Do we still like doodle games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DarwinAce, Apr 19, 2011.

?

Do you want more doodle games?

1. Yes, i like doodle games and want to see more.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, i'd rather have games with polished graphics and art.

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. DarwinAce

DarwinAce Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I know doodle games were innovative and fresh a looooong while ago.

but do we still want any more?, i mean, it's an old idea, and it's ugly 90% of the time. I'm at the point where i don't even want to give them a chance past the name... if it has doodle on it, i'm not even clicking

do we still look forward to doodle games?

2. plantstorm

plantstorm Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    why not??? I'm just a fan of doodle games.

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    No, The countless copies and imitations of the genre has ruined it for me, And many of the developers.

4. DarwinAce

Apr 13, 2011
    that's what i mean... i think people can still use the same graphic style but it's currently ruined by all the cheap imitations that are crowding and hiding all the great games of the category out there.

some of them use this concept as a cheap excuse to avoid using a proper graphic artist for the game.

I don't mind if the game is great, but it feels like 90% of the doodle games are nothing but poorly made copies of greater games, very few next to none offer anything interesting to the genre.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Who cares what art style they use if the game is fun?

6. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I agree with this. Nevertheless, I pretty much ignore all doodle games at this point.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the style itself. The problem is that the endless torrent of Doodle XXX titles includes a lot of a) uninspired knock-off games from developers too lazy to come up with new ideas for games and/or presentation, and b) games by developers whose art and design skills leave much to be desired, and who use the "doodle" style to camouflage their deficiencies in this area.

The bottom line is that if a game is a "doodle" game, the likelihood that it's crap is significantly higher than average.

7. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Call me a graphics whore, but I do care. When I play a game, my enjoyment is dependent on the overall package (gameplay, graphics, plot, audio, etc). If one is lacking, then another better be making up for it. All of the doodle games I've played are generally simple, low-budget (I don't mean this to have the same negative connotation that it's usually given) games for which I could usually find a similar clone with better graphics (and often better gameplay as well). I happen to dislike graphics that are stylistically bad. Just because it's intentional doesn't really make it any better in my eyes. So if I'm going to play a doodle game, it better be damn amazing in some other aspect, but I've yet to see one that I couldn't find a preferable alternative elsewhere.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    At first it was a fairly cool idea.

But now it's an excuse to do a half-arsed job on graphics.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Doodle Jump ended the trend of when it was cool to be honest. That was over a year ago.

10. DarwinAce

Apr 13, 2011
    That's exactly my argument, developers should stop making doodle games unless there's a reason for it, apple should be the ones filtering this stuff... it's hindering the chances for a creative developer to launch a successful game on a sea of garbage.

11. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    At first, I friggin' loved the doodle games and bought most of them. Then as it started catching on, moron developers began to latch on to a once great idea and now we have apps that are complete junk. So no, no more doodle games. They ruined it for us all. :mad::(:mad::(:mad:

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    only the good ones. Doodle Army 1 and 2 are brilliant, for example

13. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Doodle Army 1 and 2
    Doodle Jump

All the others are crap.:mad:

14. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    As a reviewer, I must argue that games are not just toys, we should evaluate from the perspective of artistic merit which is also the essence of a game.

15. cauliflower36

cauliflower36 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    To be frank, I'm kinda bored with it, though it's cool and awesome at first. Maybe just coz it's soooooooo.........popular that makes me think it's not unique.

16. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Why not? As it was said, there still 10% chance of decent doodle games...:)

17. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    As long there is some great gameplay and controls and something that makes it unique. The style is getting a little old though.

18. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    There is no way 10% of doodle games or even 10% of all App Store games are decent. The OP didn't mean the number to be literal.

19. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    never judge a book by it cover... maybe by its user reviews... maybe

20. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Doodle Army 1+2 and Doodle Jump. Doodle Bomb was pretty good too.

I do not get excited about any other doodle games.