"Z-lock" in ios games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Mar 25, 2011.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Was playing some mission europa today and was thinking 'this game is fun, but man I wish i didn't have to fight the controls to shoot stuff with things that aren't with a shotgun'.

Then I remember, didn't nintendo came out with the perfect solution during ocarina time? Z-lock?

It's weird that even gameloft didn't put that in their zelda clone. Just tapping once on an enemy to 'lock the camera' on them than press the shoot button would make combat in these shooter rpgs a lot more fun imo.

Think metroid prime. Has this ever been tried in a ios shooter yet?

2. It would make FPSes too easy.

3. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    hardly. The difficulty of a shooter should never be related to the person's aiming ability, otherwise every pc shooter would be a joke.

You needa manage location positioning, ammo count, other stuff.

aiming shouldn't be an issue.

Have you played Call of duty on consoles? Your iron sight button auto targets the nearest enemy =/

4. How would you be able to pull off headshots with a z-lock? Just tap on the enemies' head? Sounds like that would ruin half the challenge/fun in FPSes. As for the iron sight, I always turn off auto target in the CoD games myself.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I always thought aiming was half the game for any modern FPS..especially on the iOS.

6. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Well pulling off headshots is pretty hard on ios anyways. I guess you can have compromises here and there.

Maybe how they did it in Everything or Nothing, in which you lock on to enemies, than you fine tune your aim for head shots.

idk. I still think ios shooter controls could use some improvement.

7. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, this is a really tricky issue, although it's worth noting that Metroid Prime wasn't really an FPS, but an adventure game in the first-person- you never really were challenged on accurate aim anyway- most enemies, although having weak points, were beaten by jockeying for good positioning, or using the correct weapon etc.

I haven't found FPS control on iDevices to be that great, but i guess it's always going to pale in comparison to a keyboard/ mouse setup, for example.

Perhaps some sort of auto-aim which wasn't fully accurate, then the challenge could be to fine-tune the aim yourself? This is where i would always support implementation of user- adjustable sensitivity sliders, so that you can also control how much movement you need to make those aiming adjustments. Nothing worse than feeling like you have to fight against the controls themselves.

Going back to the Z-lock thing- Ravensword had it, but that's the only example i can think of, and it wasn't a shooter!

8. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    All z-lock did was lock on to the enemy so your camera would follow it. You still have to aim if you want to get an effective shot. I think it could work well.