Tides of War (Pirate themed Defense game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lazypeon, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I'm proud to announce that Tides of War should hopefully be submitted to Apple this weekend! It's a simple Pirate-themed defense game. In Tides, you take the role of the British Royal Navy, and have to stop the pirate invasion for 30 waves.

The game plays like a bit like an RTS, in that you control individual units and some structures. After each wave of pirates, you receive resources to buy different units, weapons, and abilities. All in all, there are 7 units, 5 structures, and 4 abilities, and I plan to introduce more of each in updates. Maps are randomly generated each time, and the terrain elements (rocks, trees) provide defensive bonuses for your units.

The game will be 99 cents, and will have some cool content updates (bug fix updates are BORING :))

I'm not doing a beta test, but please PM me if you would like a promo code AND would be willing to write a review -- I'm really counting on TA users to download & try the game! I don't know how many PM's I'll get, but I'll do my best to give as many people as possible a code once the game is out.

Here are some screenshots below -- sorry, no video. I don't have any video recording devices and my Mac Mini chugs with the simulator, much less a video recording application at the same time. (I'll buy a beefier dev machine if this game sells ;))

Most of the art is done freelance. I know one of the guys, Tom, has a site and has posted before on TA looking for work. I highly recommend him, and you can check out his work here: http://2dhero.com/

Please ask me if you have any questions about the game!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rocker1

Rocker1 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    looks great!

3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    yeah, this looks like it could be really fun. A refreshing new take on the "wave survival" genre

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #4 ultimo, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    It looks like it can be really much fun. Hope I'll get the chance to review this game.

6. Albo

Albo Member

May 8, 2009
    Looks like it could be pretty fun, I like that it seems to be a mix of an RTS and TD, should keep things fresh.

7. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah this game does look cool-like a more fresh take on a couple genres.

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I definitely recognize the pixel art style on the portraits, whos the artist?

9. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Pixel artist on the portraits is Logan Tanner (aka ThereIsNoCure). I found his work on the Pixel Joint forums and got him to create a few portraits for me. I really like this style -- you can see some more his work here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm

10. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Just submitted the final build to Apple on Sunday. I'm excited to get the application live on the store, so hopefully Apple doesn't find any issues with it.

Once I have the promo codes and app is live, I'll give them out. So far, anyone that PM'd me will be getting a code :)

11. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Yay! I'm looking forward to it. Your game looks fun, hopefully it gets approved soon.

12. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm very glad to hear that! I'm looking forward to review the game.

13. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Anyone playing this game?

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Its out now

15. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Aw the dev just signed out a few hours ago too. He missed his release.

16. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh, I thought it had been out for a couple of weeks.

17. specialkbar

specialkbar Member

Oct 16, 2009
    The developer has put this up for free to celebrate their new game Ski Champ!
    thank you!:)