OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crunc, Oct 28, 2013.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've had Mavericks installed on our Mac mini for several days and I have to say that the memory compression feature is pretty fantastic. At least I believe that is the reason that the mini is much faster now. It use to be that my kids playing Minecraft with (or without) lots of mods would end up slowing everything down afterward. That doesn't happen any more. A big win, especially for free!

I was somewhat surprised to still see the dock shelf (I mean, that it looks like a shelf) - I thought for sure they'd be getting rid of that, to match the iOS 7 style.

I still need to upgrade our Macbook Air, but it was already fast due to the SSD, so I'm not expecting such a big difference in performance. Or at least not to notice it as much.

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm surprised apple have it as a free upgrade! Impressive.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, and we're not having any problems with it either. Seems trouble free. I even skipped over 10.8. Went from 10.7.x to 10.9.0. No problems. Just realize that after it installs there is a LENGTHY optimization bit that happens after you log in. While it runs in the background and in theory you can use the computer while it does this, it will be dog slow. Best to just let it run the optimization over night IMHO.