaker
    2. Real Football 2010
    3. Tiger Woods PGA Tour

Choice: Backbreaker for despite not a full football game, gives a very realistic and more fun football experience than any other game on iDevice this year. RF 2010 and TW however were really very solid sports games with full features that is comparable to handheld consoles anytime.

Best Strategy

1. Star Defense
    2. Tower Madness
    3. Castle Warriors

Choice: Star Defense for having the most polished of all TW games. Note I have not played C&C yet.

Best Shooter 2D

1. Meteor Blitz
    2. Isotope
    3. Space Invader Infinity

Choice: Meteor Blitz for coming out of nowhere and being highly polished and addictive and smooth all at once.

Best Shooter FPS/Third Person

1. Modern Combat
    2. Eliminate
    3. COD Zombies

Choice: Eliminate and this being a very close call among 3 very fantastic shooters for iDevice, something not imaginable just 12 months ago. Note id failure to show up for me as they were a huge letdown in this area for just rehashing all classics at ridiculously high prices.

Best Casual

1. Smashed
    2. Luxor
    3. Castle Frenzy

Choice: Tie between Castle Frenzy and Smashed, 2 very recent games that have occupied my coffee breaks and waiting for the missus periods.

Best Adventure

1. Secret of Monkey Island
    2. Mysterious Island

Choice: SoM gets my vote for bringing a successful and very excellent classic adventure to the iPhone and updating it in the process. id pls note.

Best RPG

1. Dungeon Hunter
    2. Ravensword
    3. Zenonia

Choice: DH for bringing another console/PC experience to the iDevice successfully.

Best Racing Game

1. Real Racing
    2. Asphalt 5
    3. Rally Master Pro

Choice: Asphalt by just a whisker over RR as A5 gave me more fun over the long run. Close call also.

Best Original IDevice Game

1. Spider
    2. Smashed
    3. Ancient Frog

Choice: Ancient Frog for being so fresh and beautiful and zen like. Zen Bound didnt qualify for me as it was originally conceived for PC or some other platform.

Best Multiplayer Game

1. Eliminate
    2. Homerun Battle 3D
    3. FAST

Choice: Eliminate for just taking the online iDevice community by storm, though HB 3D did occupy that spot for some time. And COD, I just feel is not yet complete in this area, though its fun still.

Biggest disappointment so far

Namco/Capcom/Sega - for 3 very legendary gaming companies, they have not only stuttered on this new platform, but been charging way too high. EA is guilty of some titles as well, but fortunately, is balanced out by some very good quality ones. Sega Sega Sega, for someone who had the biggest selling game of 2008, where are you apart from bad ports of Sonic and Golden Axe?

Capcom is trying very hard, but seriously they can do so much better for this arcade giant. And Namco, where are the international releases???

Biggest surprise so far

No premium app stores for the giants, which is very good news to me. I personally feel the success of Apple app store depends on good quality games at the lowest price with the best distribution channel possible - digitally.

Best gaming company

This is a tie between ngmoco and Gameloft.

ngmoco for being innovative, and setting up plus network so elegantly and comprehensively and insisting on only original IP for their games. Eliminate, Touchpet Dogs, Star Defense, Rolando 2 are all testament to their innovation and boldness and is paying off now, especially for in app purchases, and being the first company to do it successfully.

Gameloft despite being heavily criticized for ripping console and PC games as their own, deserves high praise for bringing high quality, groundbreaking 3D graphics and production values to this very new platform and consistency in bringing out not just loads of games but equally, each one a very solid one at worst. Here's hoping gameloft will devote more time now with the success they have had to develop some new original content in 2010.

Game of the Year

1. Eliminate
    2. Modern Combat
    3. Gangstar
    4. Backbreaker
    5. Meteor Blitz

Choice: Gangstar for being the 1st iDevice game to bring a full console like experience to the platform with a smooth 3D engine and a full sandbox environment. MC and Eliminate has shown how FPS can be achieved successfully both for single player campaign and multiplayer deathmatch/online. Backbreaker and Meteor Blitz shows that iDevices need not need console playing time, but brilliant short 5 min bursts of goodness on the go, something which the device is best suited for.

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    So...
    Its a tie between ngmoco and gameloft, but ngmoco has only 4 "good" games, while gameloft has more than 20.

Yeah....

3. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
  4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Your nominations, your winners, your personal statements... and I often disagree :)

5. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Terrible, terrible list.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thread of the year.

7. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Lololol

IMO gameloft wins the crown for everything

/thread

8. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

Horrid list and posted in the wrong place.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1 thread closed

10. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Eliminate is definitely not the game of the year.

11. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Backbreaker as fourth best game of the year? Are you kidding me?

90% of your choices are new. New games are always going to be ranked higher than they should be.

12. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Congrats, you'd made The Most Terrible List of the YEAR. I like how you keep sneaking ngmofo crap in there. You gotta stop it, we can see through the ploy.

ngmofo tie with mighty gameloft?? WTF. Are you crazy? How can your local diner compare to MacDonalds. ngmofo isn't even comparable to Chillingo, who has more games and more top 100 games to boot. Your list sucks balls.

Best strategy Star Defense?!?! WTF. I'll let the TD groupies skin you alive on that one.

Luxor??!? WTF. Are you kidding me!?!? First up, it is much weaker than the cheaper competition, or well, they "forced" the competition out of the market so they are the best now?? WTF. Your list is lame.

Elimilame game of the year? WTF. _ANY_ of the top gameloft games will leave that crap in the dust.

Don't try to group ngmofo with the big boys. EA and gameloft are in their own private club. Certain company may sound big, but how many games did it ship this year??? Not even close my friend.

13. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Soosiz wins Best Graphics Artistic, Music, and Original Game for me. It is definitely one of the best games on the App Store.

14. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Original game? No...
    Its still good though.

LOL @thethreadmaker
    He's getting pwned

15. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    isn't it Enviro the game of the year? :D

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    There are a lot of great games that came out earlier in the year that you're completely missing. Didn't Zen Bound come out in like January?(I'm pretty sure it was early '09). That game incredible music and sound, much better than any other game I've seen in the app store.

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    hmm well I think a couple games were on that list constantly. It was biased too. And the game selection was to big titles. Other than that its good.

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    considerations for games of the year should include those that were released at the beginning of the year and not just the new popular ones...also I hate the list as well :[ and don't see how orbital is a puzzler or how Acient Frog is a good one

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Eliminate isn't even game of the week. It's game of the weak. Hopefully I don't need to buy an "energy pack" to make this post.

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I thought Castle of Magic and Star Defense were fairly horrible games..