Incentivized video ad experiences

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by InkForgedStudios, Mar 4, 2015.

1. InkForgedStudios

InkForgedStudios New Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Has anyone implemented incentivized video ads that would like to share your experience. What network do you use? How much money do you make per video view?

I've implemented it into my game, I'm using both Flurry and Chartboost. Both seem to pay out about $0.01 per video view, This seems really low.

2. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    It depends on a lot of factors. From my experience I think some of the biggest ones are how popular your game is and what kind of game it is. I use AdColony and Chartboost and AdColony performs better, however you must really get a lot of views to make it worthwhile. When I had about 30,000 downloads in a couple days the revenue was at about $10/day. Granted the "Watch a video for coins button" was not in a prime spot so I didn't capitalize on the potential views like I could have.

$.01 to $.20 is the range that I earn from video ads. Rarely do I ever exceed that. So you're just on the low end right now. If Crossy Road can make a million bucks + with this strategy obviously it works, but just like any other game (crossy road included) you must have a large userbase and you must have your incentivized video ad message front and center... somewhere users will click it! that's important.

3. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Most of them pay on a per install rate I have found, so you tend to get pretty much nothing, then like a spike of $1.50 or so some hours when someone clicked the video and installed the app.

Because its a pay per install it only really works for you if you are getting a lot of views.

We use AppLovin, for one of our apps, we had 262,037 video views in the last 30days (8734 views per day), with an eCPM $2.76, so that works out at about $0.003 per video view. Making about $25 per day.

4. HopperGames

HopperGames Active Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Appstores
    Chartboost Video in an iOS app. eCPM about $10 - you still need lots of viewers to get $10. It's easier to get $10 with fullscreen ads.

5. leoborisovich

leoborisovich Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Have you tried integrating any brand video ads? I haven't tried these myself, but I know Yume and HyprMx offer brand based videos...

I'm not sure how much they pay out, but since there's nothing to install, the income per impression must be better.

6. HopperGames

HopperGames Active Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Appstores
    Integrating video ads is mandatory these days. Offering rewards like coins/free continue's or whatever seems attractive for gamers.

At least I click on those rewarded ads :)

7. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    How are the fill rates and is there a limit on the number of incentive ads you can show per user per 24 hours?

8. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I can't speak to any numbers, but we use Fyber for mediation and have dropped in Unity Ads/Applifier, and Ad Colony.

Overall, IV has been a great addition to our monetization strategy.

9. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    In our experience, Chartboost, Vungle, Unity all good for incentivized video in games. Supersonic not so good. I also hear good things about NativeX but have not used them myself.

10. fanstudiouk

fanstudiouk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 21, 2011
    Male
    Game Development Company
    London
    Started to use Unity since last month on our game Wall Race.

Typically it takes 5000 impressions or more to determine the quality of the users we are sending.

Revenue is generated based on the quality of your users and the impressions you are showing. There's no "one unified way" of pre-calculating the revenue generated by your game as we run different types of campaigns with different billing points based on completed views, clicks, and installs.

Their system always selects the best possible campaigns -- in terms of revenue -- for your users.

This is the info I got from them, hope it's usefull...

11. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Which ad network would you guys suggest for a small game which might get <1000 impressions?

12. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Not really worth bothering. You would get like a dollar at best.

13. volcank

volcank Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2015
    @yoethan Hi,

For less impressions still Chartboost seems to be working fine. Talking about interstitial ads and make sure you maek more apps page. Even less downloads you might hit the jackpot with some installs per day and get a few dollars even you have low downloads. Also make sure you also make a high CPI campaing like CPI=8 dollars or 10 dollars. Even the chance is low sometimes you get nice revenues. One time I got like 5 dollars from one install only from one user. So make sure you put around those interstitials and moreapps. Unfortunately at IOS you can not put an More Apps button to advertise other app I think that is not allowed so I don't take that risk when I upload my games. but with Android you can put a button in Title screen named "More Games" and when user clicks it more games page pops up. Also to find out which ad network works bets it is best to mix them up inside your game to see which performes better. My games do not have high download rate like yours but still make some dollars time to time. for me Chartboost and Admob seems to work ok for now. But I actually worry more on making a good game for players with high retention than the ad networks I believe that is a better strategy and move on. Make as many games and apps.

Good luck with downloads

14. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Hey volcank, what you said is true. I should spend more time making a quality game rather than worrying too much about monetizing at this point. I advise this to all new developers too.