Need help naming a game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 6ap, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6ap

6ap Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Indie
    Toronto
    #1 6ap, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Hey guys,

I need some help. My friends and I are struggling finding a proper name for our game. We nailed it down to the following: "Make Way!" and "Puzzle Runner" (Or "Buzzle Runner" as a spin off). Here is a WIP screenshot of the game:

[​IMG]

The player has to move/destroy obstacles out of the Bee's way in order to enable it to escape from danger. The bee has a mind of its own, and will find the best available path to run away.

Please let me know what you think.

Andrei

Twitter: @SoFyGoFly

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    How about "Bumble Bees".

3. ikariofil

ikariofil Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Bee's escape

4. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Bee there
    2 Bee free
    To Bee or not to Bee
    Free Bee
    Don't Bee Shy
    Bee Bee Q (BBQ)
    I'll Bee there
    I want to Bee free
    Let it Bee
    Bee home (bee for 5)
    Ok I think I wrote enough very stupid titles, sorry for that, but you can make a fun title that will actually catch people attention. Should be short and easy to remember.

5. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #5 EvilArev, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Why not just "Buzzle"? It's short, catchy, easy to remember, tied well to game's content. Adding "Runner" to it gains nothing, distracts from "Buzzle" itself and sounds very generic. I belive "Buzzle" is not only the best choice here but also a really good idea.

Best regards,
    Peter.

p.s. On a side note - I think your icons (the blue glossy circles) resolution is too large, which causes the jagged edges when scaled down.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Or Buzz Run

7. 6ap

6ap Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Indie
    Toronto
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it. That's pretty much the problem we had over the past few months. Every time we try to vote between last week's favorites we end up coming up with new names. LOL.

I like the play on the word Bee. I tried to stay away from it because I wasn't sure if I want to stick with the Bee. Also, it doesn't really explain anything about the game...

@djstout and @JCho133: about names that make fun of themselves... I suggested Buzz Run a few weeks ago and my friends replied that it should be Buzz Kill. lol

@EvilArev: "Buzzle" sounds pretty interesting. Let's see if anyone else likes it. At this point I'm pretty convinced no one likes Puzzle Runner... This may be a good contestant to Make Way! (p.s. about the blue circles... you are right. The UI is a placeholder. Final art is in works).

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha Buzz Kill.

Maybe some more info on gameplay will help? Is it a slow paced methodical game, or a fast paced game where you need to move through those puzzles quick? Info like that should help

Personally I like buzzle as well because when you put "run" or "puzzle" or generally the genre of the game it sounds mostly unoriginal.

9. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    "Buzzle" for sure. Simple, catchy, and easy to remember. Done and done. There you go. Your new game's name is Buzzle.

10. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Save the bee.

11. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I also like buzzle, but not buzzle runner, because that would look like an endless runner at first glance.

I don't like "make way" or any other generic titles with "bees" in them because it'd be a pain to find in search results.. Now apple organises search list results with the most popular games first, even if the title is very different. It's bizarre. Exact matches should surpass them, but nope.

So yeah, stick to something unique, Buzzle is great, or atleast a slight variation like buzzle'd or puzzled buzzle.. You get the picture.

Gameplay sounds interesting, I like puzzlers so ill probably pick this up, depending on the final art style choice, as art style and polish is very important for me, ah I feel so superficial, but it's true. >.<

12. 6ap

6ap Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Indie
    Toronto
    Thank you guys! You are very helpful. I kind of wish I knew and got involved in this forum earlier. It looks like Buzzle is the favorite. So that will probably be it. But before I settle, what do you guys think of: "Buzzle: Make Way!"
    My brother suggested this and I though it may have some merits. First the Buzzle part is obvious as it's a more unique nice name that will be easier to google. And then the "Make Way!" part will help explain to people what the game is about. What are your guys thoughts on that?

@JCho133: I'm going to try and prepare a video over the course of next week and share it here. Overall the gameplay is more on the fast pace side. The whole map moves to the left at a steady rate adding a sense of urgency to your actions. As a player, you spend most of the time swiping tiles (bejeweled style) clearing a path for Charlie (the bee you are trying to help). Additionally, there are many powerups and special tiles that add some spice to the game. (i.e. Fire Tiles are obstacles that can be used to clear other obstacles; Lava Tiles have to be confined before they spread to the entire map; Abilities like Flatten allow you to level out entire sections of tiles/obstacles etc. )

@NOEN: Sounds like you are right. Everybody loves Buzzle. Let me know your thoughts on "Buzzle: Make Way!"

@Sonzberry: The game is a few months a way. Art is the main thing holding it back. Our colleague just discovered his father has cancer, and than really screwed up everyone. Once we get back on track, the focus will be on polish.

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah so is it a match 3? Or are you just moving the objects out of the way? Either way it sounds pretty darn cool. I look forward to the vid

14. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I like buzzle too.
    Just buzzle.

15. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Just Buzzle is good.

16. 6ap

6ap Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Indie
    Toronto
    Hey guys,

I made a video of the game and I shared it here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3078281#post3078281

@JCho133 - The idea started with Match 3 originally... but as we kept working we stirred more and more away from it. Just based on feedback and what people where having fun with. Maybe for Buzzle 2, we'll revisit the topic. :D

Thanks for choosing the name guys!

Andrei

17. 6ap

6ap Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Indie
    Toronto
    Buzzle is now available on iTunes

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the game you helped name is now out on iTunes, and it's awesome:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buzzle/id786666618?ls=1&mt=8

Buzzle is an newly released iOS game, developed by the indie studio Glowbug Labs from Toronto. Buzzle's unique gameplay combines the thrill of infinite runners with the challenge of puzzle games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-gV4daQVo4

The game features Charlie Ironfly, a bug in need of your help in order to escape its relentless adversaries, the Naysayers. As a player, you create a path for Charlie by swapping obstacles out of his way. Charlie follows your lead through levels in its attempt to escape the ever hungry Naysayers.

Featuring beautiful graphics and a great soundtrack, you follow Charlie on his adventures through 4 magical Worlds. Each World has its own unique visuals, gameplay mechanics and features. At your disposal you have an arsenal of 7 different Abilities that you can combine to overcome even the most challenging puzzles.

Buzzle is available now for free on the App Store for both the iPhone and iPad platforms.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buzzle/id786666618?ls=1&mt=8

Information
    More information, screenshots and video can be found at:
    http://glowbuglabs.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/BuzzleGame
    https://twitter.com/BuzzleGame