Has iphone gaming now on par with PSP and DS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ianlow32, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    jus wondering .. read a report somewhere that psp sales are losing steam .. and so is DS

does that mean iphone gaming and casual 5 min sessions are now the preferred mode for mobile and handheld gamers?

on trains, i never cease to be amazed at the number of ppl playin fruit ninjas, angry birds and so forth ... occasionally someone will be playing a console 3d like gameloft title and wow the person next to him/her

will window mobile 7 with its xbox ties be the next handheld gaming trend ... and is android gaming picking up? lots of android phones being sold, but i dont see as many ppl jumping onto the android game wagon

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    There needs to be a balance between short and log style of play sessions and deep games but also easy to gwt into and addicted games on any platforms if it wants to be a system for a wide range of gamers. The app atore doe ant have that yet, it is geared toward one gamer which is. Never good. And there needs to be a realization among the app store developers that ipad could and should provide longer and deeper gameplay sessions than the iPhone. The iPad is totally underutilized and neglected so far in gaming.

3. mwhite67

mwhite67 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    I feel like there's alot more than just quick casual games available on the iphone. Like Galaxy on Fire 2 that just came out, or all the RPGs that are available or the point and click adventure games like Monkey Island. There's plenty to find on the App stor and more arriving everyday. I hardly ever play my DS or PSP anymore.

4. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Part of that probably has to do with the fact that there are so many more iPhones/iPod Touches than iPads which makes developing for the former more appealing since it's a larger market.

5. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #5 tsharpfilm, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    It will be as soon as Project Sword or Mutant Bash TV are released.

Nope. :mad: Lol.

Doubt it. They have too much catching up to do. We have Epic and John Carmack on our team. *froths violently*

It's trying to, but I don't see it going very far. Their "market place" is a bloody mess, and Droid games are too easy to pirate.

6. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #6 Chocolate, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    I also own PSP and DS.

iOS is very unique. It can't match certain types of games (i.e. fighting games) on those handhelds because it lacks physical controls. But for many types of games, yeah, it's equal and sometimes even much better than PSP or DS.

By the way, I play iOS games far more than PSP/DS. It's just so much more convenient, and does so much more than games too.

Are you insinuating that iOS gaming is only about 5 minute casual games?

Because that's simply wrong. Ten minutes reading reviews on this site ought to make that clear. Yes, we have tons of great pick-up-and-play casual games, but we have lots more than that as well.

Also, game pricing is a BIG plus on iOS. We can get tons of great games for a buck, and even the biggest name titles rarely cost more than a few dollars. Sure beats paying the $30-$40 average price for PSP/DS games, especially PSN games where Sony still expects people to pay $40 for downloaded games that you can't resell. Crazy.

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    for FPSs, we now have gyro controls, but as they just came out this year, the upgrading will take some time,

I'd not compare iOS gaming to any other system, every thing has its own niche, probaly I cannot as my 1st gaming system was an n-gage qd, iPod touch 2g is the 2nd
    I remember how much I used to play on n-gage & my thumbs used to hurt, now I play till my palms hurt for holding the iPod in a specific way,
    I have over 3.5k apps, snagged most of what I wanted when it went free or 99 cents

my ngage died *sheds a tear* (lasted 4.5 years of rough use & falls :) )
    Have also bought games that I needed & felt paying $5 was worth it for me ;
    I bought worms on iOS for $5, Field runners, zenbound 2, reckless racing, penguin catapult by digital chocolate, chocolate shop frenzy for 3,
    bought BIA, A:5, CRR, Doodle army, many others for a $, my 1st $1 app was classics btw

I had no clue that so many games & app'd be available & iOS would evolve like THIS (a Sea of crap with amazing gems)

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But quality will always make money over quantity.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Hey ultimo, but iPad doesn't have gyro yet modern combat 2 for it has been getting just as good reviews on the app store so what gives?

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I was seriously into the psp scene and I'll be honest most games on the app store haven't been close to the same PSP version this includes games like Fifa 11 which is recent and other ported games like Crimson Gem Saga and Chinatown wars.

That being said gaming on the Ipod/Iphone has really started to get serious and the PSP is definitely on it's last deathbed I'll always have a soft spot for the PSP but between apple and the upcoming Nintendo 3ds it's really starting to lose ground and seeing some of Sony's decisions lately I can see the PSP-2 being a complete flop.

I actually still really like my PSP but I've been gaming more and more on my Ipod instead lately and the price of the titles often tempts me so the app store has been getting far more of my wages than Sony.

11. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Yup. When I look at Chaos Rings and It's price-point, I'm proud to be gaming on an iDevice. Once the app store is getting games like these on more of a frequent and regular basis, then I'd say Apple's got portable gaming in the bag. As great as Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope etc are, games like that aren't borrowing from Sony's nor Nintendo's market share IMO. And they make "igaming" or whatever tough to take seriously.

We also need more serious developers making original, console quality stuff. Not just Gameloft and their clones, although I own and play quite a few of those. The Galaxy on Fire 2's and Samaurai II's are to few and far between.

BTW what the hell is SquareEnix up to with this Voice Fantasy crap? Put more people on the Tactics port team or something!

I'm so ready for Project Sword...

12. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    i guess sony is really gonna have a tough time pushing the android powered psp phone then? ...

i do feel ios games (despite being only around for a few yrs) can booast titles like flight control, fruit ninja and angry birds which are legitimate game classics, casual or otherwise.

and even ports like chinatown wars and need for speed are superior than their ds counterparts, and on par with psp ... some games like age of zombies actually surpass the psp version from what i have read

and the price points and ease of distribution means that ios games will never have a 2nd hand market, there is absolutely no need to!

i think ios gaming have changed up the video gaming industry more than most ppl realise ...

but despite this, hardcome game sites still refuse to have a section on ios gaming ... which surprises me a bit, only sites like ign does so and yet they cannot keep up with what toucharcade is reviewing

ipad i feel is leading more to eating the marketplace of traditional consoles, though in its current form, it is not there yet. i forsee apple making ipad a bigger gaming console beast than it is now ... but there is no need to rush into it ... ipad is still a novelty for a number of users, and is finding its niche .. eventually ipad will turn into a very powerful gaming machine

13. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I think the PSP and the DS are better for longer games, while the iphone is pretty fantastic for casual, and creative titles. I mean I've had bags of fun with titles like Drop7, WWF, Shirupa, and games like Action Buggy, or Flick Kick Football. But titles like racers, or rpgs I think I prefer playing on my PSP.

14. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    not true, i think iphone can sustain longer games, as evidencd by games like chinatown wars, but i do think iphone cannot match psp in terms of controls and certain games lend themselves better to touch controls than others ...

still fps like archetype and mc2 have shown that it is still very playable, just not ideal

15. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    #15 weehoo, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    I wonder if anyone realizes when they ask if the iPhone is "up to par" with the psp and DS that the iPhone4:

Is the only HD portable gaming system
    Is the only system that has 50,000+ games
    Does not use cartridges or UMD
    Has the most affordable prices for games
    Has the best FPS games of all portable systems
    (ex; COD zombies, MCSandstorm2, Nova, and coming soon, battlefield BC2)
    Has major developers scrambling to get their franchises in the app-store

!!!!! pretty amazing for gaming being a secondary function !!!!!

DEEP GAMING???

The people in denial about this haven't seen what the app-store is offering lately or are just ignorant and do not understand how fast the iPhone has evolved for gaming in just the past year.

16. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    When I got my 3GS, I was struggling to find a decent flying game or anything for that matter. Even the premium games like HOS1 ($10 at the time) sucked. Now look at the app store. It's a gamer's wet dream, and not every app in the store is a fart app or doodle jump clone.

My iPhone 4 is more fun than my PS3 and I find myself searching for iOS games more than anything else.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Naw man, CHaos Rings is an oddity for square. they are much more content making music fantasy gimmicks for our systems.

18. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Yea they're getting pretty good at disappointing me too. Take the music gimmick out of Song Summoner though and you've got a decent tactical RPG. I bought it when Squenix burned me on that fake FFT release date. It's solid IMO.

Nevermind Voice Fantasy though, what a joke.

19. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I'm not saying the iphone can't, I'm saying the games are typically more shorter. I think that does come when you have £24.99 games versus 99p games and developers are a little more likely to have a little bit more. Although as you do say there are exceptions like Chaos Rings, and Chinatown wars- which interestingly are actually higher in price than the standard app.

Agree with you about the controls. I mean the iphone has advantages of tilt-based controls and the accelerometer that the PSP does not. But then sometimes you just want to plain old controls and thats where the PSP can be a bit better.

(I'm not a PSP fanboy-probably more the Iphone having 146 apps but I do see the sort of contrast and edges each one has)

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I prefer touch controls to the PSP's controls. I think the PSP's controls are only really useful for arcade/button mashing games.
    And just about every other game is better suited to touch controls, IMO. FPS/TPS games work much better using the touch screen or gyro, racing games are also much easier to control using the accelerometer/gyro and then there are other gameplay mechanics such as line drawing, swiping, tilting etc which show just how versatile the iDevice is.