Apple TV

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by psj3809, Jan 2, 2013.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Never been that interested in this before as i dont really want to stream videos or that to my tv

But read a bit more about it and the 'mirroring' which sounds good. So i can play a game on my ipad and use the controls on that and see the game on my large TV.

Has anyone done this, does it work okay ?

2. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't have an Apple TV, but you can try the mirroring functionality on your computer with Airserver. On the download page, hit free and stick in an email (can be disposable email) to get a weeklong trial and then download the app. Then you can airplay your iDevice to your PC/Mac and see how you like it!

From what I've used of that app, there is a small amount of lag depending on the strength of your internet, and a surprising amount of my apps weren't optimised for the airplay. Only ones were Real Racing 2 and MC3 (or that I tried).

I also rigged up my PC to my TV for "real mirroring to TV", and it wasn't that great as my TV is far away from my seat enough so that the iPad display was perspectively bigger. So not too worth it in that case :p

Anyway, it's still pretty cool and worth trying out, but personally, I wouldn't get an Apple TV solely for the purpose of mirroring.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thankyou, thats great

Yeah its a fair bit of money for just 'mirroring', liking the potential of this though for gaming or reading graphic novels.

Just trying out that link, thanks for telling me about that, very useful

Edit - Doh ! Doesnt work for Windows XP, just win 7 or above. Oh well !