Strange choice...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Geekfest84, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Geekfest84

Geekfest84 New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    #1 Geekfest84, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Hi folks, I'm after some advice on a strange question/choice I have. Basically, I can't make up my mind whether to buy a new galaxy note 7, or an ipad pro 9.7 to use as a daily driver.... Sounds daft, I know. I buy all my stuff upfront, don't do contracts. I'm not a heavy or power user. my usage pattern is this: taking photos of the kids, Internet surfing, email, Facebook, gaming...

I don't use a phone as a phone much at all. I keep in touch with family and friends via email and Fb messenger. I only phone/text one person regularly, and I already have an iPhone 5c for use as a phone if needed.

Is there any point spending £650+ on a note 7 when a little bit more will get me an ipad pro 9.7 128GB with a data sim in it?

Is there anything (other than phonecall and text) a note 7 can do that an ipad pro 9.7 can't? Not bothered about the iris scanning rubbish. Both devices have pen/stylus....

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading and any advice in advance :)

Regards

Ian

*forgot to add, physical size doesn't matter either, as i always carry a sizeable baby changing back with me when out and about due to having a couple of young kids. :)

2. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    I just went through this same type of decision.
    I needed a cell phone for emergency calls but also wanted it to be stout enough to play games and the other things you mentioned. I ended up using the phone 99% of the time for games and the web etc. and discovered I had chained myself to a small screen I didn't like just to make very rare phone calls maybe a couple times a month.
    I ended up selling the phone and bought an Nvidia Shield tablet for everything but the calls and bought a cheap flip phone for voice calls. I already had an iPad Pro 9.7 for ios games etc. so the Android tablet was to handle games on that platform.

3. Geekfest84

Geekfest84 New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    I also have a android tablet, an Nvidia Note. Like the older version of yours.

What games do you play on Android that you don't/can't on ios, if you don't mind me asking?

So it's not just me with this predicament then? :)

Do you prefer the big screen of the iPad compared to the smaller screen of the phone you had?

Thanks

Ian :)

4. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    #4 Gamer1st, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    It's mostly a space spillover thing with the Shield, and it gives me the ability to have multiple accounts in some games I couldn't easily have with all Apple devices. I can also get at games that launch on Android without the wait for them to be ported.
    Love the tons of extra space on the iPad. I got tired of squinting to see what was on the screen of the Note 4. Gaming has gone from looking like its on a tiny potable tv, (if you're old enough to remember those) to a 60" big screen. Of course the extra benefits may partly be down to the fact that I'm just old and can't see as well as I used to, but I don't see myself ever going back to a phone screen for games and vids. Even if it means hauling an extra device around.

5. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    As owner of iPad Pro 12.9 i can only suggest you that, as you know more and best premium games are on iOS only and the quality of Screen and Speaker are awesome.

6. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    The screen is seriously improved for sure. This is the first iPad I've had that I didn't use a screen protector on. It's would have killed the very effective no glare and fingerprint coating. The speaker boost is also great. I was going to go with a 12" but was afraid it would be too big.

7. Geekfest84

Geekfest84 New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    I had a note 4 too, played baldur's gate on it a lot. But that's msi ly what I do, play games and use Internet related functions. Don't call or text much. I just can't see the point, for my usage needs, to spend £650 ish, on a phone when £719 will get me an ipad pro 9.7. I thought about the 12.9, but whatever I buy needs to have a good camera on it, and the smaller pro has the best tablet camera available.

Thanks

Ian

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I don't have a note 7 or an ipad pro but it seems like question is sort of phone vs tablet.
    I have had an ipad since they first came out. The bigger screen size is great for games, surfing the net, streaming video, looking at photos, etc. I would imagine the Pros are better in every way than the iPad.
    If you dont need the functionality of a high end phone, it seems like a tablet would better suit your needs and so will likely be happier for a longer time with that. The prices of phones have got so ridiculous that my next one will probably be back to a cheapie folder, and I will use my tablet for everything else I do.

The difference gaming, internet surfing, photos, videos on an iPad vs even an iPhone 6+ is night and day. I would chose the tablet over the phone everytime, except if one needs the high end phone functionality in a small package. Good luck with your decision.