TouchArcade forums: 2011 Game of the Year (GOTY)! (poll is up!!!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, Nov 5, 2011.

?

Which Game Do You Think Is The 2011 Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2012.
  1. Junk Jack

64 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Mage Gauntlet

32 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Battleheart

41 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Anomaly Warzone: Earth

14 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP

48 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Grand Theft Auto 3

32 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Jetpack Joyride

53 vote(s)
    15.5%
  8. Dead Space

32 vote(s)
    9.4%
  9. Modern Combat 3

28 vote(s)
    8.2%
  10. Infinity Blade 2

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #1 crex, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    Hello all and welcome to the 2nd annual "TouchArcader's Pick for Game of the Year!". You may remember this from last year, but in case you don't, here's a link:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=77789

The same rules apply for this year, however, I have decided to start it a bit early. For the rest of November, take the time to start compiling your top ten list of you favorite games from this year. It has been a looooong year, so choose carefully.

Starting on December 15th, I will begin taking nominations, which should all be listed in ONE post per person, so they're easy to count. DO NOT try to be sneaky and add in an 11th favorite or multiple posts, because trust me, I won't be adding it.

Developers: No campaigning in this thread please.

The top ten most nominated games will be subjected to a poll, which will be added 1 week after nominations begin. From then until January 1st at midnight, you will publicly vote for the ONE game that you like most from the list. The game with the most votes at the end will be the Touch Arcade Forums choice for the 2011 GAME OF THE YEAR!

Have fun! :D

2. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    is there any easy way to check which games released in 2011? :p

I dont really remember what's from this year and what's from last.

3. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Haha. Not really. It's kinda why I mad it early; too many releases in 2011 to count.

You can always just check your purchases on Apple, but it won't tell you the release dates.

4. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
  5. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Easiest way I can think of is (as long as you know what games you're looking for) search them in the TA thread. Find their real game thread and look at the date on top of the first page, and that's generally as close as you'll get to the actual release date.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wow, how can I choose 10 from hundreds?! Well going to nominate indie games, because big games will win anyway.

7. Why end December 30 if we're voting for GOTY? I know Apple is off during Christmas, but we should have a bit more time to let the newer games sink in and let the "new release hype" die a bit first IMO.

8. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    You can check weekly winners of TA GOTW in the winners list thread :
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=110389.

From that thread you can click on the link to weekly poll which have list of games out during that week (on the first page of each poll thread). There are also link to January-April best game of the month poll. Combine it with TA's monthly best games and you will get quite some comprehensive catalogue.

9. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I really can't decide yet because there are WAY too many great games that will be coming out soon (GTA, Infinity Blade 2, Junk Jack, BF3,etc.) so therefore, nominations aren't very valid right now.

10. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Another way of checking when the game was released is AppShopper's AppActivity list for each game.

Can't wait for this to start! Wasn't here last year, so you can probably guess why...

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, AppShopper is the best way. Why was this started before December? Lol, wtf.

12. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #12 crex, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    NOTE: NOMINATIONS ARE NOT STARTING UNTIL DECEMBER.

Does this answer your question:
    Alright, so just chill for now guys and start thinking about your favorites. The nominations won't really start until December. :)

13. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Lol, people (including me) need to properly read through the rules before posting... :p

14. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Alright, just bolded the most important parts of the post. Hopefully people will read it now! :p

15. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    How can this be fair on the games releasing first few weeks of December? I think this should have waited till the 2nd week of december that way it's fair on all the developers. Don't forget we still have some big games to come out, Battlefield 3, Evertales, Superman, Paper Monsters, Gangstar Rio, Junk Jack and more and I think a couple of those will make it into my top 10 and likely others.

16. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Infinity blade 2 release dec 1. End of story

17. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Made some slight changes to the rules that should make a few more people happy. The nominations will be going on for 3 weeks now, and the poll time has been extended to January 1st.

18. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    It's for best game not one you are most hyped for. Relax yourself I'm sure there were other games that you HAVE played that came out this year. There were a ton of people that would say Shawdowgun was GOTY before it came out, not so much after...

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    If ascension doesn't win, i will be sad.

20. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    You will be sad.

I'm just sayin', while TCGs are popular, they have a much more niche appeal than any other games I've heard people say "GOTY for sure!" about so far this year.