Capturing sample videos

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MHille, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

What methods are people using for capturing sample videos from their apps? For both the iPhone and the iPad.

I tried just using a video camera and the results were not too good.

Thanks

Matthew

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

For a video camera you have to be able to lock focus and light levels, that way when your hand comes in it doesn't freak out. Otherwise, just use some screen capture software. Up to you.

3. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    If you jailbreak your iphone or ipad you can use an app called Display Recorder which works extremely well.You can control the frame rate, quality, video format and orientation.

4. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    I'm also looking for something like this. One you jailbreak the developer iPad, can you resotre the non-jailbreaked status? Or xcode works well with a jailbreaked device?

5. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

#5 MrLeQuack, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    It does not matter if you have a jailbreaked iPhone, xcode works the same!
    I suggest you use iSimulate, you control your iPhone simulator with your real device!And you capture your screen using any software of your choosing.I installed it yesterday and it works awesome!
    http://www.vimov.com/isimulate/

6. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    #6 helioxfilm, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    My problem is that the iPad simulator runs at 20 fps without screen recording, and at 15 fps, if I record the screen...

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

You can try capturing video from the HDMI-output of the iPad digital output adapter. (We couldn't get it working with our Blackmagic Intensity Pro, though!)

So instead these days we're simply capturing footage from a desktop build that we run at the desired device resolution. Note that this means a native PC or Mac build, not the simulator build.

8. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Someone tested BlackMagic HyperDeck Shuttle with iPad 2 HDMI mirroring output?

9. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice find!

10. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

What I ended up doing

Thanks for everyones responses. I thought I would give you a quick summary of what I ended up doing.

I liked the HDMI recording approach so that's what I tried.

I bought a AVerMedia HDMI capture card for my PC. This allows to me mirror my iPad screen to the PC. This hardware/software combo allows for recording of the HDMI input but the iPad looks to be using HDCP so the HDMI can't be directly recorded.

Fraps allowed me to record the PC screen. These files are in a fraps format and are large.

I used VLC to transcode the fraps files into a more managable mp4 file.

The quality was good.

Matthew

11. fugufish

fugufish Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Developer
    i used ScreenFlow Recorder for mac. Fire up the emulator and try programming a sequence of touch events (macro style).

12. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

iSimulate does't work on iOs5,they must update their libraries!

13. jimwagner

jimwagner Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I posted this in a new thread before I scrolled down and saw this one, so I'll paste it over here as well:

After trying Simulator and suffering from low FPS, and DisplayOut on a jailbroken device and getting artifact-y footage, I finally hit upon using the official Apple HDMI adaptor outputting from an iPad 2 (or presumably an iPhone4S) into an Aver Media HD capture card.

I actually couldn't capture directly due to HDCP restriction on the signal, but I was able to FRAPS off the preview window for a good quality video source with audio and full multitouch and accelerometer support.

Hope someone else finds this useful!

14. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    I would love to know this as well!

If it can, I will buy one.
    But I am afraid that HDCP or DRM may interfere, and the recorder may refuse to record the iPad2 HDMI mirror?

Has anyone successfully done this?

thx!

Bram

15. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it would be the perfect solution: an independent, portable box that can records in HD! I was very near to buy it some months ago, I asked BlackMagic to confirm its compatibility with iPad 2 HDMI output but they never replied.

It should not be a problem, as "Intensity Shuttle" is know to work. What could be a problem is that the "HyperDeck Shuttle" could not be able to decode the "HDMI RGB format", that should be the output format of the iPad2.

16. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

#16 MHille, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    I just posted my first video to YouTube. YouTube crunched the video a bit, so I have some more work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/dFW8ZB2WWaA

I don't seem to be able to embed the video in the post. Any help?

Matthew

17. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not sure why it won't embed the video, doesn't seem to work for me either on that vid.

Interesting concept though, will you be targeting just iPad or both iPhone and iPad?

18. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

It was designed for the iPad but I dropped it on an iPhone a few weeks ago and it was very playable. So expect an iPhone version with a few tweaks after the IPad version.

Matthew

19. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Thanks Sanuku. Can you please share the how? :)

Matthew